2013-2014 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
See this:

And I called them myself today; sounds like they are still working on LOR problems. They said my letters were all received (despite the portal saying my file was not complete yet) and that they would change my status to complete (they haven't yet, but I figure they will soon).

If you're still worried, try calling--it was easy enough to get a hold of someone who could look at my file and see that my letters were all received.
Thank you! I will definitely do that in the next couple of days if it has not changed! =)

Members don't see this ad.

I think my application is now considered a "hold" at Loyola :/

Members don't see this ad :)
what does your status say?

"Your file is under review with the Committee on Admissions. Please note: files can be in review until the end of the interview season in April"

According to last year's thread, this is worded very similar to the SDN consensus for "hold" status.

I truly hope I'm wrong, but my instincts don't usually fail me, for better or for worse :/

"Your file is under review with the Committee on Admissions. Please note: files can be in review until the end of the interview season in April"

According to last year's thread, this is worded very similar to the SDN consensus for "hold" status.

I truly hope I'm wrong, but my instincts don't usually fail me, for better or for worse :/

Oh no, that's my status as of today as well

I was hoping it meant someone was actually looking at it... as opposed to just being marked complete :/

Oh no, that's my status as of today as well

I was hoping it meant someone was actually looking at it... as opposed to just being marked complete :/

Do you remember what your status said before? I can't quite remember what mine said before today, I just know it was different - like something along the lines of "complete" and "review" and "allow one month"?

Do you remember what your status said before? I can't quite remember what mine said before today, I just know it was different - like something along the lines of "complete" and "review" and "allow one month"?

It was something like ' we have received all materials, you're app will be/has been sent to the committee of admissions for review'

The thing is, they haven't offered interview invites yet. So suppose our status means they reviewed our apps and weren't that into them... but what would the status be for someone who they reviewed and are interested in?

It was something like ' we have received all materials, you're app will be/has been sent to the committee of admissions for review'

The thing is, they haven't offered interview invites yet. So suppose our status means they reviewed our apps and weren't that into them... but what would the status be for someone who they reviewed and are interested in?

"We have received all required information and your file will be processed by the Admissions Office." <--- that's what mine says.. so it definitely changed! Not sure what your status means, though.

"We have received all required information and your file will be processed by the Admissions Office." <--- that's what mine says.. so it definitely changed! Not sure what your status means, though.

I think that's what mine said until today... what did yours say before this?

I don't mean to make such a big deal of these statuses, but Loyola is a top choice of mine..

My secondary was received there as of the 10th and the "file under review" message was there until today, when it changed to this, which I'm assuming is the "hold" message:

"Your file has been reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in April. If you are granted an interview, you will be contacted by phone and/or e-mail."

My guess is, they're still waiting to see how the next few batches of applications shape up before offering any interview invites. It was early August last year before any invites went out, so there's a while to wait yet.

I think that's what mine said until today... what did yours say before this?

I don't mean to make such a big deal of these statuses, but Loyola is a top choice of mine..

That was the first status that I noticed. I only submitted a couple of days ago! So you guys are ahead of me :)

My secondary was received there as of the 10th and the "file under review" message was there until today, when it changed to this, which I'm assuming is the "hold" message:

"Your file has been reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in April. If you are granted an interview, you will be contacted by phone and/or e-mail."

My guess is, they're still waiting to see how the next few batches of applications shape up before offering any interview invites. It was early August last year before any invites went out, so there's a while to wait yet.

Oh you seem to be ahead of me. They've actually finished reviewing your app. I don't know if I'd consider that 'hold' since they haven't offered interviews yet. I'd say that looks hopeful.

I'm going to log off and not think about this for a while..

Members don't see this ad :)

That's what mine says, too! My letters were just processed yesterday after a call to their office, so they probably haven't even looked at my file yet.

Wow, sounds like your app has gotten pretty far! I agree with your guess--and you very well could end up in the first batch of ii's. :)

Interview invite will be something like "status feedback not yet defined" according to last year's thread.

Does the fact that it's a Jesuit school have a large affect on curriculum or student life? I'm thinking about applying (Chicagoan, non-trad), but that one aspect is pretty unappealing to me.

Does the fact that it's a Jesuit school have a large affect on curriculum or student life? I'm thinking about applying (Chicagoan, non-trad), but that one aspect is pretty unappealing to me.
I would definitely take some time to research the values promoted by a Jesuit education. It's not the whole "churchy" thing that you'd expect, it's much more about have a well-round, justice based education. In my experience, the Jesuits put more emphasis on both global and community service, rather than solely a faith-based experience.

I'm unsure why you think this is a hold... I went to last years thread and saw that "Under Review" is simply... under review. The status that says "Your file has been reviewed..." seems to be more parallel to a hold status.

I'm a rising senior in college, and I will get my BA in a year. Loyola's requirements are that you have a bachelor's degree. Is that requirement for when you start, or when you apply? Will I not be considered this cycle? MSAR says that you need the bachelor's the year of the application cycle, but this didn't register until now.

Edit: Email sent with this question, but I'm 90% confident I answered my own question...

My status changed this one today: "Your file is under review with the Committee on Admissions. Please note: files can be in review until the end of the interview season in April."

Exciting! :)

My status changed this one today: "Your file is under review with the Committee on Admissions. Please note: files can be in review until the end of the interview season in April."

Exciting! :)

So did mine… I'm beginning to think that isn't a hold status. They actually mean they're reviewing our apps hahahaha (SDN<--- super duper neurotic)

Just got put under review too. Here's hoping for an II soon! :xf:

So did mine… I'm beginning to think that isn't a hold status. They actually mean they're reviewing our apps hahahaha (SDN<--- super duper neurotic)

I guess that's my bad haha. I really want to go here....and I have no self-confidence at all....I'm like Eeyore from Winnie-the-pooh. Sorry for the false alarm folks lol.

I guess that's my bad haha. I really want to go here....and I have no self-confidence at all....I'm like Eeyore from Winnie-the-pooh. Sorry for the false alarm folks lol.

The voice actor for Eeyore is the same for Optimus Prime.

be-an-optimist-prime-4756-1283979887-3.jpg

I love this thread...seriously you guys are awesome!

hey i was just wondering if there are any questions regarding disciplinary action/conduct violations by an university on this secondary and what is it specifically?

im in a situation where my school said i dont have to report the incident to amcas but i feel as if i might divulge it in a secondary if asked..thanks guys

hey i was just wondering if there are any questions regarding disciplinary action/conduct violations by an university on this secondary and what is it specifically?

im in a situation where my school said i dont have to report the incident to amcas but i feel as if i might divulge it in a secondary if asked..thanks guys

this is all i see 8. Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic or parking violation? If
the answer is yes, please attach an explanation on a separate sheet.

Idk if there is more

I would definitely take some time to research the values promoted by a Jesuit education. It's not the whole "churchy" thing that you'd expect, it's much more about have a well-round, justice based education. In my experience, the Jesuits put more emphasis on both global and community service, rather than solely a faith-based experience.

Thanks! I'm all about the values, just not sure if I would feel comfortable in a religious setting, since I consider myself atheist. I've heard that the religion has very little effect on the education, but I've never heard any specifics.

Howdy Y'all!

I spoke to an admissions person this past week over the phone regarding minimum MCAT.
He told me flat out it was a 29....

He also said you need that minimum to get a secondary app sent to you.

I'm posting this cuz someone else had said that the MCAT minimum was around a 24, which I dont think this is the case with the info I acquired directly from the school....

Hope this helps!

Feel free to call the school as well!

hello all,

quick question,
I havent submitted my AMCAS since my MCAT is in a week...and it takes about a month for the app to be processed and to receive my mcat score...

what do yall think, is that too late for this cycle?!

Howdy Y'all!

I spoke to an admissions person this past week over the phone regarding minimum MCAT.

I'm posting this cuz someone else had said that the MCAT minimum was around a 24, which I dont think this is the case with the info I acquired directly from the school....

Hope this helps!

Hey, yeah that was me who said that. I also spoke directly with the school and they told me 2.7/24. Maybe the person I spoke to was misinformed?

Valid question. First, I'm only incoming M1, but heard this question addressed several times in the process. There was also some discussion of this in last year's thread. Basically, the answer is no, it won't have a large effect on your education. You might see the Jesuit perspective presented alongside other views in an ethics discussion, for example. You also won't be able to see an abortion at Loyola's main campus - if that's something you are interested in, you will have the opportunity to rotate through other medical campuses. Other than that (and the super friendly environment and occasional prayer on holidays, etc.) it won't really be different from any other school.

I'm a rising senior in college, and I will get my BA in a year. Loyola's requirements are that you have a bachelor's degree. Is that requirement for when you start, or when you apply? Will I not be considered this cycle? MSAR says that you need the bachelor's the year of the application cycle, but this didn't register until now.

Edit: Email sent with this question, but I'm 90% confident I answered my own question...

As long as you are on track to get your bachelors by matriculation, you should be fine.

Hey, yeah that was me who said that. I also spoke directly with the school and they told me 2.7/24. Maybe the person I spoke to was misinformed?

I received a secondary the first day they came out and I have a 28

Howdy Y'all!

Hope this helps!

Seeing as the MSAR lists Loyola's 10th percentile of matriculated student MCAT scores as a 29, somehow I don't think they're auto-screening people with a 29...

This is like the zillionth case I've heard of people in admissions offices giving applicants demonstrably false information. I guess we should start walking the talk early on and getting second opinions. :)

Last edited:
Anyone know stats on those who received interviews last year? I know they evaluate applicants holistically, but still...?

Valid question. First, I'm only incoming M1, but heard this question addressed several times in the process. There was also some discussion of this in last year's thread. Basically, the answer is no, it won't have a large effect on your education. You might see the Jesuit perspective presented alongside other views in an ethics discussion, for example. You also won't be able to see an abortion at Loyola's main campus - if that's something you are interested in, you will have the opportunity to rotate through other medical campuses. Other than that (and the super friendly environment and occasional prayer on holidays, etc.) it won't really be different from any other school.

Great feedback! Thanks so much. I think I am going to add this school to my AMCAS!

Dear Stritch School of Medicine,
I love you. Please invite me to join your community. I've been there before and it is academic paradise.
Love,
YankeeBean
P.S. Go Bears!

Well maybe he told me a 29 was the minimum for an out of stater such as myself...I'm from Texas.

And if the school told you that themselves well maybe it is a 24 MCAT minimum haha, that way most of us stand a better chance!

Well maybe he told me a 29 was the minimum for an out of stater such as myself...I'm from Texas.

And if the school told you that themselves well maybe it is a 24 MCAT minimum haha, that way most of us stand a better chance!

It was for receiving a secondary, not admission lol.

Seeing as the MSAR lists Loyola's 10th percentile of matriculated student MCAT scores as a 29, somehow I don't think they're auto-screening people with a 29...

This is like the zillionth case I've heard of people in admissions offices giving applicants demonstrably false information. I guess we should start walking the talk early on and getting second opinions. :)

I don't know about you, but honestly, I would MUCH rather have an MCAT score most similar to matriculants than to all applicants or all interviewees. :)

Also, nowadays, it's virtually impossible to matriculate into medical school with a 24, unless of course you go to a Caribbean school or matriculate under some sort of special program for under privileged populations.

It was for receiving a secondary, not admission lol.

Yeah I know.
When I asked him what the minimum was he said "a 29 to receive the secondary app."

If it is in fact a 24 minimum, then more people will be receiving secondaries.

I don't doubt that 24 is a minimum for receiving a secondary, especially if they don't fully screen your application until both apps have been submitted, as someone had pointed out earlier.

Not sure what to make of this, but I submitted my secondary yesterday (on a Sunday). This morning I check my status and get, "Your file has been reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in April. If you are granted an interview, you will be contacted by phone and/or e-mail."

My thinking is, either their admissions committee is very fast or that a decision was made prior to receiving my secondary. If the latter is true, I am going to go out on a limb and say that it does not bode well.

Not sure what to make of this, but I submitted my secondary yesterday (on a Sunday). This morning I check my status and get, "Your file has been reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in April. If you are granted an interview, you will be contacted by phone and/or e-mail."

My thinking is, either their admissions committee is very fast or that a decision was made prior to receiving my secondary. If the latter is true, I am going to go out on a limb and say that it does not bode well.

Stats?