2014-2015 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Irish Luck: I parked in the 925 Walnut street garage and paid $26 for overnight parking since I arrived the night before the interview. It seems expensive, but I stayed with a student (for free) and the garage was super convenient so it was worth it for me!

@pinkPEACE: Contrary to what stated above, my interview focused solely on my academics and extracurriculars, with a strong emphasis on extracurricular activities related to medicine/health. Of course, every applicant's experience will vary based on his/her interviewer.
 
Hey, @Doctor Strange, quick question for you:
I was thrilled to be accepted last week! Jeff is one of my top choices and I will most likely attend. However, I haven't received the acceptance letter in the mail yet. Do you know if there is a way to pay the accepted student deposit online, or do you have to send it by snail mail? Also, is there a deadline for paying the deposit?
Thanks so much for all your help throughout the whole process!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How long after being complete should we wait to send an update letter or letter of interest?

Whoops, just realized I asked this question in June in Doctor Strange's thread. His response:

Letters of interest should probably be saved for the event that you 1) have been placed on the high priority waitlist or 2) have not received an interview invitation by the time January rolls around.
​
Thanks again!
 
Hey, @Doctor Strange, quick question for you:
I was thrilled to be accepted last week! Jeff is one of my top choices and I will most likely attend. However, I haven't received the acceptance letter in the mail yet. Do you know if there is a way to pay the accepted student deposit online, or do you have to send it by snail mail? Also, is there a deadline for paying the deposit?
Thanks so much for all your help throughout the whole process!
If I recall correctly, you will be receiving an official notification of acceptance by snail mail in the near future, which will give you instructions on how to submit the deposit. I believe that they only accept mailed-in checks, but I'm honestly not 100% sure... just pretty sure. Also, I can't really remember how long they give you to make a decision, but I think all deposits are refundable if you withdraw before the AAMC deadline. I would just wait for the official letter and then call the admissions office if you still have questions.
 
If I recall correctly, you will be receiving an official notification of acceptance by snail mail in the near future, which will give you instructions on how to submit the deposit. I believe that they only accept mailed-in checks, but I'm honestly not 100% sure... just pretty sure. Also, I can't really remember how long they give you to make a decision, but I think all deposits are refundable if you withdraw before the AAMC deadline. I would just wait for the official letter and then call the admissions office if you still have questions.

Ok, thanks for clarifying! Again, I appreciate all your great advice. I had a great experience at interview day and I'm really looking forward to taking the next steps!
 
About the deposit: I submitted my acknowledgement card and $100 deposit a few weeks ago and received a confirmation email today. It ended with "See you on matriculation day!" Are they just encouraging me to attend or did I accidentally commit to the school?? Jefferson is high on my list but it's early and I'm still waiting to hear from other schools.
 
About the deposit: I submitted my acknowledgement card and $100 deposit a few weeks ago and received a confirmation email today. It ended with "See you on matriculation day!" Are they just encouraging me to attend or did I accidentally commit to the school?? Jefferson is high on my list but it's early and I'm still waiting to hear from other schools.
No, you definitely did not commit yourself.
 
Does anyone know when they will start giving out decisions for those who interviewed on 10/29? I thought they said that some of us would find out within a week, but I might be making that up. I remember thinking that it was a really fast turnaround time, though.
 
Does anyone know when they will start giving out decisions for those who interviewed on 10/29? I thought they said that some of us would find out within a week, but I might be making that up. I remember thinking that it was a really fast turnaround time, though.
Usually a week after, but some will take up to five weeks depending on your interviewer's schedule and when they make it to the committee meeting. They will let you know as soon as a decision is made. Acceptances are by phone call, and everything else is by email. Decisions usually come out on Wednesday.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Usually a week after, but some will take up to five weeks depending on your interviewer's schedule and when they make it to the committee meeting. They will let you know as soon as a decision is made. Acceptances are by phone call, and everything else is by email. Decisions usually come out on Wednesday.
It has been 5 weeks for me. Is the five weeks thing a maximum or a general limit you noticed? Would you recommend calling at any point?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So would it be appropriate to address Dean Callahan in my letter of interest sent to that email?

Nobody signed my email when I sent it. I'd just go with "to whom it may concern" or "Dear SKMC Admissions Committee" since I've had multiple people answer me from that address in the past.
 
High priority wait list... i'm a little bummed, i really loved this school. Anyone have any idea if the waitlist moves ?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To those of you that sent in pre-ii updates, how did you format it. I'm planning on sending an update/in the area combination letter since there seems to have been some success with them. Thanks!