2013-2014 The Commonwealth Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tots

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I was thinking about applying here. Can anyone tell me if they're oos friendly? MSAR says they're a private, but it also says in their selection factors that their ideal applicant is from the Scranton, PA area. I'm trying to pare down my list and don't want to apply to a regional school that'll think I'm using it as a safety and have them reject me out of hand.

3.6/35+/oos

They accept 30% out of state. I'm not sure that they're incredibly out of state friendly - but I do know that they won't reject you simply because you're out of state. Show some genuine interest and you should be okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received a secondary? I want to pre-write the essays but with my luck they will change the prompts...

I'm surprised that the secondary has yet to be sent out. I thought this would be one of my first ones!

Just got the secondary (TCMC's a' workin for the weekend). Prompts:

1. List the 5 most important attributes you feel a physician should possess.
2. Choose one attribute from the above list, and describe one personal experience that best exemplifies that attribute.
3. Given TCMC’s unique missions and values, please tell us why you feel you are a good fit for our institution.
4. TCMC values diversity and is committed to maintaining an inclusive environment. How do you think you can contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion?
5. Using 1-3 sentences, explain how your admission to TCMC could assist in addressing the health care needs of Northeastern Pennsylvania.
6. If you could speak directly to the Admissions Committee, explain why you should be admitted to The Commonwealth Medical College.

1500 character limit on all.

Is there anyone here who is verified but has not received a secondary? Do they screen? I didn't get anything

Just got the secondary; verified 6/28 OOS 3.6/34

Members don't see this ad :)
no idea what to say for #6....... "see application or question #3"..?

Last edited:
just submitted and got an email titled "Interview Confirmation"

in it,

"Dear ____,

Please let this serve as confirmation that you have scheduled a medical school interview at The Commonwealth Medical College for . Your interview will take place at TCMC's Medical Sciences Building, 525 Pine St., Scranton, PA. 18509. bla bla bla more info about interviews."

So misleading, sounds almost like everyone gets an interview.. haha

in it,

"Dear ____,

Please let this serve as confirmation that you have scheduled a medical school interview at The Commonwealth Medical College for . Your interview will take place at TCMC's Medical Sciences Building, 525 Pine St., Scranton, PA. 18509. bla bla bla more info about interviews."

Same here! haha. Must be a glitch in the system

Maybe they send out automatic invites to everyone who completes their crazy secondary within 24 hours jk

I'm curious how they will respond back

in it,

"Dear ____,

+1....weird

Haven't gotten mine yet and I got verified the first day, been getting secondaries from other places since the 28th.

Don't know when to start worrying... maybe it's because I'm out of state???

For the first question, do they literally just want a list? Or should we elaborate and write like an essay?

Haven't gotten mine yet and I got verified the first day, been getting secondaries from other places since the 28th.

Don't know when to start worrying... maybe it's because I'm out of state???

I'm OOS and received it yesterday

Can any current students here talk about the Family Centered Experience Program? It seems very cool, I'd love to know more about it, or people's experiences with it.

Is it worth applying here if I don't have any ties to the Scranton area?

I've been verified since 7/12 and have not received a secondary ,OOS 3.73 30, do they pre screen?

I've been verified since 7/12 and have not received a secondary ,OOS 3.73 30, do they pre screen?

I was verified since June and it took me a while to get this one (received it July 14th). So maybe there is a pre-screen of some kind.

Thanks SixStringPsych, maybe it will come next week?

I'm from PA originally but now am OOS. Will that give me a slight leg up? Or is OOS simply OOS?

Only took them 12 hours since verification to send out my secondary, at 12am on a Sunday. It's my first secondary since verification. Doesn't look like they prescreen at all.

I'm from PA originally but now am OOS. Will that give me a slight leg up? Or is OOS simply OOS?
From their FAQ:
One of our primary goals is to improve the quality of healthcare in Northeast Pennsylvania (NEPA) by increasing the numbers of practicing physicians in NEPA. Our expectation is that applicants who are already residents of PA are more likely to return to this area to practice medicine. Therefore we do give preference to PA residents however all applicants are reviewed holistically to match their qualifications with our mission and values.

I think that the idea with IS preference is that they want to retain physicians who will practice in Pennsylvania. I can't imagine that it wouldn't give you a slight boost if you think that your ties to PA will increase the likelihood that you will want to practice there.

I wonder if I didn't get a secondary because I'm from Michigan?

From their FAQ:

I think that the idea with IS preference is that they want to retain physicians who will practice in Pennsylvania. I can't imagine that it wouldn't give you a slight boost if you think that your ties to PA will increase the likelihood that you will want to practice there.

That's what I was thinking too. I haven't gotten a secondary; is there a question on it about strong ties to Northeast Pennsylvania? Or room somewhere to mention that my entire family is there, so I would love to move back (and stay)?

Edit: Oops! Nevermind, just looked at the prompts again. Seems like there's definitely room to talk about those things!

Last edited:
I never did receive a secondary which is odd,I even emailed them and got no response.

Well, I suspect the auto-II was a mistake as I have just submitted my secondary and received the following automatically:
Dear ##NAME##,

Congratulations on successfully completing your application to The Commonwealth Medical College!

The next step in this process is the Admissions Committee will receive your complete application portfolio for review. All applications are carefully reviewed. We take into consideration how well you may "fit" with the TCMC mission and values, your MCAT scores, academic records, personal statements, essays, and extracurricular activities.

We understand how difficult it is to wait until you are notified of an interview. I would like to assure you that we will notify you as soon as possible what the committees' decision is by email.

Best Regards,

Interview invite. :)

If anyone else is freaking out because they got an interview e-mail but can't see the "interview" tab, give it some time. It takes about an hour for the tab to show up on the portal.

If anyone else is freaking out because they got an interview e-mail but can't see the "interview" tab, give it some time. It takes about an hour for the tab to show up on the portal.

Can I ask your stats, IS/ OOS and when you were complete?

Raisins_Face.jpg

I had the same issue with the interview page, but I called admissions and they fixed it an hour later!
Also $600 dollar roundtrip costs with a stop in Tennessee , WHAT.

I had the same issue with the interview page, but I called admissions and they fixed it an hour later!
Also $600 dollar roundtrip costs with a stop in Tennessee , WHAT.

Yeah, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Int'l is horrible. I have a few long-haul interviews and I plan on flying in/out of Philadelpha because it's so much cheaper, even if the airport is two hours further away.

Did anyone follow the 1-3 sentences for the #5 post? It allows for 1500 characters, but this is definitely more than the "recommended" 1-3 sentences. I am just wondering what people did...Thanks!

Did anyone follow the 1-3 sentences for the #5 post? It allows for 1500 characters, but this is definitely more than the "recommended" 1-3 sentences. I am just wondering what people did...Thanks!

I did three extensive sentences : )