2014-2015 Duke University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Missed a call from an unknown number around 6:30 pm... did you guys also get calls from an unknown number?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As an update: My interviewer was very surprised I had not been alerted by the portal. I think he might have accidentally started calling on the wrong day.
By interviewer do you mean general admissions staff? I only really remember one of my interviewers in the MMI. This thread is awesome!

Congrats! I knew you'd get in despite being so negative Nancy about your MMI.
 
I'm confused now.

Maybe they split up who calls who, I would imagine it would be too much to have one person call 100+ people so perhaps they split it up and someone started calling early?
 
If people are getting calls from their specific interviewers and not the general admissions staff, I think it's just the case that some of them are deciding to call tonight (or under the impression that they were supposed to call tonight) and others aren't. No call definitely doesn't already signify a rejection!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Then I guess maybe some people forgot to call?

OR

They're just *starting* to go out today and trickle in throughout the week?
 
So here I am plucking away at my computer at work, when I get ready to take a break and check my phone and see a missed call from a mysterious number that is apparently from Durham, North Carolina. I call back to hear a distinctly Upper Midwestern voice deliver some very, very good news tailored a little bit to convince me to move to the nice, warm South. I very much appreciate the extra effort Duke and still don't really believe it. :cigar:
 
So here I am plucking away at my computer at work, when I get ready to take a break and check my phone and see a missed call from a mysterious number that is apparently from Durham, North Carolina. I call back to hear a distinctly Upper Midwestern voice deliver some very, very good news tailored a little bit to convince me to move to the nice, warm South. I very much appreciate the extra effort Duke and still don't really believe it. :cigar:

Congratulations 🙂 would you be so kind as to share your alphabet region? I'm clinging to this... As I'm at the beginning. Lol.
 
So here I am plucking away at my computer at work, when I get ready to take a break and check my phone and see a missed call from a mysterious number that is apparently from Durham, North Carolina. I call back to hear a distinctly Upper Midwestern voice deliver some very, very good news tailored a little bit to convince me to move to the nice, warm South. I very much appreciate the extra effort Duke and still don't really believe it. :cigar:
Did you miss the call just now or was it earlier? I am still wondering if it is safe to go to bed.
 
For everyone who is about to keel over from anxiety, put your phone on loud and turn on Better Call Saul!
 
I think it's okay to call it a night.

I'm not sure if all the calls were supposed to be made today, I sure hope not but, in any case, it's already 10P and I doubt they'll be calling this late.

Hopefully tomorrow bares better fruits.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I highly doubt any more calls will be made tonight- It's after 10!

I wonder when the next calls will be going out...starting in the morning, or waiting past 5?
 
Honestly, I took my phone to the bathroom... I just prayed they didn't call at that moment
I actually did that for one of the schools and I am very shamed to say that when the phone rang I did not have the basic human decency to wait till I get out to call back and instead answered right away.

Just to be clear I did not get an interview from Duke, I'm just here because of all the exciting commotions
 
This thread has been the most nerve-racking/amusing thing I have seen in a while. It is good to know a lot of us are in the same boat. (Congrats to all the acceptances!!)

So, when do we start stressing about phone calls for today?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This thread has been the most nerve-racking/amusing thing I have seen in a while. It is good to know a lot of us are in the same boat. (Congrats to all the acceptances!!)

So, when do we start stressing about phone calls for today?
Now. Lol
 
Going to channel some John Burroughs today....

Serene, I fold my hands and wait,
Nor care for wind, nor tide, nor sea;
I rave no more 'gainst time or fate,
For lo! my own shall come to me.

I stay my haste, I make delays,
For what avails this eager pace?
I stand amid the eternal ways,
And what is mine shall know my face