2014-2015 Columbia University College of P&S Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Premed bro code: First person to get the call, update sdn family first, then blood family

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
LOL the up and down rollercoaster of this thread:corny:

although im the same boat lol:D

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, we should just go outside or something haha

Reactions: 1 users
Just got a call that I was moved onto a smaller, high-priority waiting list! They said they'd let me know about my admission decision soon. I had no idea they did that!

Reactions: 6 users
Just got a call that I was moved onto a smaller, high-priority waiting list! They said they'd let me know about my admission decision soon. I had no idea they did that!
Sounds like undergrad admissions. I was on the WL, then later in the summer, a smaller WL. Way to go!

JUST GOT THE SAME CALL!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Does it appear on your portal as well? I'm somewhere where if I get a call it might not necessarily come through.

Does it appear on your portal as well? I'm somewhere where if I get a call it might not necessarily come through.
I got the call as well, and as far as I can tell it does not show up anywhere on your portal.

i feel like the only person who hasn't gotten said call to be on high priority wait list... guess I'll just have to hope they haven't finished making said calls??? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel the the same way...

Come on keep the up hope!

Btw, do they only give acceptances to the people on this new higher priority waitlist?

i feel like the only person who hasn't gotten said call to be on high priority wait list... guess I'll just have to hope they haven't finished making said calls??? :(

The realty is that Columbia has a giant waitlist (virtually everyone that they didn't accept post-interview) and only a small minority will be accepted. I love Columbia, but I have no false notions about my chances of being picked from the WL. It sucks, I know, but there are just so few spots in the class.

The realty is that Columbia has a giant waitlist (virtually everyone that they didn't accept post-interview) and only a small minority will be accepted. I love Columbia, but I have no false notions about my chances of being picked from the WL. It sucks, I know, but there are just so few spots in the class.

I have to say that even after being "short-listed", I am not expecting to get accepted. It was a little sad to get a call from Columbia ("they only call for acceptances!") and then being just waitlisted again. But we will see! The chance of getting an interview out of all these applicants was pretty low as well.

I have to say that even after being "short-listed", I am not expecting to get accepted. It was a little sad to get a call from Columbia ("they only call for acceptances!") and then being just waitlisted again. But we will see! The chance of getting an interview out of all these applicants was pretty low as well.
I've been trying to divine how they whittle down such an enormous wait-list. One would imagine they have a rationale for keeping so many of us on tenterhooks (and surely it's not just indecision!) Thus, perhaps there does exist some situation under which each of the wait-listed candidates would be accepted. Perhaps they've found a large number withdraw from the wait-list after being offered acceptance at another excellent school? If anyone here has some wisdom on their decision-making process post April 30th (and now past May 15th, too!)...
In any case, still waiting/wishing/hoping but not one of the lucky ones who got a phone call yesterday. Good luck to everyone else still waiting to hear--I hope we'll all be classmates come August.

Reactions: 2 users
Everytime my phone rings my heart skips a beat... i feel like an unattractive 16-year old with a healthy libido and high standards

So if we didn't make the short list maybe it's time to direct our hopes elsewhere?

So if we didn't make the short list maybe it's time to direct our hopes elsewhere?
Could the phone calls be akin to the handwritten notes on thank you letters in past years? Wait-list acceptances were not exclusive to those who received handwritten notes. (I'll hang on to any thread of hope!)

Reactions: 4 users
I think that's supposed to be crickets -- i.e. still no movement ~20 days after the April 30th deadline.
Oh.

I spoke with another school I'm waitlisted at this morning and they said they're expecting very little WL movement this year. Is it just something about this cycle? Or perhaps I am too biased an observer...

Oh.

I spoke with another school I'm waitlisted at this morning and they said they're expecting very little WL movement this year. Is it just something about this cycle? Or perhaps I am too biased an observer...
What school was it?

I wouldn't worry about that

Anyone who received a call last week: were you given any indication of when we might hear something?

Anyone who received a call last week: were you given any indication of when we might hear something?

You already know my answer, but in saying it here for the benefit of others. They told me they would let me know "soon" and "once the admissions committee meets".

Thanks so much guys. Yeah I did get the call last week. Super excited to head to New York next year! Best of luck with the waitlist, I look forward to attending P&S with some of you!

Reactions: 5 users
Didn't get a call last week. Just opened AMCAS 2016 tab. Here we go! Copy pasta time ^.^

Does anyone know how many people get that high priority waitlist call? Should we just not bother waiting if we didn't get that call?

Deleting the post: clearly it was driven by frustration & concern for applicants ... but best to leave things alone

Last edited:
This "high-priority" limbo state between Accepted and Wait-Listed is plain silly. On behalf of all applicants, I have just sent this email to the Dean:

Dr.Lee Goldman,
As a parent, it has been extremely frustrating to watch the gyrations that all Medical school applicants are subjected to, which is completely unheard of in other fields of study. But the latest from Columbia takes the cake - that's why I'm appealing to you directly. This letter will also be posted on the Student-Doctor Forum for all to read (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ege-of-p-s-application-thread.1073982/page-20)

The deadline for all applicants to drop all acceptances but one was 30th April. On 14th May someone from Columbia called some wait-listed applicants with this message:
- you are now on a "high-priority" list
- final admission decision will be soon, committee will meet within a week
- please complete all financial aid forms
- please stay close to your phone

Today is 29th May and there has been no feedback since the 14th phone call. This is plain ridiculous. You surely are well aware that students are frantically finding roommates, apartments and signing leases, since start of school is 2 months away? Under these circumstances, it is utterly irresponsible of Columbia to tell applicants that they are "close" and then leave them hanging. You already have all the applicant information you need to make decisions. Why don't you just make the final decision and let the students know??? Instead of putting them in a limbo state where they cannot make any concrete plans. There is no excuse for this. This process shows complete disregard for the plight of applicants and shows Columbia in a very poor light. Please set this straight ASAP.

I'm taking this step on behalf of the applicants, who are understandably afraid to make any noise and adversely affect their chances.

Thank you in advance.
Unfortunately, Mom, this is the process. Med schools can't make everyone decide simultaneously. I imagine it is like hearding cats. Especially at this level of competition, applicants most likely have multiple acceptances from amazing schools.

Also another thing is that this is the applicant's process and I'm not sure how reflective your email will come off as someone's parent. This is not college, it is a professional program and as such I think feedback like this should be given in a professional manner. Your harsh language is not inviting especially aimed at the Dean of one of the best programs in the country.

Be happy your child is on the high priority list. If you are unhappy about it, I will gladly take their spot.

I withdrew from Columbia's waitlist months ago, but I actually support @AngryMom. Unlike other schools, such as Northwestern, that ask if you're still interested in being on the WL, then immediately follow up with an acceptance if so, Columbia's high priority waitlist is utterly ridiculous. Clearly there has not been a high % of acceptances off of this list, at least based off of SDN. Speaking on behalf of a few close friends that are still waiting for the call from Columbia, I think what may be construed as something kind/helpful on the part of their admissions office is in fact much worse than no communication. False, heightened hope is far worse than silence.

This "high-priority" limbo state between Accepted and Wait-Listed is plain silly. On behalf of all applicants, I have just sent this email to the Dean:

Dr.Lee Goldman,
As a parent, it has been extremely frustrating to watch the gyrations that all Medical school applicants are subjected to, which is completely unheard of in other fields of study. But the latest from Columbia takes the cake - that's why I'm appealing to you directly. This letter will also be posted on the Student-Doctor Forum for all to read (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ege-of-p-s-application-thread.1073982/page-20)

The deadline for all applicants to drop all acceptances but one was 30th April. On 14th May someone from Columbia called some wait-listed applicants with this message:
- you are now on a "high-priority" list
- final admission decision will be soon, committee will meet within a week
- please complete all financial aid forms
- please stay close to your phone

Today is 29th May and there has been no feedback since the 14th phone call. This is plain ridiculous. You surely are well aware that students are frantically finding roommates, apartments and signing leases, since start of school is 2 months away? Under these circumstances, it is utterly irresponsible of Columbia to tell applicants that they are "close" and then leave them hanging. You already have all the applicant information you need to make decisions. Why don't you just make the final decision and let the students know??? Instead of putting them in a limbo state where they cannot make any concrete plans. There is no excuse for this. This process shows complete disregard for the plight of applicants and shows Columbia in a very poor light. Please set this straight ASAP.

I'm taking this step on behalf of the applicants, who are understandably afraid to make any noise and adversely affect their chances.

Thank you in advance.

upload_2015-5-29_14-30-44.jpeg

I understand this is frustrating, but also keep in mind that if people don't drop, then waitlists won't move. A high priority waitlist is still a waitlist. People on this list will be chosen first, but this will only happen if the waitlist is needed at all, and it certainly doesn't mean that everyone on this list will be chosen. Yale does the same thing with their 3-tiered list. You know your relative standing but there is absolutely no guarantee of admission, regardless of where you are on the list. That is something that everyone has to accept by choosing to remain on a waitlist.

I understand this is frustrating, but also keep in mind that if people don't drop, then waitlists won't move. A high priority waitlist is still a waitlist. People on this list will be chosen first, but this will only happen if the waitlist is needed at all, and it certainly doesn't mean that everyone on this list will be chosen. Yale does the same thing with their 3-tiered list. You know your relative standing but there is absolutely no guarantee of admission, regardless of where you are on the list. That is something that everyone has to accept by choosing to remain on a waitlist.

That seems like a rational argument, but I don't think it holds up well compared with Columbia's behavior. They didn't call people to inform them of the "priority waitlist status" until May 14th, a full two weeks after students had to commit to a single school and after most top tier schools had already begun waitlist movement. This gave ample time to see how large their yield from first round acceptances was, and what movement they saw from their accepted students list after April 30th. Those factors together should have given them a strong indication of how much, if any waitlist movement there would be.

The way I've interpreted this call, along with the much derided follow up letters from the admissions dean after interviews that "you will be kept in high regard", is much like a letter of intent to a school. Admission committees complain about these and claim they don't take these non-binding letters with any respect, but how are students to react to similar behavior from this admissions department?

For those wondering, called admissions office this morning and was told that the committee is still deliberating about candidates who did not receive a call to be placed on the HPWL. In other words, if your looking for some hope to hold on to, it exists. If you just want to forget about Columbia, well, you probably shouldn't have read this far into the comment. Best of luck to everyone!

For those wondering, called admissions office this morning and was told that the committee is still deliberating about candidates who did not receive a call to be placed on the HPWL. In other words, if your looking for some hope to hold on to, it exists. If you just want to forget about Columbia, well, you probably shouldn't have read this far into the comment. Best of luck to everyone!
Great thanks for the update and continuing to further my hope!

Before receiving the call I had pretty much written Columbia off... now I'm stressin' --- :mad:

Reactions: 4 users
I set up my UNI and email alias and stuff, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to log in to my email account. Are we not officially set up with email yet?

I set up my UNI and email alias and stuff, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to log in to my email account. Are we not officially set up with email yet?
I just spent 30 mins trying to do the same. I think that they have to set up the email once we activate the UNI. Then they send us instructions on what to do next?
Source: "Once you are notified that your CUMC Exchange account has been created."

I just spent 30 mins trying to do the same. I think that they have to set up the email once we activate the UNI. Then they send us instructions on what to do next?
Source: "Once you are notified that your CUMC Exchange account has been created."
I see. Thanks for clarifying! Glad I wasn't the only one lol