2014-2015 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Decision pending is their hold status fyi.

I don't think it's quite accurate to call it a hold status, because it could mean anything from your application hasn't be read yet, to hold/put aside for later review, to rejection (mostly the first two, though). It stays the same the entire season unless you get an interview. Don't try to read between the lines, it's just the same status all people have until they get a interview or are rejected at the end of the season.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think it's quite accurate to call it a hold status, because it could mean anything from your application hasn't be read yet, to hold/put aside for later review, to rejection (mostly the first two, though). It stays the same the entire season unless you get an interview. Don't try to read between the lines, it's just the same status all people have until they get a interview or are rejected at the end of the season.

No, it's not per say. It's just what everybody gets after their application has been submitted.

So what you're both saying is that it's effectively a hold status, i.e. an interim status where you're in limbo as in 'decision pending' 3+ months after secondary submission. A hold doesn't mean your app won't ever get looked at again though!
 
So what you're both saying is that it's effectively a hold status, i.e. an interim status where you're in limbo as in 'decision pending' 3+ months after secondary submission. A hold doesn't mean your app won't ever get looked at again though!

Exactly. Jeff continually reviews and re-reviews apps and people can get interviews at ANY time - from 1 week post-submission to 6+ months later.
 
Don't mind me. I'm just sad that I'm not getting any lovin' from the philly schools. My parents live in the burbs and there are many compelling family reasons which make staying near home really important to me. Besides, it's no fun being in limbo for 3+ months. I guess applying mid august put me smack dab in the bulk of the cycle, though I'm pretty sure my app has been looked at by now. Seems like people from july are still getting II's so it's all good.

I just sent an update letter last week, so hopefully they'll like my app on this run through.
 
Don't mind me. I'm just sad that I'm not getting any lovin' from the philly schools. My parents live in the burbs and there are many compelling family reasons which make staying near home really important to me. Besides, it's no fun being in limbo for 3+ months. I guess applying mid august put me smack dab in the bulk of the cycle, though I'm pretty sure my app has been looked at by now. Seems like people from july are still getting II's so it's all good.

I just sent an update letter last week, so hopefully they'll like my app on this run through.
What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?
 
Oh. Now I feel dumb. All this time I was thinking they must not be up to my complete date yet! Wishful thinking perhaps?

That's possible as well. It's a 'catch all' status.
I would look through this thread and see when people with interviews were complete. It's possible that they're past you, though applications don't always go in order depending on reviewers and such.
 
Can anyone who has interviewed here say how long it took for them to hear whether they were accepted? They told us it would be 3 weeks max and it's now been 4 weeks since my interview. The Dean told me that my faculty interviewer doesn't always attend the admission review meetings, which would delay my review, but I thought it should still happen within 3 weeks. Maybe I'm just becoming another neurotic applicant but I'm getting anxious to hear back! Just would like to gauge whether its necessary to contact them or if I should just wait.
 
Can anyone who has interviewed here say how long it took for them to hear whether they were accepted? They told us it would be 3 weeks max and it's now been 4 weeks since my interview. The Dean told me that my faculty interviewer doesn't always attend the admission review meetings, which would delay my review, but I thought it should still happen within 3 weeks. Maybe I'm just becoming another neurotic applicant but I'm getting anxious to hear back! Just would like to gauge whether its necessary to contact them or if I should just wait.
It's usually one to two weeks, but it can take as long as five. I heard back in five weeks, as my interviewer was a trauma surgeon and could not make the meetings frequently. When I got the acceptance call, I was apologized to profusely for the "delay." Don't expect this courtesy from other schools; almost everywhere else took 8-14 weeks for me to hear back.
 
It's usually one to two weeks, but it can take as long as five. I heard back in five weeks, as my interviewer was a trauma surgeon and could not make the meetings frequently. When I got the acceptance call, I was apologized to profusely for the "delay." Don't expect this courtesy from other schools; almost everywhere else took 8-14 weeks for me to hear back.

Can you have your peepz call my peepz with a II?

<3 Jefferson <3
 
Can you have your peepz call my peepz with a II?

<3 Jefferson <3
I can do many things, but that is one that is not within my power.

Jefferson receives upwards of 11,000 applications each year and is only able to offer roughly 800 interview spots. If you are truly interested in Jefferson, it is vital that you continue to express your interest in the school throughout the cycle and remain patient. Give specific examples about why you like Jefferson and, more importantly, why you think you would be a good fit. We interview all the way through April. I know people in my class who interviewed on the very last day and were accepted the following week. There is hope but do keep in mind the numbers.

This is a long process that will eat you alive if you become neurotic about it, especially this early in the game. Good luck, and please let me know if you have any additional questions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can do many things, but that is one that is not within my power.

Jefferson receives upwards of 11,000 applications each year and is only able to offer roughly 800 interview spots. If you are truly interested in Jefferson, it is vital that you continue to express your interest in the school throughout the cycle and remain patient. Give specific examples about why you like Jefferson and, more importantly, why you think you would be a good fit. We interview all the way through April. I know people in my class who interviewed on the very last day and were accepted the following week. There is hope but do keep in mind the numbers.

This is a long process that will eat you alive if you become neurotic about it, especially this early in the game. Good luck, and please let me know if you have any additional questions.

I was trying to be a little humorous because of how the last page was going, but I recently sent an update letter that was pretty cookie cutter i.e. it was an update that wasn't directed to any particular institution. I'm going to do as you suggest in the future, especially as I get more things to update schools about.

Thanks for being a good sport!
 
I hope all those who came today enjoyed it!

And to echo Dr. Strange, the wait can be annoying, especially when you hear stories about how people heard only 2 or 3 weeks after. I heard back 4 weeks after my interview. It's hard to guess, but trust me: 5 weeks turnaround is AMAZING compared to many schools.
 
I can do many things, but that is one that is not within my power.

Jefferson receives upwards of 11,000 applications each year and is only able to offer roughly 800 interview spots. If you are truly interested in Jefferson, it is vital that you continue to express your interest in the school throughout the cycle and remain patient. Give specific examples about why you like Jefferson and, more importantly, why you think you would be a good fit. We interview all the way through April. I know people in my class who interviewed on the very last day and were accepted the following week. There is hope but do keep in mind the numbers.

This is a long process that will eat you alive if you become neurotic about it, especially this early in the game. Good luck, and please let me know if you have any additional questions.

I wrote Jefferson an update & letter of interest email 2 months back, so would it be pointless to write another letter of interest? I don't have anything to update on and I really poured my interests well in the secondary (I wrote "why jefferson" and used almost all the characters) and in my update letter.
 
I wrote Jefferson an update & letter of interest email 2 months back, so would it be pointless to write another letter of interest? I don't have anything to update on and I really poured my interests well in the secondary (I wrote "why jefferson" and used almost all the characters) and in my update letter.
If you are truly interested in Jefferson, then I think it is worth sending another letter of interest even if you don't have anything significant to update. Concisely state that you have been continuing your studies, activities, etc. and then go into the "I'm still very interested in SKMC because..." and "I think I would be a good fit because..." Try to use specific examples of things you like and do the same for why your particular personality and skill set would allow you to thrive not only at this school but also in this community.
 
Ugh, I should have personalized my update letter a bit more. I thought it was supposed to be a cookie cutter letter that skipped the fluff and just gave an update and to save the niceties for post interviews.

BLARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Well guys, here's my story. Sent an update 10/24, cc'd Dr. Callahan. On 10/30 I got a call that an interview slot was open for 11/5. Needless to say I took it but I just got waitlisted. I'm bummed but I wanted to share my experience because I think the update really did the trick with getting me the ii. I received a personal reply from Dr. Callahan. I'll be sticking with the waitlist to see what happens but definitely send those updates guys.
 
Well guys, here's my story. Sent an update 10/24, cc'd Dr. Callahan. On 10/30 I got a call that an interview slot was open for 11/5. Needless to say I took it but I just got waitlisted. I'm bummed but I wanted to share my experience because I think the update really did the trick with getting me the ii. I received a personal reply from Dr. Callahan. I'll be sticking with the waitlist to see what happens but definitely send those updates guys.

I second this. Sent in an update (I had legitimate updates though that I was sending everywhere, not just like a Heyyy what's up), received interview less than a week later!
 
Well guys, here's my story. Sent an update 10/24, cc'd Dr. Callahan. On 10/30 I got a call that an interview slot was open for 11/5. Needless to say I took it but I just got waitlisted. I'm bummed but I wanted to share my experience because I think the update really did the trick with getting me the ii. I received a personal reply from Dr. Callahan. I'll be sticking with the waitlist to see what happens but definitely send those updates guys.

I have no legit updates. You think a good "continued interest" letter would work? Also, if you cc'ed Dr. C, what was the primary email?
 
I have no legit updates. You think a good "continued interest" letter would work? Also, if you cc'ed Dr. C, what was the primary email?

Anything helps that may possibly make them look at your app again but that's just my opinion, it depends how you spin it. Even just saying you've continued activities on your amcas could work. The main email is [email protected] I believe.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
^ Did Same thing.

Just need to sound super desperate in our next update letters. Let them know that the thirst is strong with you.

"Dear Admissions Committee,

I would like to drink from your fountains of wisdom, for I am thirsty and I have heard rumors that they flow with trappist ale with dry hopped knowledge."
 
Last edited:
"Dear Admissions Committee,

I would like to drink from your fountains of wisdom, for I am thirsty and I have heard rumors that they flow with trappist ale with dry hopped knowledge."

Well, it's Philly, so the fountain more likely flows with Yuengling. But still, I like Yuengling 🙂
 
I was mostly kidding. Yuengling was currency in college. I used to bring back cases of it since we couldn't get it in CT and a lot of my friends were from PA/NJ and would fight over the stuff.

It's almost anticlimactic to be able to order it at a bar in boston now...
 
I was mostly kidding. Yuengling was currency in college. I used to bring back cases of it since we couldn't get it in CT and a lot of my friends were from PA/NJ and would fight over the stuff.

It's almost anticlimactic to be able to order it at a bar in boston now...
You misunderstand. Yuengling lager is amazing. Black and Tan on the other hand... Ehhh...

Six out of ten times, I'm ordering a lager when I go out. You can never go wrong with a lager.
 
You misunderstand. Yuengling lager is amazing. Black and Tan on the other hand... Ehhh...

Six out of ten times, I'm ordering a lager when I go out. You can never go wrong with a lager.

I know. I was joking about the black and tan bit. I don't think I've ever had one lol.
 
So my apologies if this has been asked before, but I was wondering how (and if) I should write an ITA email to Jefferson. I will be traveling to Philly in January and would love to have the opportunity to interview here. Thanks in advance.
 
3.55 cGPA, 3.43 sGPA, 31 MCAT (10/11/10). 8 years of military service, 2 years of firefighter/EMT experience, publication, worked all the way through college, complete 8/17.

No news from JMC. I guess medical school admissions is far more competitive than I realized. I really thought I would get an interview 🙁
 
3.55 cGPA, 3.43 sGPA, 31 MCAT (10/11/10). 8 years of military service, 2 years of firefighter/EMT experience, publication, worked all the way through college, complete 8/17.

No news from JMC. I guess medical school admissions is far more competitive than I realized. I really thought I would get an interview 🙁
Send an email. Emphasize your service and why you think you would be a good fit at Jefferson.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks!

I was right in the hood on saturday night. Had dinner with a 3rd year friend and picked his brain. Ate at smokin' betty's. I recommend their crazy burger with the egg. Nom!