-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Duke University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
You're posing as a sentry for the rest of us. A worthwhile day.Just laying in bed, watching the snow, hoping for classes to be cancelled...and neurotically refreshing my email, the online portal, and SDN every 30 seconds 🙂
Today will not be a productive one
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have there been any calls today? My morning job was cancelled so I have been staring at my phone for the last half hour hoping for some kind of news either on here or from Duke.
For once I'm glad I don't get cell service at work so I can stop obsessing over the call - my answering machine message gives my work number as where to reach me, but I wouldn't necessarily expect the adcom to call it. Maybe I'll actually get some work done today (...who am I kidding, I'll just be refreshing my email and SDN instead of checking my phone).
I'm thinking the people who call are probably working all day in the hospital and what not and won't start calling until evening. I don't know anything...just speculation. I'm freaking out. I just really don't think I'm going to get in. But I just want to know!
Edit: it's comforting to know others are just sitting on sdn too.... Just got 2 likes after like 2 secs of posting...haha I love it!
Edit: it's comforting to know others are just sitting on sdn too.... Just got 2 likes after like 2 secs of posting...haha I love it!
D
deleted643377
I was thinking that the people who called last night had been working during the day and maybe didn't know when the rest of the adcom had decided to release decisions? I work nights and am REALLY hoping that's not when they will make the majority of the callsI'm thinking the people who call are probably working all day in the hospital and what not and won't start calling until evening. I don't know anything...just speculation. I'm freaking out. I just really don't think I'm going to get in. But I just want to know!
Edit: it's comforting to know others are just sitting on sdn too.... Just got 2 likes after like 2 secs of posting...haha I love it!
I work nights as well. I'm just asking my boss at the start of my shift if I could please take a call if I happen get one.I was thinking that the people who called last night had been working during the day and maybe didn't know when the rest of the adcom had decided to release decisions? I work nights and am REALLY hoping that's not when they will make the majority of the calls
What do you guys do? I'm just here trying to get through my day job without being too distracted.I work nights as well. I'm just asking my boss at the start of my shift if I could please take a call if I happen get one.
D
deleted643377
Server with a catering company....so basically a waiter without guaranteed hours. But at the event tonight I get to wear a tux, so I've got that going for me, which is niceWhat do you guys do? I'm just here trying to get through my day job without being too distracted.
I'm an ER medical scribe. I'm lucky that I work for a physician because if I make it clear that it's for a call about med school, I'm sure they would understand.
clinical research coordinator - no clinic or OR cases today so I'm at a computer...refreshing SDN...What do you guys do? I'm just here trying to get through my day job without being too distracted.
Accepted via a heartwarming and charming phone call this afternoon.
Can. not. wait. for second look weekend.
EDIT: No portal update yet!
Can. not. wait. for second look weekend.
EDIT: No portal update yet!
Congratulations!!!!!!Accepted via a heartwarming and charming phone call this afternoon.
Can. not. wait. for second look weekend.
EDIT: No portal update yet!
Edit: Last name early, middle, or end of alphabet? Interview date?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats!!!!Accepted via a heartwarming and charming phone call this afternoon.
Can. not. wait. for second look weekend.
EDIT: No portal update yet!
Accepted via a heartwarming and charming phone call this afternoon.
Can. not. wait. for second look weekend.
EDIT: No portal update yet!
Congratulations @onceawolverine! Do you mind if I ask what time you got a call?
Thanks everyone!
Interview date: early september.
Last name roughly in the middle I guess? Maybe 40th percentile?Congratulations!!!!!!
Edit: Last name early, middle, or end of alphabet? Interview date?
Interview date: early september.
Between 12 and 2pm 😛Congratulations @onceawolverine! Do you mind if I ask what time you got a call?
I was SO EXCITED when I got a phone call a couple minutes ago! 🙂
And SO DISAPPOINTED when it was a misdial for someone named Kim. 🙁
And SO DISAPPOINTED when it was a misdial for someone named Kim. 🙁
ESPECIALLY weird of them to specifically say that 1) decisions aren't coming out today (meaning yesterday/Monday) and that 2) no decisions are coming out by phone for privacy reasons, when both of those things are obviously false...I feel like this year they are handling acceptances worse than last year. I would prefer everyone get an email all in the same day over all this anticipation of a phone call that could happen any day.
I declare a conspiracy in which a band of misfit MMI interviewers are calling random students and tricking them into thinking they've been accepted. 😉
FYI I agree with everyone: I really liked receiving a phone call, but I wish the portal didn't explicitly say not to expect phone calls.
I'd be so damn angry.I declare a conspiracy in which a band of misfit MMI interviewers are calling random students and tricking them into thinking they've been accepted. 😉
Thanks everyone!
Last name roughly in the middle I guess? Maybe 40th percentile?
Interview date: early september.
Between 12 and 2pm 😛
Do you know who called you?
HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WAS ME I COULD HAVE BEEN WEARING A MASKFrom last years thread, it looks like people were accepted by a phone call OR an email?
...
Sorry I just finished a cup of coffee in the SLC so I could regain all the focus that DukeMed just stole from me and study for an upcoming exam, so I might have gotten a little carried away there 😛 Anyway, it's a pleasure to sort-of-meet you, and I'm crossing my fingers for for you!
@innov8
I believe I was at the same meeting!
I believe I was at the same meeting!
Too late! I saw the original!From last years thread, it looks like people were accepted by a phone call OR an email?
Also, congrats onceawolverine! Super excited to see a fellow wolverine accepted to DukeMed! 🙂
(Edited for onceawolverine's privacy.)
Too late! I saw the original!
Lmao oh no!!! Are you an adcom? I ruin everything.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When life gives you potatoes, make mashed potatoes. Or something like that.
Did you miss the call just now or was it earlier? I am still wondering if it is safe to go to bed.
Sorry I did not get to your question yesterday! I was called around 7:45pm central and called back about half an hour later, which would have been around 9:15pm in Durham, so they were going fairly late. No idea if I was the first or last person called or anything like that.
I agree but at the same time, not all of the emails went out at the same time last year and were instead dispersed throughout the day. It was probably equally nerve wracking. I think the calls are a nice personal touch, but as others have said, I wish they had not specifically said that they wouldn't. Would have avoided that initial panic...I feel like this year they are handling acceptances worse than last year. I would prefer everyone get an email all in the same day over all this anticipation of a phone call that could happen any day.
Wait....how do they have our phone numbers?
AMCAS Primary app
first letter of last name?Accepted about half an hour ago via phone call!
Do you know who called you?Accepted about half an hour ago via phone call!
D
deleted643377
My BBC app vibrates my phone much like a phone call....I just had a heart attack. But, in other news, Obama has vetoed the Keystone Pipeline
I'd rather not say to try and protect a little anonymity. Also, I will probably be withdrawing unless I get $$$ as I just recently got a full ride at UCLA. Congrats to everyone. I loved duke when I visited. Only con is how expensive it is.Do you know who called you?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
again rather not say but it seemed from my phone conversation that they are not calling in any predictable order.first letter of last name?
no@soccerusa
Are you PCLT?
Per last year's thread it looks like some people were notified via email that they were accepted, then a couple days later waitlists/rejections came out. Who knows if that's how our year is going to work out.so do we think everyone who gets accepted gets a call??
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K