2014-2015 Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait so sorry to be paranoid.. but the glitch you guys were talking about. If I got the email from them about "getting started with the secondary" and then registered and created my own password, I'm good to go, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, the glitch was during registration - after entering AMCAS ID, they would say it didn't exist

Reactions: 2 users
For any of you who have been or are thinking about submitting secondaries before you get an email, here is Einstein's take on it.

"Applicants who submit a Secondary without having received an email directly from the Admissions Office automatically will be withdrawn from further consideration and charged the processing fee, if paid at the time of application."

woah that's crazy

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you still facing picture uploading issues, use a browser other than safari. I was able to successfully upload using Mozilla

I was having the same upload problem on Safari, but switched to Chrome and it worked fine.

I have a stupid question.
"I have worked part- or full-time, for pay, during the academic year while in college. "
--this specifically refers to jobs during the class (e.g fall, spring semesters) right? Does it include working in a lab during the summer?

I have a stupid question.
"I have worked part- or full-time, for pay, during the academic year while in college. "
--this specifically refers to jobs during the class (e.g fall, spring semesters) right? Does it include working in a lab during the summer?

I believe they mean while you were in school taking classes. But it doesn't hurt to say you worked in between each year too (some people do summer school!)

Photo upload was not working on my mac using safari. Went on my desktop windows downstairs and used chrome and it worked.

well i got a letter from an upper inorg chem prof and my O chem prof.... can I swing this as diff departments? Or do I slowly cross einstein off my list and buy $120 worth of quesarittos

edit: i have a business minor and can include a letter from finance prof.... maybe they'll let it slide

well i got a letter from an upper inorg chem prof and my O chem prof.... can I swing this as diff departments? Or do I slowly cross einstein off my list and buy $120 worth of quesarittos

edit: i have a business minor and can include a letter from finance prof.... maybe they'll let it slide

Last year my two letters were both from biology professors. However, one was in the sub-department of physiology and the other was in the sub-department of molecular biology. I was able to swing this as different departments :D. So I'm sure you can too.

Reactions: 1 user
I created the account but they said my AMCAS ID was matched.
Oh I see... I should have waited before making an account then oh well.. (ofc I made the account after receiving acknowledgement email)
but I received Application Acknowledgement email, so at this point it should be fine?? Since they can match my AMCAS ID to my primary application and my information..

Anyone else confused by this committee letter qualifier: "I understand that I must request a letter from the Dean of Students or Registrar at my undergraduate college stating that I was a student in good standing ONLY if my post-bac program advisor does not mention it in his or her letter of recommendation."

I'm not really sure if my post-bacc committee writer included that info in my letter, but doesn't the fact that I graduated with a degree imply that I was a "student in good standing"?

FYI, if anyone is nearing the 100 word limit, if you double space between sentences it counts it as another word. If you only use a single space though, it does not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody else feel silly having to explain how a party their freshman year got too crunk? For the "warning notice that did not result in disciplinary action" question...

Ok as a reapplicant, they can't possibly be serious about me listing all schools I applied to last cycle do they?? And fit that with what I have changed into 200 words??

Reactions: 1 users
I have serious reservations about this question. I don't think it's necessary to list what schools we applied to, and it's pretty inappropriate to ask that since it shouldn't have any bearing on your current application. I understand asking if we have applied before, I get that. But to ask for each specific school? That's too much. Besides, there's barely room to put the school names and say how I improved my application in just 200 words. Thoughts on this?
Honestly, I'm probably going to just treat it as a "What have you improved since last time" essay and at the end include a generic sentence like "In the ____ cycle, I applied to a range of schools with similar applicant profiles to the AECOM".

Ok as a reapplicant, they can't possibly be serious about me listing all schools I applied to last cycle do they?? And fit that with what I have changed into 200 words??
I agree... that'd be nearly 200 words by itself! And I share sentiments with @Corvid, I don't think its an appropriate question to ask.

I just stated I was a reapplicant who has applied to many schools and that every year I asked how I could improve my application. Those were both a total of two sentences. Then the rest of the word count I filled out how I improved from round three to four.

I have serious reservations about this question. I don't think it's necessary to list what schools we applied to, and it's pretty inappropriate to ask that since it shouldn't have any bearing on your current application. I understand asking if we have applied before, I get that. But to ask for each specific school? That's too much. Besides, there's barely room to put the school names and say how I improved my application in just 200 words. Thoughts on this?

Can you just use the abbreviations like UCSD, or CMS to shorten down the words?

did the application just crash for anyone? nvm, fixed and submitted.

Last edited:
Can you just use the abbreviations like UCSD, or CMS to shorten down the words?

i'd use the abbreviation IDK for the answer or "I love you einstein and you're my one and only :love:".

Reactions: 2 users
I am currently in my gap year (only 1)

"I have taken off at least a year since college graduation" is the same as "I plan to take off this year, after just having graduated, while I apply to medical school."?

Do your apps say for the entering class of 2014-2015 when you review the completed summary?

Also, if I have a pre-med advising committee but they don't write letters which one do I check?

I have elected to have my Pre-Professional Advisory Committee write on my behalf
I have a Pre-Professional Committee but have elected NOT to have my Pre-Committee write on my behalf, and have chosen other letter writers
I do not have a Pre-Professional Advisory Committee and have elected to have my letters sent from my Career Services Office
I have neither a Pre-Professional Advisory Committee, nor a Career Services Office and have elected that my letters of recommendation be sent from individual letter writers

Also, if I have a pre-med advising committee but they don't write letters which one do I check?

I have elected to have my Pre-Professional Advisory Committee write on my behalf
I have a Pre-Professional Committee but have elected NOT to have my Pre-Committee write on my behalf, and have chosen other letter writers
I do not have a Pre-Professional Advisory Committee and have elected to have my letters sent from my Career Services Office
I have neither a Pre-Professional Advisory Committee, nor a Career Services Office and have elected that my letters of recommendation be sent from individual letter writers

I assume #2 ?

I assume #2 ?
Okay, that's what I have checked, but I'm not sure since the wording makes it sound like my committee writes but I didn't want them to write one. Also it pops up a box to list the recs I'm sending -- should I list all 5 or just list 2 and add the other 3 in the additional section?

Okay, that's what I have checked, but I'm not sure since the wording makes it sound like my committee writes but I didn't want them to write one. Also it pops up a box to list the recs I'm sending -- should I list all 5 or just list 2 and add the other 3 in the additional section?

Is there any option that allows you to give an explanation as to why you don't have the committee letter? Then you can say "Unfortunately while my school does have a committee, they don't write letters" I already submitted my app so I can't check it.

If they want people from two different departments, definitely list those two there. I would probably put mostly faculty there and save like shadowing/volunteer/etc for the other area. Like for me, I checked committee letter (which has four different departments) and did my shadowing letter as my additional. Realistically, they are going to get a mess of letters from me.

Is there any option that allows you to give an explanation as to why you don't have the committee letter? Then you can say "Unfortunately while my school does have a committee, they don't write letters" I already submitted my app so I can't check it.

If they want people from two different departments, definitely list those two there. I would probably put mostly faculty there and save like shadowing/volunteer/etc for the other area. Like for me, I checked committee letter (which has four different departments) and did my shadowing letter as my additional. Realistically, they are going to get a mess of letters from me.
Yes, they had an option. It pops up with a box to list the recommenders, while for the other options, it prompts 2 text fields to enter 2 recommenders. I suppose I can call tomorrow to see how I should distinguish this. Thanks for your help!

How are people answering the pre-med pre-req question? Einstein switched to this new competency thing, but I haven't done orgo lab. Should I just say I plan to take orgo lab, which will help me fulfill the relevant competency?

"In our experience, the above Knowledge Competencies are most successfully attained by applicants who have had a minimum of three years of study toward a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university in the U.S. or Canada as well as 40 credit hours of science and mathematics, including advanced biology courses for which letter grades are available (not Pass/Fail, unless college policy), 40 credit hours of humanities and social sciences.."

What does 40 credit hour mean? How does this translate into the number of semester-long courses?
10-14

Honestly, I'm probably going to just treat it as a "What have you improved since last time" essay and at the end include a generic sentence like "In the ____ cycle, I applied to a range of schools with similar applicant profiles to the AECOM".

I managed to use abbreviations to list all the schools. I'm still sitting on the application before submitting. We're at a catch 22 really. If we don't list the schools - we directly ignored their directions (they might not like that). If we list the schools then they know where we applied to and that we got in no where which they can assume a number of things about us from this point.... Here's a scenario that comes to mind (it probably isn't anything remotely like this, but whatever):

Several committee members sit in a stuffy little room. The fluorescent lights above flicker and buzz in fixed intervals. In front each member is a stack. In each stack are medical school applications, dozens of them.

An older gentleman pushes his glasses up his nose and speaks, "Alright, what do we have here. Hmm, ew, this is a peculiar looking fellow. Let' see... name is Corvus Brachyrhnchos... Oh. He's a re-applicant, great. This will be easy. Looks like he applied to 22 different schools. He didn't get in anywhere."

"Wow, what a talentless peasant," cries one younger member with a wickedly sinister smile.

"Hmm, indeed, indeed. Looks like we made the right call last time," the gentleman replies.

"Yep, let's put this with the others. **** this guy, " another member declares.

The old gentleman, with purpose, loudly stamps the application with big, bright and red letters that read DO NOT ACCEPT. He turns to his assistant who eagerly stands by, clipboard in hand. "Shred this piece of **** with the others."

Reactions: 12 users
Will it be possible to submit the secondary before uploading the photo?

I am currently in my gap year (only 1)

"I have taken off at least a year since college graduation" is the same as "I plan to take off this year, after just having graduated, while I apply to medical school."?
I'm in the same boat. Anyone can answer this question? I'd call Admissions but it's late...

I'm in the same boat. Anyone can answer this question? I'd call Admissions but it's late...
I'm only going yes to the second. I interpreted "at least 1 year" as >1 not >=1 (something I think I learned taking the SATs LOL)

I'm only going yes to the second. I interpreted "at least 1 year" as >1 not >=1 (something I think I learned taking the SATs LOL)
Maybe I misunderstood your post. I'm currently in my second gap year, so I will have been two years out of school by the time I (hopefully) matriculate.

I'm only going yes to the latter. I interpreted "at least 1 year" as >1 not >=1 (something I think I learned taking the SATs LOL)
Maybe I misunderstood your post. I'm currently in my second gap year, so I will have been two years out of school by the time I (hopefully) matriculate.
Well in your case, I'd check the prior since the latter definitely doesn't sound like it applies to ya

I graduated in 13 so I answered the first one with yes and describe what I have been doing since graduation. I answered the second one with yes and described what I will be doing for the next year.

I graduated in 13 so I answered the first one with yes and describe what I have been doing since graduation. I answered the second one with yes and described what I will be doing for the next year.
I guess that could work! I just thought "just having graduated" meant you graduated in May 2014 not May 2013. Depends how you see it I guess

I guess that could work! I just thought "just having graduated" meant you graduated in May 2014 not May 2013. Depends how you see it I guess

Yeah, I just started it off by saying something along the lines of- although I graduated last year, I have another year off while I apply to medical school and this is what I will be doing...blah blah

How are people answering the pre-med pre-req question? Einstein switched to this new competency thing, but I haven't done orgo lab. Should I just say I plan to take orgo lab, which will help me fulfill the relevant competency?

That is probably fine. You say "I've fulfilled everything but Orgo Lab which I will take in X semester."

I don't like the competency question. I had to really think about where I learned some of those things!

So this is probably a dumb question but I submitted my application and while reviewing the submitted version I noticed it said "Entering class: 2014-2015." The application is obviously the 2014-2015 cycle but the entering class should be 2015-2016, right? Did I do something wrong or am I just overanalyzing the wording?

I haven't been able to login! I created an account and then it keeps saying my password is incorrect. What is the username? :((

I managed to use abbreviations to list all the schools. I'm still sitting on the application before submitting. We're at a catch 22 really. If we don't list the schools - we directly ignored their directions (they might not like that). If we list the schools then they know where we applied to and that we got in no where which they can assume a number of things about us from this point.... Here's a scenario that comes to mind (it probably isn't anything remotely like this, but whatever):

Several committee members sit in a stuffy little room. The fluorescent lights above flicker and buzz in fixed intervals. In front each member is a stack. In each stack are medical school applications, dozens of them.

An older gentleman pushes his glasses up his nose and speaks, "Alright, what do we have here. Hmm, ew, this is a peculiar looking fellow. Let' see... name is Corvus Brachyrhnchos... Oh. He's a re-applicant, great. This will be easy. Looks like he applied to 22 different schools. He didn't get in anywhere."

"Wow, what a talentless peasant," cries one younger member with a wickedly sinister smile.

"Hmm, indeed, indeed. Looks like we made the right call last time," the gentleman replies.

"Yep, let's put this with the others. **** this guy, " another member declares.

The old gentleman, with purpose, loudly stamps the application with big, bright and red letters that read DO NOT ACCEPT. He turns to his assistant who eagerly stands by, clipboard in hand. "Shred this piece of **** with the others."
So true... Part of me thinks it might be worth it to call the admissions office and see if they can clarify what they are looking for in the prompt.

I haven't been able to login! I created an account and then it keeps saying my password is incorrect. What is the username? :((

it's the email you entered while registering. to register you use your AAMC ID

Looks like they updated the pre-req question to reflect their focus on competencies.

I didn't see any essays on the app except for the one about paid work during the academic year. Is this real life or did I goof really hard?

If you clicked yes for the competencies question, did a box open up for you to write further explanation?