2013-2014 Rush Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone hear anything lately? Seems like Rush is taking its time this year.

Let them take allllll the time they want. I'd rather they actually consider my application instead of doing a once over.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone hear anything lately? Seems like Rush is taking its time this year.
You'd think they'd be in more of a.... RUSH. Ehehehehehe.

Oh my. I'll excuse myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, y'all, I'm jchap, and I'm an M2 at Rush! Yeeeehaw!

Rush is awesome, so let's spice this thread up a bit -- who's got some interesting questions about Rush or med school in general? Feel free to ask anything that hasn't been asked 2340586701 times already...I'm curious what you guys are curious about!

and now, here's a dancing lock, just for good lock. <---!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #rushstudentsaresofunnyyyyyyyandcoolllll

:lock:

Hey, y'all, I'm jchap, and I'm an M2 at Rush! Yeeeehaw!

Rush is awesome, so let's spice this thread up a bit -- who's got some interesting questions about Rush or med school in general? Feel free to ask anything that hasn't been asked 2340586701 times already...I'm curious what you guys are curious about!

and now, here's a dancing lock, just for good lock. <---!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #rushstudentsaresofunnyyyyyyyandcoolllll

:lock:

I saw in your MD apps you were accepted at UIC as well. What made you choose rush over uic?

I saw in your MD apps you were accepted at UIC as well. What made you choose rush over uic?

These were my final 2 that I was deciding between.

So, I have a short answer and a long answer for this. I'll give the short answer; details available upon request:

-They're both excellent schools, and I know very many happy students at each school.

-In my own experience, people I spoke with at UIC really liked it, and people I spoke with at Rush LOVED it, and wouldn't shut up about it. Their enthusiasm was a big factor for me.

-I thought the main advantage with UIC was cost. But, when I really did more research, I found that the total COA (cost of attendance) at UIC was actually a few thousand MORE than the COA of Rush, even with me being in-state! I absolutely couldn't believe that (it had to do with giant tuition increases passed at UIC right before I made my decision, and I don't know if they've tempered those increases since then).

-The new hospital at Rush is obvs beautiful, but mostly it was just a symbol for me that Rush is "movin' on up." But by that point, I was probably looking to confirm my own bias toward Rush. It did have I think the second-biggest jump in the rankings that year. The rankings don't matter for crap really while I'm here, but again, I was looking for signs from above, so I took that.

-Rush's deep commitment to community service. I actually just spent 4 hours this evening helping run a free clinic at Haymarket, a residential drug/alcohol rehab facility near Rush. The feeling of serving our surrounding neighborhoods and giving our time is really infectious around here, and I could sense that before I even had my first day. It's not a facade -- people here really do care.

Again, I'm sure that much of what I wrote is also true for UIC, so you're in great shape at either place.

I only know that I haven't regretted my decision to come to Rush for a second.

Check out the sweet blog/website about RCSIP a classmate just created : http://rcsipclinics.wordpress.com/

It'll have info on our clinics, not every single volunteer group is listed by any means. This is brand new, but a blog is coming!

II yesterday! So excited for this opportunity to interview at Rush! But has anyone else had trouble with scheduling? The interview tab hasn't popped up for me

II yesterday! So excited for this opportunity to interview at Rush! But has anyone else had trouble with scheduling? The interview tab hasn't popped up for me

I'm in the same situation. I sent a reply to the ii email explaining that I couldn't access the interview tab but I haven't heard back yet.

Congrats! When we you complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
II yesterday. complete on 9/25. URM 29 MCAT 3.4 GPA
I'm also having trouble scheduling, I called Rush and the person who tried to transfer me said that no one was in the office at the time. So I sent an email yesterday and I'm not anticipating a response until Monday earliest.

Super stoked either way!! Thought I wouldn't get any attention from them because I didn't have any community service.

<--M3 at Rush available if anyone has questions about clinical rotations, or other stuff. Good luck to everyone!

Does rush review in order of date submitted? I hope not now! :scared: :scared:

II yesterday as well! Complete early July. Will be withdrawing, goodluck to all those applying!

Does rush review in order of date submitted? I hope not now! :scared: :scared:

Not sure, but an admissions officer came to my school last spring and did say that applications get looked at multiple times throughout the cycle. So if you were passed up for an interview this time, don't lose hope!

Just a heads up to all the recent II's, it looks like the interview scheduling is up and running again.

Received an II here around noon! I was really hoping to hear from this school since both Temple and Rush were my top OOS schools that I applied to. However, now that I got into Temple I'm not sure that I'm going to fly out to Rush to interview :( I guess I'll take the day to figure it out. It would be nice to have choices!

Received an II here around noon! I was really hoping to hear from this school since both Temple and Rush were my top OOS schools that I applied to. However, now that I got into Temple I'm not sure that I'm going to fly out to Rush to interview :( I guess I'll take the day to figure it out. It would be nice to have choices!

Congrats on the II! When were you complete?

If you don't, you'll never know what Rush is like. And if you have never been to Chicago, I would also HIGHLY recommend visiting :).

If you don't, you'll never know what Rush is like. And if you have never been to Chicago, I would also HIGHLY recommend visiting :).

My aunt lives about 30 mins from Chicago (it would definitely be nice to see her too!) and she has taken me into the city a few times! I was younger though so I wasn't able to appreciate it as much, but I'm sure I would love it. I'm also a big foodie so that's just the right place haha. I really do want to interview.....

I submitted on 7/11 and I think I was complete shortly after! I thought they completely passed over me

Oh glad to hear you were complete in July. I was complete a couple weeks after you and haven't heard anything since I was marked as complete. Rush is one of my top schools so really hoping for an II!

Oh glad to hear you were complete in July. I was complete a couple weeks after you and haven't heard anything since I was marked as complete. Rush is one of my top schools so really hoping for an II!

Are you in state?

Can anyone who has interviewed in the past share their experience? I noticed that it is a long interview day but there are only 2 1:1 interviews.

Can anyone who has interviewed in the past share their experience? I noticed that it is a long interview day but there are only 2 1:1 interviews.

You have different people come talk about Rush and its curriculum, volunteering etc. You have two tours and lunch with medical students.

You get a lot of time to ask questions as well.

I don't know if there is actually an Admissions Office phone number for the general applicant to call...At least when I tried last year, I got an automated message telling me to e-mail the Admissions Office. I only know that because I tried calling when I was trying to confirm my interview date/time so I could book plane tickets a few weeks before my interview. I also had trouble confirming my interview time with the online scheduling system, so just be a little patient. With Rush, I've noticed that there's a learning curve to using computer-y stuff to get things done, especially when the system is new and there are bugs to take care of, but the staff are overall very responsive to fix things.

If I remember correctly, they interviewed (ballpark) 450 and accepted 255, and 129 matriculated, so the numbers are promising if you do get an interview. My impression was that someone interviewing in February/March still has a good chance of being accepted.

^ yeah I couldn't find a number either.

For the interview, do we meet at the S Paulina address listed in the email?

if us citizen, will a drivers license suffice for citizenship verification?

hi,if us citizen, will a drivers license suffice for citizenship verification at RUSH?

Yeah, go to 600 S Paulina and when inside there should be signs directing you to where you'll be based for the day.

if us citizen, will a drivers license suffice for citizenship verification?

No. This is straight from their secondary application: "Note: Copies of a state issued ID or Social Security Card will not be accepted."

You need to upload a copy of your birth certificate, passport, or permanent resident card.

Did anybody select more than 2 letters on the letter of rec section, all of them are good, i really want them to glance at all o them. i think i'll just select of all them??? (4 letters)

Did anybody select more than 2 letters on the letter of rec section, all of them are good, i really want them to glance at all o them. i think i'll just select of all them??? (4 letters)

are you kidding me? look at the directions. it says select two. the reason they do that is because they probably dont want to have to read all the letters of every applicant.

go ahead and select all 4 if you want to piss off the adcom by not following very clear and explicit directions

I called and asked, only after an interview has been sent do they consider other LORs - I'd say pick your two faves.

are you kidding me? look at the directions. it says select two. the reason they do that is because they probably dont want to have to read all the letters of every applicant.

go ahead and select all 4 if you want to piss off the adcom by not following very clear and explicit directions

A bit blunt.

received II today!!

sort of relieving to find out the first school to respond back to you responds with an invite

looking forward to the interview