2013-2014 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've heard a rumor that Arizona medical schools don't typically take California people. Is this true?

UA Phoenix Med welcomes qualified applicants from all over our great nation!

Members don't see this ad.

Has secondary applications been sent out to the Tucson campus yet? I am sort of confused between the differences among the schools as well.

Has secondary applications been sent out to the Tucson campus yet? I am sort of confused between the differences among the schools as well.

Two schools, both UA - completely separate processes, acceptance, curriculum, etc. I would encourage you to visit the websites and contact the Tucson campus with questions.

UA College of Medicine - Phoenix: phoenixmed.arizona.edu
UA College of Medicine - Tucson: medicine.arizona.edu

Members don't see this ad :)
So I have a general question. I am a re-applicant this cycle and was waitlisted last cycle. The secondary prompts are the same and I was wondering how much I should change them. I feel although they liked my secondary enough to give me an interview invite I don't want to just repeat the same as last year. The second question will obviously be very different but as for the "how you fit within you UAMed culture" and the "unique or challenging factors in your background" do you think it is frowned upon to have similar answers as last year?

So I have a general question. I am a re-applicant this cycle and was waitlisted last cycle. The secondary prompts are the same and I was wondering how much I should change them. I feel although they liked my secondary enough to give me an interview invite I don't want to just repeat the same as last year. The second question will obviously be very different but as for the "how you fit within you UAMed culture" and the "unique or challenging factors in your background" do you think it is frowned upon to have similar answers as last year?

We imagine you have grown in experiences/life over the year, so to not take advantage of this by submitting essays from 12 months ago would be a shame. However, we will not place apps side-by-side and compare.

We imagine you have grown in experiences/life over the year, so to not take advantage of this by submitting essays from 12 months ago would be a shame. However, we will not place apps side-by-side and compare.
Thank you for your input!

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

Would a course called Molecular Systems Biology under the physiological sciences category satisfy the physiology requirement?

Thanks!

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

Would a course called Molecular Systems Biology under the physiological sciences category satisfy the physiology requirement?

Thanks!

We'd need to review the course syllabus/objectives to determine the amount of physio covered. You can send to our office email for review.

Note: Physio and Biochem are two absolute must-haves for us. Feel free to contact our office anytime with questions, but make sure you send as much info about the course as possible. Course titles alone may not help us to determine the content coverage, sometimes it is, but not always.

[email protected]

Have a great day!

anyone having difficulty uploading their photo? whenever I try to 'save' it no picture shows up in the designated space. tried it on firefox, IE and chrome too

When does UA Phoenix send out their first interview invites? The first interviews are Aug 5 i believe.

Last edited:
When does UA Phoenix send out their first interview invites? The first interviews are Aug 5 i believe.

We will begin offering invitations later this month, and will reserve our first wave of invites to Arizona residents, as has been our practice in the past.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Dr. Cunningham,

I have a question for you. The application requirements on your website indicate that we need a letter of recommendation from the most recent clinical experience. Do you require a letter of recommendation from a physician as well? Would it be sufficient to use a letter written by hospital supervisor or a volunteer coordinator at the hospital to fulfill this requirement? Is a letter from physician (D.O. or M.D.) more desirable?

Thank you!

If we do not meet the course requirements, will we be notified of this?

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

I have a question for you. The application requirements on your website indicate that we need a letter of recommendation from the most recent clinical experience. Do you require a letter of recommendation from a physician as well? Would it be sufficient to use a letter written by hospital supervisor or a volunteer coordinator at the hospital to fulfill this requirement? Is a letter from physician (D.O. or M.D.) more desirable?

Thank you!

A letter from someone to best attest to your aptitude as a future physician is desired - who is best to provide this insight is up for you to determine. If the person is the lead nurse and not the distant observing physician with whom you talked once for 10 minutes, that is perfectly acceptable and most desired.

Officially sent in the secondary!! =D cross fingers for good luck!

I have over a 3.6 GPA and over a 31 MCAT score but I am out of state. Are secondariness sent out in batches or is it possible for me to have been screened out?

I have over a 3.6 GPA and over a 31 MCAT score but I am out of state. Are secondariness sent out in batches or is it possible for me to have been screened out?

Applications are processed daily and based on what you have shared, you would receive a supplemental application. Invitations are sent via email - check your Spam filter and if not received by the end of the week, please contact our office. This will sound very strange, but some applicants mistaken they've applied to Phoenix, but in reality may have applied to Tucson instead...so, it could be an error or delay. Regardless, we can help allay anxiety.

For the LOR requirements, if we do not have a letter from a recent clinical experience, would a committee letter from the premed committee at my university suffice? Or do you specifically need a letter from a doctor/nurse/supervisor/etc.?

For the LOR requirements, if we do not have a letter from a recent clinical experience, would a committee letter from the premed committee at my university suffice? Or do you specifically need a letter from a doctor/nurse/supervisor/etc.?

Great question, KillerPanda. The expectation is to have a letter from someone in the clinical area who can attest to your work and character during the experience. A premed committee, unless they observed you, will not provide this insight.

If the only pre-req that we have not completed is Biochemistry, are we still eligible for an interview/acceptance? More specifically, if we were to take Biochemistry in the Spring of 2014 or the Summer of 2014 prior to matriculation, would that be sufficient? Thanks!!

Dr Cunningham
Thank you in advance for answering all of our questions!
Does the admissions committee have a max number of letters they will accept? Some schools require letters from non-science professors and I have one of these, but it was submitted later than my letter packet so I didn't send it to UA Phoenix yet.
I submitted the secondary on July 4, am an AZ resident, and interviewed in 2011-2012 season, so I'm hoping to interview again. If I add another letter to my file, will it delay my interview consideration?

If the only pre-req that we have not completed is Biochemistry, are we still eligible for an interview/acceptance? More specifically, if we were to take Biochemistry in the Spring of 2014 or the Summer of 2014 prior to matriculation, would that be sufficient? Thanks!!

You will be reviewed without bias, and MUST complete any remaining coursework by spring. Summer enrollment is not an option considering we start in early-July.

Dr Cunningham
Thank you in advance for answering all of our questions!
Does the admissions committee have a max number of letters they will accept? Some schools require letters from non-science professors and I have one of these, but it was submitted later than my letter packet so I didn't send it to UA Phoenix yet.
I submitted the secondary on July 4, am an AZ resident, and interviewed in 2011-2012 season, so I'm hoping to interview again. If I add another letter to my file, will it delay my interview consideration?

More than 6 is excessive and at least one letter is required to be received in order to move in the review process. Adding a letter, assuming these two factors, will not delay your review. Welcome back to the process and good luck.

Dr. Cunningham,

Do we need to notify admissions if we are adding another letter? I am currently getting a letter from a clinical experience, and have assigned it on AMCAS but it has yet to be submitted. Thanks so much!

Dr. Cunningham,

Do we need to notify admissions if we are adding another letter? I am currently getting a letter from a clinical experience, and have assigned it on AMCAS but it has yet to be submitted. Thanks so much!

No, it will pop up when it's ready through AMCAS. We will review what we can in the interim.

We updated the Class Profile page with the newest students to start medical school at UA Phoenix Med. Visit http://phoenixmed.arizona.edu/admissions/class-profiles and click the left-hand navigation to see the stats for the current student body by class (2014-2017).

Wow... I can't imagine going to med school as a 20 year old (the lowest on the age range). That must be a pretty amazing person / people. Lord knows I didn't have the focus when I was that young. My hat's off to them and anyone else who is doing something similar.

Hi Dr. Cunningham,
Having graduated as a psychology major over 3 years ago, I did not take a course in physiology. Would it be a waste to submit my application without this course? Thank you! What a great resource you have been for all of us : )

Originally Posted by plzhelp2012

You will be reviewed without bias, and MUST complete any remaining coursework by spring. Summer enrollment is not an option considering we start in early-July.

More than 6 is excessive and at least one letter is required to be received in order to move in the review process. Adding a letter, assuming these two factors, will not delay your review. Welcome back to the process and good luck.

So, if I have 2/5 letters already sent in, will I be reviewed and or considered for an interview before the other three show up? My school doesn't send out my letter packet until they are all sent in, and I have a certain teacher that is stalling until around August 15th to send his in. Is this too late?

So, if I have 2/5 letters already sent in, will I be reviewed and or considered for an interview before the other three show up? My school doesn't send out my letter packet until they are all sent in, and I have a certain teacher that is stalling until around August 15th to send his in. Is this too late?

You will be reviewed for a supplemental and possible interview invitation. The reviewer has the right to place you on hold if they feel another letter would help make the final decision clearer. Rarely happens, so hang tight and be patient with your letter writers. They must be busy with a lot of requests and you want them to do a great job got you!

You will be reviewed for a supplemental and possible interview invitation. The reviewer has the right to place you on hold if they feel another letter would help make the final decision clearer. Rarely happens, so hang tight and be patient with your letter writers. They must be busy with a lot of requests and you want them to do a great job got you!

Thank you very much!

Does anyone know if a clinical research LOR is considered as a clinical experience LOR? Thanks

How about if I don't have the physiology class. Can I still get an interview?

Does anyone know if a clinical research LOR is considered as a clinical experience LOR? Thanks

A competitive applicant is expected to have a patient-oriented experience. Validation of the character displayed during the experience is verified by a letter. Two together means a letter from a clinical experience is required.

A competitive applicant is expected to have a patient-oriented experience. Validation of the character displayed during the experience is verified by a letter. Two together means a letter from a clinical experience is required.

This is my third attempt to get an answer to this question. Is it possible to get an interview without the course in physiology? If anyone could answer, i would appreciate it.

Thank you for the response Dr. Cunningham. I just wanted to ask seeing as how in last year's thread someone asked the same question and got a YES as a response.

This is my third attempt to get an answer to this question. Is it possible to get an interview without the course in physiology? If anyone could answer, i would appreciate it.

The answer to this question, regardless of the remaining courses, is yes. You are welcomed to write our office for a response anytime, too. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the response Dr. Cunningham. I just wanted to ask seeing as how in last year's thread someone asked the same question and got a YES as a response.

Ths is our second year requiring a clinical letter and each year we improve the process based on feedback from our admissions committee. The committee favors patient experiences and letters validating these experiences.

Dr. Cunningham,

How recent should our patient exposure experience be? I have sent a letter packet (6 letters) with a PE letter that is somewhat old? I have a physician shadow letter on AMCAS that is more recent. Should I just send that one in addition to the packet?

Applications are processed daily and based on what you have shared, you would receive a supplemental application. Invitations are sent via email - check your Spam filter and if not received by the end of the week, please contact our office. This will sound very strange, but some applicants mistaken they've applied to Phoenix, but in reality may have applied to Tucson instead...so, it could be an error or delay. Regardless, we can help allay anxiety.
I have still not received a secondary and I double checked, and I did mark the correct University of Arizona Medical School. I have had trouble reaching the admissions office by phone, is the admissions number in the MSAR correct?

Dr. Cunningham,

Does Public Health coursework fall under the following category?

BEHAVIORAL AND SOCIAL SCIENCE-RELATED
2 courses from the following: cultural anthropology, economics, healthcare administration, psychology, public policy, sociology, family studies, political science, history, or behavioral health.

Thank you in advance!

Dr Cunningham
If an applicant is invited to interview, is it to the applicant's advantage to interview early? In other words, will the admissions committee begin to review candidates for acceptance right away in August or after more candidates are interviewed (closer to Oct 15)?
Thank you.

It would not hurt to add the more recent experience letter to your portfolio - clinical experience within the 12-18 months is preferred.