2013-2014 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted on Sunday 9/22 and just noticed I was already on hold today! I think it's because I didn't turn in my app. within the 4-6 week deadline (I was like 1-2 weeks late). However, I called admissions and they said it would be fine... :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted sometime in August, just went from under review to has been reviewed. My stats are above theirs but I suspect that my app may not jive with their mission, in that it's not community service heavy. We'll see what happens, i wouldn't be surprised or terribly bummed out if I got a pre-interview rejection

I submitted on Sunday 9/22 and just noticed I was already on hold today! I think it's because I didn't turn in my app. within the 4-6 week deadline (I was like 1-2 weeks late). However, I called admissions and they said it would be fine... :scared:

The same thing happened to me, except I submitted on Sunday (like 7/26 or something) and was put on hold Monday morning. I was not late or anything. I have not heard a peep since so I don't think it's good news

Members don't see this ad :)
that's depressing; i put a lot of work into my essays. oh well; good luck to the rest of you guys.

The same thing happened to me, except I submitted on Sunday (like 7/26 or something) and was put on hold Monday morning. I was not late or anything. I have not heard a peep since so I don't think it's good news

Where do you see the "Hold" status? What does it say?

Where do you see the "Hold" status? What does it say?

"Your file has been reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in April. If you are granted an interview, you will be contacted by phone and/or e-mail."

"Your file has been reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in April. If you are granted an interview, you will be contacted by phone and/or e-mail."

Hold today also. I really liked Loyola...

My status says my file is under review. There are rows for primary and secondary received. Should there be a row for letters received or does that show up after interview invite? How do i know I'm complete?

I feel like all I do is refresh my Loyola status :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get the has been reviewed status and end up with an interview?

My status says my file is under review. There are rows for primary and secondary received. Should there be a row for letters received or does that show up after interview invite? How do i know I'm complete?

There is no row for letters in mine.
If you are under review then you should be complete. At least that's what I'm guessing. I never got a complete email, and I submitted over a month ago.

How long were you all complete before II/been reviewed? I was complete 7/31 and I haven't had a status change yet.

Has anyone with the "has been reviewed" status (hold) been informed of being small-pooled? I called the office when my application was placed on hold and was told that I was small-pooled, but I'm wondering if anyone else has found this to be the case for their application as well....

Has anyone with the "has been reviewed" status (hold) been informed of being small-pooled? I called the office when my application was placed on hold and was told that I was small-pooled, but I'm wondering if anyone else has found this to be the case for their application as well....

I certainly haven't seen anyone report a status update or email that indicates a small pool even exists.

I certainly haven't seen anyone report a status update or email that indicates a small pool even exists.

Certainly, but like I said, I called in and was told that. I'm wondering if anyone else has called the school regarding their application status and subsequently been told that they have been small-pooled..

Certainly, but like I said, I called in and was told that. I'm wondering if anyone else has called the school regarding their application status and subsequently been told that they have been small-pooled..

I wish I was brave enough to call. I had that weird "under review" to "reviewed" to "under review" switch about 2 months ago and have silence ever since. I just am really afraid of pestering the school.

Oooh, now I'm curious... I'm so afraid to call, though. :/ What exactly did you say, just that you noticed you had been placed on hold and were wondering what that entailed?

I haven't heard of Loyola "Small pool"-ing officially (i.e. email saying you're small-pooled like MCW) but maybe it's a theoretical small pool... like they put you in the "gotta look at this one again!" pile type of thing. Either way, doesnt sound like a bad thing!

Hello! I was wondering if anyone knows the earliest interview date this year? I'm just curious. Also, anyone know if they interview every day or just certain days? Thanks :)

When I called in late August the earliest open interview dates were in mid-September--but I wasn't in the first batch of invites so I'm guessing there were early September interviews, too.

My invite email says they interview Monday-Friday and on a few Saturdays throughout the year--however, I've heard that the biggest interview dates are Saturdays (20 some applicants on those days) and that they don't necessarily always interview every day of the workweek (especially if no one picks a date). A friend interviewed on a Friday a few weeks ago and was the only one interviewing that day.

How long were you all complete before II/been reviewed? I was complete 7/31 and I haven't had a status change yet.

Complete 7-16, under review 7-17, II 8-15. My timeline starts a couple weeks sooner than yours, though. Are you not under review yet?

When I called in late August the earliest open interview dates were in mid-September--but I wasn't in the first batch of invites so I'm guessing there were early September interviews, too.

My invite email says they interview Monday-Friday and on a few Saturdays throughout the year--however, I've heard that the biggest interview dates are Saturdays (20 some applicants on those days) and that they don't necessarily always interview every day of the workweek (especially if no one picks a date). A friend interviewed on a Friday a few weeks ago and was the only one interviewing that day.

Complete 7-16, under review 7-17, II 8-15. My timeline starts a couple weeks sooner than yours, though. Are you not under review yet?

Thanks a lot!

I just switched from "has been reviewed" to "under review."

I feel like I'm reading tea leaves but I'm hoping for the trend to hold strong. Come on 2nd "has been reviewed."

For those of you who interviewed already, can you please tell me what time the day ends on a weekday? I'm trying to book a return flight for the same day. Thank you!

Secondary submitted. A bit late but I hope my strong Jesuit ties will help.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

For those of you who interviewed already, can you please tell me what time the day ends on a weekday? I'm trying to book a return flight for the same day. Thank you!

My group was done by 1:30, and the admissions staff got a cab for me, so I made my 4 pm flight with lots of time to spare.

So I transferred from my first undergraduate institution almost three years ago and have not been able to get in touch with any of the professors who knew me well. The one professor who knew me extremely well just retired about a year ago. I might be able to get one eventually from my old academic adviser to add to my three required letters from my current institution. Does anyone know if the transfer letter of recommendation is a hard requirement or is it just a strong suggestion? I'm ready to submit otherwise... I'm just concerned about this one letter.

"If you have transferred during your undergraduate career, please request at least one letter from a faculty member at each school you attended. These letters may fulfill part of the requirements stated above, or they may be submitted in addition to those required." -From the application instructions

Last edited:
My group was done by 1:30, and the admissions staff got a cab for me, so I made my 4 pm flight with lots of time to spare.

Seems like this can fluctuate, though. My second interview was at 2:30 and I wasn't done until 4 PM. I was the last person there, though.

Hmm--I never transferred, but I got my BA from one school in 2007 and returned to a second school in 2010 to take post bacc classes (didn't graduate). I didn't know about Loyola's request for letters from each school. I only submitted letters from the second school, and they invited me to interview a couple of weeks ago. You should call and ask!

So I transferred from my first undergraduate institution almost three years ago and have not been able to get in touch with any of the professors who knew me well. The one professor who knew me extremely well just retired about a year ago. I might be able to get one eventually from my old academic adviser to add to my three required letters from my current institution. Does anyone know if the transfer letter of recommendation is a hard requirement or is it just a strong suggestion? I'm ready to submit otherwise... I'm just concerned about this one letter.

"If you have transferred during your undergraduate career, please request at least one letter from a faculty member at each school you attended. These letters may fulfill part of the requirements stated above, or they may be submitted in addition to those required." -From the application instructions

Hmm--I never transferred, but I got my BA from one school in 2007 and returned to a second school in 2010 to take post bacc classes (didn't graduate). I didn't know about Loyola's request for letters from each school. I only submitted letters from the second school, and they invited me to interview a couple of weeks ago. You should call and ask!

Thanks! That makes me feel a little bit better about possibly not having the letter :) I'll be sure to call in the morning!

Hey friends! So I interviewed yesterday and had a great experience! Im happy to share or answer questions.
Wishing you all the best!:thumbup:

that's depressing; i put a lot of work into my essays. oh well; good luck to the rest of you guys.

I definitely took over a month to get submit mine. I'm not on hold yet! So I don't think it has to do with how long it took you. Plus, in their instructions, it sounded like they really want you to take your time instead of turning in some generic thing.

Does anyone know how religious this school is? Are there crucifixes in the classrooms? When rounding in the hospitals, are student doctors able to discuss contraception with patients? I would like to know these things prior to submitting an application here (lots of $$). Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide :)

Does anyone know how religious this school is? Are there crucifixes in the classrooms? When rounding in the hospitals, are student doctors able to discuss contraception with patients? I would like to know these things prior to submitting an application here (lots of $$). Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide :)

I was a little surprised at the how overt they were about it (bible quotes on walls and pens they handed out ect..). I have always been nonreligious so I thought it might be a bit much, but that being said, it never came up in a way that was uncomfortable. At the end of the day we got a very nice talk from the dean of admissions were he told us to choose wherever would make us happy and to pray on the decision, in whatever way we did that. It was pretty classy. I asked a few students what percent of the class was religious, everyone said about 25 percent

While I'm not a medical student at Loyola, I am a senior undergraduate student there and I can say it is WAYYYY more liberal than you are thinking. Yes it is Catholic, but the Jesuits are more left wing than most and Loyola even more so. There are crucifixes in our class rooms, but I can't imagine doctors not being able to talk about contraception. Loyola hosts an annual drag show each year and honestly I forget it's Catholic about 80% of the time.

It's a Jesuit institution, but that is by no means forced on the students or the patients that go to their hospital. There are certainly elements of Catholicism present (e.g. there is a "ministry" center, the occasional mass that you can go to if you want, etc.). We certainly discuss things like contraception and whatnot. I don't think that Loyola is big on therapeutic abortions, but if you wanted to see more of those you certainly have the opportunity to do so on away rotations and whatnot.

But in sum...the Jesuit background is certainly there but not a big deal. If anything, I personally think that it contributes positively to the "aura" that Loyola has. And FWIW, I'm not Catholic.

Hey friends! So I interviewed yesterday and had a great experience! Im happy to share or answer questions.
Hi Mmedran. Congrats on the interview, I hope it went well for you :) I'm interviewing at the end of the month and was just curious as to what time your day ended? The admissions office said we would be free to go after lunch, but was wondering if you had any more specifics to share. Thanks!

Hi Mmedran. Congrats on the interview, I hope it went well for you :) I'm interviewing at the end of the month and was just curious as to what time your day ended? The admissions office said we would be free to go after lunch, but was wondering if you had any more specifics to share. Thanks!

Hey girl! So I was told that my day was kinda out of the ordinary.... Both my interviews were packed in the morning and started immediately (I got there at 9 and my first was 9:30); I went solo on my tour with 2 M1s (they were fabulous!) followed by lunch with 3 M1 ladies. Afterward, I finally got time to fill out the 2 requirement sheets, met with the chair of admissions (about 2pm) and briefly met the associate dean; then they gave me a computer to fill out the interview day questionnaire online. I left at 3:30pm.

Hope that helps!

Congratulations on the interview! I'm interviewing there later this week and was wondering what you and your interviewer talked about? What topics came up and was the interview conversational or formal? Lastly, what impressed you about Loyola and what you didn't like? Thank you!

Congratulations on the interview! I'm interviewing there later this week and was wondering what you and your interviewer talked about? What topics came up and was the interview conversational or formal? Lastly, what impressed you about Loyola and what you didn't like? Thank you!

Well, my first interview was very chill and conversational and went so well, I only had 10min to make it to the next one! He asked me why I wanted to be a doctor and then asked about my family, research, travels abroad, and most importantly, why Loyola!?
Second interviewer was more formal but still comfortable and he asked more challenging questions... He asked if Ive ever seen someone die and how would I handle it? My thoughts on the time committment and missing kids' birthdays and holidays, etc? He was big on my research and we discussed the importance of publication. What my family thought of my pursuit of medicine? Etc.

Key: Everyone from interviewer to adcom chair asked me why Loyola? Also, your file is closed for both interviews (but they both asked my MCAT score...), fyi.

What I liked best: The students seem genuinely happy and have more free time than I ever imagined a medstudent would have! Also, their curriculum is dynamic. They just started anatomy and tried a different curriculum and students were not happy, so they changed it the following week to accommodate their M1s. The gym is spectacular! Oh and puppy therapy every other friday!
Liked the least: Goes without saying, but the pricetag! Also, they make you sign pages saying you understand that its your responsibility to qualify for loans, otherwise, your SOL... and that's just disheartening. Also, there's people everywhere! Bc facilities are shared with the hospital and school of nursing, there's a lot of hustle and bustle and Im used to more quiet (but thats a personal opinion)... this also leads to major trafffic en route to Maywood.:thumbdown:

Hope that helps :) Best of luck!

Well, my first interview was very chill and conversational and went so well, I only had 10min to make it to the next one! He asked me why I wanted to be a doctor and then asked about my family, research, travels abroad, and most importantly, why Loyola!?
Second interviewer was more formal but still comfortable and he asked more challenging questions... He asked if Ive ever seen someone die and how would I handle it? My thoughts on the time committment and missing kids' birthdays and holidays, etc? He was big on my research and we discussed the importance of publication. What my family thought of my pursuit of medicine? Etc.

Key: Everyone from interviewer to adcom chair asked me why Loyola? Also, your file is closed for both interviews (but they both asked my MCAT score...), fyi.

What I liked best: The students seem genuinely happy and have more free time than I ever imagined a medstudent would have! Also, their curriculum is dynamic. They just started anatomy and tried a different curriculum and students were not happy, so they changed it the following week to accommodate their M1s. The gym is spectacular! Oh and puppy therapy every other friday!
Liked the least: Goes without saying, but the pricetag! Also, they make you sign pages saying you understand that its your responsibility to qualify for loans, otherwise, your SOL... and that's just disheartening. Also, there's people everywhere! Bc facilities are shared with the hospital and school of nursing, there's a lot of hustle and bustle and Im used to more quiet (but thats a personal opinion)... this also leads to major trafffic en route to Maywood.:thumbdown:

Hope that helps :) Best of luck!

Thank you so much! Now I'm even more excited to interview here, not to mention more nervous too.

Hey girl! So I was told that my day was kinda out of the ordinary.... Both my interviews were packed in the morning and started immediately (I got there at 9 and my first was 9:30); I went solo on my tour with 2 M1s (they were fabulous!) followed by lunch with 3 M1 ladies. Afterward, I finally got time to fill out the 2 requirement sheets, met with the chair of admissions (about 2pm) and briefly met the associate dean; then they gave me a computer to fill out the interview day questionnaire online. I left at 3:30pm.

Hope that helps!

Oh one more thing: If you drive, you're asked to park in Deck A and it's $5 for the day, CASH ONLY. I typically carry plastic, but I made sure I had a few bucks on me for that reason.