2018-2019 Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can a current student describe what a typical day looks like for a first-year? Thanks in advance!

It varies depending on the day, on the block, and of course on the student. A typical block is about 3 weeks long (some run shorter, some run longer). We have lectures in the mornings and afternoons (most of which are not required and are recorded) interspersed with small group case-based discussion sections that happen a few times a month. During the blocks when you have anatomy, you'll have dissection labs (3-4 hours long) 2-3 times a week, typically on MWF afternoons. We also have Doctoring sessions on most Tuesday afternoons where you get to practice clinical skills on standardized patients. First years are also paired with a community physician mentor, which Thursday afternoons are allocated for. There are also many preclinical electives (which you can get credit for) on a variety of relevant/specialized health/specialty topics in the evenings. Most students are very active in the community and there's your standard fare of student interest groups.

Because lecture is not required and everything is recorded with Panopto, most students don't usually go to lecture. There's usually a core group of people who regularly attend, myself included because it's all too easy to withdraw socially in med school and catching up with peers is generally a healthy and pleasant habit.

Members don't see this ad.

what are people wearing for second look? Particularly guys. On saturday they say we can dress casual but what exactly do they mean by casual?

For those waitlisted who had someone email a letter of recommendation in support of your app, did you get an email notification or a document status change on your portal stating that it had been added to your file? #angst

Members don't see this ad :)
For those waitlisted who had someone email a letter of recommendation in support of your app, did you get an email notification or a document status change on your portal stating that it had been added to your file? #angst

Is it common for people on the waitlist to do this? Did you already reach your maximum letters of recommendation before this person?

Will be withdrawing from the waitlist. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Just withdrew my acceptance here, wish you all the best when the floodgates open on May 1.

Reactions: 2 users
it's been suuuper quiet...

Just withdrew my acceptance here, wish you all the best when the floodgates open on May 1.

lol, the wave of news as a result of those flood gates is truly overwhelming. NOT. haha

Reactions: 1 users
lol, the wave of news as a result of those flood gates is truly overwhelming. NOT. haha
Haha, sorry, I thought it would be a flood gate, but it has proven to be a tiny crack so far. I figure a lot of schools are still trying to figure out what to do because of the new traffic rules. But best of luck and I hope that crack finally...well....cracks LOL.

• Haha
I heard that a friend of a friend got off the WL here on Friday. Don't have any other info, but I guess there's been at least a tiny bit of movement.

Any recent WL movement?

Reactions: 2 users
Got accepted from waitlist on May 7th. So there is still some movement going on. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got rejected from the waitlist yesterday. Oh well, I have a better place to be in for 4 years than in Providence lol

Got rejected from the waitlist yesterday. Oh well, I have a better place to be in for 4 years than in Providence lol

Oh no! did your email say that the class was full or something? haven't received anything - ugh this process.

Oh no! did your email say that the class was full or something? haven't received anything - ugh this process.
I got rejected off the waitlist yesterday as well, they told me the class was full.

has anyone else not gotten an email about waitlist decisions?

What is the financial aid like here?
Primarily need based with a unit loan amount that changes slightly year to year, but in the ballpark of $30,000. There are some merit scholarships but they are few and far between and are not full rides

Primarily need based with a unit loan amount that changes slightly year to year, but in the ballpark of $30,000. There are some merit scholarships but they are few and far between and are not full rides
Thank you