You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Boston University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Anyone wanna make the FB group? If not I'm down to make it 🙂
Do it! And post the link here after if you can 🙂
If deferred, when is the best time to send in an update letter? I'm wondering if there's such a thing as sending it too early, and they 'forget' about you when March comes along...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If deferred, when is the best time to send in an update letter? I'm wondering if there's such a thing as sending it too early, and they 'forget' about you when March comes along...
Whatever you send goes into your "folder," which they will go through again during their review of applications. So I don't believe they will forget it. From what the dean said, it seems like BU gives a thorough and equal look through each applicants folder. Best time is probably whenever you can.
Does anyone know around what time they start looking (again) at the applications of those who were deferred?
can anyone comment on the flow of interview day at BUSM and the general feel?
I know that it starts from from 745 am and goes until 3pm (and extra session from 3-4) but I can't find a breakdown in the email or online of what actually goes on in between those two times. I know that there is only one 1-on-1 interview but does everyone go to it at the same time? also, about how big are the interview groups per interview day? thanks a ton!
edit/update: just found the schedule online here for anyone else who's wondering: http://www.bumc.bu.edu/admissions/applicationprocess/interviewday/
would still appreciate some info regarding the feel and # of interviewers per day tho!
I know that it starts from from 745 am and goes until 3pm (and extra session from 3-4) but I can't find a breakdown in the email or online of what actually goes on in between those two times. I know that there is only one 1-on-1 interview but does everyone go to it at the same time? also, about how big are the interview groups per interview day? thanks a ton!
edit/update: just found the schedule online here for anyone else who's wondering: http://www.bumc.bu.edu/admissions/applicationprocess/interviewday/
would still appreciate some info regarding the feel and # of interviewers per day tho!
Last edited:
can people comment on the flow of interview day at BUSM and the general feel?
I know that it starts from from 745 am and goes until 3pm (and extra session from 3-4) but I can't find a breakdown in the email or online of what actually goes on in between those two times. I know that there is only one 1-on-1 interview but does everyone go to it at the same time? also, about how big are the interview groups per interview day? thanks a ton!
It drags on like nothing else, the speakers are like used car salesman and actors, especially Witzberg who will drone endlessly and histrionically about the past of 100 years of BU without bothering to actually sell the current school to applicants. Chances are you'll either have your interview or some weird awkward group discussion with a faculty member and some other interviewees pretty early in the day, which mostly means the faculty member will go on some random tangent for the whole hour. Half interview, half do the "group interview" (it doesn't matter though for anything). After that you'll get a tour, then lunch, and a few more hours of droning.
Last edited:
It drags on like nothing else, the speakers are like used car salesman and actors, especially Witzberg who will drone endlessly and histrionically about the past of 100 years of BU without bothering to actually sell the current school to applicants. Chances are you'll either have your interview or some weird awkward group discussion with a faculty member and some other interviewees pretty early in the day, which mostly means the faculty member will go on some random tangent for the whole hour. Half interview, half do the "group interview" (it doesn't matter though for anything). After that you'll get a tour, then lunch, and a few more hours of droning.
Lmao, @pinkPEACE I'll give you a realistic overview of interview day. ~30 applicants per interview group. First, 45 min introduction (BU history, principles, facilities, volunteer opportunities, I think curriculum too) followed by 1 interview that's about an hour long (mine was 50 min). After that, all applicants attend a group Q and A session with one faculty member, then interview group is split into 2 groups for tours with 4th years. Then lunch. A mandatory financial aid session is included in there somewhere, can't remember when...Optional diversity talk at end of interview day, only about 5 applicants attended the diversity talk on my interview day.
Lmao, @pinkPEACE I'll give you a realistic overview of interview day. ~30 applicants per interview group. First, 45 min introduction (BU history, principles, facilities, volunteer opportunities, I think curriculum too) followed by 1 interview that's about an hour long (mine was 50 min). After that, all applicants attend a group Q and A session with one faculty member, then interview group is split into 2 groups for tours with 4th years. Then lunch. A mandatory financial aid session is included in there somewhere, can't remember when...Optional diversity talk at end of interview day, only about 5 applicants attended the diversity talk on my interview day.
thank you!!! @giraffesuptop
for the Q and A session with the faculty member....what is the topic regarding? does the faculty member initiate questions or is it to answer applicants' questions? i'm on the quiet side (esp when I'm nervous as I'm sure I'll be on interview day) so I'm kind of worried about forcing myself to participate and then reanalyze what i said 20 x once the day's over. lol. or is it really low-key/low-stress?
Thank you for literally voicing my concerns lolthank you!!! @giraffesuptop
for the Q and A session with the faculty member....what is the topic regarding? does the faculty member initiate questions or is it to answer applicants' questions? i'm on the quiet side (esp when I'm nervous as I'm sure I'll be on interview day) so I'm kind of worried about forcing myself to participate and then reanalyze what i said 20 x once the day's over. lol. or is it really low-key/low-stress?
Lol no prob, glad to know i'm not the only one!!Thank you for literally voicing my concerns lol
thank you!!! @giraffesuptop
for the Q and A session with the faculty member....what is the topic regarding? does the faculty member initiate questions or is it to answer applicants' questions? i'm on the quiet side (esp when I'm nervous as I'm sure I'll be on interview day) so I'm kind of worried about forcing myself to participate and then reanalyze what i said 20 x once the day's over. lol. or is it really low-key/low-stress?
The Q and A session is definitely not stressful, its just a chance for applicants to ask whatever questions they want. The faculty member doesn't ask the applicants anything. My interview group was 30 people so it wouldn't even have been realistic for everyone to ask a question. BU said they strive to make the interview day super low stress so don't sweat it!
At my interview the faculty answered student questions. However, there was some time when no questions were asked and the faculty just talked about whatever. I don't even remember what was said. I did not ask any questions...maybe that's why i was deferred! Doubtful...
thank you!!! @giraffesuptop
for the Q and A session with the faculty member....what is the topic regarding? does the faculty member initiate questions or is it to answer applicants' questions? i'm on the quiet side (esp when I'm nervous as I'm sure I'll be on interview day) so I'm kind of worried about forcing myself to participate and then reanalyze what i said 20 x once the day's over. lol. or is it really low-key/low-stress?
It's low key and has no bearing whatsoever on your chances. I was virtually silent during the Q and A and was accepted with a Dean's scholarship.
It's low key and has no bearing whatsoever on your chances. I was virtually silent during the Q and A and was accepted with a Dean's scholarship.
+1
Basically exactly what others have said! Groups are usually 20-30 people at a time and the day overall should hopefully be low-stress. They try to give applicants lots of opportunities to ask questions, but no one is keeping tabs on who is/isn't saying what. You'll get to chat with a faculty member, students during lunch (usually M1/M2s) and then your tour guides (usually M3/M4s). The tour is almost always before lunch (11-12, and then lunch 12-1), but occasionally we swap them depending on M1/M2 class schedules. As someone else mentioned, there's an optional diversity talk at the end of the day and it really is completely optional, so don't stress out about going if you don't feel like it 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is this pre-interview? Sorry to hear the unfortunate news : /Rejected today !
Yes pre-interview 🙁Is this pre-interview? Sorry to hear the unfortunate news : /
How have others handled thank you letters here? There seems to be a place in the portal but i'm worried this is for a general thank you and not for our specific interviewer. Phase 1 people, your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I did not write one but the portal is there to make it easier. If you want to address it specifically to your interviewer you can email the letter if he or she gave you their email or you can still send it through the portal. I think either method would do the trick. It is up to you just like writing a thank you note is up to you. Don't think you have to though, as it will not or at least should not influence their decision in any way.
Stay patient. I was complete in late July and I did not get an interview invite until early January.So I've been complete since early August and my application doesn't seem to have moved an inch. Anyone else in the same boat? What'd the deal?
How have others handled thank you letters here? There seems to be a place in the portal but i'm worried this is for a general thank you and not for our specific interviewer. Phase 1 people, your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
My interviewer gave me her e-mail address for a thank you note, so I sent her one via e-mail. I doubt it will make/break anybody's application though, so don't stress!
What was your complete date?Just rejected pre-II and really bummed about it since BU was one of my top choices :/
But it is what it is and I wish nothing but good luck to everyone still in the running!
Stats/Complete?Just rejected pre-II and really bummed about it since BU was one of my top choices :/
But it is what it is and I wish nothing but good luck to everyone still in the running!
Complete 12/29 (admittedly extremely late, but I'm working for a professor of medicine at BU and he adamantly told me to wait to submit until he wrote and submitted a LOR for me, apparently it didn't help). OOS, 31 MCAT, 3.9 GPA. Once again, good luck to everyone else.
i got it too. my guess is everyone did
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yeah I got it too...
Did everyone get the paragraph that said to prepare your FAFSA materials?
Yep, I'm thinking that everyone got it. I was surprised to see an email from them. I was like wait, is it March already...
Received that email too this morning, but no II. Sent an update last month and currently praying for a last-minute invite..
same same same! #allofusgettingin
No email here. #mostlikelyrejectedpile
What?? Did you interview??
No interview yetWhat?? Did you interview??
No interview yet
Aw bummer! Well they may have just sent them out in batches. It's not over til it's over. Don't lose faith [emoji5]️
hi,
does anyone know when the second batch of interviewees (jan to mid-feb) are supposed to find out about their decision? i remember from interview day they said "early march" but I'm wondering if some of the more recent interviewees have heard of a more specific time (first or second week of march)?
february has never seemed so long in all the years i've been living.
does anyone know when the second batch of interviewees (jan to mid-feb) are supposed to find out about their decision? i remember from interview day they said "early march" but I'm wondering if some of the more recent interviewees have heard of a more specific time (first or second week of march)?
february has never seemed so long in all the years i've been living.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi,
does anyone know when the second batch of interviewees (jan to mid-feb) are supposed to find out about their decision? i remember from interview day they said "early march" but I'm wondering if some of the more recent interviewees have heard of a more specific time (first or second week of march)?
february has never seemed so long in all the years i've been living.
Both those who interviewed before January and were deferred (1st batch) and those who interviewed after (second batch) will be notified of a decision around mid march... maybe early march (last year it was late march) but my email said mid march. Whatever day that is, acceptances usually go out a day or so before rejections and waitlist.
Making an educated guess I would put that date in the second week of March. That is based on my email saying mid march and the fact that the verification emails were sent on Feb 7, and based on last year's verification emails being sent on or around feb 28, their decision came about a month after.
Both those who interviewed before January and were deferred (1st batch) and those who interviewed after (second batch) will be notified of a decision around mid march... maybe early march (last year it was late march) but my email said mid march. Whatever day that is, acceptances usually go out a day or so before rejections and waitlist.
Making an educated guess I would put that date in the second week of March. That is based on my email saying mid march and the fact that the verification emails were sent on Feb 7, and based on last year's verification emails being sent on or around feb 28, their decision came about a month after.
Remember that the deadline for schools to give out at least as many acceptances as spaces in their class got moved up to March 15 this year, so these notifications will most likely be first or second week in March.
hey all!
I plan to write and sent an update/letter of intent this week (post-interview, deferred in Jan). Does anyone have any idea if they have started reviewing us pre-jan interviewees yet? Is there a chance that they have already looked at some of our apps?
I will be calling on Monday to find out, but thought I'd ask here just in case. 🙂
I plan to write and sent an update/letter of intent this week (post-interview, deferred in Jan). Does anyone have any idea if they have started reviewing us pre-jan interviewees yet? Is there a chance that they have already looked at some of our apps?
I will be calling on Monday to find out, but thought I'd ask here just in case. 🙂
Remember that the deadline for schools to give out at least as many acceptances as spaces in their class got moved up to March 15 this year, so these notifications will most likely be first or second week in March.
Thanks, did not know about the change. I am looking forward to the first or second week of March then. I hope it will be good news though.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K