2013-2014 Texas Tech - Lubbock Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it normal to see "no status found" under the application status review section?

Members don't see this ad.

II!!! I chose August 9th, MD/MBA

3.5 GPA
30 MCAT (scores released 7-23)
TMDSAS transmitted 6-17
Secondary complete 6-7
Crap-ton of clinical research experience

Members don't see this ad :)
Email!
Edit: Also, they are offering interview dates on wednesdays and fridays this year.

Congrats on the invite!

Yup, they'll have interviews Wed and Fri for about a month then switch to only Fridays. Usually when they have 2 interview days per week, they do smaller groups. When they switch to only doing Fri interviews, they'll have bigger groups.

Got the invite today! Picked August 9.
32, 3.47, 1000+ volunteer/shadowing hours. Early decision/FMAT.
Good luck everyone. I know the wait is frustrating (and I only waited 2 months) but you can make it!

Yeah, I HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY.

It doesn't conflict with anything else, and early is good, so I'm gonna make it happen. Gonna be a loooong drive, though, haha!

I'll be there chillbo! What's your name man?? I'm Dean.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY.

It doesn't conflict with anything else, and early is good, so I'm gonna make it happen. Gonna be a loooong drive, though, haha!

Great! See you there!! I'll be the one looking terribly excited :)

PM'd with some deets. :thumbup:

Edit: your inbox is full. :laugh:

Sauron? Who's that? I'm just trying to get to the Lonely Mountain. Stupid eagles only took us partway.

Did anyone wonder... why the eagles didnt just take frodo to Mount Doom and do a round trip instead of a one-way flight??:confused:

Did anyone wonder... why the eagles didnt just take frodo to Mount Doom and do a round trip instead of a one-way flight??:confused:

Are you guys speaking metaphorically about your flight trouble to Lubbock? Or are you really talking about Lord of the Rings? :laugh:

Probably the biggest plot hole. I just looked at an article and it gave three reasons: it'd be a really short, boring story, the eagles don't take orders from anybody, and they'd be super obvious.

I still think they could've reasoned with the eagles that it was for the greater good. And as for being obvious, how are the bad guys supposed to stop them? If they left early enough, the Nazgul would still be on horses, and good luck trying to take out the eagles with archers or anything else.

Are you guys speaking metaphorically about your flight trouble to Lubbock? Or are you really talking about Lord of the Rings? :laugh:

It's always time to talk about LotR.

Got an II, but Merlin only gives me August 9th as an option. :scared:

Talk about a short turnaround.

I also got an interview invite today with August 9th as my only option... Got to love that advanced notice! Fortunately, I live in Lubbock...unfortunately, I have a final exam that day.

Probably the biggest plot hole. I just looked at an article and it gave three reasons: it'd be a really short, boring story, the eagles don't take orders from anybody, and they'd be super obvious.

I still think they could've reasoned with the eagles that it was for the greater good. And as for being obvious, how are the bad guys supposed to stop them? If they left early enough, the Nazgul would still be on horses, and good luck trying to take out the eagles with archers or anything else.

It's always time to talk about LotR.

:thumbup:

I think Ill wear the one ring to my interviews to dominate the will of my interviewers :cool:

Why do I get the impression that Texas Tech has the II rate of a 60 year old trying to urinate with an enlarged prostate.

Why do I get the impression that Texas Tech has the II rate of a 60 year old trying to urinate with an enlarged prostate.

Probably the rate of a SENILE 60 year old with Alzheimers..

Did you send the interview invites out?

"What interview invites?"

VERY impressed with all the facilities and everything today!

Except that the highway layout and directions/signs between Sweetwater and San Antonio are terrible, haha.

My biggest fear now is that I'm gonna love every school in its own way and have to choose between them all. :(

I just interviewed here recently and I thought that I would share my thoughts for anyone interested.

The students seemed very happy. *No one had a negative thing to say about the program, and though this may be typical of interviews I thought that it was neat.

The sim center was pretty amazing. *I got to do a gallbladder removal :) *They said that you can sign up to use the facilities anytime you want.

Great global health opportunities. *I talked to a few students who went to Nicaragua this summer and they loved it (and it was funded by the university). *They have tons of programs all over the world, and allow you to find your own in any location (not on the US travel warning list).

Still trying to understand the regional 3rd and 4th year. *They have 3 locations to choose from (Lubbock, Amarillo, and Odessa). *Curriculum looked integrated and solid. *They are only in class 20 hours or less per week (except anatomy block). Only 4-6 per cadaver if I remember right.

My interviews were great. *I felt a tad grilled on the first, but he was super nice. *The second was very conversational and he told me he enjoyed getting to know me and that I did a great job. The people here are just so nice.

The student run clinic is once a week, and people seemed very involved.

Overall, I was a little surprised about how much I liked it! *It just felt like a great campus. *Everyone seemed happy, and the people were stellar. *It would be a great place for medical school, and it definitely jumped up on my personal list. *Any questions, let me know! *I am OOS, so any specific questions about that are welcome too.

-Edit- I have no idea what all the "*" were about... maybe because I did it from my phone...

Had a great interview day yesterday! MBA interview was a little intense, I wasn't expecting that but the interviewer was incredibly nice. My MD interviewers were great, too!

Lubbock is super chill and seems to be a great place to go to med school. I would be so happy to match here.

Interviewed for the FMAT program on Friday. Agree with everyone else about the 'niceness' of faculty members, current med students, the facilities. Overall feel was very welcoming and all three of my interviewers wanted me to pick Tech for different reasons. For others interviewing there, the interviewers are semi-blind in that they haven't seen your GPA/MCAT- which would've been nice for me to know while I was prepping. If you have specific questions about my experience and want answers from a nontrad just PM me! Good luck everyone!

Is anyone else interviewing at TT tomorrow? I just found out I should have received some kind of information packet. Can someone tell me what was in it? (Trying get info. from TT as well but not responding.) Is there a social tonight?

Is anyone else interviewing at TT tomorrow? I just found out I should have received some kind of information packet. Can someone tell me what was in it? (Trying get info. from TT as well but not responding.) Is there a social tonight?

Did you get the email? It has almost all the info you need, plus a link to some additional stuff on their website.

I can't say for sure, but they didn't have a social last week, so probably not.

For those interested, they're now posting video recordings of our lectures. (They used to only post audio, but now they do both). They post the recordings within 48 hours of lecture so there is some delay (usually either audio or video is up within 24 hours)

I'm not sure if this is normal.

After submitting my secondary application, I went to review it and the 'supplemental portion' starts with question 3. It displays my responses from questions 3 and 4 in this huge block of text. The rest of the questions/responses don't appear.

...Is this normal? :scared: :( :scared:

I'm not sure if this is normal.

After submitting my secondary application, I went to review it and the 'supplemental portion' starts with question 3. It displays my responses from questions 3 and 4 in this huge block of text. The rest of the questions/responses don't appear.

...Is this normal? :scared: :( :scared:

My responses all got smushed into a giant paragraph. I called and asked about it and the girl said that things are coming in okay on their end and they aren't sure why we see it that way.

Thanks! I confirmed with admissions. :thumbup:

My responses all got smushed into a giant paragraph. I called and asked about it and the girl said that things are coming in okay on their end and they aren't sure why we see it that way.

Hi all - just wanted to let you guys know that there are some IIs up on Merlin that have not been e-mailed out. I got one a couple of days ago for THIS Wednesday and I still haven't received an e-mail. The only indication was that my status changed on Merlin and I was suddenly able to schedule the interview under "Interview Scheduling."

I'm super excited, but it was definitely not a lot of time to prepare, so I wanted to let you guys know, in case you have one too! Good luck all! :)

Hi all - just wanted to let you guys know that there are some IIs up on Merlin that have not been e-mailed out. I got one a couple of days ago for THIS Wednesday and I still haven't received an e-mail. The only indication was that my status changed on Merlin and I was suddenly able to schedule the interview under "Interview Scheduling."

I'm super excited, but it was definitely not a lot of time to prepare, so I wanted to let you guys know, in case you have one too! Good luck all! :)

This is scary. Makes me wonder if I missed an interview because I didn't check Merlin considering the turnaround time for interview dates for those without email invites have been very short. :(

SUPER IMPORTANT:

I just spoke to admissions. Apparently they had NO idea that people weren't receiving the e-mails until 1) really late (like day before) or 2) sometimes not at all. She wants anyone who has had the issue of no e-mail to call admissions so that they can figure out the issue. They said what happens is that they just see "pending" on their end until they have to fill that interview slot with someone else because they assume you've received the e-mail. CHECK MERLIN.

To everyone who hasn't gotten a II, my suggestion is to check Merlin at least once a week in case what happened to a couple of us happened to you!

For the record, I have Gmail and still had this issue of just straight up not receiving an invite by e-mail. If I hadn't checked Merlin I would have no idea about my interview in 2 days.

Good luck all. PM me any questions since I had a lengthy talk with admissions. :)

SUPER IMPORTANT:

I just spoke to admissions. Apparently they had NO idea that people weren't receiving the e-mails until 1) really late (like day before) or 2) sometimes not at all. She wants anyone who has had the issue of no e-mail to call admissions so that they can figure out the issue. They said what happens is that they just see "pending" on their end until they have to fill that interview slot with someone else because they assume you've received the e-mail. CHECK MERLIN.

To everyone who hasn't gotten a II, my suggestion is to check Merlin at least once a week in case what happened to a couple of us happened to you!

For the record, I have Gmail and still had this issue of just straight up not receiving an invite by e-mail. If I hadn't checked Merlin I would have no idea about my interview in 2 days.

Good luck all. PM me any questions since I had a lengthy talk with admissions. :)

Thanks for posting what you learned. I've already been checking Merlin fiendishly... but good to know haha.

I'm gonna be in all sorts of trouble if I don't get a decent heads up. Not sure what I'd do in that situation.

I wonder if this includes application received emails also? I haven't received an email from TT Lubbock or El Paso yet confirming they have my application.

Interview Invite!!

Havent decided a date yet.

8/26 or 9/6.

What about everyone else?

I know I can't decide because, I am from OOS, and traveling costs are really hurting the pocketbook right now. If I interview in August I don't have school yet, but if I wait until September I will be in school. However, flights are horrendously expensive into Lubbock right now, and driving would take 15-17 hours. :(

I know I can't decide because, I am from OOS, and traveling costs are really hurting the pocketbook right now. If I interview in August I don't have school yet, but if I wait until September I will be in school. However, flights are horrendously expensive into Lubbock right now, and driving would take 15-17 hours. :(

picked 8/28. Less traffic on the highways on a tuesday/wednesday compared to friday/saturday.

that's so awesome that you are getting lots of ii! that seems like really short notice... 2 weeks?

I had three dates to choose from.

8/23
8/28
and 9/6

Merlin updated today so its about 1 week in between lol.

Not that I mind, I would rather hammer out these interviews out now and save the later months for LOI updates and AMCAS schools.