2013-2014 Uniformed Services University of the Health Science Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received the call from Dr. Saguil! Unconditional acceptance for Air Force :) :). So happy! Good luck fellow applicants! Your calls are coming soon.

Congrats! Still anxiously awaiting a call here (Also AF), but it's good to hear that things are starting to move along.

I've got a birthday coming up soon, and it would honestly be the best birthday gift ever to get a call on or around that day. It feels a little crazy to think like that, but since I got my interview invite on Christmas Eve, I figure it's not that crazy an idea, right? ;)

Members don't see this ad.

If there are any other HPSPers still holding off on their decision like me (specifically AF) -- even though my recruiter told me otherwise, USUHS admissions told me that if I sign and take the oath to commission through HPSP I will unable to matriculate at USUHS... makes it a tough decision :( hopefully the wait list moves a lot and soon!

Has anyone talked to Dr. Saguil recently to see how waitlist movement compares this year to the last. It's just getting to that time where I am realizing I should probably get started on applying for next year even though that is pretty much the last thing on my mind that I want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
^ As of 2 weeks ago, he said that he was expecting all the Army and Air Force waitlisters to be accepted eventually, and a "good majority" of the Navy waitlisters. Beyond that, the admissions committee isn't saying anything.

Reactions: 1 users
^ As of 2 weeks ago, he said that he was expecting all the Army and Air Force waitlisters to be accepted eventually, and a "good majority" of the Navy waitlisters. Beyond that, the admissions committee isn't saying anything.

Wish I knew of this information before as I have taken the HPSP. Good luck guys.

Congrats! Still anxiously awaiting a call here (Also AF), but it's good to hear that things are starting to move along.

I've got a birthday coming up soon, and it would honestly be the best birthday gift ever to get a call on or around that day. It feels a little crazy to think like that, but since I got my interview invite on Christmas Eve, I figure it's not that crazy an idea, right? ;)

I hope you get your birthday wish! :) best of luck

Anybody from the late january/early february interviewees hear anything yet?
I interviewed January 16th, got a call February 23(ish) and a waitlist letter dated February 20th. Hopefully that is a good sign?

Just got the call! Army, class of 2018! Good luck to all still waiting, the list is moving.

natemiller82 and snappaz,

Thanks for all of these tips! I just learned today that my waiver was approved and I am very happy to receive that news!

I'm having a bit of a crisis now. I was accepted to Dartmouth, but it sounds like getting off the Air Force wait list is a very real possibility. That will be a really tough choice.
I attended Dartmouth as an undergrad and have been waitlisted there for medical school as well. While I cannot offer insight as a Dartmouth medical student, if you have questions about the area or would like to speak to a current Dartmouth med student (a good friend is a second year there), let me know. Good luck!

Does anyone know the exact dates for the Air Force COT?

Thanks! Good luck everyone!

I've been wondering- out of everyone who's been accepted off the wait list, were you all people who got a wait list call as well as a letter?
If so, I wonder if not getting a call is a kind of subtle way of letting some of us that we're lower on the wait list than a lot of other people. That'd be a bummer for me if that's the case...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been wondering- out of everyone who's been accepted off the wait list, were you all people who got a wait list call as well as a letter?
If so, I wonder if not getting a call is a kind of subtle way of letting some of us that we're lower on the wait list than a lot of other people. That'd be a bummer for me if that's the case...

I wouldn't worry about not getting a call. I got two phone calls (one from Dr. Saguil and one from another dean at the school) and I'm still not accepted off the wait list. Things are looking pretty optimistic for Army and AF so just try and be patient :)

Congrats to everyone who got accepted!

And on that note, I know snappaz asked this earlier, but any word yet about the Navy waitlist? I'm seeing a decent amount of Army/Air Force movement (which is fine since I told Dr. Saguil I'm fine with a spot in either of those two branches), but no word on Navy yet.

I just got the call for a Navy spot! I'll be at USUHS in the fall! So excited! :)

Got the call this morning for a Navy spot. The list is moving!!!

Congrats Thinmint and Adambomb333. Now if only the Navy list will move to me; that would be nice. :)

Current first year here: just wanna throw a word out about the wait list.

If it applies to you, make sure you get all your paperwork in for med qualifications. Whether that's waivers or height/weight/body fat or whatever. If you're missing those quals, you're unlikely to be offered admission. They will most likely continue to skip your name until you're medically approved.

If it doesn't apply to you, just keep waiting, and good luck!!! Hope to see you all next year!

Has anyone accepted off of the Army wait list been in contact with Ms. Taylor at USAREC? I am trying to make BOLC in June and would like to know if I will receive my orders in time. I completed the commissioning packet and it arrived in Fort Knox on Friday, so I am still waiting on my unconditional acceptance.

Medicman, i just got a hold of someone else there; she's on leave until tomorrow morning.

Sent from my Surface Pro 2 using Tapatalk

Medicman, i just got a hold of someone else there; she's on leave until tomorrow morning.

Mind pm'ing who you called/spoke to?

I've been waiting close to two months for orders and I have moving plans next Friday. If I don't receive orders by then I'm **** out of luck for reimbursement.

PM sent, Ms. Taylor is probably the person you want to talk to; she's supposed to be back tomorrow morning.

I received a call yesterday morning for an Army spot. I am very excited! That paperwork for my medical waiver paid off! I'll see you all soon!

Congrats! You'll get an email giving you a link to the Facebook group soon, and then you'll get a ton of paperwork for your commissioning packet; you need that for your orders so try to get it knocked out quick.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Congrats! You'll get an email giving you a link to the Facebook group soon, and then you'll get a ton of paperwork for your commissioning packet; you need that for your orders so try to get it knocked out quick.

Thanks! I'll be sure to look out for the email and to get that paperwork completed ASAP.

I just withdrew my Army spot so I can attend my state school. It was a real tough decision, but as a non-prior at almost 30 years old I will likely do HPSP. So good luck and I hope one of you gets my spot in the next day or two!

I just withdrew my Army spot so I can attend my state school. It was a real tough decision, but as a non-prior at almost 30 years old I will likely do HPSP. So good luck and I hope one of you gets my spot in the next day or two!

Mccreed, I think I got your spot because I just got my call for the Army today!! :)

for those who have been pulled from the waitlist, could you please share your stats?

Hey guys.

I am applying for the 2014-2015 cycle (cycle starts in 2 weeks), and I am wondering if my stats are decent enough.

3.58 cGPA
3.28 sGPA
33 MCAT

Non-prior, but always liked the military.

Does anyone else think the waitlist is moving very slowly this year? Last year's thread had a ton of activity...

Does anyone else think the waitlist is moving very slowly this year? Last year's thread had a ton of activity...

Looking at previous threads I was wondering the same thing, as right now things don't seem that good especially for me who was put on hold before the waitlist.

However you have to consider the fact that the number of people who belong to SDN may not be representative of the school from year to year. Nothing to do but keep waiting and not give up yet.

Just withdrew my Air Force acceptance so the waitlist should be moving, good luck to you all!

sooo it is now past may 15th, and I am becoming increasingly distracted and nervous for what, I'm hoping, the next few weeks will hold!!!

Got an acceptance call this morning! The waitlist is moving again!

sooo it is now past may 15th, and I am becoming increasingly distracted and nervous for what, I'm hoping, the next few weeks will hold!!!
Same here. I'm nervous that I might not hear something, but since the AF list is supposed to be one of the shorter ones, I'm trying to be optimistic.
Got an acceptance call this morning! The waitlist is moving again!
Congrats! which branch?

Thx for the info. Received the call and letter for unconditional w/AF a few weeks ago but haven't received commissioning papers. Do they come via postal mail? As a non-prior, I have many questions regarding the logistics of all that is to come in the next several weeks with COT and relocating. I just signed a lease agreement so I have my housing situation figured out-that's about it. Any insight for what's to come would be very appreciated. Thank you and good luck to those still waiting :)

I don't really know much about the AF side of things -- I'm going Army, as well as having been in the Army previously for 8 years. I'm guessing it will be similar for you -- you'll probably get an email from Mr. Matthew T. Kush (maybe someone farther along in the AF pipeline than you can chime in). It took me about a week to get my commissioning packet from the Army.

Thx for the info. Received the call and letter for unconditional w/AF a few weeks ago but haven't received commissioning papers. Do they come via postal mail? As a non-prior, I have many questions regarding the logistics of all that is to come in the next several weeks with COT and relocating. I just signed a lease agreement so I have my housing situation figured out-that's about it. Any insight for what's to come would be very appreciated. Thank you and good luck to those still waiting :)

Non-prior service here as well. I just got my move set up and it was pretty painless.

Really you can't do anything until they cut you orders. Once your orders are cut (everything comes email, btw, so keep your eyes open) you can call your local JPPSO and they'll walk you though getting your move set up.

move.mil will be a good place to start.

I know this isn't the right year, but there doesn't seem to be a thread yet for next year's class.
I am applying for USUHS for 2015 and due to my current family and active duty status I am ONLY interested in USUHS. I just got my MCAT scores back with a 33, which seems to be fine, however my undergrad GPA was not good. Specifically I had a 2.85 from the Naval Academy. Since then I've gotten my masters and taken other undergrad courses I didn't have yet that are required for med school bringing my cumulative GPA to 3.15. Since my undergrad degree, my GPA is about 3.8.

Does anyone know if USUHS weights more recent coursework higher, lower, or the same as my initial degree? Trying to figure out if I'm just too low on the GPA scale or if I shouldn't lose hope with that.

I also know there are a ton of other factors, but GPA and MCAT scores are the easiest to evaluate since they are numbers.

I know this isn't the right year, but there doesn't seem to be a thread yet for next year's class.
I am applying for USUHS for 2015 and due to my current family and active duty status I am ONLY interested in USUHS. I just got my MCAT scores back with a 33, which seems to be fine, however my undergrad GPA was not good. Specifically I had a 2.85 from the Naval Academy. Since then I've gotten my masters and taken other undergrad courses I didn't have yet that are required for med school bringing my cumulative GPA to 3.15. Since my undergrad degree, my GPA is about 3.8.

Does anyone know if USUHS weights more recent coursework higher, lower, or the same as my initial degree? Trying to figure out if I'm just too low on the GPA scale or if I shouldn't lose hope with that.

I also know there are a ton of other factors, but GPA and MCAT scores are the easiest to evaluate since they are numbers.

When you apply on AMCAS, you will have to input all your classes and grades into their system. From there, they will compile it and create a cumulative and non-science GPA for you. I am not sure if USUHS your undergrad and post-undergrad grades. I think this is something worth mentioning in the essay portion. I did not do a post-bac program or anything, so I am not sure if I have the correct answer to your question, but I do know that you have a chance of getting in. Good luck.