You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Duke University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Carolinas should be fine for the weather.So, is anyone else freaking out that the forecast of freezing rain in the south is going to delay admissions decisions? Have any current students heard any news on adcom progress? Or whether or not likely snow days will delay the announcements?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Carolinas should be fine for the weather.
I live locally, Durham is expected to get freezing rain all night, a friend of mine at Duke said his office is closing at 2pm today. Schools are already closing. I wouldn't be surprised if non-essential staff are off for a day or more?
Hey All,
Anyone have any idea as to roughly how many interviews Duke gave out this year?
Also, how many acceptances they usually give out (2x class size? 1.5x? 2.5x?).
Anyone have any idea as to roughly how many interviews Duke gave out this year?
Also, how many acceptances they usually give out (2x class size? 1.5x? 2.5x?).
at my interview during the last week, they said they had about 600+ (out of 5k completed secondaries) and I remember at some point the number of 160 acceptances? I expected higher though. someone correct me if I'm wrongHey All,
Anyone have any idea as to roughly how many interviews Duke gave out this year?
Also, how many acceptances they usually give out (2x class size? 1.5x? 2.5x?).
at my interview during the last week, they said they had about 600+ (out of 5k completed secondaries) and I remember at some point the number of 160 acceptances? I expected higher though. someone correct me if I'm wrong
woah, only 160 huh? sounds scarce, not even double the class size.
This is somewhat old, I think 2010 or 2011. But it shows Duke accepting 180 applicants for 100 slots. I know they have had to drop their admissions percentages for the last 2 years because with the new buildings, a higher percentage of people are matriculating at Duke (hence the classes of ~110). But they are aiming for a class or 110-112 this year, so we'll see!
I can't wait any longer! In one week I could know whether or not I'm moving to Durham. I interviewed so long ago I feel like it never even happened and I'm just getting a random email purely based on chance telling me what I'm doing for the next four years of my life.
It's so removed from my interview as well. I think it has also amplified my opinion on Duke. Distance makes the heart grow fonder, right?I can't wait any longer! In one week I could know whether or not I'm moving to Durham. I interviewed so long ago I feel like it never even happened and I'm just getting a random email purely based on chance telling me what I'm doing for the next four years of my life.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
woah, only 160 huh? sounds scarce, not even double the class size.
They overenrolled a few years ago, so they are much more cautious. (At least, that is what I remember from my interview.) After interviewing at other schools, it seems that many of them pull heavily off the waitlist.
It kind of makes sense. From the school's end, extensively utilizing the waitlist is a low-risk and economical move that likely yields a similar pool of matriculants.They overenrolled a few years ago, so they are much more cautious. (At least, that is what I remember from my interview.) After interviewing at other schools, it seems that many of them pull heavily off the waitlist.
So how much are we thinking the MMI is weighted here? I absolutely bombed mine and need some false reassurance from internet strangers.
1 arbitrary unit.
Under please!! Monday?I'm putting bets on decisions coming out next Friday. Any one want to take the under or over?
Also Willy38, I'm sure you did just fine!
I'm putting bets on decisions coming out next Friday. Any one want to take the under or over?
What odds could I get on a push.
I think they use the MMI scores to determine who makes it to the Admissions Committee's debate...take that for what its worth!So how much are we thinking the MMI is weighted here? I absolutely bombed mine and need some false reassurance from internet strangers.
So how much are we thinking the MMI is weighted here? I absolutely bombed mine and need some false reassurance from internet strangers.
Probably the most heavily weighted out of everything. It's okay. I think I bombed a couple stations too.So how much are we thinking the MMI is weighted here? I absolutely bombed mine and need some false reassurance from internet strangers.
I think I recall that the lowest station gets thrown out. It's better than another MMI I went to that an 'unusually' high score or low score could get thrown out.Probably the most heavily weighted out of everything. It's okay. I think I bombed a couple stations too.
I think I recall that the lowest station gets thrown out. It's better than another MMI I went to that an 'unusually' high score or low score could get thrown out.
I wonder if it mattered which station though. Unless all the stations were weighed the same.
Even though some stations were longer/combined (you know which one).
I'm putting bets on decisions coming out next Friday. Any one want to take the under or over?
Under please!! Monday?
Also Willy38, I'm sure you did just fine!
Oh no! I thought they were supposed to begin on the 23rd? I had an interview on February 12th, and that's what another interviewee told me... Not to suggest that they were right/wrong, but what has everyone else heard?
Last edited:
So how much are we thinking the MMI is weighted here? I absolutely bombed mine and need some false reassurance from internet strangers.
I've heard a lot of people say they think they failed an interview and then were offered admission!
I think the only way you can fail an MMI is to be dishonest/untrue to yourself. I'm sure you did great Willy38 🙂
They told us the last Monday of February (either all in one day or spread out - they weren't sure yet) in January.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm putting bets on decisions coming out next Friday. Any one want to take the under or over?
I interviewed in September and I am 95% sure Richard Wallace told us we would be getting acceptances as a Valentine's gift. I'm putting my bet way way under and expecting an acceptance last week.
I interviewed in September and I am 95% sure Richard Wallace told us we would be getting acceptances as a Valentine's gift. I'm putting my bet way way under and expecting an acceptance last week.
You guys weren't all accepted last week? I'm sorry.
I know I should've finished eating the boxed lunch they gave us. Bet it was an unofficial MMI station.
What if the MMI was a tour and the tour was the MMI?I know I should've finished eating the boxed lunch they gave us. Bet it was an unofficial MMI station.
What if the MMI was a tour and the tour was the MMI?
I challenge everyone here to have a fantastic weekend and put this decision from your mind. On Monday, chaos begins. Til then, we enjoy the lack of suspense and life-changing news.
A couple pages ago someone posted the dates that decisions have come out for the past several years, and all of them were at least several days into March. So I'm personally not waiting to freak out until then.
A couple pages ago someone posted the dates that decisions have come out for the past several years, and all of them were at least several days into March. So I'm personally not waiting to freak out until then.
Completely fair. But its worth mentioning that they switched to an email-only decision process this year (instead of a phone call)... So I will stand by the neuroticism that has gotten me this far and refresh my email every 2 minutes come Monday morning... You know, for consistency purposes.
Keep it going. I got my II via email right as I refreshed so I'm going to keep my system going. Maybe I should refresh my email at the same time in the same diner on Monday? 😉Completely fair. But its worth mentioning that they switched to an email-only decision process this year (instead of a phone call)... So I will stand by the neuroticism that has gotten me this far and refresh my email every 2 minutes come Monday morning... You know, for consistency purposes.
What if the MMI was a tour and the tour was the MMI?
Seriously though. In the initial interview invite was buried this sentence:
Arriving on time and conducting yourself in a professional and courteous manner is always recommended as well as you will be evaluated not only during the scenarios themselves but throughout the day as you interact with your fellow interviewees as well as members of the Duke community.
Boy was I self-conscious that whole day. I even made sure to wash my hands in the bathroom extra thoroughly, just in case that guy at the sink next to me was watching and evaluating. Ha ha.
My student host told me something along these lines as well, and when I asked the M3 during our interview day Q&A she said that was absolutely not the case, i.e. you can't get disqualified from consideration just by performing in the bottom half of your interview group or anything.I think they use the MMI scores to determine who makes it to the Admissions Committee's debate...take that for what its worth!
A couple pages ago someone posted the dates that decisions have come out for the past several years, and all of them were at least several days into March. So I'm personally not waiting to freak out until then.
Only difference is that this year, the AAMC moved forward the date that we have to be committed to just one school by one week. So, medical schools have moved their decisions up by one week.
ugh what a relief, I did not feel like I did so well, compared to other MMI's I've doneMy student host told me something along these lines as well, and when I asked the M3 during our interview day Q&A she said that was absolutely not the case, i.e. you can't get disqualified from consideration just by performing in the bottom half of your interview group or anything.
Not to be that guy, but wasn't it May 15th before and now its April 30th?Only difference is that this year, the AAMC moved forward the date that we have to be committed to just one school by one week. So, medical schools have moved their decisions up by one week.
Way to be that guy!Not to be that guy, but wasn't it May 15th before and now its April 30th?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where did you see this?"By March 15, 2015, each school or program must have issued a number of offers of acceptance at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class." Is this whats generating the buzz?
Thanks @Willy38! I was just going off what one of the MS1s told me during my interview day, I'm glad someone on here is checking my facts.Not to be that guy, but wasn't it May 15th before and now its April 30th?
yes I sent mine to the admissions officedid you guys send thank you letters?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K