2014-2015 Columbia University College of P&S Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I set up my UNI and email alias and stuff, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to log in to my email account. Are we not officially set up with email yet?

Same problem. Also, are we going to get a cumc.columbia.edu email in addition to the columbia.edu?...

Edit: didn't see the above replys. So I guess so?

Members don't see this ad.

I may have to sign a lease in another city soon :(

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the double-post, but I just received an email from Dean Nicholas saying that they're seeing fewer withdrawals than past years and it's happening more slowly. He said they are unsure how things will go in the weeks that remain but that I remain among a small group of high priority on the waiting list and that I'll be kept under active consideration.

I just got an "it's not over, but it isn't looking good for you" email from the Dean. Although it is not the news that I wanted, I really appreciate hearing something!

Sorry for the double-post, but I just received an email from Dean Nicholas saying that they're seeing fewer withdrawals than past years and it's happening more slowly. He said they are unsure how things will go in the weeks that remain but that I remain among a small group of high priority on the waiting list and that I'll be kept under active consideration.
+1

I just got an "it's not over, but it isn't looking good for you" email from the Dean. Although it is not the news that I wanted, I really appreciate hearing something!

EDIT: just to clarify, the email I received is different than the one Temerit received above.

Hi! I still have at least 3+ years before applying to med school, but I'd like to know the stats of those who were waitlisted/accepted to get a general idea (I started reading from page 16-21). Thanks!
@Temerit @mmmcdowe

Hi! I still have at least 3+ years before applying to med school, but I'd like to know the stats of those who were waitlisted/accepted to get a general idea (I started reading from page 16-21). Thanks!
@Temerit @mmmcdowe

According to MSAR, average (median) stats are 3.85/36, but this will likely change (generally upwards) by the time you apply.

@WedgeDawg I just finished my freshman year in college. The school I go to...doesn't really focus on science. It's mostly Business and Acting.
I'm used to College Confidential where people post their exact stats, but it seems people are more secretive here...would it be bad for me to list mine and ask for ways of improvement?
BTW I read every page of this thread, and saw something about a CV? I know it's like a more in-depth version of your resume, but how can I make mine stand out? How do I even begin making one?

Members don't see this ad :)
@WedgeDawg I just finished my freshman year in college. The school I go to...doesn't really focus on science. It's mostly Business and Acting.
I'm used to College Confidential where people post their exact stats, but it seems people are more secretive here...would it be bad for me to list mine and ask for ways of improvement?
BTW I read every page of this thread, and saw something about a CV? I know it's like a more in-depth version of your resume, but how can I make mine stand out? How do I even begin making one?

Take your science classes and do well, then perform well on the MCAT and you'll be in good shape. People here list their exact stats when asking for help making a school list, but generally give less information in threads like these. This is partially because people don't necessarily like everyone knowing their stats but I think more because there is such a large amount of variability in stats for any given school, which is why you'll see the 10-90th percentile used instead of 25-75 like it is for college. A CV is probably not necessary after your freshman year of college and certainly isn't necessary for applying to medical school, but it's a good way to keep track of your accomplishments. Just google "physician CV" for a template.

@WedgeDawg can I PM you? or you PM me? (I'm not exactly sure how to do that on this site... xD)

@AlphaBeta<3 , it would be impossible for you to generalize anything from this small pool of people. Plus, many who were accepted have stopped coming to this thread or SDN all together.
MDApp website having a lot of readily available data points can be more useful.

Reactions: 1 users
Assuming deafening silence,

@10Acious you have no idea how stoked I would be for you if you got a call from Columbia. I'm rooting for you!!
It's been a quiet WL season over in NYC (well for NYU & Columbia at least)

Thanks a bunch for the good karma @Temerit !! :D

Reactions: 1 user
Guys I got accepted!!!

I can't even believe it I had given up all hope!

My interviewer (Dr. DB in peds) called last night, missed me, and called again this morning.

So excited!!!!

Edit: complete in September, II in October, interviewed in December, LizzyM 75+

Edit 2: also got portal acceptance around 11 am
Any tips for the interview? I got one from this school

I am literally still on the damn wait list and my interview was almost a year ago. This is flat out ridiculous. I would appreciate a straight-up rejection rather than a 'hang on we want to keep your hopes up but not really' sort of deal..

I am literally still on the damn wait list and my interview was almost a year ago. This is flat out ridiculous. I would appreciate a straight-up rejection rather than a 'hang on we want to keep your hopes up but not really' sort of deal..

I'm sorry for your situation. Orientation starts in less than a week, at which point I assume the waitlist will be closed and rejections will be issued.