2014-2015 California Northstate University College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the acceptance phone call today. Interviewed 7/10

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an acceptance phone call today.

Reactions: 3 users
Same here, they just called me about 5 mins ago!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Guess we could have a template?:

Interview Date: 7/10
LizzyM: ~69

Reactions: 1 user
Interview date: 7/10

Stats: 3.68/27

Have I heard back: Not yet.

Last edited:
Interview Date: 7/7
LizzyM: I didn't know what this was until I just googled it, but ~65

Acceptance phone call today:

Interview day: 7/7

Lizzy M - 67

Well hopefully I will get a call tomorrow. Congrats to those that got in already.

Reactions: 4 users
I got an interview invite a few days ago

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
3.5 smp
34 mcat
interview 7/10
acceptance 7/16

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
So it looks like people who interviewed on 7/10 are hearing about acceptances. With that in mind, I have a two questions:

1) Has anyone gotten waitlisted or rejected?
2) Since people from 7/10 have heard back, does that mean there are no more 7/7 acceptances?

I interviewed 7/7 and haven't heard anything from them yet. But I'm thinking I will probably get a rejection email tomorrow morning. Wouldn't make much sense to call acceptances for 7/10 unless you had already called all the acceptances for 7/7. But I just have to wait and see.

just got an interview invitation. can anyone recommend a motel?
The Holiday Inn that the school recommends is really close to school and it seemed like it was pretty new. They also offer a discount to students who are coming to the interviews, so mention that when you call for a reservation.

Anyways, I interviewed 7/10 and got the acceptance call today 7/15. LizzyM is in the mid 60s.

I interviewed 7/7 and haven't heard anything from them yet. But I'm thinking I will probably get a rejection email tomorrow morning. Wouldn't make much sense to call acceptances for 7/10 unless you had already called all the acceptances for 7/7. But I just have to wait and see.
Don't lose hope yet. I expect that they are reviewing the 7/7 and 7/10 interviewees simultaneously and making offers to those with the highest stats first. I expect that thursday and friday will be eventful days for candidates in both batches

Reactions: 1 users
I hope so. This has been Avery long road for me and CNU kind of fell into my lap, outside of UC Davis this school is the best fit I could even hope for. Guess I am in just a slightly pessimistic mood today, got the dang MCAT retake this weekend and waiting to hear back from CNU is giving me all kinds of nerves.

Don't lose hope yet. I expect that they are reviewing the 7/7 and 7/10 interviewees simultaneously and making offers to those with the highest stats first. I expect that thursday and friday will be eventful days for candidates in both batches

Well said. I was thinking the same thing (and hoping for it, since I figured there'd technically be more available spots then, haha).

As of now, there are 6 interview dates schedule. Their class size is 60; I would say they need to offer at least 80 acceptance from now till mid August. They would probably offer more acceptance early since on rolling admission. I would say they will offer at least 20 acceptance each for the first two interview; and 10 acceptance each interview after. So about 2/3 (20/36) of applicants in the first two batch will be accepted. Don't worry; a lot of you will hear your phone ring this week.

I hope so. This has been Avery long road for me and CNU kind of fell into my lap, outside of UC Davis this school is the best fit I could even hope for. Guess I am in just a slightly pessimistic mood today, got the dang MCAT retake this weekend and waiting to hear back from CNU is giving me all kinds of nerves.
In the same situation. It's tough. Good luck to both of us

Anybody can shine more light on the "private loan" thing?. I click on the private loan tab on their website and it take me to another page that did not even have California Norstate Medical School to select (they have the pharmacy one though). And they ask for the total loan amount, which I have no ideas how much. So we do not have federal loan this year because they still applying right; but do we have federal loan next year, so I only need to borrow private loan this year only? It just is very confusing, and they have not sent any financial aid worksheet yet. Help?

Don't have the paper in front of me but from what I remember tuition is going to be $56k and totally cost of attendance would be $80k both numbers are per year. While it's possible CNU might get federal loans next year (this would be dependent on them adding on the medical school to their application for their pharmacy school it's somewhat complicated), I would approach this school with the belief you will need to do private loans for the full 4 years. That way you don't get surprised by any extra costs.

All,

I am -- like you -- just a little bit confused, so I thought I'd sum up what I've learned thus far.

For the 2014-2015 application cycle (for entry this Fall 2015):

- Step #1: Submit primary application via CNUCOM portal:
https://californianorthstateuniversity.formstack.com/forms/college_of_medicine

I completed this on Wednesday, 8 July 2015.

- Step #2: Submit secondary application via CNUCOM portal:
(I don't think I should share this URL publicly)

I received this on Friday, 10 July 2015 and have one week to complete it. The only thing CNUCOM received from me prior to my receiving a secondary application was 1) my primary application and 2) my MCAT score report.

- Step #3: Submit recommendation letters to [email protected] or via snail-mail

I have not done this yet.

- Step #4: Submit MCAT score report to [email protected]

I completed this on Wednesday, 8 July 2015.

- Step #5: Submit transcripts directly to [email protected] or via snail-mail

I have not done this yet. Based off this answer from CNUCOM's FAQ, I didn't think I needed to do it.

However, that is most likely for Fall 2016 and beyond. For those of us applying for Fall 2015, we do need to send transcripts, based off this answer from CNUCOM's FAQ:

Hopefully these are just the growing pains of a compressed/late application cycle.

Thankfully, these are the steps for the 2015-2016 application cycle (for entry next Fall 2016):
- Just do what AMCAS tells us to do (and what we do for every other allopathic, US-based medical school)!

Respectfully,
Moose

A quick follow-up from me. Hope this helps with expectation management.

My application to CNUCOM for the 2014-2015 application cycle (for entry this Fall 2015):
- Wednesday, 8 July 2015: submitted primary application via CNUCOM portal
- Wednesday, 8 July 2015: submitted MCAT score reports to [email protected]
- Friday, 10 July 2015: received secondary application (given one week to complete)
- Monday, 13 July 2015: submitted secondary application via CNUCOM portal
- Monday, 13 July 2015: had recommenders re-submit their letters (originally completed in Summer 2014) to [email protected]
- Monday, 13 July 2015: began requesting transcripts (both electronic and snail-mail)
- Wednesday, 15 July 2015: received interview invitation
- Monday, 27 July 2015: will interview at CNUCOM's campus

Yes...it's awfully quick.

My application to CNUCOM for the 2015-2016 application cycle (for entry next Fall 2016):
- Friday, 10 July 2015: submitted primary application via AMCAS

Respectfully,
Moose

Last edited:
Can the people who got acceptance calls yesterday post when they get the email please?
Gracias!

Hey I'm looking to apply, but won't be receiving my MCAT scores until August. Can any of you chime in on if there's a point in trying to apply for August admission? I've emailed the office a few times, but haven't received a response!!

If you haven't previously sat the MCAT, you're going to need to apply for the next cycle. The last set of interviews will be during early August I believe, so by that time you're out of the running for an II.

Hey I'm looking to apply, but won't be receiving my MCAT scores until August. Can any of you chime in on if there's a point in trying to apply for August admission? I've emailed the office a few times, but haven't received a response!!
I would try calling if I were you. You might get a quicker response that way.
Is this your first MCAT? If so, when in August will you get your scores back? Deadline for supplemental is August 5 according to their site, so you may be really pushing it... especially since they do rolling admissions. Best thing to do is probably call and ask since they will know better than me. Good luck!

Once again, as soon as today's acceptances start going out please post here!

If you haven't previously sat the MCAT, you're going to need to apply for the next cycle. The last set of interviews will be during early August I believe, so by that time you're out of the running for an II.
I doubt you have a shot this year since the app close in early August. Maybe you can apply for the following cycle and have more choice.

just trying to connect with accepted applicants thinking about attending in September. PM me if you want.

As of now, there are 6 interview dates schedule. Their class size is 60; I would say they need to offer at least 80 acceptance from now till mid August. They would probably offer more acceptance early since on rolling admission. I would say they will offer at least 20 acceptance each for the first two interview; and 10 acceptance each interview after. So about 2/3 (20/36) of applicants in the first two batch will be accepted. Don't worry; a lot of you will hear your phone ring this week.

how many days do you get to respond to the offer?

how many days do you get to respond to the offer?

I was told 7 days from when we receive the official notice. Haven't received the email yet, though I think it might be coming by snail-mail.

Interviewed 7/7 Accepted 7/15

Definitely attending.

GPA >3.7 MCAT 33

For all the other accepted students thinking about attending, we should start a facebook page or something..... Try to organize some living situations or some social gatherings before school starts in less than two months!

Maybe They are waiting for people to respond this week first before deciding on other applicants?

Maybe but God I want to hear if I got in before Saturday I so don't want to have to retake the MCAT this weekend!!!!

Are most people who received II's California residents?

I'm thinking maybe they were too busy prepping for interviews tomorrow, so no calls today. Just a guess though
there are interviews tomorrow as well? I thought it was one week interviews and one week off.

Anybody successfully applied for the private loans with the lender from their website? What is the amount requested? What is about the 2 millions dollar scholarship? Sorry, it just stress me out that I need to be sure if I have enough loan to pay for the tuition; I don't want to wait until the first date of class to find out that I don't have enough loan for school. I don't have rich parents and already owed some student loans myself. Will the school make sure that we will have enough loan to pay for at least the first year? Anyone can shed light about this whole private loan thing is appreciated.

there are interviews tomorrow as well? I thought it was one week interviews and one week off.
Oh is that the case? I thought they were doing every Tuesday and Friday in July. This is just what I thought I overheard. I could be very wrong haha. Like I said, it was just a guess

Anybody successfully applied for the private loans with the lender from their website? What is the amount requested? What is about the 2 millions dollar scholarship? Sorry, it just stress me out that I need to be sure if I have enough loan to pay for the tuition; I don't want to wait until the first date of class to find out that I don't have enough loan for school. I don't have rich parents and already owed some student loans myself. Will the school make sure that we will have enough loan to pay for at least the first year? Anyone can shed light about this whole private loan thing is appreciated.

I haven't thought about loans yet. I'll think about it after I get the official acceptance in the mail/email ;p

Did anyone get the official acceptance email yet? Or are they sending regular mail? I could've sworn we were supposed to get emails.