2013-2014 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
when do they give out decisions? anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

when do they give out decisions? anyone?

Check last year's thread but I'm pretty sure earliest is Oct. 15 or 16, and then its whenever the committee meets, which is like every couple of weeks I think.

Also, interviewing here on Friday. The nerves have already kicked in >< aaaah!

Members don't see this ad :)
II this afternoon! 3.6-3.7 c/sGPA, 37 MCAT, average EC, complete mid-September. I was shocked because I really have no non-medical volunteering, and as such haven't gotten much Jesuit love. Totally awesome. Interviewing in December.

Check last year's thread but I'm pretty sure earliest is Oct. 15 or 16, and then its whenever the committee meets, which is like every couple of weeks I think.

First official date for acceptances through regular admissions is Oct 15, so I imagine the September intervieews will hear then. For those Interviewing this month, we should hear the week of Oct. 28th (as previously mentioned).

I dont know about you all, but Im burying myself in my work bc Im climbing the walls over here!!!

Loyola does not do pre-interview rejections, do they?

It seems like the "has been reviewed" is essentially a rejection disguised as a hold, correct?

It seems like the "has been reviewed" is essentially a rejection disguised as a hold, correct?

I'm wondering about this as well. I've also got the ambiguous "has been reviewed" status.

I'm wondering about this as well. I've also got the ambiguous "has been reviewed" status.

Call the admissions office and ask. I called to ask if this "has been reviewed" is a hold status, and I was told that while my application was on hold, it was also small-pooled. Call the admissions office, they may be able to provide similar clarification on this for your status. (and let us know what they tell you!) Good Luck!

I wish I was brave enough to call. I had that weird "under review" to "reviewed" to "under review" switch about 2 months ago and have silence ever since. I just am really afraid of pestering the school.

Oooh, now I'm curious... I'm so afraid to call, though. :/ What exactly did you say, just that you noticed you had been placed on hold and were wondering what that entailed?

I haven't heard of Loyola "Small pool"-ing officially (i.e. email saying you're small-pooled like MCW) but maybe it's a theoretical small pool... like they put you in the "gotta look at this one again!" pile type of thing. Either way, doesnt sound like a bad thing!

Hello,

I must have not noticed these posts - I usually get a notification if I was quoted...odd. The admissions office staff at Loyola are some of the nicest people I've had the pleasure of speaking to throughout the entire application process - you should not be afraid to call the office! They are so helpful!

I cannot remember exactly how I had phrased it, but essentially I asked if this was a hold status, they said yes, I asked if the committee typically invites a considerable number of applicants that were previously placed on hold (citing the fact that they receive so many applications) and they told me that alot of people get placed on hold, but a smaller amount of applicants with the hold status are considered to be in small pool. If you have the "has been reviewed" status, I would encourage you to call and ask if your application status means you are on hold, and/or if your application will be reviewed again. I wouldn't necessarily INUNDATE the office until someone gives you the answer you are looking for - just call once, be polite, and don't try and steer the conversation towards the answer you are looking for. Keep it simple, keep it sweet. They are very nice people and I'm sure people take advantage of that - don't be one of those people! (If you call, let us know what they tell you!)

Again, just a disclaimer: I did not receive any kind of email or official documentation saying that my application is "small-pooled," and it seemed like it would be in poor taste to have requested they provide that in writing. I trust the people in the admissions office know what they are talking about - they work there. Also, there is no "small-pool" status. It is probably a theoretical "pile" or "list" of applicants that the committee plans to look at again at some point in the application cycle - maybe they review them when there is a lull, or maybe they dedicate a week or two at some point later in the cycle to review everyone in the small pool.

There is no row for letters in mine.
If you are under review then you should be complete. At least that's what I'm guessing. I never got a complete email, and I submitted over a month ago.

Mine does

YOUR APPLICATION
Primary Application received
08/07/2013 Letters of Recommendation received (1)
08/12/2013 Invitation to submit Supplemental Application
09/21/2013 Supplemental Application received

Also did anyone complete around my date get an II yet?

Mine does

YOUR APPLICATION

Should I be worried that mine doesn't show a letters row. It does say "under review".

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine does

YOUR APPLICATION

Was the line for the letters always there? I was complete a month and a half ago, and it's still not there. Status says "under review."

Well, my first interview was very chill and conversational and went so well, I only had 10min to make it to the next one! He asked me why I wanted to be a doctor and then asked about my family, research, travels abroad, and most importantly, why Loyola!?
Second interviewer was more formal but still comfortable and he asked more challenging questions... He asked if Ive ever seen someone die and how would I handle it? My thoughts on the time committment and missing kids' birthdays and holidays, etc? He was big on my research and we discussed the importance of publication. What my family thought of my pursuit of medicine? Etc.

Key: Everyone from interviewer to adcom chair asked me why Loyola? Also, your file is closed for both interviews (but they both asked my MCAT score...), fyi.

What I liked best: The students seem genuinely happy and have more free time than I ever imagined a medstudent would have! Also, their curriculum is dynamic. They just started anatomy and tried a different curriculum and students were not happy, so they changed it the following week to accommodate their M1s. The gym is spectacular! Oh and puppy therapy every other friday!
Liked the least: Goes without saying, but the pricetag! Also, they make you sign pages saying you understand that its your responsibility to qualify for loans, otherwise, your SOL... and that's just disheartening. Also, there's people everywhere! Bc facilities are shared with the hospital and school of nursing, there's a lot of hustle and bustle and Im used to more quiet (but thats a personal opinion)... this also leads to major trafffic en route to Maywood.:thumbdown:

Hope that helps :) Best of luck!

Glad to hear that your interview went well, Mmedran. :thumbup:

For those who are interested, I talked a little about the recent changes in the anatomy curriculum in this post.

Stopping by to wish good luck to all those waiting for good news on Oct 15th! (if that's still the date). I, like eefen, am having a fantastic time at Loyola. It's a lot of work but there is a conscious effort to make it as easy on you as possible. I was one of the ones asking every school on the interview trail last year about students to body ratios for Anatomy, lol. It sounds good in theory, but in practice let me tell ya, it really doesn't matter. You will be drowning in so much info that any chance you get to study (rather than spend hours dissecting in the lab to reveal just a couple of muscles), will be very welcome.

And there's a lot to say for going where the medical students seem happy and have some free time. I'm so happy that I chose Loyola (and that Loyola chose me lol).

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user

For those who are interested, I talked a little about the recent changes in the anatomy curriculum in this post.

That post was really helpful! Thanks.

Thank you, sir! Really liked your discussion of the recent anatomy course changes :)

Rooting for all you September interviewees! Hope today's your day :xf:

Rooting for all you September interviewees! Hope today's your day :xf:

I'm dying over here :scared:

Also I'm struggling to deal with the fact that I'm 1 hour ahead so it's only 9:35 there :thumbdown: I just keep telling myself I won't hear back today

Was the line for the letters always there? I was complete a month and a half ago, and it's still not there. Status says "under review."

It has always been there since I was complete in 9/21.

Ahh acceptance call just now! :). Congrats to everybody else hearing good news from Loyola soon!

Interviewed 9/24

Last edited:
Got the call earlier today. Accepted! Interviewed 9/21. No status change on site.

Last edited:
congrats guys!! :)

any more acceptances for after 9/24????

Acceptees: Did your status change online? Help a nervous/anxious gal out :(

acceptance call today!!!!

soooo happy!

Good luck to everyone else!!!!

Got the call! I was teaching a lab section so I had terrible service and she just gave up and said she'd send me a letter haha

SO HAPPY. first acceptance :D

Accepted this morning via phone call while interviewing at tufts. Almost screamed and fist pumped. So freaking stoked.

Anyone there who's still under review?
I submitted 8/9, still no change in status..

Anyone there who's still under review?
I submitted 8/9, still no change in status..

I've been under review since 7/31, about a month ago I changed to "has been reviewed" but then changed back to "under review" less than a day after that

So if we did not get the call today it pretty much means rejection/waitlist right? Ughhhhhhhh such a bad day today

I am also wondering the same thing. If we did not get a call today, are we waitlisted?

So if we did not get the call today it pretty much means rejection/waitlist right? Ughhhhhhhh such a bad day today

I am also wondering the same thing. If we did not get a call today, are we waitlisted?

My understanding was that they may not get the chance to call all those accepted, so just wait to see what the letter in the envelope says :)

Frankly, I believe in wishing for the best and preparing for the worst... Ive already got loi/update info ready to go if waitlisted...

Remember, it ain't over til it's over!!:boom:

II yesterday, completed ~8/20 GPA 3.5+ MCAT 35+ IS

Just got the call!!!

Interview was late September.

Ahh acceptance call just now! :). Congrats to everybody else hearing good news from Loyola soon!

Interviewed 9/24

Got the call earlier today. Accepted! Interviewed 9/21. No status change on site.

acceptance call today!!!!

soooo happy!

Good luck to everyone else!!!!

Ahh! Just got the acceptance call! Interviewed 9/21

Got the call! I was teaching a lab section so I had terrible service and she just gave up and said she'd send me a letter haha

SO HAPPY. first acceptance :D

Accepted this morning via phone call while interviewing at tufts. Almost screamed and fist pumped. So freaking stoked.

Congrats guys!!

What does your status say?
It still says it's under review. I'm not sure if it ever changed to "has been reviewed."
You think it's a good idea to e-mail and check if it was in fact reviewed?
Or does this just mean I'm on hold? :(

II yesterday, completed ~8/20 GPA 3.5+ MCAT 35+ IS

Congrats! Good to hear there's still some movement..
But then again your MCAT score is ridiculous dude.:thumbup:

Last edited:
No interview yet (under review), I completed secondary early September. Was I too late?

I was all over the place when I got my call - are we supposed to wait for the letter in the mail that will say everything or should our online account change?

Still "under review" since July 22nd! I have to believe that isn't a good sign. If I am on hold I really hope I get a status change so I can stop checking this status.