2014-2015 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Everyone has calmed down a little and stopped being so over-dramatic. I think one of my classmates put it best:

"Weill, Perelman, Geffen, Geisel, Keck, Miller, Pritzker, Feinberg, Icahn, Alpert, Lerner, Kimmel.

Better known as Cornell, Penn, UCLA, Dartmouth, U of Southern California, U of Miami, U of Chicago, Northwestern, Mount Sinai, Brown, Cleveland Clinic, and Jefferson.

The money will bring the best and brightest to Jefferson as students and faculty.

It's gonna be OK."
 
Off the top of my head the only school that's referred to by someone's name is Einstein (instead of Yeshiva University).
 
What a terrible change. I feel like a lot of Jefferson's reputation is wrapped up in its name, since it does not have an undergraduate institution and it is known primarily as a medical college.

I agree that the name change is a serious branding issue, especially because Jeff is known primarily for being a medical college. I do think it's strange that they use his first name in SKMC too. Why not Kimmel Medical College? SKMC just doesn't roll off the tongue at all. In any event, ultimately the real change is $110,000,000. That's a lot of money that will help Jeff/Kimmel recruit excellent students and faculty while maintaining excellent facilities.

Also Jefferson's reputation is wrapped up in training excellent physicians. $110,000,000 goes a long way to ensure that this legacy will continue. Hopefully down the road Kimmel will become an equally strong and respected name. The name change also ensures further financing from the Kimmel Foundation in the future (it's not like you can make a big donation, have a school named after you, and then not donate more in the future. It's a huge investment for Kimmel that he will likely continue.)

Finally, student's will still say "I go to Jefferson" because they do 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Baseless rumor time: I have read on other forums (past years) that Jefferson has a strong focus on clinical training (one of the reasons I am thinking about applying there). Is that true? Is that even distinct from other medical schools? Is it because of the connections with the hospital?
 
Baseless rumor time: I have read on other forums (past years) that Jefferson has a strong focus on clinical training (one of the reasons I am thinking about applying there). Is that true? Is that even distinct from other medical schools? Is it because of the connections with the hospital?
Yes, Jefferson is widely known for training great clinicians.
 
I'm excited for Jefferson! I'm IS so I will definitely be applying to most PA med schools: Drexel, Temple, TCMC, Hershey, and even PCOM for D.O. program.

Question for you guys: Does anyone know if Jefferson has some ties with Penn State? I'm going to be a rising senior at Penn State Main Campus. I was wondering if they will accept more students who go there. I know three doctors who went to Penn State and went to Jefferson for M.D.; it might be only a coincidence since they're all in-state students and already have slight advantage. Just a thought.
 
I'm excited for Jefferson! I'm IS so I will definitely be applying to most PA med schools: Drexel, Temple, TCMC, Hershey, and even PCOM for D.O. program.

Question for you guys: Does anyone know if Jefferson has some ties with Penn State? I'm going to be a rising senior at Penn State Main Campus. I was wondering if they will accept more students who go there. I know three doctors who went to Penn State and went to Jefferson for M.D.; it might be only a coincidence since they're all in-state students and already have slight advantage. Just a thought.
I'm not sure about psu but I know that Jeff has linkages with University of Delaware because it's the state school for DE.
 
I'm excited for Jefferson! I'm IS so I will definitely be applying to most PA med schools: Drexel, Temple, TCMC, Hershey, and even PCOM for D.O. program.

Question for you guys: Does anyone know if Jefferson has some ties with Penn State? I'm going to be a rising senior at Penn State Main Campus. I was wondering if they will accept more students who go there. I know three doctors who went to Penn State and went to Jefferson for M.D.; it might be only a coincidence since they're all in-state students and already have slight advantage. Just a thought.

Jeff doesn't consider PA residents as IS applicants. Only Delaware.
 
I'm excited for Jefferson! I'm IS so I will definitely be applying to most PA med schools: Drexel, Temple, TCMC, Hershey, and even PCOM for D.O. program.

Question for you guys: Does anyone know if Jefferson has some ties with Penn State? I'm going to be a rising senior at Penn State Main Campus. I was wondering if they will accept more students who go there. I know three doctors who went to Penn State and went to Jefferson for M.D.; it might be only a coincidence since they're all in-state students and already have slight advantage. Just a thought.
http://science.psu.edu/premed/premedmed

We have a handful of students in our class that came through this program (about 30-ish students). In addition, there are also a good number of students in our class who applied the traditional route and are also from PSU. The University of Delaware is also pretty well represented at Jefferson.

Jeff doesn't consider PA residents as IS applicants. Only Delaware.
Officially, DE is the only state that gets IS preference, but I would say that there is also a slight bias towards applicants from PA, especially for those applying to the Physician Shortage program.
 
http://science.psu.edu/premed/premedmed

We have a handful of students in our class that came through this program (about 30-ish students). In addition, there are also a good number of students in our class who applied the traditional route and are also from PSU. The University of Delaware is also pretty well represented at Jefferson.


Officially, DE is the only state that gets IS preference, but I would say that there is also a slight bias towards applicants from PA, especially for those applying to the Physician Shortage program.

May I ask what is Physician Shortage program?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, there was a big hoo-hah about it this morning when the news broke. Most of us aren't... particularly happy about the sudden change.
Is it because the name "Jefferson" gives the med school more prestige? If anything I would want on my diploma it would be "Jefferson Medical College" (associated with Thomas Jefferson). Sidney Kimmel reminds me of Jimmy Kimmel.
 
Is it because the name "Jefferson" gives the med school more prestige? If anything I would want on my diploma it would be "Jefferson Medical College" (associated with Thomas Jefferson). Sidney Kimmel reminds me of Jimmy Kimmel.

Do people not go to Pitt because it reminds them of Brad Pitt? Sidney Kimmel is a huge philanthropist. He has both Jeff and Hopkins' cancer centers and a major performing arts center in Philadelphia named after him. People just don't like change.
 
Is it because the name "Jefferson" gives the med school more prestige? If anything I would want on my diploma it would be "Jefferson Medical College" (associated with Thomas Jefferson). Sidney Kimmel reminds me of Jimmy Kimmel.

that's the only tangible difference

is it worth forgoing the effects of the $110M on the school?

school will still be known as Jefferson.. just like every other named school out there
 
Baseless rumor time: I have read on other forums (past years) that Jefferson has a strong focus on clinical training (one of the reasons I am thinking about applying there). Is that true? Is that even distinct from other medical schools? Is it because of the connections with the hospital?

I can't answer on how distinct it might be but from the students I talked to while shadowing there, they all had to comment on how much clinical experience they got in and around the city. Philadelphia is a very diverse city which gives you a lot of exposure to lots of different groups of people. For instance, I shadowed at a free clinic in west philly and there were first year Jeff students there too.

I was incredibly impressed with Jeff. I'm applying next year but it's my top choice thus far. I also live about 35 minutes away, so I am familiar with the area.
 
Could anyone speak to how strong their preference is for the preprofessional committee letter or one letter each from Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Humanities? Would not meeting this preference be a significant disadvantage?
 
Do people not go to Pitt because it reminds them of Brad Pitt? Sidney Kimmel is a huge philanthropist. He has both Jeff and Hopkins' cancer centers and a major performing arts center in Philadelphia named after him. People just don't like change.
"Pitt" is shorthand for Pittsburgh, the city it's located in, genius.
Residency PDs don't know and don't care who Sidney Kimmel is.
 
I think he was making a point that people don't care about a school name that much.
My point is more the prestige of the institution, not that people won't go to it. Jefferson was a much better name. Not surprised that current med students don't like the name change.
 
"Pitt" is shorthand for Pittsburgh, the city it's located in, genius.
Residency PDs don't know and don't care who Sidney Kimmel is.

Somehow I think residency PDs are going to be smart about it and realize its Jefferson.

Sucks for students though.. we can all probably kiss those derm residencies goodbye without the Jefferson name..

it's a serious non-issue... huge donation that will only help the school going forward.
 
About-to-be-MS2 here. I'm open to answering any questions you guys may have about applying to and being a student at Jefferson. Feel free to PM or post here (just tag me).

9. If there is any additional information you would like to provide please include it in the box below.
(*** Please limit your response to 4000 characters and do not cut and paste. ***)

Would you have any suggestions regarding what to write under this question
 
9. If there is any additional information you would like to provide please include it in the box below.
(*** Please limit your response to 4000 characters and do not cut and paste. ***)

Would you have any suggestions regarding what to write under this question

Is this additional information section from the current secondary or last year's? I saw the sample secondary on their website does not list a character limit so I want to confirm whether we still have 4000 characters.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can you post all the secondary prompts? Previous threads have prompt 8 and 9 only...thx!

the other items (1-7) aren't prompts and are just spaces to fill out various information (i.e. family members, connections to Jefferson, etc.)
 
Just got the secondary a little while ago 🙂 I submitted 3 today tho so I'll probably wait until tomorrow to submit this one. Seems like a very good school.
 
Secondary received... Was waiting for this one.

I do not remember my SAT scores....
 
Last edited:
9. If there is any additional information you would like to provide please include it in the box below.
(*** Please limit your response to 4000 characters and do not cut and paste. ***)

Would you have any suggestions regarding what to write under this question
I basically used it as a diversity/why Jefferson essay. We get upwards of ten thousand applications a year, so making a good first impression is definitely something you should consider.
 
8. Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic or parking violation? If you answer yes, please provide an explanation in the space provided. (*** Please limit your response to 4000 characters and do not cut and paste. ***)
 
I had heard that there was an optional "Why Jefferson" essay, but there's no question like this on the secondary. I'll need to check my sources better next time.

If we wanted to submit this kind of essay, would we just use the "additional information" section to include this? Is it appropriate to submit this essay, or will the ADCOM just skim over it due to the high volume of applicants?
 
I had heard that there was an optional "Why Jefferson" essay, but there's no question like this on the secondary. I'll need to check my sources better next time.

If we wanted to submit this kind of essay, would we just use the "additional information" section to include this? Is it appropriate to submit this essay, or will the ADCOM just skim over it due to the high volume of applicants?

From what I've seen, that's exactly the sort of thing that you can put in the "additional information" section...i.e., what else do I want you to know? I want you to know that I love you and want to come to your school and here's why 😍
 
From what I've seen, that's exactly the sort of thing that you can put in the "additional information" section...i.e., what else do I want you to know? I want you to know that I love you and want to come to your school and here's why 😍
I don't think that is what that box is for. I think it is meant for addition information that is not on your primary...
 
When submitting the additional information, were you guys able to get it to show separate paragraphs? Mine came out all lumped together so I'm hoping they'll take this into account
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think that is what that box is for. I think it is meant for addition information that is not on your primary...

Considering no where else on the primary or secondary do you have the opportunity to express the reasons you're interested in the school and show them that they aren't just another shot in the dark for you, that actually is additional information. If you have things you want to address other than that, that's perfectly fine, but in reading through past years' threads in preparation for the application cycle, the overall consensus, including from students who were admitted, is that it's totally acceptable to use that box for the "why Jefferson" essay.