2014-2015 Florida Atlantic University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how long they interview until? Like when will the last interview invitations be sent out? I still haven't heard anything back after submitting my secondary

Members don't see this ad.

They told us at my interview day (3/2) we were the last group. Sorry.

Reactions: 1 user
They told us at my interview day (3/2) we were the last group. Sorry.
Thank you for letting me know! I was under the impression that they would interview through April since their secondary deadline was so late.. But that's ok. I guess I may have been mistaken

Members don't see this ad :)
Would not attending the second look hurt my chances of getting off the waitlist? I already have a national competition that day and won't be able to make it unfortunately

Does anybody know when we will be receiving our financial aid award letters?

Reactions: 1 users
Got the Second Look invitation a few days back! Is anyone bringing their family there? The invitation was a bit vague and I'm not sure whether to bring them or not

Alternate list today! Interviewed at the end of February, IS, LizzyM<70

just got an email today saying i was placed on the “AcceptedWait List”. does anyone know what this means?

just got an email today saying i was placed on the “AcceptedWait List”. does anyone know what this means?
It means you're at the top of the alternate list and basically guaranteed to get in. For the past few years, everyone on the Accepted Wait List has ultimately been offered a spot.

Congratulations! :soexcited:

It means you're at the top of the alternate list and basically guaranteed to get in. For the past few years, everyone on the Accepted Wait List has ultimately been offered a spot.

Congratulations! :soexcited:
If you're on the alternate list and you get invited to second look does that mean you are pretty much guaranteed to get in?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was placed on the alternate list in January, but unfortunately I did not receive an invite to second look :(. Do you think that I still have a chance to get an acceptance from FAU?

If you're on the alternate list and you get invited to second look does that mean you are pretty much guaranteed to get in?
Does everyone's alternate list letter say: Also, please save the date for our “Welcome Back/Second Look Day” scheduled for Saturday, April 11th; details will follow in mid-March.?

Mine (obviously) does but I haven't recieved an invite. Anyone know anything about this?
Yeah mine had an invite to 2nd look too! Also I don't think anything is guaranteed until you are actually in. In my opinion it just means that you are high on the wait list, but how much the wait list will move in such a record-breaking year is a question we will all have to wait to find out!

Yeah mine had an invite to 2nd look too! Also I don't think anything is guaranteed until you are actually in. In my opinion it just means that you are high on the wait list, but how much the wait list will move in such a record-breaking year is a question we will all have to wait to find out!

I'm not sure that the record breaking year of applications will mean anything for admissions for those who have had interviews. FAU still interviews about the same number of applicants as previous years (receiving an Interview Invite is by far the biggest obstacle if there is an increase in applicants), and FAU is not necessarily more popular than other schools bc of the increase in apps (other FL schools have also received more applications this year than previous years). My opinion is: if it is more competitive to gain admissions to FAU Med this year, it will only be slightly harder.

Just my positive 2 cents!

Reactions: 2 users
I got alternate wait list....but yes I was invited to the second look. I hope that means I have a good chance.

I got alternate wait list....but yes I was invited to the second look. I hope that means I have a good chance.

Did your second look invite come serparately or was it part of your alternate list email?

On that note, they just posted the full match list! http://med.fau.edu/pdfs/Match Posterv4.pdf
Doesn't include specialties though...

Specialties are:
Anesthesiology (2) - Dartmouth, Ohio State
Emergency Medicine (9) - Arkansas-Little Rock, Case Western, Missouri-KC, Rochester, UF, UF-Jax, UT-Austin (2), UT-Houston
Family Medicine (1) - UF
Internal Medicine (10) - Dartmouth, FAU, Miami/Holy Cross, Miami/Jackson, Miami/JFK, USF (2), UT-Houston, VCU, Wake Forest
Med-Peds (1) - Louisville
Neurosurgery (1) - SUNY Upstate
Neurology (1) - WashU
OBGYN (4) - FSU, Louisville, Morristown Memorial, Orlando Health
ENT (1) - Einstein/Montefiore
Pathology (2) - UAB, Utah
Pediatrics (8) - Children's National, Einstein/Montefiore, Loma Linda, Mass Gen, Miami Children's, UF (2), USF
Psychiatry (2) - Miami/Jackson, UF
Rad Onc (1) - Washington
Radiology (7) - Einstein/Montefiore, Mayo FL, Miami/Jackson, Staten Island, Tufts, Wake Forest, Yale
Surgery-Prelim (2) - Brown, UT-SW

We're happy with the match results although it's undeniable that we were held back by being a new school. However, I expect next years class to match even better than ours and I envision that trend continuing as the FAU COM brand gains more national name recognition.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Specialties are:
Anesthesiology (2) ...

We're happy with the match results although it's undeniable that we were held back by being a new school. However, I expect next years class to match even better than ours and I envision that trend continuing as the FAU COM brand gains more national name recognition.

Thank you so much for adding this! This is an awesome match for the first class. The match was my last real reservation about the school, now I am completely psyched to be there in the fall.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys! If you're accepted to our awesome COM, the FAU med class of 2019 page is up! If you search for it on FB it should pop up

Accepted off the waitlist!! IS, Interviewed earlier this year, wait listed a few weeks ago, LizzyM<70! :soexcited:

Reactions: 12 users
Currently on the Alternate list, got an invite to the Second Look a few weeks back though! This is a unique situation because my understanding is that a lot of other schools usually have just the accepted students invited to the second look day so I've been trying to find information on how to prepare but that hasn't been too successful lol. Let's see how this weekend goes! Really excited to visit this beautiful city and med school again :)

Currently on the Alternate list, got an invite to the Second Look a few weeks back though! This is a unique situation because my understanding is that a lot of other schools usually have just the accepted students invited to the second look day so I've been trying to find information on how to prepare but that hasn't been too successful lol. Let's see how this weekend goes! Really excited to visit this beautiful city and med school again :)

I'm sure y'all figured it out but just to clarify, I'm trying to "prepare" because I need to still get in lol. Any tips for all of us attending this weekend that are not accepted about how to make a lasting, positive impression? I'm planning on just showing a lot of interest in the school (because I actually really like the program and the values) and being social. No kiss ass behavior, just some good ol' genuine interest and positive vibes. Let me know if there's anything specific you guys think I can offer! Thanks :)

How was the second look day? Wasn't able to make it unfortunately.

How was the second look day? Wasn't able to make it unfortunately.

Wondering the same for the same reason. Also did they shed any light on financial aid award letters and when we can expect to receive them?

Wondering the same for the same reason. Also did they shed any light on financial aid award letters and when we can expect to receive them?
They said they had just begun having the scholarship committee meeting weekly to go over the applications. They said if you missed the priority app date to just submit as soon as you can (there's 5 essays to write). Not sure what the turnover is once you submit (I'll let ya know when I get minez)

Overall, second look was pretty good! I was particularly drawn to how open they allowed the M1-4's to be about things they liked/didn't like about the university, and how their feedback has allowed the program to change over the years. Also, that Boca hospital is a beauty.

After a lot of thought, I gave up my seat here. Hope it goes to someone here who is waiting!! Good luck!

Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist recently?

Does anyone know if they re-review waitlisted applicants? Or do they just pull applicants off of the waitlist based on their numerical ranking? I'm a little surprised there hasn't been much movement yet.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they re-review waitlisted applicants? Or do they just pull applicants off of the waitlist based on their numerical ranking? I'm a little surprised there hasn't been much movement yet.

I wouldn't be too surprised. All the movement will come on and shortly after 4/30. Plus this school only has 64 seats.

Not sure about how they pull from the WL

i think Ms. Monfort said on the interview day that they just pull from the wait list based on the numerical ranking.

I was accepted off the alternate list this morning!! Interviewed back in October, alternate list since November. I did attend second look, though that probably had no effect.

Reactions: 4 users
I was accepted off the alternate list this morning!! Interviewed back in October, alternate list since November. I did attend second look, though that probably had no effect.

Congrats!

I think it's crazy that you went to second look at a school you hadn't been accepted to though!

Congrats!

I think it's crazy that you went to second look at a school you hadn't been accepted to though!
Thank you! Yes it was quite bizarre to have been invited to second look as a waitlisted applicant but the school goes through such heavy waitlist movement that it makes sense. I estimated that out of the roughly 75 attendees at second look, only 5-10 were actually accepted students.

Does anyone remember what they said their average Step 1 score was?

After a ton of thinking, I withdrew from here today. Extremely tough decision! Good luck everyone!