2013-2014 Boston University Application Thread

Started by JJMrK
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That was my complete date! But no email of any form. Is anyone having trouble logging into the status page? I'm wondering if they shut down my account and just forget to send the rejection notice...
 
Did you see the rejection I quoted above? Dude has a 4.0 39 and got rejected. Their selection process is indecipherable. They must be looking for some kind of unique features in applicants. Guess you have to when you receive around 10000 applications.

I'm awaiting my rejection any day now.

Gotcha, yeah. I also didn't write the optional essay...
 
That was my complete date! But no email of any form. Is anyone having trouble logging into the status page? I'm wondering if they shut down my account and just forget to send the rejection notice...

I just logged on with no problems. Maybe try a different browser? In general I've noticed that secondary sites can be a bit glitchy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just logged on with no problems. Maybe try a different browser? In general I've noticed that secondary sites can be a bit glitchy.

Ahh thank you. I had to resort to Explorer to get it to work. Mine still says complete from 7/18. If they're going to reject me I wish they would just put me out of this misery. :scared:
 
Wait, you already have interviews at Saint Louis, Michigan, Pitt, Baylor, UVA, Wake, Ohio State, and GWU but BU rejected you pre-interview?!

Lesson learned, this process truly is a total crapshoot. With so many applicants, it seems like they resort to coin flips. Guess yours came up tails.

I don't think anyone is "qualified" for a group of schools. All schools look at fit and I guess I just didn't fit in. Makes me wish I had written an essay instead of thinking "yay! another secondary without writing." Best of luck to the rest of you!
 
Last edited:
I don't think anyone is "qualified" for a group of schools. All schools look at fit and I guess I just didn't fit in. Makes me wish I had written an essay instead of thinking "yay! another secondary without writing." Best of luck to the rest of you!

Honestly though, what could you have written that wouldnt actually HURT your application? I feel like they were really stressing their applicants to NOT write the essay, unless they had a very unique "why BU" answer. The average applicant does not have that answer.
 
Honestly though, what could you have written that wouldnt actually HURT your application? I feel like they were really stressing their applicants to NOT write the essay, unless they had a very unique "why BU" answer. The average applicant does not have that answer.

I think there is something most people could write. I choose to include my diversity essay for an optional essay.

It doesn't seem like BU didn't want you to write something but instead they wanted you to point out something they wouldn't have picked up on just by reading your primary. Especially this part "For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself?" Unless you really never experienced people unlike yourself, most people should be able to find something meaningful to say.

Edit/ unless you mean the other optional essay where BU suggests most people don't need to write anything..well that's a different story 😛
 
Honestly though, what could you have written that wouldnt actually HURT your application? I feel like they were really stressing their applicants to NOT write the essay, unless they had a very unique "why BU" answer. The average applicant does not have that answer.

I used it to talk about my difficult journey to become an athlete and the lessons I learned from taking that path. Must have worked, but I feel like that prompt is very open to a variety of essays.
 
As someone with an II, a higher GPA, but below average MCAT for this school and did not write the essay I do not think it's fair to say that this school was looking for something in the essay or just stats. They appear to be looking at the whole package.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected today as well. They get so many applicants though so I am really not too shocked. You win some you lose some! Complete 7/10 for those who want to know. GPA ~3.9 MCAT 32.
 
As someone with an II, a higher GPA, but below average MCAT for this school and did not write the essay I do not think it's fair to say that this school was looking for something in the essay or just stats. They appear to be looking at the whole package.
What he said
 
To those fortunate to receive an II, does BU have a student hosting list up somewhere?

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back.
 
How soon is too soon to send an update letter? I have a paper that was recently published and another recently submitted, got a second job and was bumped up to full-time in my lab. I was complete 7/12, and late August obviously seems too early to submit an update, but with a school like Boston that receives over 10K applications, should I be more persistent?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Keep your heads up guys. BU seems to have a really random system but you all look like you have strong apps so I wouldn't worry about it. You'll have interviews coming your way in no time.
 
Gotcha, yeah. I also didn't write the optional essay...

Many people with average stats for BU got an interview without an optional essay. I've spoken to their dean of admissions and he really stressed the holistic approach that BU uses to look at applicants. I've spoken to my advisor who was on the admission committee and she said that she's turned down people with 3.9/35 because they application doesn't show that they could really live in a city like boston, or have no experience interacting with the minority communities and things of that sort. BU doesn't seem to have problems cutting people with high stats for whatever reason
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First rejection. 3.6/34Q OOS, complete 7/18

Been dodging bullets the past week, this was inevitable. BU earned my respect for not dragging this out for 5 more months. One less thread/status to check every day!