You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Your file has been reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in April. If you are granted an interview, you will be contacted by phone and/or e-mail.
Is this pretty much a rejection at this point?
- Your file has been reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in April. If you are granted an interview, you will be contacted by phone and/or e-mail.
If you read back in the thread, some people have gotten this status and were offered IIs shortly after. Others received that status and didn't hear back yet.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is this pretty much a rejection at this point?
- Your file has been reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in April. If you are granted an interview, you will be contacted by phone and/or e-mail.
I've been there for a while now too and losing hope. Just scanning through the thread, it seems like not a single person has been rejected yet. When they receive 9500+ apps, it would be nice to at least find out where I am in the sea of applications.
I've been there for a while now too and losing hope. Just scanning through the thread, it seems like not a single person has been rejected yet. When they receive 9500+ apps, it would be nice to at least find out where I am in the sea of applications.
Actually 3000+ gets rejected by November when they fail to complete their secondary within the ~two month time period.
I think it varies on the weekdays, based on when your first interview is. They told me to come in at 7:30am because I had an interview at 7:45 or something. The rest of the interview group (5 people) didn't show up until like 9 or 10 that day because their interviews were later in the day. It sounds like the Saturday interview days are larger and much more structured than the weekday ones.Can someone confirm when the interview day starts if it's on a weekday? The information on the applicant portal says that weekend interview days start at 8am, but I'm not sure if the schedule is the same for weekdays as well.
I think it varies on the weekdays, based on when your first interview is. They told me to come in at 7:30am because I had an interview at 7:45 or something. The rest of the interview group (5 people) didn't show up until like 9 or 10 that day because their interviews were later in the day. It sounds like the Saturday interview days are larger and much more structured than the weekday ones.
Interesting. When did they let you know this? Nobody has called or emailed regarding when I need to show up.
Interesting. When did they let you know this? Nobody has called or emailed regarding when I need to show up.
I just asked when Ms. Porod called.
Interesting. When did they let you know this? Nobody has called or emailed regarding when I need to show up.
You should've gotten an email shortly after confirming an interview date. Try checking your spam folder.
Otherwise, I'd say call and ask! They're super nice! I had issues with the candidate portal and I just called and they fixed it within minutes.
You should've gotten an email shortly after confirming an interview date. Try checking your spam folder.
Otherwise, I'd say call and ask! They're super nice! I had issues with the candidate portal and I just called and they fixed it within minutes.
Annddd you're right on the money. Confirmed for 9:30am via email. Don't know how I missed that one, thanks!
So I've been reading through Loyola's website and past SDN threads to get a better idea of what the pre-clinical curriculum is like, because it seems unique compared to some other schools I've looked at. Can any current med students comment on whether I have the right idea?
1st year: block scheduling, traditional lectures with some PBL mixed in
2nd year: block scheduling, systems based
1st year: block scheduling, traditional lectures with some PBL mixed in
2nd year: block scheduling, systems based
So I've been reading through Loyola's website and past SDN threads to get a better idea of what the pre-clinical curriculum is like, because it seems unique compared to some other schools I've looked at. Can any current med students comment on whether I have the right idea?
1st year: block scheduling, traditional lectures with some PBL mixed in
2nd year: block scheduling, systems based
I looked through their academic calendars... shows class schedule and exam schedules. Maybe that'll give you a better idea:
http://www.stritch.luc.edu/calendar/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I've been reading through Loyola's website and past SDN threads to get a better idea of what the pre-clinical curriculum is like, because it seems unique compared to some other schools I've looked at. Can any current med students comment on whether I have the right idea?
1st year: block scheduling, traditional lectures with some PBL mixed in
2nd year: block scheduling, systems based
That's pretty much it, I suppose.
By the time we've finished first year, we'll have finished 6 or so classes (e.g. behavioral development, molecular cell bio and genetics, anatomy, physio, host defense, patient centered medicine, etc). We are generally only taking one or two classes at a time though, and one of those classes is the patient-centered medicine (PCM) course (our "doctoring" course where we learn things like the physical exam, pt interviewing, etc) that runs throughout the first three years (and really doesn't take up too much time. Mostly). Right now, for example, we are taking physiology and PCM. Before Christmas break, we were taking anatomy and PCM. It's really not too bad... I remember when I was looking at school schedules, and was trying really hard to find schools that left most afternoons free. Loyola does (today I was at school from 8:30 am to 10:30 am....and if you don't like lectures, you could have just watched the recording later...). One of the schools that I was looking at had only one afternoon scheduled per week, but you were in school from 8-12 am, every day, plus that one afternoon. At the time, I thought that was cool, but now, it's really nice to have most days be much shorter than that. But I digress...
There is a bit of PBL, but it's fairly tastefully done, and isn't for every class. There is a bunch in the beginning for a few weeks, then it tapers to basically nothing, and we've picked it up again in the spring for a once a week session where we talk over some physiology problem sets related to what we learned in class that week.
Second year is more of the same, except it shifts to taking what amounts to pathophysiology, pharm, and PCM for the entire year in a systems-based manner. That's all I can really say about that at this point.
Also, you may have found this, but here's a link to our schedule on a day-to-day basis: http://www.stritch.luc.edu/calendar/index.cfm?class=1 The calender can be sort of confusing to interpret at first, but it really boils down to a pretty reasonable schedule. I'm happy with how things have been so far.
On an unrelated note, I figured you guys might be interested in some stats from the admissions office:
Acceptance stats thus far:
-9,900+ applications, 700+ interviews, ~ with matriculating lass size of 150
-DACA students: 9 accepted from 9 different countries (34 interviewed)
Last edited:
I looked through their academic calendars... shows class schedule and exam schedules. Maybe that'll give you a better idea:
http://www.stritch.luc.edu/calendar/
That's pretty much it, I suppose.
By the time we've finished first year, we'll have finished 6 or so classes (e.g. behavioral development, molecular cell bio and genetics, anatomy, physio, host defense, patient centered medicine, etc). We are generally only taking one or two classes at a time though, and one of those classes is the patient-centered medicine (PCM) course (our "doctoring" course where we learn things like the physical exam, pt interviewing, etc) that runs throughout the first three years (and really doesn't take up too much time. Mostly). Right now, for example, we are taking physiology and PCM. Before Christmas break, we were taking anatomy and PCM. It's really not too bad... I remember when I was looking at school schedules, and was trying really hard to find schools that left most afternoons free. Loyola does (today I was at school from 8:30 am to 10:30 am....and if you don't like lectures, you could have just watched the recording later...). One of the schools that I was looking at had only one afternoon scheduled per week, but you were in school from 8-12 am, every day, plus that one afternoon. At the time, I thought that was cool, but now, it's really nice to have most days be much shorter than that. But I digress...
There is a bit of PBL, but it's fairly tastefully done, and isn't for every class. There is a bunch in the beginning for a few weeks, then it tapers to basically nothing, and we've picked it up again in the spring for a once a week session where we talk over some physiology problem sets related to what we learned in class that week.
Second year is more of the same, except it shifts to taking what amounts to pathophysiology, pharm, and PCM for the entire year in a systems-based manner. That's all I can really say about that at this point.
Also, you may have found this, but here's a link to our schedule on a day-to-day basis: http://www.stritch.luc.edu/calendar/index.cfm?class=1 The calender can be sort of confusing to interpret at first, but it really boils down to a pretty reasonable schedule. I'm happy with it.
On on unrelated note, I figured you guys might be interested in some stats from the admissions office:
Acceptance stats thus far:
-9,900+ applications, 700+ interviews, ~ with matriculating lass size of 150
-DACA students: 9 accepted from 9 different countries (34 interviewed)
Thank you both for your answers.
Does anyone know if Loyola does silent rejections, or do they let you know one way or the other?
II just now. Complete mid-Sept with no status change (I had just checked this morning). I did submit an update about a week ago. IS 35 3.8
hey guys, I received my acceptance letter. Its just one letter right? (not a packet?) Also, where do we get the declaration of Intent? All they mailed me was a letter of acceptance.
When were you accepted? I'm still waiting for my packet also.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Just received the dreaded "has been reviewed" status. Hoping for an invite, sent in an update about 3 weeks ago.
When were you complete? TnxJust received the dreaded "has been reviewed" status. Hoping for an invite, sent in an update about 3 weeks ago.
1/23When were you accepted? I'm still waiting for my packet also.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Just got off the phone with admissions and they said all of the remaining interview dates have been scheduled (last interview date is March 8)
Edit: And if anyone with a later interview date would be willing to switch with the one I was assigned (Feb 15) PM me. I tried to reschedule it but then got put on a waitlist in case of last minute cancellation for a later date.
Edit: And if anyone with a later interview date would be willing to switch with the one I was assigned (Feb 15) PM me. I tried to reschedule it but then got put on a waitlist in case of last minute cancellation for a later date.
Last edited:
By scheduled do you mean filled?Just got off the phone with admissions and they said all of the remaining interview dates have been scheduled (last interview date is March 8)
Edit: And if anyone with a later interview date would be willing to switch with the one I was assigned (Feb 15) PM me. I tried to reschedule it but then got put on a waitlist in case of last minute cancellation for a later date.
Yes sorry filledBy scheduled do you mean filled?
Well I'll scratch Loyola off the list of schools I'm still waiting to hear from
Well I'll scratch Loyola off the list of schools I'm still waiting to hear from
+1
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought they interview through April.
That's what I thought as well, considering that's what their website AND the portal say.
I'm not even going to try and decipher what is happening because this is just a crapshoot hahaThat's what I thought as well, considering that's what their website AND the portal say.
Pre-interview hold. They told me my app is being given a second look. Here is to hoping
Did you call them or get some sort of notification?
Pre-interview hold. They told me my app is being given a second look. Here is to hoping
You realize that all the interview days are filled right?
Did you call them or get some sort of notification?
They don't send any type of notification.
I called them, they told me that February dates are filled and they are reviewing for March.You realize that all the interview days are filled right?
They don't send any type of notification.
They don't send any type of notification.
Notification i.e. email. They have sent emails to invite people to interview. Also, just because interview days are filled doesn't mean more people could get invites. Some who have accepted interviews could drop out due to acceptances to other schools.
EDIT: Just called. Didn't tell me much about my personal application but:
1. II are STILL being sent out through Feb for interviews through March.
2. Acceptances are still being offered.
Last edited:
Notification i.e. email. They have sent emails to invite people to interview. Also, just because interview days are filled doesn't mean more people could get invites. Some who have accepted interviews could drop out due to acceptances to other schools.
EDIT: Just called. Didn't tell me much about my personal application but:
1. II are STILL being sent out through Feb for interviews through March.
2. Acceptances are still being offered.
Very strange since they told me that I was put on a waitlist for the next available interview date... and that all of the interview dates had been filled (through March 8 which they said was the last). Unless they haven't opened/scheduled the next wave of interview dates (after March 8)? Now I'm confused.
When you said they have sent emails for ii did you mean today?Notification i.e. email. They have sent emails to invite people to interview. Also, just because interview days are filled doesn't mean more people could get invites. Some who have accepted interviews could drop out due to acceptances to other schools.
EDIT: Just called. Didn't tell me much about my personal application but:
1. II are STILL being sent out through Feb for interviews through March.
2. Acceptances are still being offered.
Can anyone speak towards movement once placed on Loyola's waitlist? Also, advice/time-frame for sending a LOI? Appreciate it!
When you said they have sent emails for ii did you mean today?
No, sorry, just in general. It seemed like they started with only doing phone calls for ii, but now it's a mix of calls/emails
On a separate note, FAFSA filed last week. Financial packet mailed today!
Oh good maybe you can help then lol. I just got my parents' tax stuff and it is pretty lengthy. Should I just send in the whole thing? I'm sure there's something specific that they want but knowing me I'd leave something important out on accident. Same with my taxes, just send all the pages?
The blue folder has a list of things you should include like schedules and such. For you, it should just be the top 2 pages plus all w2s. Frankly, I say send it all and they'll use what's needed. Alas, you can always call the financial aid office to ask specifics.Oh good maybe you can help then lol. I just got my parents' tax stuff and it is pretty lengthy. Should I just send in the whole thing? I'm sure there's something specific that they want but knowing me I'd leave something important out on accident. Same with my taxes, just send all the pages?
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been wondering the same. I spoke to admissions today and they advised the admissions committee was scheduled to meet at 430pm and acceptance calls would be conducted the following day (tomorrow). Any other decisions would be given through snail mail. I'm just wondering what the protocol is if they're not able to call all acceptees?
Has anybody gotten a call yet today?
I've been wondering the same. I spoke to admissions today and they advised the admissions committee was scheduled to meet at 430pm and acceptance calls would be conducted the following day (tomorrow). Any other decisions would be given through snail mail. I'm just wondering what the protocol is if they're not able to call all acceptees?
ah thanks for the info. Did they happen to say around when they would call today?
ah thanks for the info. Did they happen to say around when they would call today?
No, they said they would be contacting applicants at all times through out the day. If you end up getting a phone call post it on here, so everyone knows that calls are already being made. I'll do the same and hopefully others will as well.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K