-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Boston University Application Thread
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
complete early sept
rejected email 🙁 today
MCAT 35 GPA 3.89
OOS
Did you get 1 email? I've heard about people getting a few.
complete early sept
rejected email 🙁 today
MCAT 35 GPA 3.89
OOS
I'm sorry to hear that janeeeeeeee. When exactly were you complete?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected as well. Complete 7/17. Note to future applicants: I wish I had used the optional essay to express my interest 🙁
I used the option essay to discuss my interest and "fit". Rejected. Don't beat yourself up over it. Go Yankees.
No, that's what I'm asking. Some schools extend interviews for dates when the class is already going to be full. Not sure if this is the case for BU. Some schools also prioritize applicants, offering them interview dates in the immediate future, or on the other end of the scale, months away.
I'm not sure if you found your answer, but we were told during my interview day that they interview in two rounds: First round through December and second round through March. The first round students get notifications in January, but only 1/3 of the seats are filled in January! So you will be interviewing for a seat 🙂 The students that didn't quite make the cut in January are pushed along and re-reviewed with round 2 students in March (assuming they aren't rejected in January.)
Any IIs lately?
I received a II on tuesday. I was complete around mid august and I didn't receive the 30 day email.
Rejected from BU just now. Complete 9/24. GPA > 3.6, MCAT > 38. Good luck to everyone else!!
Rejected from BU just now. Complete 9/24. GPA > 3.6, MCAT > 38. Good luck to everyone else!!
Wow on a Sunday?
Wow on a Sunday?
Yeah pretty brutal. First, Vandy last friday night at 10pm and now BU during a Sunday afternoon lunch when my parents were visiting me up in Boston. At least this rejection doesn't feel as bad as the first and I'm sure it'll get easier too.
To those who have received II/rejections and were complete mid-end September, are you IS or OOS?
To those who have received II/rejections and were complete mid-end September, are you IS or OOS?
OOS but currently live in Boston.
To those who have received II/rejections and were complete mid-end September, are you IS or OOS?
Hi again- I was complete 9/24, rejected 10/13, and I'm OOS. I think I do appreciate knowing earlier I wasn't a good fit rather than being stuck in uncertainty for a long time. Got plenty of work to do in the meanwhile. >.< Good luck to everyone!
oos but currently live in boston.
+1 (rejection, btw)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
to those who have received ii/rejections and were complete mid-end september, are you is or oos?
I'm IS, with an II.
I'm not sure if you found your answer...
Thanks!
I'm IS, with an II.
Thanks!
You were complete in September?
You were complete in September?
Oh, whoops. I was complete in August, and then had a hold on my account that was released in September. So I guess I don't count.
Oh, whoops. I was complete in August, and then had a hold on my account that was released in September. So I guess I don't count.
Might I ask how late in August? 🙂
Thanks! I'm OOS as well, complete on 09/19, and was trying to pinpoint where they are in evaluating applications.
I've come up with nothing. Maybe it's regional?
I've come up with nothing. Maybe it's regional?
Complete since 8/20 and haven't heard a peep. womp womp.
Thanks! I'm OOS as well, complete on 09/19, and was trying to pinpoint where they are in evaluating applications.
I've come up with nothing. Maybe it's regional?
I've been following this thread semi-obsessively since it's one of my top choices and their admissions process seems the most transparent (chronological review with only IIs and rejections given out).
Based on SDN, they've rejected applicants up until late September and issued II's for applicants up until mid August completion dates.
I've been following this thread semi-obsessively since it's one of my top choices and their admissions process seems the most transparent (chronological review with only IIs and rejections given out).
Based on SDN, they've rejected applicants up until late September and issued II's for applicants up until mid August completion dates.
So perhaps those of us who were skipped over in the recent stream of rejections potentially have an interview coming our way soon? 😀 I sure do hope so!
So perhaps those of us who were skipped over in the recent stream of rejections potentially have an interview coming our way soon? 😀 I sure do hope so!
I dont think that is the case. In the 30 day email, they said they HAD NOT gotten to my file, not that they have gotten to my file and have not given me a decision. This sucks cause I thought I would have heard from BU by now. But im trying this patience thing.
I dont think that is the case. In the 30 day email, they said they HAD NOT gotten to my file, not that they have gotten to my file and have not given me a decision. This sucks cause I thought I would have heard from BU by now. But im trying this patience thing.
Well then the selection process couldn't just be a chronological review. I searched through their website and they actually outline their review process! (www.bumb.bu.edu/admissions/applicationprocess/)
It appears as though first, there is an initial screen based on academic performance, MCAT, undergraduate institution, and various aspects of life history. Of the 12,000 applications, roughly 7,500 will pass this screen.
Next, they perform a holistic evaluation of each applicant's file in detail and of the 7,500 who made it to this stage, they will choose around 1,000 to interview.
Maybe those who haven't heard from BU in a while passed the initial screen and are just stuck in the pile of 7,500 waiting to be thoroughly reviewed. Or maybe even the initial screen isn't chronological and we have yet to start that process either.
Idk, I guess I will just sit tight! I love this school and even though I haven't even been complete 30 days yet, I am getting antsy.
Well then the selection process couldn't just be a chronological review. I searched through their website and they actually outline their review process! (www.bumb.bu.edu/admissions/applicationprocess/)
It appears as though first, there is an initial screen based on academic performance, MCAT, undergraduate institution, and various aspects of life history. Of the 12,000 applications, roughly 7,500 will pass this screen.
Next, they perform a holistic evaluation of each applicant's file in detail and of the 7,500 who made it to this stage, they will choose around 1,000 to interview.
Maybe those who haven't heard from BU in a while passed the initial screen and are just stuck in the pile of 7,500 waiting to be thoroughly reviewed. Or maybe even the initial screen isn't chronological and we have yet to start that process either.
Idk, I guess I will just sit tight! I love this school and even though I haven't even been complete 30 days yet, I am getting antsy.
let us hope that is true =). I've seen so many rejections from people complete in mid-september, I dont know if I should be excited or not to get an email from BU.
Well then the selection process couldn't just be a chronological review. I searched through their website and they actually outline their review process! (www.bumb.bu.edu/admissions/applicationprocess/)
It appears as though first, there is an initial screen based on academic performance, MCAT, undergraduate institution, and various aspects of life history. Of the 12,000 applications, roughly 7,500 will pass this screen.
Next, they perform a holistic evaluation of each applicant's file in detail and of the 7,500 who made it to this stage, they will choose around 1,000 to interview.
Maybe those who haven't heard from BU in a while passed the initial screen and are just stuck in the pile of 7,500 waiting to be thoroughly reviewed. Or maybe even the initial screen isn't chronological and we have yet to start that process either.
Idk, I guess I will just sit tight! I love this school and even though I haven't even been complete 30 days yet, I am getting antsy.
From the link you posted:
The initial screening step is based largely, but not exclusively, upon quantitative data such as academic performance at the undergraduate, post-baccalaureate and graduate levels, MCAT scores, and academic rank of the educational institution(s)
Judging from the number of 3.5+, 35+ candidates getting rejected in September, I'm pretty sure that they're well into the thorough 'holistic' reviews. I'm just hoping that Silk was cherry picked for his 41 MCAT (grats btw) and that all the late August/early September applicants (myself included) haven't been silently rejected

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From the link you posted:
The initial screening step is based largely, but not exclusively, upon quantitative data such as academic performance at the undergraduate, post-baccalaureate and graduate levels, MCAT scores, and academic rank of the educational institution(s)
Judging from the number of 3.5+, 35+ candidates getting rejected in September, I'm pretty sure that they're well into the thorough 'holistic' reviews. I'm just hoping that Silk was cherry picked for his 41 MCAT (grats btw) and that all the late August/early September applicants (myself included) haven't been silently rejected![]()
BU, as you can tell from the thread, doesn't silently reject people. They tell you right away if you aren't in the running. If you haven't heard back and you were complete a while ago they might be putting you on hold for now. But you are definitely in the running. For a data point, it was 5 weeks between my complete date and II.
BU, as you can tell from the thread, doesn't silently reject people. They tell you right away if you aren't in the running. If you haven't heard back and you were complete a while ago they might be putting you on hold for now. But you are definitely in the running. For a data point, it was 5 weeks between my complete date and II.
Going on 7 weeks now. The joke's on you though BU, I like sitting here nervously sweating and pondering my future

^^Thanks for the clarifcation volcomx
Me too. Interviewing here on Monday. How many people in the interview group?
Me too. Interviewing here on Monday. How many people in the interview group?
Hmmm, maybe 20? Didn't feel like a small group at all.
Hmmm, maybe 20? Didn't feel like a small group at all.
Were there any curve ball questions?
Were there any curve ball questions?
Everyone had a different experience in my interview group! I had the typical "stress interview" and I actually loved it. Just browse the SDN feedback and go over all of the typical questions (why medicine, why dr, why BU, etc) and you'll be fine!
Were there any curve ball questions?
Mine was interesting. Pretty conversational, to the point where I feel like the interviewer spent like 50% of the time talking and agreeing/expanding on something I had answered. There was only one "ethical" question, but it was in the context of my volunteer experience and wasn't hypothetical, so it was easy. Sounded like other people had hypothetical situations though.
Mine was interesting. Pretty conversational, to the point where I feel like the interviewer spent like 50% of the time talking and agreeing/expanding on something I had answered. There was only one "ethical" question, but it was in the context of my volunteer experience and wasn't hypothetical, so it was easy. Sounded like other people had hypothetical situations though.
I feel like my experience was very similar .. Except revise 50 to about 75%. Still awesome though. May even have had the same interviewer. Heh.
I feel like my experience was very similar .. Except revise 50 to about 75%. Still awesome though. May even have had the same interviewer. Heh.
Etiher they train to do this or we all had the same interviewer. Mine was maybe 75% them expanding on what I said or giving me advice on how to be a good doctor/ why I should go to BU. I thought I was able to interject and show how my experience modeled or prepared me for what they were saying. I did have one ethical question but I think I nailed it. I only had time to ask one question at the end. It was very low stress.
All in all I felt that it went well and that we connected. I just wish I was able to tell my story more.
Oh. And the dean of admissions. That man is a one man show. He is awesome and has his presentation polished. He loves what he does and it shows. It kind of made me want to buy into what he was selling. BU definitely moved up on my list.
Oh. And the dean of admissions. That man is a one man show. He is awesome and has his presentation polished. He loves what he does and it shows. It kind of made me want to buy into what he was selling. BU definitely moved up on my list.
Dude, I know. I loved this guy. He seriously almost made my cry at his end of the day speech, haha.
Received the "30-day" email from BU today.
OOS. Secondary submitted 9/18. Secondary complete 9/19.
OOS. Secondary submitted 9/18. Secondary complete 9/19.
I'm still marked complete as of 9/3
I have not received the 30 day email
Maybe they did forget about me... 🙁
I'm in the same situation. Marked complete on 9/3 and have yet to hear a peep.
I'm in the same situation. Marked complete on 9/3 and have yet to hear a peep.
I was complete around mid august and I received a II around October 10th. I didn't receive the 30 day email either, so I would not read too much into it. If you have not been rejected, you are still in the running! Just be patient. Best of luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just interviewed here on Friday and I have to say it seems like an amazing school. Doing clinical rotations at BMC would be enough of a draw but it also has a great location, research opportunities, nice facilities, and true P/F grading. All the current students I met were impressive and seemed really happy.
I just had a single one-on-one interview with a senior faculty member, which was structured around questions, including some of the ubiquitous ones, but was generally pretty conversational and low stress. Mine lasted 1h15min but most others were under an hour. At the end I was asked to analyze some ethical situations but there's no right answer as long as you can identify the stakeholders and factors at play.
They get so many applicants for each seat that a lot of it comes down to chance, so good luck to everyone.
FWIW I was complete August 9th and got an invite on Sept 17.
I just had a single one-on-one interview with a senior faculty member, which was structured around questions, including some of the ubiquitous ones, but was generally pretty conversational and low stress. Mine lasted 1h15min but most others were under an hour. At the end I was asked to analyze some ethical situations but there's no right answer as long as you can identify the stakeholders and factors at play.
They get so many applicants for each seat that a lot of it comes down to chance, so good luck to everyone.
FWIW I was complete August 9th and got an invite on Sept 17.
I'm sorry! 🙁Rejected pre-interview today. App completed on 9/9. MCAT 35, GPA 3.8
did you get the 30 day email?
Yup! And I forgot to mention, OOS.
Sorry for the rejection but thanks for telling us. I was beginning to think BU went on a mini vacation.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K