Thanks for posting!! I just have a couple questions.
What is the culture (active? brainy? chill? etc.) like at Duke Med in 3 words?
What was important to you in choosing a med school? / How did you decide on duke ?
If you don't mind me asking, how is fin. aid there ?
Thanks!
Edit: If you have finished/are currently doing clinical rotations, how are the faculty/preceptors? (culture question again) Is your experience pretty hands on ? Do you feel like you are really becoming clinically sound?
I hope that @SpikeWave answers this, too, but I will take a stab at your questions in the meantime.
1. My three words would be: Relaxed, Open, and Efficient
2. I had a unique circumstance so I needed to find a medical school that was willing to work with me as an individual. No other top medical school was willing to work with me like Duke was, and I chose to come here over several other top 10 programs because of flexible and caring Duke is.
Other key factors were:
a) good job prospects for my husband --> The cost of living in Durham is much, much lower than in many cities, but we did not find that salaries decreased proportionally. This means that, for us, every paycheck goes a lot further here.
b) a nice place to live --> We have a nice house here in Durham, something we could have never afforded most places.
c) the outdoors --> I am pretty outdoorsy so Duke is a perfect fit for me. I can run and hike on the trails around campus year round. Yesterday, I spotted a red fox, and a few weeks ago I saw a bald eagle.
d) the people --> This is actually #1. I immediately felt at home here at Duke. This is the kind of place where if you are sick and miss class, your classmates call (yes, on the phone, call) to see if you're OK or need something. When my husband was searching for a job, so many people at Duke and in our community made calls on his behalf and met with him. We were floored at how neighborly and kind everyone was.
My impression is that the financial aid is fair here. I have friends who literally pay nothing and others who take "loans" that will be completely forgiven if they work in North Carolina, which is where they were planning to practice medicine anyway. Duke has a relatively strong program for those who want to practice in the armed services, which also provides a full scholarship. When you consider financial aid from Duke, it's important to remember how low the cost of living is here and that many (most?) students get funding for 3rd year and often a stipend.