2013-2014 Rush Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do they silently reject here? I've been complete since July...
Hey all, M1 here. I was complete at Rush right away, but didn't get an interview at Rush until end of January. I am currently classmates with 2 other people who interviewed with me that day. None of us we're wait listed, we were all directly accepted. It seemed really late at the time (heck, I was planning on attending a different school since my last interview had been months ago in October), but they really do accept people until late in the season and they haven't necessarily passed you over.

I LOVE Rush! Everyone is super supportive and friendly ( the M2s are always offering advice, tutoring, and a sympathetic ear, the m3 and m4s do too, we just see them rarely) and the school is VERY community service oriented. Chicago rocks!
Good luck!
 
Hey all, M1 here. I was complete at Rush right away, but didn't get an interview at Rush until end of January. I am currently classmates with 2 other people who interviewed with me that day. None of us we're wait listed, we were all directly accepted. It seemed really late at the time (heck, I was planning on attending a different school since my last interview had been months ago in October), but they really do accept people until late in the season and they haven't necessarily passed you over.

+1. Lots of people in my class interviewed/accepted late despite early completed apps.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interview Wednesday (11/6)! Ahhhh!!!! Any advice from someone who has already interviewed here?

Oops, you've probably had at least one interview by now. Just be yourself. I remember being very comfortable talking to my interviewers. I found them very easy to talk to and don't think I have heard of any other classmates talking to a particularly stern person.

I completed my app in mid-Nov, judging from my google doc final draft date and received an II in mid Jan for Feb/March. A number of people in the M1 class didn't interview until March and were still accepted.
 
Oops, you've probably had at least one interview by now. Just be yourself. I remember being very comfortable talking to my interviewers. I found them very easy to talk to and don't think I have heard of any other classmates talking to a particularly stern person.

I completed my app in mid-Nov, judging from my google doc final draft date and received an II in mid Jan for Feb/March. A number of people in the M1 class didn't interview until March and were still accepted.

It was definitely very laid back. I enjoyed myself. Rush seems like an awesome place to attend medical school, and Chicago is awesome.
 
Can any med student speak to the research opportunities at Rush? Clearly it is a tremendous hospital, what kind of access is there to those physicians (ortho, Neuro, etc.)
 
Can any med student speak to the research opportunities at Rush? Clearly it is a tremendous hospital, what kind of access is there to those physicians (ortho, Neuro, etc.)

M1 here. My experience with the plethora of research at Rush is rather limited given that I haven't been here for very long and my knowledge is limited to what I personally explored. Most of the PIs I know of are PhDs, not MDs (not sure if you have a preference or not).

If you're interested in Ortho, then Rush is the place to be for that and there are a number of MD and PhD researchers. A number of fellow M1s will be starting their research projects in the Rush Orthopedics building this semester. I'm not exactly sure what their projects are, but there are basic science and retroactive chart review projects among that group. Neuroscience seems to have a strong presence here too, if that's what you are considering. There is a strong emphasis on Alzheimer's research (that was my impression based on what I was exposed to here) which you can learn more about here. Someone else is doing something in immunology and another found a project doing clinical trials for a drug. If there is a specific area you are interested in, but can't find it on the website (because the website sucks), PM me and I can find the right people to ask about it.

You can opt to participate in a research elective, or find and conduct research with a PI on your own. The immediate benefit of the research elective is that the course administrators give us a list of researchers who have agreed to mentor an M1, although people are more than welcome to find a PI that isn't on the list. One of the M2s I spoke to in the beginning of the year had a good research experience that she found independently.

Not a lot of M1s have started their research projects yet...or no one that I am aware of at this time, so I don't have much insight as to how the experience is overall.
 
Last edited:
Can any med student speak to the research opportunities at Rush? Clearly it is a tremendous hospital, what kind of access is there to those physicians (ortho, Neuro, etc.)

There are tons of research opportunities and several in every single field.

If you have a super narrow idea/interest, it may be more difficult.

Ortho is phenom-no need to elaborate. Alzheimers Center puts out papers, that are cited extensively, all the time. Movement disorders/neuro also super legit. Our section head is Goetz who legit wrote the Textbook of Clinical Neurology(he lectures m1s as well). We also have Kompoliti and Verhagen-Metman who wrote the Movement Disorder Encyclopedias. Rush definitely has some major badasses, who are international experts in their fields (just like every school).

My classmates did research in every imaginable field-bench and clinical- based on their interests, a lot with MDs. My PI was MD/PhD and was a clinician-researcher, which there are a great number.

There's tons of access. Researchers either advertise or you can cold email. I had a professor recommend a PI toe and had a great summer and got paid to do clinical research. I emailed a few in many different specialties and some were open to creating a project of my choosing (I ended up really liking the project my PI had already started). I know several classmates who emailed around and kinda "shopped" around before deciding. They are all very open to having medical students on their projects, have not heard otherwise at all. I chose a summer project that I am still finishing up (my PI is reallllly understanding of my m2 schedule) . Some started immediately in M1 and some are starting now-totally up to you. Research elective 100% unneccessary in my opinion.
 
Woahhh II!!! Haha and here I thought I was passed over. Complete 7/24 got the email at 8pm!
 
My first II !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Complete 9/26. So excited!!! And I already had a trip home to Chicago planned for December so I picked a date that lined up. SO PUMPED
 
II last night!!!! Will be interviewing 12/4.

Stay patient everyone! I'm sure your II will arrive in your inbox when you least expect it. After all, it's only the beginning of II season!

EDIT: complete 10/6
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Glad to see the IIs picking up. I was complete mid-September so I'm hoping I hear some good news soon. 🙄
 
Definitely read through last years thread, there is so much good information about the process, the school, and the students.
 
II this morning! I was complete in early July so this was a surprise. I'll be going 1/08/14. Unfortunately, I couldn't take any of the earlier dates due to exams (still being in school sucks!) :/ but hey--I'll take any date I can get so I'm happy! I just hope having an interview so late in the season doesn't hurt my chances here...
 
II this morning! I was complete in early July so this was a surprise. I'll be going 1/08/14. Unfortunately, I couldn't take any of the earlier dates due to exams (still being in school sucks!) :/ but hey--I'll take any date I can get so I'm happy! I just hope having an interview so late in the season doesn't hurt my chances here...

nice!! how'd it go?

i feel like since my interview is this wednesday, i should be looking for interview tips and everything
 
Glad to see the IIs picking up. I was complete mid-September so I'm hoping I hear some good news soon. 🙄
When I applied, I was complete mid September,II around Christmas, interviewed early January and straight up accepted 3 weeks after

Rush does not interview for wait list spots specifically. Everyone has a shot of acceptance even late in the interviews.
 
There are tons of research opportunities and several in every single field.

If you have a super narrow idea/interest, it may be more difficult.

Ortho is phenom-no need to elaborate. Alzheimers Center puts out papers, that are cited extensively, all the time. Movement disorders/neuro also super legit. Our section head is Goetz who legit wrote the Textbook of Clinical Neurology(he lectures m1s as well). We also have Kompoliti and Verhagen-Metman who wrote the Movement Disorder Encyclopedias. Rush definitely has some major badasses, who are international experts in their fields (just like every school).

My classmates did research in every imaginable field-bench and clinical- based on their interests, a lot with MDs. My PI was MD/PhD and was a clinician-researcher, which there are a great number.

There's tons of access. Researchers either advertise or you can cold email. I had a professor recommend a PI toe and had a great summer and got paid to do clinical research. I emailed a few in many different specialties and some were open to creating a project of my choosing (I ended up really liking the project my PI had already started). I know several classmates who emailed around and kinda "shopped" around before deciding. They are all very open to having medical students on their projects, have not heard otherwise at all. I chose a summer project that I am still finishing up (my PI is reallllly understanding of my m2 schedule) . Some started immediately in M1 and some are starting now-totally up to you. Research elective 100% unneccessary in my opinion.

Thank you all so much for the thoughtful responses. This helps a ton
 
You have different people come talk about Rush and its curriculum, volunteering etc. You have two tours and lunch with medical students.

You get a lot of time to ask questions as well.
Two tours? Of what? Also, are the interviews in the am or pm or are the interviewees split into groups for different time slots? How many people per interview day are there, generally? And how long will I have to wait (in agony) for an admissions decision after attending the interview? I'm too excited for this one (and it's 2 months away)! Yay! 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Two tours? Of what? Also, are the interviews in the am or pm or are the interviewees split into groups for different time slots? How many people per interview day are there, generally? And how long will I have to wait (in agony) for an admissions decision after attending the interview? I'm too excited for this one (and it's 2 months away)! Yay! 😀

When I interviewed early October, one tour was of the clinical facilities (Rush/Stroger), and one was of the Academic facilities (On my day, there were about 20 interviewees). As far as the interview schedule goes, I had mine back to back in almost first thing in the morning, but there were some that had one before and one after lunch.

Rush is doing an interesting process this year where the admissions committee is only sending out decisions on four specific dates. The first of these is this coming Friday (11/15), then 1/10, 3/14, and 4/11. So I'd assume that if you interview reasonably before one of those dates, the next one is when you'd hear a status update. It's actually kind of nice to not be preoccupied with racing to my computer everytime I hear a mail ding!
 
Pretty sure they're still doing two tours and going outside even with the cold weather. Bring a coat!
 
When I interviewed early October, one tour was of the clinical facilities (Rush/Stroger), and one was of the Academic facilities (On my day, there were about 20 interviewees). As far as the interview schedule goes, I had mine back to back in almost first thing in the morning, but there were some that had one before and one after lunch.

Rush is doing an interesting process this year where the admissions committee is only sending out decisions on four specific dates. The first of these is this coming Friday (11/15), then 1/10, 3/14, and 4/11. So I'd assume that if you interview reasonably before one of those dates, the next one is when you'd hear a status update. It's actually kind of nice to not be preoccupied with racing to my computer everytime I hear a mail ding!

Do you know if the committee meets at certain days during the month? My interview is scheduled for 12/11, that seems a reasonable enough time before the 1/10 date for a response, I would hate to have to wait 3 months...