2014-2015 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Send an email. Emphasize your service and why you think you would be a good fit at Jefferson.
I am a disadvantaged student and a veteran, I would think those two things would be enough for most schools to look at my application pretty closely. Do you think that the email would really help?
 
I am a disadvantaged student and a veteran, I would think those two things would be enough for most schools to look at my application pretty closely. Do you think that the email would really help?
It's worth a shot. There's a lot of applications and another look at your application at this point in the cycle may get you an interview invitation. You don't really have anything to lose.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a disadvantaged student and a veteran, I would think those two things would be enough for most schools to look at my application pretty closely. Do you think that the email would really help?

Definitely send in a letter if you're that interested in the school -- it's been good luck for a few of us on this thread already. 😉
 
have any recent post-interview decisions gone out? it seems like its been quiet for the past two weeks, granted there was a holiday 4-day weekend.

thanks in advance. 🙂
 
Last edited:
Got an acceptance call from Dr. Callahan yesterday. Interviewed 11/19

Congratulations! I interviewed that day, too... and I am nervously awaiting news.

What time do the waitlist/HPWL emails typically go out on Thursdays? I am curious what time I can stop worrying about getting news this week... :/
 
II received just a couple hours ago!! Some late-night workers in the admissions office for sure! I've been very impressed and touched by how personable the whole Jefferson community appears to be...this school continues to rise on my list.

Best of luck to everyone out there.
 
Out of curiosity, who has written more than one update letter either to this school or others? Were you successful in doing so? Thank you!
 
II received just a couple hours ago!! Some late-night workers in the admissions office for sure! I've been very impressed and touched by how personable the whole Jefferson community appears to be...this school continues to rise on my list.

Best of luck to everyone out there.

When were you complete? I've been on hold since July and sent in a letter of interest/update a couple of week ago....still haven't heard anything 🙁

Wish you the best in your upcoming interview!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mine also says "decision pending" but I'm taking that as hold...

I think my status has been "decision pending" since the day I submitted my app, so I just thought it meant that my app hasn't been reviewed yet. I think someone had an "interview decision pending", which might actually be the hold. Not sure about any of this, though, so take this with a grain of salt!
 
hi. this may or may not be the best place to ask this, but i was hoping to get some info regarding the reviews of JMC online at ripoffreport.com.... i'll spare you the actual link right now as i'm sure you can find it on your own, and my heart is too weak right now to post the link...


basically, jefferson is one of the schools which i'm considering most seriously during this application cycle. i've visited it multiple times and never got a bad vibe but then again i haven't actually experienced it as a student. can anyone comment, esp a current student, on the negative comments on ripoffreport.com? many comments from diff students would be appreciated. the way that i found them was by a thorough google search since i had read the website and pamphlets over and over and over and i needed new info. now i regret having come across it. my heart is telling me that it's just exaggerated statements, but i can't help but cringe and feel uneasy at what i've read. i'm particularly concerned about the comments regarding students being dismissed without a fair trial/teamed up against by administration. i just don't want to believe it, but i would like to clarify these aspects as soon as possible.

furthermore, i went on to "Search" other schools on this website and from the 4-5 i tried to search, i couldn't find similar reports for other schools, or any at all at that, and so i am worried about what this means. my optimistic side is telling me that maybe jeff is just not aware that this info exists out there and hasn't made the legal arrangements yet to rectify these statements. my pessimistic side is that these statements haven't been rectified bc there lies some truth to them. yet again my optimistic side is telling me that since jeff doesn't have a law school or legal assistance readily available, like other schools do, these comments have lingered online unnoticed.

it was just a really depressing set of comments to come across, and i really would like some advice, esp from current med students or people who know about this website/situation.

i really am trying to keep an open mind, esp bc i really do like jeff from what I've seen/read/experienced elsewhere. but i really would benefit from discussing this website and its reports. thank you.
 
hi. this may or may not be the best place to ask this, but i was hoping to get some info regarding the reviews of JMC online at ripoffreport.com.... i'll spare you the actual link right now as i'm sure you can find it on your own, and my heart is too weak right now to post the link...


basically, jefferson is one of the schools which i'm considering most seriously during this application cycle. i've visited it multiple times and never got a bad vibe but then again i haven't actually experienced it as a student. can anyone comment, esp a current student, on the negative comments on ripoffreport.com? many comments from diff students would be appreciated. the way that i found them was by a thorough google search since i had read the website and pamphlets over and over and over and i needed new info. now i regret having come across it. my heart is telling me that it's just exaggerated statements, but i can't help but cringe and feel uneasy at what i've read. i'm particularly concerned about the comments regarding students being dismissed without a fair trial/teamed up against by administration. i just don't want to believe it, but i would like to clarify these aspects as soon as possible.

furthermore, i went on to "Search" other schools on this website and from the 4-5 i tried to search, i couldn't find similar reports for other schools, or any at all at that, and so i am worried about what this means. my optimistic side is telling me that maybe jeff is just not aware that this info exists out there and hasn't made the legal arrangements yet to rectify these statements. my pessimistic side is that these statements haven't been rectified bc there lies some truth to them. yet again my optimistic side is telling me that since jeff doesn't have a law school or legal assistance readily available, like other schools do, these comments have lingered online unnoticed.

it was just a really depressing set of comments to come across, and i really would like some advice, esp from current med students or people who know about this website/situation.

i really am trying to keep an open mind, esp bc i really do like jeff from what I've seen/read/experienced elsewhere. but i really would benefit from discussing this website and its reports. thank you.
Jefferson has one of the largest alumni (if not the largest) alumni base in the country. We've been around for a long time, and our class sizes are quite large. You can find Jefferson graduates pretty much anywhere you go. That being said, there are bound to be some people out there that have been less than happy with their experience. That may be due to a number of reasons, and I cannot personally comment on any of these experiences, because it is outside my realm of perspective. What I can say, however, is that disgruntled people will always find a way to express their feelings, and the internet is by and large where you find them. More often than not, these accounts are often heavily biased, with people looking for sympathy or a chance to push the blame away from themselves. If you look hard enough, you will find dirt on virtually every medical school in the country. Heck, it's happened on SDN on multiple occasions. The most recent one coming to mind was a student who was allegedly "unfairly dismissed" by a medical school. It turned out that they had been skipping days of their clerkship and forged a physician's signature. These skewed accounts and complaints are isolated incidents and do not represent the majority of experiences that students have. At least at Jefferson, it is my distinct impression that the majority of the student body here as well as the numerous faculty and physicians that have stayed at Jefferson by choice have a largely positive view.

Is it perfect here? Absolutely not. There are no perfect medical schools. Jefferson has struggled with issues like diversity for a long time. In fact, we were the last medical school in the country to admit women. Since then, things have changed significantly, and we are still working on improving ourselves.

I am very happy here at Jefferson, and I know tons of people on the cusp of graduating that still feel the exact same way.
 
When were you complete? I've been on hold since July and sent in a letter of interest/update a couple of week ago....still haven't heard anything 🙁

Wish you the best in your upcoming interview!!
Thanks for the good luck wish! I was complete within the last couple weeks. I've seen countless people on here get interview invites after months of waiting, so hang in there! I'm sure you will end up at a school that likes you as much as you like them =)
 
hi. this may or may not be the best place to ask this, but i was hoping to get some info regarding the reviews of JMC online at ripoffreport.com.... i'll spare you the actual link right now as i'm sure you can find it on your own, and my heart is too weak right now to post the link...


basically, jefferson is one of the schools which i'm considering most seriously during this application cycle. i've visited it multiple times and never got a bad vibe but then again i haven't actually experienced it as a student. can anyone comment, esp a current student, on the negative comments on ripoffreport.com? many comments from diff students would be appreciated. the way that i found them was by a thorough google search since i had read the website and pamphlets over and over and over and i needed new info. now i regret having come across it. my heart is telling me that it's just exaggerated statements, but i can't help but cringe and feel uneasy at what i've read. i'm particularly concerned about the comments regarding students being dismissed without a fair trial/teamed up against by administration. i just don't want to believe it, but i would like to clarify these aspects as soon as possible.

furthermore, i went on to "Search" other schools on this website and from the 4-5 i tried to search, i couldn't find similar reports for other schools, or any at all at that, and so i am worried about what this means. my optimistic side is telling me that maybe jeff is just not aware that this info exists out there and hasn't made the legal arrangements yet to rectify these statements. my pessimistic side is that these statements haven't been rectified bc there lies some truth to them. yet again my optimistic side is telling me that since jeff doesn't have a law school or legal assistance readily available, like other schools do, these comments have lingered online unnoticed.

it was just a really depressing set of comments to come across, and i really would like some advice, esp from current med students or people who know about this website/situation.

i really am trying to keep an open mind, esp bc i really do like jeff from what I've seen/read/experienced elsewhere. but i really would benefit from discussing this website and its reports. thank you.

I think you went down the wrong rabbit hole, Alice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question for those of you who have been accepted: does your status on the application portal change to "accepted" or does it stay at whatever the last status was?
 
Well guys, here's my story. Sent an update 10/24, cc'd Dr. Callahan. On 10/30 I got a call that an interview slot was open for 11/5. Needless to say I took it but I just got waitlisted. I'm bummed but I wanted to share my experience because I think the update really did the trick with getting me the ii. I received a personal reply from Dr. Callahan. I'll be sticking with the waitlist to see what happens but definitely send those updates guys.

Just wondering if cc'ing the Dean of Admissions is appropriate. I know it worked out for halfwaycrooks, but I'm wondering whether it was a lucky shot. With my luck, I'd get a slap on the wrist, and then a rejection a week later! 😛 I sent in an update letter before thanksgiving and wanted to go ahead and send in another letter saying I'm still interested, and maybe cc Dr. Callahan on this one. thoughts anybody?
 
I have an interview here next week and have a question regarding letters of rec. I have a committee letter, which, as I understand, was sufficient for Jefferson's letter requirement since I have an interview. About two months ago I had another letter written on my behalf by a former history professor whom I am very close with.

My committee letter contains 5 letters within it. Will Jefferson accept my additional letter on top of my committee letter? If so, is it too late to submit an additional letter?
 
I have an interview here next week and have a question regarding letters of rec. I have a committee letter, which, as I understand, was sufficient for Jefferson's letter requirement since I have an interview. About two months ago I had another letter written on my behalf by a former history professor whom I am very close with.

My committee letter contains 5 letters within it. Will Jefferson accept my additional letter on top of my committee letter? If so, is it too late to submit an additional letter?

I think it may be a bit overkill (obviously not knowing Jeffs policy or practice). Your letters are there to provide references of your education, character, work ethic, etc. Unless you feel that this new letter does that in a way that is unique and different from the other 5 letters, I wouldn't.
 
I have an interview here next week and have a question regarding letters of rec. I have a committee letter, which, as I understand, was sufficient for Jefferson's letter requirement since I have an interview. About two months ago I had another letter written on my behalf by a former history professor whom I am very close with.

My committee letter contains 5 letters within it. Will Jefferson accept my additional letter on top of my committee letter? If so, is it too late to submit an additional letter?

They will accept it.

Better yet though, wait until you hear back and if you happen to get waitlisted, use it with an update/LOI. I think it would add more then than it would now on top of the committee letter.
 
I have an interview here next week and have a question regarding letters of rec. I have a committee letter, which, as I understand, was sufficient for Jefferson's letter requirement since I have an interview. About two months ago I had another letter written on my behalf by a former history professor whom I am very close with.

My committee letter contains 5 letters within it. Will Jefferson accept my additional letter on top of my committee letter? If so, is it too late to submit an additional letter?
It could be helpful. The physician who interviewed me likes history.
 
I think it may be a bit overkill (obviously not knowing Jeffs policy or practice). Your letters are there to provide references of your education, character, work ethic, etc. Unless you feel that this new letter does that in a way that is unique and different from the other 5 letters, I wouldn't.

They will accept it.

Better yet though, wait until you hear back and if you happen to get waitlisted, use it with an update/LOI. I think it would add more then than it would now on top of the committee letter.

Based on my rapport with this professor and what she could tell me about the letter, I do think that this letter may be substantially better than the 5 letters included in my committee letter, otherwise I wouldn't bother including it. I think submitting it if I get waitlisted could be a good call. However, I read somewhere that the deadline for the receipt of letters at Jefferson is January 1st. If this is the case, I may just go ahead and submit it now if they'll take it. One more letter, especially one that is substantially better than the others and adds something unique (the history aspect), may be worth the add.

Interviewing here this coming Wednesday. Anyone else?

I'll be interviewing here this Weds. as well!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Based on my rapport with this professor and what she could tell me about the letter, I do think that this letter may be substantially better than the 5 letters included in my committee letter, otherwise I wouldn't bother including it. I think submitting it if I get waitlisted could be a good call. However, I read somewhere that the deadline for the receipt of letters at Jefferson is January 1st. If this is the case, I may just go ahead and submit it now if they'll take it. One more letter, especially one that is substantially better than the others and adds something unique (the history aspect), may be worth the add.
It definitely would not hurt to have it added to your file.
 
FIRST II!!!!! OMG I AM BEYOND EXCITED! (sorry for caps).

Edit: I am Russell Wilson, the ball is my Letter of Intent, and the guy that catches it are the ADCOMs.

hailmary.gif
 
Last edited: