2014-2015 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I don't think that is what that box is for. I think it is meant for addition information that is not on your primary...

The box is for whatever you want that's not already covered in your application. You don't need to fill it out but if you have something substantial to add (such as specific reasons why you are applying to Jeff or plans for the next year), you can do it there.

I personally used it as a "Why Jeff" essay as well as what I could bring to the school/student body. I know people have also used this area to explain grades, etc.
 
Okay, so to answer a couple of questions...

1. You can absolutely use the "additional information" space to write a "why Jefferson" essay. Like I've said previously, Jeff gets a high volume of applications (>10,000 a year), so it is imperative that you let them know early on if Jeff is one of your top choices.

2. The last official word I heard was that Jefferson screens out any MCAT sub-section of 7 or lower
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, so to answer a couple of questions...

1. You can absolutely use the "additional information" space to write a "why Jefferson" essay. Like I've said previously, Jeff gets a high volume of applications (>10,000 a year), so it is imperative that you let them know early on if Jeff is one of your top choices.

2. The last official word I heard was that Jefferson screens out any MCAT sub-section of 7 or lower

Is that screening pre-secondary though? I had thought everyone received a secondary but obviously am unsure.

Also for those wondering about ACT/SAT scores.. you can look them up with some basic info (i.e. name and SSN) on collegeboard.com or the relevant ACT site. They have no affect on your application, it's just there to gather some stats.
 
Is that screening pre-secondary though? I had thought everyone received a secondary but obviously am unsure.

Also for those wondering about ACT/SAT scores.. you can look them up with some basic info (i.e. name and SSN) on collegeboard.com or the relevant ACT site. They have no affect on your application, it's just there to gather some stats.
Oh, right, I actually do not recall if the screening is pre- or post-secondary. It's likely post-secondary, though (gotta rack in that $$$).

And, yes, my future colleague is correct about the ACT/SAT scores. They do not have bearing on your admissions status; it's purely for research and statistical analysis purposes.
 
TBH I would like them to screen ergo I am not wasting my time and money completing a secondary to giggles.
 
Ugliest/lowest tech secondary page yet lol

May not be pretty, but from the 20+ secondaries I filled out last year, I can speak to it being one of the easiest.

Like Doctor Strange, I'll be around to help and answer questions! I'm an incoming first year =)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Received Jefferson secondary yesterday. Submitted today! Verified 6/5. Their secondary website's a little wonky, though. The status check page says I haven't submitted or paid, and it says I don't have a SSN, even though I definitely entered that in the app.....
 
I tried to submit my secondary app but Im not sure it worked. After putting in all the information and hitting submit it brought me to a review screen (verify all the information is correct etc) and I hit submit again and it just brought me back to the home screen. I never had the opportunity to pay or anything, and the status page also says they haven't received my secondary. Thoughts? Anyone else having issues?
 
Received Jefferson secondary yesterday. Submitted today! Verified 6/5. Their secondary website's a little wonky, though. The status check page says I haven't submitted or paid, and it says I don't have a SSN, even though I definitely entered that in the app.....

My SSN wasn't listed as well, I'm assuming they did it as a security measure.
 
Just submitted a little while ago but I didn't get any kind of confirmation, either on the page or by email. A screen just came up with some random lines of code. Did this happen to anyone else? I'm thinking I'm going to email them to ask if they got my secondary.
 
I tried to submit my secondary app but Im not sure it worked. After putting in all the information and hitting submit it brought me to a review screen (verify all the information is correct etc) and I hit submit again and it just brought me back to the home screen. I never had the opportunity to pay or anything, and the status page also says they haven't received my secondary. Thoughts? Anyone else having issues?
+1 plus it didn't give me a way to pay. How did you guys get to that point?
 
Last edited:
Received Jefferson secondary yesterday. Submitted today! Verified 6/5. Their secondary website's a little wonky, though. The status check page says I haven't submitted or paid, and it says I don't have a SSN, even though I definitely entered that in the app.....
Mine does that as well! Did you get a confirmation email in your email? How long did it take, if you did? Also did your status every change?
 
Mine does that as well! Did you get a confirmation email in your email? How long did it take, if you did? Also did your status every change?
Yes but that happens almost all of the secondaries. I have tried submitting multiple times and haven't gotten a confirmation. Were you able to pay?
 
Yes but that happens almost all of the secondaries. I have tried submitting multiple times and haven't gotten a confirmation. Were you able to pay?
Cool thanks!
Yeah somehow it went through for me to pay. I had a similar problem to your's as well. Tried many times though. Was scared that it might stop in the middle of paying.. lol
 
Cool thanks!
Yeah somehow it went through for me to pay. I had a similar problem to your's as well. Tried many times though. Was scared that it might stop in the middle of paying.. lol
Did you cut and paste? I don't know how else we would enter 4000 characters... I have no idea why mine won't work.
 
Did you cut and paste? I don't know how else we would enter 4000 characters... I have no idea why mine won't work.
I did cut and paste (used Mac's textedit as intermediary tho). I thought that was the problem as well, but it went through anyway.
 
I did cut and paste (used Mac's textedit as intermediary tho). I thought that was the problem as well, but it went through anyway.
I am using a mac too. Maybe my essay is too long even though it says it is under 4000. Thanks for the help!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm sorry if this is already up but I couldn't find it... can someone actually post the secondary questions. I haven't received my secondary yet and I want to prewrite... even the ones from last year would help! Thanks!
 
I'm sorry if this is already up but I couldn't find it... can someone actually post the secondary questions. I haven't received my secondary yet and I want to prewrite... even the ones from last year would help! Thanks!
9. If there is any additional information you would like to provide please include it in the box below.
(*** Please limit your response to 4000 characters and do not cut and paste. ***)
 
Probably just random. Some secondaries I've gotten first batch others I've gotten a couple days later.

random batches, don't read into it.

Interview invites don't start until a little bit later in the summer anyways. Keep in mind as well that there are only two people who read applications at Jeff so no news is definitely not bad news.

for those wondering about statuses, "decision pending" is the status you'll see the rest of the cycle until you are invited to an interview. There's no 'review' or 'hold' status.
 
Okay, so to answer a couple of questions...

1. You can absolutely use the "additional information" space to write a "why Jefferson" essay. Like I've said previously, Jeff gets a high volume of applications (>10,000 a year), so it is imperative that you let them know early on if Jeff is one of your top choices.

2. The last official word I heard was that Jefferson screens out any MCAT sub-section of 7 or lower

Where did you hear your second comment?
 
I would like to mention in my secondary that Jefferson is my top choice (because it is). Is there any chance this could come across as insincere?
 
I would like to mention in my secondary that Jefferson is my top choice (because it is). Is there any chance this could come across as insincere?

as long as you have good reasoning and express it successfully, than no.

not sure how much it would help pre-interview though.
 
Is anyone else being asked to choose an application type when you first begin the secondary? It has various options like GS-certificate, General Studies- all programs and so on.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, so to answer a couple of questions...

1. You can absolutely use the "additional information" space to write a "why Jefferson" essay. Like I've said previously, Jeff gets a high volume of applications (>10,000 a year), so it is imperative that you let them know early on if Jeff is one of your top choices.

2. The last official word I heard was that Jefferson screens out any MCAT sub-section of 7 or lower

Just received the secondary. I have 7 in a sub-section. I really do not want to pay them money if they're not even going to look at my application. This is so messed up.
 
Just received the secondary. I have 7 in a sub-section. I really do not want to pay them money if they're not even going to look at my application. This is so messed up.
Im in the same boat ... I have a 29, lots of research, 3.83/3.8, and 11s in science sections ... 7 in verbal, the only blemish is a 7 but why waste the money if they are going to throw it out idk what to do. They said that they like to see a 9 in each section but the admissions guy seemed like he didnt know.
 
Is anyone else being asked to choose an application type when you first begin the secondary? It has various options like GS-certificate, General Studies- all programs and so on.
DO NOT DO THAT. GET OUT OF THAT ASAP AND CLICK THE CLICK TO START SECONDARY TOWARDS THE TOP OF THE PAGE. I did that and it keeps you from submitting your secondary. Now I have to submit by snail mail.
 
Im in the same boat ... I have a 29, lots of research, 3.83/3.8, and 11s in science sections ... 7 in verbal, the only blemish is a 7 but why waste the money if they are going to throw it out idk what to do. They said that they like to see a 9 in each section but the admissions guy seemed like he didnt know.

haha exactly what happened when I called