2013-2014 University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have no idea, but I couldn't imagine they would've already filled all the seats this early in the cycle. I certainly hope not, anyways. Has there been any action from those put on hold? All this silence is making me nervous!

Members don't see this ad.

People that interview in April still get in. And the numbers are always the same: (statistically) if you interview, you have a 50/50 shot of getting an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received an invite for the merit scholarship competition thing? I think they told us end of Feb but that's now so....

Has anyone received an invite for the merit scholarship competition thing? I think they told us end of Feb but that's now so....
Nope -- I haven't heard anything either (although we may just not be invited). I emailed Diane a few weeks ago asking when these invitations might go out, and she said replied "If you are invited back to the UTHSC campus to compete for one of the College of Medicine’s merit scholarships, the Merit Scholarship Selection Program dates are Sunday, March 23 and Monday, March 24. The Committee will make those selections soon and I will normally provide a 3-4 notice in order for you to make arrangements to attend."

I assume this is 3-4 weeks, so hopefully they will go out soon -- or we will hear from someone else they have already gone out and can stop thinking/hoping/worrying about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Nope -- I haven't heard anything either (although we may just not be invited). I emailed Diane a few weeks ago asking when these invitations might go out, and she said replied "If you are invited back to the UTHSC campus to compete for one of the College of Medicine’s merit scholarships, the Merit Scholarship Selection Program dates are Sunday, March 23 and Monday, March 24. The Committee will make those selections soon and I will normally provide a 3-4 notice in order for you to make arrangements to attend."

I assume this is 3-4 weeks, so hopefully they will go out soon -- or we will hear from someone else they have already gone out and can stop thinking/hoping/worrying about it.

Awesome! Thanks for the info, Architect! Looks like this is our final week to wait! Then I can finally make a decision; this is so exciting! :)

Active hold, IS, Nontraditional applicant

Does anyone have any information on how much/if any a letter of intent would help at this point?

Well that's true.
But "matriculate" and "are accepted" are two very different things. Have to bear in mind a number will reject their acceptance. Could be closer to 50% acceptance from interview... But I doubt quite that high.
# matriculating in the fall is 165. Between people that decline acceptances before the April deadline and the wait list that can move about 60 deep, with interviewing 500ish folks I think it turns out to be 50/50.

Not identical, but comparable: Quillen's stats from 2013, ended up being about 50/50 (in spite of their notoriously slow wait list).
http://www.etsu.edu/com/sa/admissions/collegeinfo/statistics.aspx

Hey guys,
Just as a "pick me up" for you, I thought I'd share my experience. I'm a current M1 (about to be M2). I got a secondary very early in the cycle. Head NOTHING for a long time. Finally I e-mailed Strother in January and he said I was on the waitlist to be interviewed. Got an interview late February. Week later "on hold". I thought the cycle was done. Late April got the acceptance call. It may be late, but you never know!!

Reactions: 3 users

Cool, thanks for the info.

Hey guys,
Just as a "pick me up" for you, I thought I'd share my experience. I'm a current M1 (about to be M2). I got a secondary very early in the cycle. Head NOTHING for a long time. Finally I e-mailed Strother in January and he said I was on the waitlist to be interviewed. Got an interview late February. Week later "on hold". I thought the cycle was done. Late April got the acceptance call. It may be late, but you never know!!
There is always a chance.

To those who have been accepted, can you share your stats, IS or OOS, and what you got your bachelors in (if you finished your undergrad at all)

Members don't see this ad :)
Spoke with Diane today. She said all 15 potential scholarship candidates have been notified. I guess since we didn't get the memo, it's no dice :/
I figured :/ still extremely disappointing and offensive for some reason, despite knowing the insane level of competition.
Thanks for the update, Pentait!

Does anybody have the link to the committee/interview meeting dates? I found it before, but now I can't find it!

Also, has anyone who was told they would receive an interview later on in the cycle actually been interviewed yet? I was told this in October, and I still have a little sliver of hope left.
:]

Does anybody have the link to the committee/interview meeting dates? I found it before, but now I can't find it!

Also, has anyone who was told they would receive an interview later on in the cycle actually been interviewed yet? I was told this in October, and I still have a little sliver of hope left.
:]

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I received an interview invite yesterday evening. So I suppose there's still hope left! Good luck!

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I received an interview invite yesterday evening. So I suppose there's still hope left! Good luck!
Congrats! So weird they send out interview invites on a Saturday night... Good luck!

I emailed Mr Strother back in January, and he said that they were going to interview me, but they didn't have a date for me yet. I'm getting kind of worried now since we're almost halfway through March. Would it be inappropriate to ask about my interview status again? I really would like to interview at UT, but I don't want to be a pest.

I interviewed recently and was told that letters letting us know a decision would be mailed this past Friday (March 7), and I still haven't received any mail.. Do they only send out letters for those who have been accepted?

I interviewed recently and was told that letters letting us know a decision would be mailed this past Friday (March 7), and I still haven't received any mail.. Do they only send out letters for those who have been accepted?
You'll receive an email from Diane in regards to a survey. This is the only indication I know of that a letter is on its way, whether good or bad.

I was supposed to receive an email on March 7th and did not receive one either. I believe UTHSC was closed Mon-Wed due to the weather, so they may have not met on Friday as they had intended.

Went and found an apartment on mud island with the gf last weekend, pretty pumped about moving to Memphis in July ! Just wanted to post that !

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed last week and was just wondering if anyone knows what the chances are of them accepting people immediately this late in the cycle. I felt the interviews went very well but I just assumed it would be more likely to get wait listed now. I loved the school... I really hope it works out.

Any recommendations for where to live? Preferences are close to campus, safe, proximity to fun things the city has to offer - still want to enjoy my time in Memphis when school allows. Out-of-stater with Tennessee ties so any information is helpful - best neighborhoods, places to avoid, etc, etc. Thanks!

Does anyone know when UTHSC makes a decision on whether your "on hold" status transitions to an acceptance or waitlist? Or does "on hold" certainly translate into waitlist? This. wait. is. unbearable. haha

After scouring UTHSC threads from the past few years, I haven't found an example of someone who has been put on hold and NOT eventually waitlisted. Hope someone can prove me wrong as I'm also on the hold list. The letter we got says May

Any recommendations for where to live? Preferences are close to campus, safe, proximity to fun things the city has to offer - still want to enjoy my time in Memphis when school allows. Out-of-stater with Tennessee ties so any information is helpful - best neighborhoods, places to avoid, etc, etc. Thanks!
I'm also interested in any input on this question -- I'm also OOS with ties to the state. So far, all I've heard about suggestions is that most people live in Midtown (close to campus, relatively safe and abundant housing) or on Mud island (more expensive, somewhat nicer, not a lot of grocery etc. options). Please correct me if I'm wrong; I've been to memphis once for interview.

If anyone knows if there are major move-in/move-out times that make it easier to lease an apartment starting in that month, that would also be helpful. I lived in a city for undergrad where everyone moved at the beginning of August, and it was next to impossible to get a move-in date other than that first week of August...

When have people generally been getting their survey email? Was it really late at night like the II?

i'm thinking about applying to UT this upcoming cycle and was wondering what you guys think my chances are here at this school with my stats? my family and i recently moved to tennessee so i'll be able to put down tennessee as my new state of residence.
3.5 cGPA (with a 3.95 cGPA over past 4 years) - bad first year of college
3.8 sGPA (with a 4.0 sGPA over past 4 years and solid A's in bio/gen chem/physics/orgo pre-reqs)
33 MCAT (14B, 11P, 8V)
also: biology major with chemistry minor

I'm also interested in any input on this question -- I'm also OOS with ties to the state. So far, all I've heard about suggestions is that most people live in Midtown (close to campus, relatively safe and abundant housing) or on Mud island (more expensive, somewhat nicer, not a lot of grocery etc. options). Please correct me if I'm wrong; I've been to memphis once for interview.

If anyone knows if there are major move-in/move-out times that make it easier to lease an apartment starting in that month, that would also be helpful. I lived in a city for undergrad where everyone moved at the beginning of August, and it was next to impossible to get a move-in date other than that first week of August...

I currently am renting a house on Mud Island and love it, I also know many of my classmates also live on the island. Personally, I think the island is a good place to start out if you're new to the area. Some parts of midtown are really nice and safe, but if you're not familiar with the area, you might not realize what are the "good" and "ehhhh....not so good" areas. Not too many people that I know live in apartments downtown (like the Bristol). I would recommend the island, may be a little on the pricier side, but a great starting point for living in Memphis. Hope this helps!

I currently am renting a house on Mud Island and love it, I also know many of my classmates also live on the island. Personally, I think the island is a good place to start out if you're new to the area. Some parts of midtown are really nice and safe, but if you're not familiar with the area, you might not realize what are the "good" and "ehhhh....not so good" areas. Not too many people that I know live in apartments downtown (like the Bristol). I would recommend the island, may be a little on the pricier side, but a great starting point for living in Memphis. Hope this helps!
How hard is it to find a small house, like 1 to 2 bedrooms on Mud Island?

I agree with what the others say. I've lived on Mud Island, downtown and now midtown for the past 3 years. Midtown encompasses some very nice areas, some awful areas and lots of places in between. If anyone wants to move to midtown and is unsure of the area, PM me and I'll happily tell you if it's good, bad or ok. But yes, mud island is the safest place to move to if you don't know the area. There are lots of great apartment complexes downtown too (10 S. main, Gayoso, condo rentals), but they don't come cheap and parking will usually cost you.

Most of the rentals in Mud Island are apartments. Although I know some people who do rent houses, they were lucky to find them. Most people who live in houses that I know live in midtown.

Good luck

I don't even think they build one-bedroom houses....There are a few 2-bedrooms (both bedrooms are about the same size), but a majority I've seen have been 3-bedroom (master + smaller bedroom and "office"...it would be ok for a kid's room, but honestly, saying that third room is a bedroom is really stretching it). If you go for a house, you're probably going to need a roommate (houses aren't cheap). There are 1-bedroom apartments if you're up for living alone/with significant other. If you're really looking for a house, scour craigslist every day, and you might have to move in earlier than you might want to (early/mid-summer) just to get the house. They go REALLY fast.

i'm thinking about applying to UT this upcoming cycle and was wondering what you guys think my chances are here at this school with my stats? my family and i recently moved to tennessee so i'll be able to put down tennessee as my new state of residence.
3.5 cGPA (with a 3.95 cGPA over past 4 years) - bad first year of college
3.8 sGPA (with a 4.0 sGPA over past 4 years and solid A's in bio/gen chem/physics/orgo pre-reqs)
33 MCAT (14B, 11P, 8V)
also: biology major with chemistry minor
As long as the rest of your app is solid and assuming you don't apply late, then based on the stats you list here, I think your chances are excellent.

As long as the rest of your app is solid and assuming you don't apply late, then based on the stats you list here, I think your chances are excellent.
i've done a semester of research in autoimmunity, worked in a medical clinic for over 2 years, and a good amount of volunteering/shadowing...so i mean nothing spectacular to stand out from my EC's but i believe it's enough. thanks for the reply, i'll most certainly apply very early if i do apply to UT.

This thread always seems to get quiet around this time of year! Has anyone on hold checked in with admissions to find out about their waitlist status? It might be early yet.

This thread always seems to get quiet around this time of year! Has anyone on hold checked in with admissions to find out about their waitlist status? It might be early yet.

I haven't checked yet I was going to wait a couple weeks..... Anyone know the last possible date we would get notified of a decision?

Received a scholarship offer in the mail today. I was not expecting that at all! Very excited to get to go here in the fall.

Reactions: 2 users
For the people that get interviews in April, what would you all say for their chance of acceptance? I'm a TN resident with a very high GPA and a decent MCAT. My sec has been in since October, and I still haven't heard anything. I really like this school a lot! They seem to have a little bit of everything.....legendary clinicals and great opportunities to use my Spanish. It kind of worries me a little.

For the people that get interviews in April, what would you all say for their chance of acceptance? I'm a TN resident with a very high GPA and a decent MCAT. My sec has been in since October, and I still haven't heard anything. I really like this school a lot! They seem to have a little bit of everything.....legendary clinicals and great opportunities to use my Spanish. It kind of worries me a little.

There is an extremely low chance you'll be offered an acceptance. A great chance to be put on hold and eventually wait-listed though.

There is an extremely low chance you'll be offered an acceptance. A great chance to be put on hold and eventually wait-listed though.
Thank you for replying! That was sorta my gut feeling since it is so late in the cycle. I suppose the possibility exists to get high on the waitlist and hopefully go from there. I'm happy either way. I just don't wanna get denied post interview lol.

Does anyone have an insight into what "holding category" applicants can expect at this point? Is the class full yet? When do they create the alternate list and when do acceptances begin off that list? Just pretty frustrating not having any idea what they're doing in terms of decisions as I'm trying to work out my plans for next year.

Has anyone contacted the admissions office and received helpful responses?

Does anyone have an insight into what "holding category" applicants can expect at this point? Is the class full yet? When do they create the alternate list and when do acceptances begin off that list? Just pretty frustrating not having any idea what they're doing in terms of decisions as I'm trying to work out my plans for next year.

Has anyone contacted the admissions office and received helpful responses?
I contacted them but didn't really hear anything different. They're still interviewing and then they'll form the alternate list. I think it will be mid may before we get an answer. It's a tough situation to be in but I'm hoping patience will pay off as I'm in the "holding category" at two schools now. Best of luck to you.

Officially withdrew. Hope one of you takes my place! Best of luck :)

Has anyone received a financial aid package from the financial aid office yet? I submitted my FAFSA in early March and have not heard anything since then.

Has anyone received a financial aid package from the financial aid office yet? I submitted my FAFSA in early March and have not heard anything since then.

No -- I have emailed the financial aid office twice to try to get an answer to when we might receive these, and I have not received a response. When down for WIMS weekend on April 11-12th another applicant stopped in and asked about it. The reply she received on the 10th was that UTHSC FAO still had not received information from FAFSA at that time. Their website says we should be receiving the award letters via email in "mid-April".

I may be reading too much into this, but if I didn't receive a survey email, does that mean my letter didn't go out the previous Friday? They said my group's letters were going to be sent out this past Friday, but I didn't know if they didn't get to me or something.