Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Duke University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Congrats! Did your status ever change on the online dashboard?
I didn't know that they had an MMI format. Looks like more and more schools are adopting it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is the earliest date available to interview?
September 8th. They interview on Mondays and Thursdays.
Do they send a complete email?Complete! That felt so good.
I hope not. Im a duke alum tooYou said she was a Duke UG, it's possible they'd consider those first. She wasn't necessarily lying.
Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile
Nope, I didn't receive an email. Under Application Status it says: "Your supplemental application has been completed. Your application is now being reviewed by a set of independent screeners on our admissions committee."Do they send a complete email?
II! So excited. (Duke UG)
Congrats!! Did you just get an interview invite now?II! So excited. (Duke UG)
Yup, just now. Was surprised to get one on a Saturday.Congrats!! Did you just get an interview invite now?
Now that's a great way to start your weekend! Congrats again!!Yup, just now. Was surprised to get one on a Saturday.
I would love to get an interview invite here

Congrats! When were you complete?II! So excited. (Duke UG)
Thanks!! 7/13.Congrats! When were you complete?
II! So excited. (Duke UG)
Congratulations!!!
Posted using SDN Mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone attempted to schedule a student host for their interview? If so, were you at all concerned that the form said "2013-2014 Student Host Request," and not "2014-2015?"
Finally submitted the secondary after working on it for a month. I'd love to attend here, but I think I might have just thrown away $85 and many hours of essay work. Good luck, all.
II! Yes!!!
II this morning. Somewhat surprising given my not-extensive research background. Excited but cautious about ultra-accelerated curriculum. Also cautious about living in a small town in the sorta-South. Pleased that my grueling secondary-essays passed duke's reviewers.
Congrats to all with IIs from Duke! What an amazing school!
when were you guys complete? (also just to make sure, duke extends II's without reading LORs right, as in they will review your app for II consideration if your LORs aren't in?)
when were you guys complete? (also just to make sure, duke extends II's without reading LORs right, as in they will review your app for II consideration if your LORs aren't in?)
I submitted and paid for the Duke secondary on 7/14
I don't remember the date, but I think I submitted the secondary around 7/14. My letters weren't received until 7/21.
II just now. Letters not in.
II about an hour ago!!! First one for me, complete 7/25.
Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile
Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile
Congrats 🙂II about an hour ago!!! First one for me, complete 7/25.
Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile
when were you complete?II about an hour ago!!! First one for me, complete 7/25.
Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile
Is anybody else scheduling an interview for the 18th?
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
when were you complete?
Lol...his post says he was complete 7/25...
II! IS, reapp to Duke (but didn't complete secondary 1st time).
for those wondering and still completing secondaries...I wrote 3 paragraphs/essay and did not complete the optional essay. My strategy was to write just enough to concisely and completely answer the questions in all reasonable facets.
for those wondering and still completing secondaries...I wrote 3 paragraphs/essay and did not complete the optional essay. My strategy was to write just enough to concisely and completely answer the questions in all reasonable facets.
Congrats! When were you complete?
mid July.
II TODAY! SO EXCITED! Dream school 🙂
first rule of scientific truth: correlation=causation.It seems like having a penguin avatar increases chances of getting an II...
congrats! Penguin or whatever other probable animals you are.II TODAY! SO EXCITED! Dream school 🙂
I really need to get on Duke, I've had it for over a month and now II's are flying out :x
Shoot... I definitely picked the wrong animal.It seems like having a penguin avatar increases chances of getting an II...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They sent me an email, but the portal was also updated.Sorry if this was covered, but are IIs sent out by email or is the status on the secondary updated? It would be great to not have to neurotically check another school's portal 😛
Sorry if this was covered, but are IIs sent out by email or is the status on the secondary updated? It would be great to not have to neurotically check another school's portal 😛
They sent me an email, but the portal was also updated.
I would still check the portal from time to time. A friend of mine last year didnt realize she had a Duke Interview until late (he says that he never received an email). He was fit into the last interview date, and believe it had a negative impact on his application. Take that with a pinch of salt- but he did receive multiple acceptances at top 10 schools other than Duke, so he may be right (especially since he had graduated a year from Duke undergrad 2 years before he applied)
Does anybody know if it negatively impacts you if you pick an interview date that's later? I currently have six interviews in five weeks, and while i'm INCREDIBLY grateful, I'm starting to get overwhelmed. If a school sends me an interview in August, and I pick an interview date in october, am I setting myself back?I would still check the portal from time to time. A friend of mine last year didnt realize she had a Duke Interview until late (he says that he never received an email). He was fit into the last interview date, and believe it had a negative impact on his application. Take that with a pinch of salt- but he did receive multiple acceptances at top 10 schools other than Duke, so he may be right (especially since he had graduated a year from Duke undergrad 2 years before he applied)
Thanks! I'm also quite possibly a turtle. But it didn't have the same ring as a username 🙂congrats! Penguin or whatever other probable animals you are.
That's awesome! Congrats. I would say this early in the cycle it shouldn't be a significant set back. That being said, unless a school is not rolling admissions, the earlier the better. I would schedule your reach schools as early as possible, but don't worry about a couple months on schools you are "above average" at.Does anybody know if it negatively impacts you if you pick an interview date that's later? I currently have six interviews in five weeks, and while i'm INCREDIBLY grateful, I'm starting to get overwhelmed. If a school sends me an interview in August, and I pick an interview date in october, am I setting myself back?
It won't matter at all since Duke is non-rolling.Does anybody know if it negatively impacts you if you pick an interview date that's later? I currently have six interviews in five weeks, and while i'm INCREDIBLY grateful, I'm starting to get overwhelmed. If a school sends me an interview in August, and I pick an interview date in october, am I setting myself back?
Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K