-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Boston University Application Thread
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
II today! Complete mid August.
Nice to see movement! Congrats
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
BU is not a state school. Why are you all focused on IS or OOS? There is no preference, as far as I know, and I went there.
Agreed. If we did the math and controlled for the proportion of state students that apply, we'd probably conclude that in state and out of state have the same chances. I suspect most of us know that though and are just saying it because we all like to include as much info as possible.
Agreed. If we did the math and controlled for the proportion of state students that apply, we'd probably conclude that in state and out of state have the same chances. I suspect most of us know that though and are just saying it because we all like to include as much info as possible.
Last cycle out of 836 in-state applicants, 171 were offered interviews.
Out of 10,065 out-of-state applicants, 864 were offered interviews.
So an interview rate of ~20% vs ~8% seems somewhat significant, although there's really no way to tell whether it is because of in-state favoritism or whether Massachusetts just produces superior med school candidates.
Tempted to add BU to my list but my stats aren't the greatest. Looks like some great applicants (number wise) are being rejected. Not sure if I should bother, but cant hurt to try??...
I say go for it. I've seen many people with MUCH higher stats than me get rejected from BU so far, and I interviewed very early in the cycle with them. I really think they try to go for a holistic review.
I say go for it. I've seen many people with MUCH higher stats than me get rejected from BU so far, and I interviewed very early in the cycle with them. I really think they try to go for a holistic review.
Appreciate it & best of luck to you!
Interviewing here next week... it is 1 interviewer, correct?
Interviewing here next week... it is 1 interviewer, correct?
Yep 1 interviewer.
Interviewing here next week... it is 1 interviewer, correct?
What day you interviewing? I'm there on the 28th.
Does anyone know if They are okay with us emailing thank you notes directly to the interviewer or if they want us to go through the admissions office?
Why would a school not want you to email notes to an interviewer .. ? You're being mindful of their courtesy in taking time from their schedule to meet with you.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When does BU start sending out acceptances?
January is the first batch then March is the second if I'm not mistaken
January is the first batch then March is the second if I'm not mistaken
Correct!
Does anyone know if They are okay with us emailing thank you notes directly to the interviewer or if they want us to go through the admissions office?
There is an option to upload a thank you letter through the application portal. I am assuming since this option exists, they would want you to upload it online. Plus, I think this way the letter is attached to your application.
Withdrew my II here a few days ago -- good luck to everyone applying!
Sorry to hear that. I was rejected long ago and have nothing useful to share, but though I'd pipe up since I like your avatar 😀. While it hurts to be rejected from here, at least they're quick on the decision...Rejected pre-interview today 🙁 Got the thirty-day email about a week ago so at least it was a quick turn around haha. Good luck to everyone still in the running! 🙂
Rejected pre-interview today 🙁 Got the thirty-day email about a week ago so at least it was a quick turn around haha. Good luck to everyone still in the running! 🙂
Im sorry for the rejection. Could you tell us your complete date? Thank you and good luck!
Rejected pre-interview today 🙁 Got the thirty-day email about a week ago so at least it was a quick turn around haha. Good luck to everyone still in the running! 🙂
I'm sorry to hear that! 🙁 Assuming that means you were complete roughly a week + 30 days ago puts you around the time I was complete as well. I personally know of only 1 person who scored an interview but many many more seemingly qualified applicants who have been rejected from here.
AAAH I'm so nervous. II or rejection, I just want to knoooow.
II yesterday! I was complete on August 26.
My stats:
undergrad cGPA - 3.22
undergrad sGPA - 3.07
grad cGPA - 3.97
grad sGPA - 4.00
MCAT - 10/11/10 and 12/14/15
Best of luck to everyone!
congrats!! what were the first available interview dates?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was complete a couple days after you. I must be coming up soon! I hope it's good news, but from BU, you never know!Interview Invite Today!! Ecstatic!
Complete 10/6
Date options: 11/6and 11/20(obviously chose this date)
Congrats on your interview!
Thanks! I didn't expect to receive an invite from Boston after seeing so many students with better stats getting rejected, so this was definitely an amazing surprise.
November 20 was the first date. The other dates were in January.
better stats? you're too humble. That grad GPA and MCAT make me drool. congrats on the invite.
I'm sorry to hear that : (. Do you mind sharing your complete date? It appears that they have passed over my date, but last week they were ALL over the place with rejections and IIs. The wait is torture!Rejected yesterday. Bummer.
I'm sorry to hear that : (. Do you mind sharing your complete date? It appears that they have passed over my date, but last week they were ALL over the place with rejections and IIs. The wait is torture!
I think 10/3
The wait is torture!
Agreed.
I'm not in school anymore, so I won't be doing this, but I'd say its a good idea!For those who've interviewed already, do you guys plan to send an update with this semester's final grades when you get them since BU gives decisions out in January?
For those who've interviewed already, do you guys plan to send an update with this semester's final grades when you get them since BU gives decisions out in January?
I believe they encourage these sorts of things.I just interviewed here this week and we got an email shortly after encouraging us to update our files throughout the semester so I imagine grades are a part of this. However, I also believe they review our files in Dec so I'd get your grades in ASAP if you want them to be seen!
Grade updates are optional, and not expected, right? I haven't been so excellent about staying on top of an otherwise-strong academic record. 🙂
I feel you on this oneGrade updates are optional, and not expected, right? I haven't been so excellent about staying on top of an otherwise-strong academic record. 🙂
Enjoyed BU at my interview. Some very strong aspects of the school.
Lo siento.Rejected yesterday. Bummer.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can you expand on what you thought was unique or strong at BU?Enjoyed BU at my interview. Some very strong aspects of the school.
Lo siento.
Cultural competency and diversity are well-definited. Both in terms of students and patients. BMC is a huge complex. The second years love their curriculum. The MSR. Boston. Research and global health opportunities. All make for a very solid choice.Can you expand on what you thought was unique or strong at BU?
The cost is my biggest negative.
Cultural competency and diversity are well-definited. Both in terms of students and patients. BMC is a huge complex. The second years love their curriculum. The MSR. Boston. Research and global health opportunities. All make for a very solid choice.
The cost is my biggest negative.
You got the intro from Dr. Witzburg, right? That man instantly made BU one of my top choices. haha
MSR?Cultural competency and diversity are well-definited. Both in terms of students and patients. BMC is a huge complex. The second years love their curriculum. The MSR. Boston. Research and global health opportunities. All make for a very solid choice.
The cost is my biggest negative.
But yes, agreed on all other points there.
He was gone for my interview day. I was so sad after hearing such great things!! 🙁You got the intro from Dr. Witzburg, right? That man instantly made BU one of my top choices. haha
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
