2013-2014 Tulane University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry to hear this. I've been complete since 9/12 and still nothing. It doesn't sound like Tulane does silent holds though, so maybe it's not a bad thing if I haven't heard back yet?
I have been complete since around 9/24… so I am hoping that you and I are both in the "no news is good news" boat!
 
Acceptance range waitlist! Being that Tulane is my only option, would a student at Tulane mind giving us the rundown of how this works and what our chances are? From the e-mail, it seems like this is not the same kind of traditional ranked waitlist that other schools have. Any input would be great. Thanks!
They told me that the current MS1 class was entirely filled before they took anyone off the waitlist. Apparently they gave out too many acceptances last year and had to increase the class size by a few students. I don't know if they're planning on keeping things the same for you guys or if they will hand out less acceptances early on and take more off the waitlist.
First: I am sorry reckkoner, I know this was disappointing news. Keep your head up, it aint over til the fat lady sings.

For everyone wondering:
Every applicant that meets a specific mean score based on several evaluations got in last year, same goes for this year. So to answer your question: no I do not think we are reserving spots for people who completed their applications later. That being said, we do not offer interviews for waitlist spots, if you have an interview invite-you certainly have a good chance at an acceptance, albeit a marginally smaller one than equally awesome September/October interviewees. That's the way the cookie crumbles, kid.
Certain very high scoring acceptance range applicants' files were reviewed over the course of the season by Dr. Beckman specifically in previous years. I can't tell you how many got accepted this way but I assume at least some. Sending an update on some significant achievement/development would certainly not hurt, that goes for everyone-especially if you haven't interviewed yet since that way all the reviewers can see it.
 
Is the standardized patient a significant part of the application? How much weight does it hold relative to the faculty and student interview?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is the standardized patient a significant part of the application? How much weight does it hold relative to the faculty and student interview?
This is their first year doing the standardized patient scenario. Although they won't tell you this, I personally think it is just a trial run this year because they don't know how it'll go so they want to see some feedback. Therefore, I think it won't hold any weight towards your app but this is just my opinion.
 
So I've been complete since 9/14 and still no word.....I'm wondering, what constitutes a generic secondary answer? Afraid I'm gonna be silent rejected by all the schools I applied to.
 
So I've been complete since 9/14 and still no word.....I'm wondering, what constitutes a generic secondary answer? Afraid I'm gonna be silent rejected by all the schools I applied to.

Tulane has been fairly quick to reject (about a month from secondary from what I have seen). I wouldn't worry; I think no news is good news with Tulane. I was complete a week before you and haven't heard back yet.
 
Is the standardized patient a significant part of the application? How much weight does it hold relative to the faculty and student interview?
There are no set values assigned to each component of the application, it is up to the interviewer to decide what they base their decision on. Behavioral interview is a full fledged component of your file, yes it counts. We've run beta tests on this process already and our SP program is one of the most established in the country, we aren't reinventing the wheel here, we know what to expect.
That being said I want everyone still waiting to interview to understand that our first and foremost goal with these is to help you, give you some feedback on what you are already doing well and what you may decide to focus on before clinical years. We have no desire to stress you out and you are given clear instructions and more than plenty of time to accomplish your goal. Don't sweat it. We've gotten only positive feedback on it from the applicants so far.
 
Tulane has been fairly quick to reject (about a month from secondary from what I have seen). I wouldn't worry; I think no news is good news with Tulane. I was complete a week before you and haven't heard back yet.

And I'll eat my words...Rejected this morning.
 
Just got my acceptance email. Interviewed 10/7. Excuse me while I go prepare myself a Sazerac and enjoy this cathartic moment.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For all you future interviewees:

I interviewed this past Monday (10/28) and just wrote up my experience on my blog. Let me know what you think!
 
For all you future interviewees:

I interviewed this past Monday (10/28) and just wrote up my experience on my blog. Let me know what you think!

Thanks so much for posting this! I'm interviewing in January and this got me even more excited. Good luck, I hope you hear good news!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry if this has been asked or if it is obvious, but I cannot seem to find a place to log in and check the status of my application online. Is there such a page?
 
Sorry if this has been asked or if it is obvious, but I cannot seem to find a place to log in and check the status of my application online. Is there such a page?
+1

I had to email the adcom to figure out if I was complete. Kind of a bummer, since this was my first app submitted and I'm not sure when I was marked complete (I waited 4 weeks to check up).
 
Could any current Tulane students comment on where to live when attending the school? I'm actually looking to rent/buy a house. There seems to be a ton of homes available, but what neighborhoods would you recommend? I have a car and commuting isn't a problem.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Could any current Tulane students comment on where to live when attending the school? I'm actually looking to rent/buy a house. There seems to be a ton of homes available, but what neighborhoods would you recommend? I have a car and commuting isn't a problem.

Lots of people live uptown near the undergrad campus, but if you want to buy a house some areas like Bywater and the Marigny are going through gentrification that will make houses there good investments, especially if you're not afraid of fixing some things up yourself.
Of course, New Orleans is highly variable street by street, so it's best if you make a list of places you want to check out, and arrange a weekend to come down and see all of them. Lots of places will open up for rent around April/may so you might consider waiting until then to look if you decide to rent.
 
Lots of people live uptown near the undergrad campus, but if you want to buy a house some areas like Bywater and the Marigny are going through gentrification that will make houses there good investments, especially if you're not afraid of fixing some things up yourself.
Of course, New Orleans is highly variable street by street, so it's best if you make a list of places you want to check out, and arrange a weekend to come down and see all of them. Lots of places will open up for rent around April/may so you might consider waiting until then to look if you decide to rent.


Thanks for the advice!
 
Those of us still waiting to hear about a rejection or II, mind sharing when you were complete? I got the complete email on 10/21, though I submitted roughly 3 weeks before and letters were already in.