2014-2015 New York University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone get confirmation their FAFSA or need access form was received?
Not yet. I might give a call tomorrow morning.

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlisted. Going to withdraw. California, here I come :)
I realize that this post is a month old, but it made my day :D
california-sunflower-bill-gallagher.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do we need to submit parent and student 1040s+W2s in addition to NeedAccess and FAFSA?

Using my NYU Medical Center commemorative tote bag tonight to take some beverages to a BYOB–musical–venue. Glad I get to put it to some use

Reactions: 3 users
Using my NYU Medical Center commemorative tote bag tonight to take some beverages to a BYOB–musical–venue. Glad I get to put it to some use
I used mine for a similar purpose recently. It performed admirably :)

Not gonna lie, I also loved the pens they gave us.

Jokes on you NYU! You waitlisted me but I've been using the tote as a gym bag since September so WHO'S THE REAL WINNER?!? HAHAhahaha... .. . ... *sob* :cryi:

Reactions: 9 users
Has anyone been accepted from the waitlist?

NYU should accept twice their normal class size now to celebrate their new top 15 ranking. lol.

Reactions: 4 users
Number 14 woo. You're next Columbia/take that Mt. Sinai.

NYU should accept twice their normal class size now to celebrate their new top 15 ranking. lol.
My new fantasy:

NYU admissions staff head towards their favorite bar to celebrate their new status as a top 15 school. While the entire office parties in a somewhat inebriated manner, they decide that they want to get everyone in on the fun, so someone decides to send acceptances out to everyone on the waitlist. Two days later, they realize their mistake, but deciding that mistakes are something that only schools ranked not in the top 15 make (and Duke), agree to just go along with it and sustain the acceptances. They even decide to embrace it to the fullest extent, sending out a batch of Home Depot e-gift cards to accepted applicant courtesy of Langone.

If only...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
But actually...why is it taking so long for them to start moving their waitlist? Didn't they start accepting at the end of February last year?

Reactions: 1 users
But actually...why is it taking so long for them to start moving their waitlist? Didn't they start accepting at the end of February last year?

I mean it is different from year to year in terms of how the AdCom does this and how many people withdraw their acceptances. I am telling myself to not expect anything until May but I can't help checking my e-mail compulsively. Lol.

Well I'd assume it's because all the rolling decisions have just came out so we haven't seen many withdrawals yet.

As financial aid offers come out everywhere I'd imagine more spots would open out.

This is just speculation though.

Does anyone know if merit scholarships have all been released already, or if not, when that's going to happen?

Clearly because they are going to accept so many people they want to wait and do it in bulk ;)

does NYU take extra rec letters for those on the WL? what else can WL'ed applicants do outside of an update/LOI?

Considering that the date when schools can see the acceptance list of their WL applicants is April 1 this year (I think), there will probably be more movement after this

Considering that the date when schools can see the acceptance list of their WL applicants is April 1 this year (I think), there will probably be more movement after this

So what is the general thought around how this information would be used? that they would want people who are more likely to come because they have less acceptances or that they would want people with other acceptances from top schools?

So what is the general thought around how this information would be used? that they would want people who are more likely to come because they have less acceptances or that they would want people with other acceptances from top schools?

I argue the former. They want to protect their yield. If they wait listed someone who is accepted to columbia and Hopkins and Stanford, there's a relatively small chance they'll attend nyu. Someone accepted to Einstein and Albany, however, is someone who might be happy to go to NYU.

I wonder how they'd see someone with zero other acceptances... A missed opportunity (let's accept them then -- guaranteed matriculation) or a red flag?

I argue the former. They want to protect their yield. If they wait listed someone who is accepted to columbia and Hopkins and Stanford, there's a relatively small chance they'll attend nyu. Someone accepted to Einstein and Albany, however, is someone who might be happy to go to NYU.

I wonder how they'd see someone with zero other acceptances... A missed opportunity (let's accept them then -- guaranteed matriculation) or a red flag?

The admissions process just continues to surprise me. There is even extensive metagame behind waitlists.

Huh I thought only accepted students' multiple offers of acceptance can be seen? I called aamc and they said schools that accept a student can only see that students acceptances at other schools. Schools that not have taken decision or have waitlisted/rejected an applicant cannot see a students acceptances.

Huh I thought only accepted students' multiple offers of acceptance can be seen? I called aamc and they said schools that accept a student can only see that students acceptances at other schools. Schools that not have taken decision or have waitlisted/rejected an applicant cannot see a students acceptances.

I think both things happen. First, schools have info on accepted students as you're saying. Later, they can see info on all students, including those on the waitlist. I don't know when each step occurs though.

I REALLY REALLY hope the former hahah... uhhhhhhh
gonna go back to waiting

Also, has anyone received interview invites for the 3 Year Pathway?

If I get rejected, I'm at least hoping they let us know before April 30th!

Has anybody heard from financial aid yet?
I called and asked about it, the person on the phone at the aid office didn't seem to know when they would start rolling it out

Last edited:
If I already uploaded an update/interest letter after being waitlisted, would an actual letter of intent now be alright or overkill?

Has anyone from the waitlist heard anything about your status? It's so strange that there hasn't been any movement yet in comparison to last year.

Has anyone from the waitlist heard anything about your status? It's so strange that there hasn't been any movement yet in comparison to last year.

i havent :( and i know right? though from previous years (minus last year), there wasn't waitlist movement until like late april/may.

I think a part of it may also be when financial aid news comes out. I get the sense that people may wait until they find out how much all of their schools will cost then may back out if NYU is too much. I think financial aid news came out earlier last year so it makes sense to me. Correct me if I am wrong!

can any accepted students that are part of the accepted students fb group confirm whether anybody has been taken off the WL recently? it seems as if there have been a few new people added to the group a week or two ago.

can any accepted students that are part of the accepted students fb group confirm whether anybody has been taken off the WL recently? it seems as if there have been a few new people added to the group a week or two ago.

Not sure whether they were accepted from the waitlist, but a few people have been added to the group in the passed few weeks. It seems to me like it is very few people, though, relative to historic waitlist movement.

Does nyu usually report on its twitter or something if theyve started going to the waitlist? Please let us know if there are people joining the fb group who got off the WL, thanks!

I called the admin office last week and they said that the WL has not moved yet. The committee has not met.

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone know how we submit our parents' tax return transcripts? I can't find an email or fax number to send it to.

Does anyone know how we submit our parents' tax return transcripts? I can't find an email or fax number to send it to.

I think you just mail it in. I don't have any evidence to back that up though.