2014-2015 Duke University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd rather not say to try and protect a little anonymity. Also, I will probably be withdrawing unless I get $$$ as I just recently got a full ride at UCLA. Congrats to everyone. I loved duke when I visited. Only con is how expensive it is.
You don't need to give us a name, I'm personally just wondering if it was admissions staff vs. an MMI interviewer.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm basing it off of the frequency of last years acceptance posts. I'm assuming (although perhaps incorrectly) that SDN has only increased in sample size.

But you're right! SDN is a small sample size overall. I'm just doing my best to stay positive/not throw up/maybe help others think positively.
 
So here I am plucking away at my computer at work, when I get ready to take a break and check my phone and see a missed call from a mysterious number that is apparently from Durham, North Carolina. I call back to hear a distinctly Upper Midwestern voice deliver some very, very good news tailored a little bit to convince me to move to the nice, warm South. I very much appreciate the extra effort Duke and still don't really believe it. :cigar:
when did you interview?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm basing it off of the frequency of last years acceptance posts. I'm assuming (although perhaps incorrectly) that SDN has only increased in sample size.

But you're right! SDN is a small sample size overall. I'm just doing my best to stay positive/not throw up/maybe help others think positively.

I keep thinking they will call or write when they have something to say. That works for nearly an hour at a crack right now.
I'm basing it off of the frequency of last years acceptance posts. I'm assuming (although perhaps incorrectly) that SDN has only increased in sample size.

But you're right! SDN is a small sample size overall. I'm just doing my best to stay positive/not throw up/maybe help others think positively.


I'd think SDN is sample biased to accepted students compared to most any generally visible collection.
 
Hi guys! Long-time lurker here, accepted via phone call yesterday afternoon by Dr. Yee. Does anyone know if Duke offers any merit based scholarships? I'd absolutely love to go here but it's hard to justify the cost when I've gotten significant merit aid at another great school. I'm just wondering if I have a shot at some scholarship $$$ or if it's hopeless 🙁
 
Hi guys! Long-time lurker here, accepted via phone call yesterday afternoon by Dr. Yee. Does anyone know if Duke offers any merit based scholarships? I'd absolutely love to go here but it's hard to justify the cost when I've gotten significant merit aid at another great school. I'm just wondering if I have a shot at some scholarship $$$ or if it's hopeless 🙁
Congrats!!
 
Hi guys! Long-time lurker here, accepted via phone call yesterday afternoon by Dr. Yee. Does anyone know if Duke offers any merit based scholarships? I'd absolutely love to go here but it's hard to justify the cost when I've gotten significant merit aid at another great school. I'm just wondering if I have a shot at some scholarship $$$ or if it's hopeless 🙁

I think they offer ~10 full ride merits.
 
Hi guys! Long-time lurker here, accepted via phone call yesterday afternoon by Dr. Yee. Does anyone know if Duke offers any merit based scholarships? I'd absolutely love to go here but it's hard to justify the cost when I've gotten significant merit aid at another great school. I'm just wondering if I have a shot at some scholarship $$$ or if it's hopeless 🙁
when did you interview?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is a wild theory- but maybe they only called they people they realllllllllllllllllly want? Aka the ones they're gonna offer scholarships to?
 
This is a wild theory- but maybe they only called they people they realllllllllllllllllly want? Aka the ones they're gonna offer scholarships to?

I think they probably called everyone. I know it doesn't seem like many people on SDN were accepted but they have such a small class it could have worked out though. I think they will probably have waitlists out soon. That will be when we know they've stopped for sure.
 
I did notice the average MCAT/ typical schools they were already accepted to for the accepted people... Wowza.
 
Last edited:
This is a wild theory- but maybe they only called they people they realllllllllllllllllly want? Aka the ones they're gonna offer scholarships to?
last years thread it did seem like some people got calls and some people got emails...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad