2022-2023 CA University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone gone over the match list for this year? Any thoughts?
For a new school, CUSM matched decently well. As long as you score well on your step 1 and 2, did well in clinical rotations, did well for away rotations, and got some research in, you should be able to match pretty decently. The only thing is that step 1 is p/f now, so we'll have to wait a few years to see how that affects matching.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hope you get in!!! Was that today?
Thank you! Yes I found out this afternoon. This is my top choice since it's close to home, so I'm hoping I get an A from WL.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone from 3/10 interview hear back? I know it’s probably too soon but it’s eating at me! Lol!

I interviewed on 1/27 and still have not heard back; should I take this as a silent R?

Also eating at me if anyone else from 2/24 interview heard back?

Ahh good luck to everyone!! Wishing everyone all the best :(

• Care
Interviewing tomorrow, any advice?
Its open file, very conversational. Just be yourself, try to be personable. Mine was very much the type of interview where they were like ok your app looks great, now tell me about YOU!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also eating at me if anyone else from 2/24 interview heard back?

Ahh good luck to everyone!! Wishing everyone all the best :(
I'm pretty sure that not all interviewees from the same date hear back at the same time. I got my WL notification a week after others from my same interview date.

I interviewed on 1/27 and still have not heard back; should I take this as a silent R?

That’s my assumption right now.

Same, interviewed 1/20 and assuming silent R. I havent seen anyone on here get officially rejected yet

CUSM, like some other schools, have an unfortunate tendency to never really send a rejection to some applicants until the summer, if at all. But just because you have not received an 'R' does not mean you are necessarily out of the running with CUSM. They generally see a lot of movement after April 30, which is the AMCAS deadline for choosing a medical school to attend, if memory serves. While I know it’s probably not much comfort to hear, as I'm sure you'd just prefer to know now, there is definitely some form of hope if you haven't received an 'R' as of yet.

Reactions: 3 users
Did you receive an email with instructions exactly a week before your interview? Mine is a week away and I’m not sure if I should email and ask because I haven’t received anything

Did you receive an email with instructions exactly a week before your interview? Mine is a week away and I’m not sure if I should email and ask because I haven’t received anything
They sent mine probably a few days prior to my interview. Also, make sure to check your spam because mine ended up there.

Thank you for your response. I actually meant if anyone here who already finished MBS program like me and then interviewed for the MD cycle. I'm still waiting to hear back from them so that's why.
Ohhh, my bad haha. Wish you the best !

Any info on if they're behind on getting back to people? I called the admissions office and they said they barely sent out February 24 decisions.

Any info on if they're behind on getting back to people? I called the admissions office and they said they barely sent out February 24 decisions.
Does this mean they're done sending out Feb 24th decisions? I haven't heard back yet from that date and I'm a bit worried

Does this mean they're done sending out Feb 24th decisions? I haven't heard back yet from that date and I'm a bit worried
I'm not too sure, I called the admissions office to ask about March 10 interview updates. She mentioned that they are pretty behind, so idk if they send all A and WL's out at once or individually.

Are there any places to live walking distance from campus?
I don't know if you'd want to walk, given the area, but people have walked or biked without issue. Just depends on your comfort level. Depending on where you're coming from there may or may not be sidewalks and San Bernardino in general has a problem with meth, so take that as you will.

That being said, the Wildrose community just to the west has traditionally had a lot of med students renting rooms from the homes there. There's also a newer apartment complex called Las Terrazas relatively close by. Other than that it's mostly neighborhoods with homes you'd have to look at renting/buying.

I believe there's a student housing FB page and possibly a discord.

I'm not a part of it but this may be the FB page. Sorry, I don't have much more than that for you.

has anyone heard back from admissions? had a friend who interview 3/10 who just heard back with a waitlist. wanted to know where admissions was at with giving decisions.

has anyone heard back from admissions? had a friend who interview 3/10 who just heard back with a waitlist. wanted to know where admissions was at with giving decisions.
yes, i got an update today! interviewed 3/10.

I wonder if they stagger the notifications, I also interviewed then too do you have any insight on that?
they do stagger notifications sometimes. i interviewed last cycle, january 2021, and at the time i was ghosted post-II. i would say the probability of being ghosted is high once you see people from interview dates after you getting updates. do not panic yet. there’s still a good chance 3/10 interviewees who haven’t heard back yet will soon.

they do stagger notifications sometimes. i interviewed last cycle, january 2021, and at the time i was ghosted post-II. i would say the probability of being ghosted is high once you see people from interview dates after you getting updates. do not panic yet. there’s still a good chance 3/10 interviewees who haven’t heard back yet will soon.
cusm doesn’t send post-II R’s at all until the very end of the cycle, i believe last year i got it in july. they only notify A’s and WL’s in a timely manner from my personal experience after 2 cycles interviewing there. they will tell you “a decision hasn’t been made yet” if you’ve been ghosted.

do we know when the waitlist starts moving? are we expected to wait until May 1st to see some movement?

Reactions: 2 users
Any other waitlisters get an email for the in person VIP day? If so, did it also include a message saying "Congratulations on your acceptance to California University of Science and Medicine!"

I don't think I was admitted yet but just wanted to doublecheck!

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone else on the waitlist just get that in person visit email that says “Congratulations on your acceptance” ??? Uh?

Any other waitlisters get an email for the in person VIP day? If so, did it also include a message saying "Congratulations on your acceptance to California University of Science and Medicine!"

Lol whoops, yes. Love getting gaslit by schools

• Haha

This got me so excited and was really hoping I got off the waitlist for a second 😭

Got the same thing and also WL. So good lolol

Also got the email and I’m on the WL. That’s so mean 😭 but any of you plan on going to this or nah?

Real question is whether we were actually invited or if that was a mistake too
I think we’re actually invited, they did the same thing for the previous VIP day earlier this cycle where they invited both WL and accepted people. Page 5 of this thread

Reactions: 2 users
that's seriously ridiculous for a medical school to make such a mistake...got the email too. shameful

Reactions: 3 users
that's seriously ridiculous for a medical school to make such a mistake...got the email too. shameful
Their interview day left me so uneasy about the school since it felt wildly unorganized and quite unprofessional. I spoke at length about my interest in a specific program at the school (listed on their website in multiple places) and reasons why I felt like I would be a good fit with the school specifically with that program. After my monologue, my interviewer shared how said program had been cancelled like two years ago, but somehow is still on the website as active. 😂 Between all of that, and now this, I really need to withdraw my WL lol.

Last edited:
Should I be concerned that I am WL but didn’t get the email? :(

Their interview day left me so uneasy about the school since it felt wildly unorganized and quite unprofessional. I spoke at length about my interest in a specific program at the school (listed on their website in multiple places) and reasons why I felt like I would be a good fit with the school specifically with that program. After my monologue, my interviewer shared how said program had been cancelled like two years ago, but somehow is still on the website as active. 😂 Between all of that, and now this, I really need to withdraw my WL lol.
Had a very similar interview experience.