2013-2014 Tulane University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I heard from a reliable source that Tulane only looks at applications with a 30+ MCAT.

I am a FL resident, will be applying here. The cost is not super attractive though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got into their masters of pharmacology program so I will add this app after talking to the councilors there. I may have to wait until the first round of grades but that is fine with me. Hope that the side door into medical school stays open. This school is very big on community service. Also a re-applicant.

I'll be starting at Tulane this year, so I thought I'd share my experiences from applying last cycle. From what I saw, MCAT is much more important than grades. The average stats for last year's entering class were 33.3 MCAT and 3.4 cGPA. That's an exceptionally low GPA for a school without strong instate preference. When I was at the interview one of the adcoms said that their average MCAT scores have been steadily increasing, so it might be up another point or so for this year.

A big part of the reason their cGPA is so low is that Tulane frickking loves nontrads! I'm 30 and half my interviewing group was just as old as I am. If you got bad grades in undergrad but performed well in a postbac, chances are good that adcoms will look beyond your cGPA and judge you by your recent work. Tulane doesn't give out many interview invites, so a majority of interviewed candidates get acceptances. I suspect that this means they also place a heavy emphasis on ECs, since they're trying to only interview people with the personalities to become good doctors rather than sort out the good from the bad at interview day.

Since someone will ask for my stats if I don't share them here, I've got a 3.15 cGPA and 32P MCAT. I graduated back in 2004 with a 2.89 GPA and a transcript riddled with Ds and Fs. Last year I went back to college and got a 4.0 in a self-constructed postbac. I've done three years of full time volunteer work, mostly overseas. I think I applied to 20 schools, half MD and half DO. I got an interview invite at my state MD school, but Tulane ended up being my only MD acceptance. I'm very excited to start there, and I will always be grateful to Tulane for recognizing that my awful grades in undergrad are in no way indicative of my potential performance in med school.

Reactions: 2 users
thanks chip. congrats on starting. i think i heard this was one of mt headed's only acceptances, strange for a 43 mcat.

i saw they're expensive. do they give any aid out to compensate for that?

I'll be starting at Tulane this year, so I thought I'd share my experiences from applying last cycle. From what I saw, MCAT is much more important than grades. The average stats for last year's entering class were 33.3 MCAT and 3.4 cGPA. That's an exceptionally low GPA for a school without strong instate preference. When I was at the interview one of the adcoms said that their average MCAT scores have been steadily increasing, so it might be up another point or so for this year.

A big part of the reason their cGPA is so low is that Tulane frickking loves nontrads! I'm 30 and half my interviewing group was just as old as I am. If you got bad grades in undergrad but performed well in a postbac, chances are good that adcoms will look beyond your cGPA and judge you by your recent work. Tulane doesn't give out many interview invites, so a majority of interviewed candidates get acceptances. I suspect that this means they also place a heavy emphasis on ECs, since they're trying to only interview people with the personalities to become good doctors rather than sort out the good from the bad at interview day.

Since someone will ask for my stats if I don't share them here, I've got a 3.15 cGPA and 32P MCAT. I graduated back in 2004 with a 2.89 GPA and a transcript riddled with Ds and Fs. Last year I went back to college and got a 4.0 in a self-constructed postbac. I've done three years of full time volunteer work, mostly overseas. I think I applied to 20 schools, half MD and half DO. I got an interview invite at my state MD school, but Tulane ended up being my only MD acceptance. I'm very excited to start there, and I will always be grateful to Tulane for recognizing that my awful grades in undergrad are in no way indicative of my potential performance in med school.
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences! Congratulations on starting at Tulane, that's awesome. I'm also applying as a non-traditional (I'm turning 26 this year and will be turning 27 when I hope to matriculate), so I hope this works in my favor! Also have the same MCAT score as you!

thanks chip. congrats on starting. i think i heard this was one of mt headed's only acceptances, strange for a 43 mcat.

i saw they're expensive. do they give any aid out to compensate for that?

The loan application process is simple and efficient. Almost every student gets 100% of tuition and living expenses that they can't pay for by other means covered by loan money. The financial aid office is very helpful. More information can be found here:

http://tulane.edu/financialaid/hsc/som/index.cfm

Tulane SOM HEAL-X class of 2016

The loan application process is simple and efficient. Almost every student gets 100% of tuition and living expenses that they can't pay for by other means covered by loan money. The financial aid office is very helpful. More information can be found here:

http://tulane.edu/financialaid/hsc/som/index.cfm

Tulane SOM HEAL-X class of 2016

understood. I'll throw my hat in the ring here.

3.6/35+/ 30y/o :)

I just got into their masters of pharmacology program so I will add this app after talking to the councilors there. I may have to wait until the first round of grades but that is fine with me. Hope that the side door into medical school stays open. This school is very big on community service. Also a re-applicant.

The side door was closed about two years ago. I don't believe any pharm students have been accepted for two years now. There are four students from the class from four years ago though. ACP is the only program left that is a sure thing for getting in at Tulane.

Maybe being a reapp will help you. Just don't put all your eggs in one basket. The pharm program is still a great way to get into other schools, although I've mainly heard of students only getting in DO schools for the past two years. You really have to learn how to maximize the program and that's not immediately apparent.

Best of luck.

Yes, the Pharm program isn't a "side door" but the statistics SpesMeaInDeoEst has aren't right. This year out of the 27 total we have 4 starting at Tulane in the fall, one at UK, one at South Alabama, 2 at LSU-NO (one of whom turned down tulane saying the 30k a year he is saving was worth it) , one at dental school in Tenn, and 2 at DO schools ( 1 at UNE ((he was accepted to an MD as well bet liked UNE)). The rest of us are applying 2013-2014 cycle and using the year for service, travel or jobs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the Pharm program isn't a "side door" but the statistics SpesMeaInDeoEst has aren't right. This year out of the 27 total we have 4 starting at Tulane in the fall, one at UK, one at South Alabama, 2 at LSU-NO (one of whom turned down tulane saying the 30k a year he is saving was worth it) , one at dental school in Tenn, and 2 at DO schools ( 1 at UNE ((he was accepted to an MD as well bet liked UNE)). The rest of us are applying 2013-2014 cycle and using the year for service, travel or jobs.

That's good news, indeed and I stand corrected. I do know that for the past two years no one was accepted; I didn't know about the current class though. Glad to hear the acceptance rate has been good.

Hey guys,

incoming student (well Probably) and just wanna echo the sentiment about high mcat/lower gpa. that was my case. also I wanted to add that I believe the #1 reason I got in was because I am currently doing Americorps volunteering with an underserved medical community and one of the biggest draws for me to tulane was their commitment to serving New Orleans. unlike many schools volunteerism is one of the most important aspects of your application (I had zero shadowing/research experience that hurt me at pretty much every other school).

Also does anyone know the stats for the class of 2017 (i.e. average mcat, average gpa, male/female ratio). I know the 2016 class was lopsidedly male randomly.

also stats: 36q 3.49/3.38 cgpa/sgpa, 24y/o

GOOD LUCK!

Hey guys,

incoming student (well Probably) and just wanna echo the sentiment about high mcat/lower gpa. that was my case. also I wanted to add that I believe the #1 reason I got in was because I am currently doing Americorps volunteering with an underserved medical community and one of the biggest draws for me to tulane was their commitment to serving New Orleans. unlike many schools volunteerism is one of the most important aspects of your application (I had zero shadowing/research experience that hurt me at pretty much every other school).

Also does anyone know the stats for the class of 2017 (i.e. average mcat, average gpa, male/female ratio). I know the 2016 class was lopsidedly male randomly.

also stats: 36q 3.49/3.38 cgpa/sgpa, 24y/o

GOOD LUCK!

This is great to hear. I'm a current Teach for America Corps member, so hopefully that helps me get an interview!

I'm 35 and applying this cycle. Hoping the non-trad will work in my favor (decent cGPA but sub 30 MCAT). I'm really wanting to take the Medical Leadership track

I'm 35 and applying this cycle. Hoping the non-trad will work in my favor (decent cGPA but sub 30 MCAT). I'm really wanting to take the Medical Leadership track

I don't know if you picked up on this in the thread or not, but because of the non-trad status of many students (so many being multiple years out of school) I believe that GPA is less important than MCAT for Tulane (do not quote me on this, just from observation). it makes sense since MCAT scores have to be within 2 or 3 years and can better represent someone's current ability than gpa's from a 5-10 years before. having said that I don't know if you have the time or can retake your MCAT to try and bump above thirty because it would look much better to them. obviously people get in with lower than 30 MCAT's but I reckon that your life would be made easier applying to Tulane if you had a 30+ MCAT.

my .02

Tulane is my number one school! Just got my MCAT back today and it is a 30.. you guys still think I have a chance? Applying with a 3.86c, good LOR's, and good EC's.

I don't know if you picked up on this in the thread or not, but because of the non-trad status of many students (so many being multiple years out of school) I believe that GPA is less important than MCAT for Tulane (do not quote me on this, just from observation). it makes sense since MCAT scores have to be within 2 or 3 years and can better represent someone's current ability than gpa's from a 5-10 years before. having said that I don't know if you have the time or can retake your MCAT to try and bump above thirty because it would look much better to them. obviously people get in with lower than 30 MCAT's but I reckon that your life would be made easier applying to Tulane if you had a 30+ MCAT.

my .02

I did start realizing the amount of non-trads, I was surprised! I retook the MCAT on the 23rd of May and am hoping to break 30, I already submitted AMCAS, so hopefully they'll start verifying me about the time my score comes in. Best of luck to all!

Just found out that volunteer service does not equal clinical volunteering. I feel like I just wasted a year.

While Tulane does love people with non-traditional backgrounds there are still a large amount of entering first years who are coming straight out of college or have only had a year or so off. For the class of 2016 the average age was only 25 (for those who are getting freaked out that they might be more 'traditional').

Just found out that volunteer service does not equal clinical volunteering. I feel like I just wasted a year.

Get out of that mind set. yes you were volunteering to help your application, but you were also helping society.

for the purposes of your application it was a waste. for purposes of the real world where everyone lives in your volunteering probably did some real good for people. it wasn't a waste.

chin up!

Get out of that mind set. yes you were volunteering to help your application, but you were also helping society.

for the purposes of your application it was a waste. for purposes of the real world where everyone lives in your volunteering probably did some real good for people. it wasn't a waste.

chin up!

Hear hear. That was literally the worst thing I've ever heard on SDN. And that's saying a lot.

What kind of volunteer work did you do? (like what were your job duties when you were volunteering) based on your answer, that actually CAN qualify for clinical volunteer work. I have spoken to a number of schools and they said so. :)

Hoping that Tulane will show this non-trad some love. MCAT is a 30S (8VR, 10PS, 12BS); does anyone think that my MCAT won't be a nail in the coffin for my app to Tulane? Here are the rest of my stats: 3.3 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 3.85 gradGPA (MS in Physiology,) non-trad with 2 years full time research, 350 hours clinical volunteering, continued leadership experiences in undergrad and grad school, lots of shadowing, teaching experience. Graduated an Ivy in 2010, just finished up my first year of a 2 year MS. Insight from anyone would be much appreciated!

Hoping that Tulane will show this non-trad some love. MCAT is a 30S (8VR, 10PS, 12BS); does anyone think that my MCAT won't be a nail in the coffin for my app to Tulane? Here are the rest of my stats: 3.3 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 3.85 gradGPA (MS in Physiology,) non-trad with 2 years full time research, 350 hours clinical volunteering, continued leadership experiences in undergrad and grad school, lots of shadowing, teaching experience. Graduated an Ivy in 2010, just finished up my first year of a 2 year MS. Insight from anyone would be much appreciated!

You might be rolling the dice a bit. Per the admission dean, they have a minimum MCAT of 31 - this seems to be borne out by the MSAR (10th percentile of 31). I'd call or email and ask.

You might be rolling the dice a bit. Per the admission dean, they have a minimum MCAT of 31 - this seems to be borne out by the MSAR (10th percentile of 31). I'd call or email and ask.

Well, statistically, doesn't 10%tile just mean "31 is better than the bottom 10%"?

Well, statistically, doesn't 10%tile just mean "31 is better than the bottom 10%"?

Yes. But (statistically, I may be incorrect about this - anyone feel free to correct me) if the true floor is 31, the clustering could be such that there are sufficiently many data points of 31 that the 10th percentile out of that group of numbers is identical to the minimum. That is, there are many 31s, and coincidentally, the 10th percentile value is equal to the minimum.

If that ad hoc analysis is wrong (and it very well may be! I took AP stats more than 7 years ago), then either way - multiple people have been told the minimum is 31, and I've heard rumblings they're considering making it 32 soon. If they accept those with below a 31, these applicants are likely otherwise extraordinary. In any case, it's a bit of a dice roll.

Yes. But (statistically, I may be incorrect about this - anyone feel free to correct me) if the true floor is 31, the clustering could be such that there are sufficiently many data points of 31 that the 10th percentile out of that group of numbers is identical to the minimum. That is, there are many 31s, and coincidentally, the 10th percentile value is equal to the minimum.

If that ad hoc analysis is wrong (and it very well may be! I took AP stats more than 7 years ago), then either way - multiple people have been told the minimum is 31, and I've heard rumblings they're considering making it 32 soon. If they accept those with below a 31, these applicants are likely otherwise extraordinary. In any case, it's a bit of a dice roll.

I see. I had not considered that interpretation, but then again we usually read these things the way we want. I'll hope that I'm an extraordinary applicant then - maybe they'll like that I've spent my whole life taking care of a quadriplegic with cerebral palsy - while earning those GPAs and MCAT scores. ::fingers crossed:: thanks for the heads up about their MCAT minimum, didn't think they actually had a cutoff. Thankfully 30 is above the 10th percentile at my state school, but I really have my hopes for Tulane. Wished there was more space in their secondary to discuss "why Tulane"....I could write 100 pages lol

Just got the secondary. Good luck everyone!

What are the questions?

Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine. (150 Words Max.)
What was the single most meaningful volunteer experience you have had? (150 Words Max.)
List any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held during college. (150 Words Max.)
Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests (e.g. athletics, art, music, items you collect, genre or favorite author reading material). (150 Words Max.)

Last edited:
Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine. (150 Words Max.)

Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests (e.g. athletics, art, music, items you collect, genre or favorite author reading material). (150 Words Max.)
Thanks! I'm assuming it was just a mistake to paste the first question three times?

Thanks! I'm assuming it was just a mistake to paste the first question three times?
Also, last year there were way more questions--is it really only these two now?

holy cr@p did anyone else notice they didn't bcc so you can see everyone's emails?

holy cr@p did anyone else notice they didn't bcc so you can see everyone's emails?

Ya I did notice that. It didnt seem like they sent the secondary to that many people.

NOT COOL TULANE.

Definetly glad I used an email without my name in it.

Ya I did notice that. It didnt seem like they sent the secondary to that many people.

NOT COOL TULANE.

Definetly glad I used an email without my name in it.

it's on mine. you'd think with privacy being such a huge issue a medical school would be a bit more cognizant.

Did anyone who hasn't been verified yet receive a secondary?

Does this school screen? Should I be concerned if I havent received one yet?

does tulane send out secondaries to everyone?

Does this school screen? Should I be concerned if I havent received one yet?

does tulane send out secondaries to everyone?

Are your stats lower than automatic cutoofs? MCAT<26 GPA<3.0 (Im just making these up. I dont acutally know there cutoffs).

From the email, it didnt seem like they sent the secondary to that many people. I wouldnt be conserned. They'll want your secondary $$$, dont worry.

Are your stats lower than automatic cutoofs? MCAT<26 GPA<3.0 (Im just making these up. I dont acutally know there cutoffs).

From the email, it didnt seem like they sent the secondary to a that many people. I wouldnt be conserned. They'll want your secondary $$$, dont worry.
According to MSAR, Tulane does not screen for secondaries. Perhaps they're just sending them out in batches?

Thanks. 3.23 ugrad 3.54 graduate gpa in an SMP 37S mcat, didnt think Id be autoscreened here but you never know how they might feel about ugrad GPAs...