You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Quinnipiac University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Applying here!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Applying, OOS. Really like this school!
Applying here OOS.
Applied OOS, really like their curriculum!
Applied hoping for some love
+1Applied OOS, really like their curriculum!
Applying, IS. It'as also my UG
Applying OOS!
+1I'm applying here this cycle. I'm really excited about this school! Are there any current medical students willing to dish out some secondary/interview advice?
Applying. Was kinda iffy about it until I learned about the primary care focus. Now it is high on my list.
Applying OOS
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was reading... oh, somewhere, that the school aims for 50% of its grads to go into primary care, and that to support that they are investing heavily in funding for students willing to commit early to primary care. Also, clinical days beginning year 1 in a PC setting.
I sincerely want to go into Family Medicine, caring for people who can't all afford to pay me. I am looking for the schools that are looking for people like me. What I have heard about Quinnipiac suggests that they are such a place.
I sincerely want to go into Family Medicine, caring for people who can't all afford to pay me. I am looking for the schools that are looking for people like me. What I have heard about Quinnipiac suggests that they are such a place.
They used to focus a lot for primary care. Looking at last year's threads, some mentioned during their interviews that they were open to other specialties/subs as well; those people got in too. I asked my PI about it, since a lot of the associate professors are also an interviewer at the grad campus, and mentioned that they're in the process (might be wrong, if there's any MS1's who can correct me, please do), of rewriting their mission/vision to reflect this change from fully primary care to not that fully focused on it.
I went to their information session and early on in their curriculum, they will have you assigned to a primary doc in surrounding clinics in for you to see the early stages of a disease, if any - which I think is pretty cool and would be of advantage to people wanting experience w/ primary care during their MS1 year and onward.
I went to their information session and early on in their curriculum, they will have you assigned to a primary doc in surrounding clinics in for you to see the early stages of a disease, if any - which I think is pretty cool and would be of advantage to people wanting experience w/ primary care during their MS1 year and onward.
What type of project? This is the first I'm hearing about this.
I can't remember that actual name of it (it is on their website under curriculum). Basically at the begining of MS1 spring term you pick a concentration (there are seven or you can make your own) like global health or translational research. You then spend part of that semester and all of MS2 taking classes in your area of concentration. Dont seem to have to do much with it in your MS3 year (too busy I guess) but you have 8 weeks set aside in your MS4 year to work on a project.
sorry to be off-topic but what other primary care-focused med schools are you applying to? looking to add a few more schools to my listI was reading... oh, somewhere, that the school aims for 50% of its grads to go into primary care, and that to support that they are investing heavily in funding for students willing to commit early to primary care. Also, clinical days beginning year 1 in a PC setting.
I sincerely want to go into Family Medicine, caring for people who can't all afford to pay me. I am looking for the schools that are looking for people like me. What I have heard about Quinnipiac suggests that they are such a place.
@gold_ha , look how much focus do they put on the research/publication/physician scholar side of things? Not to say that primary care docs can't also do a little science, but if it is only a 4 year program, you can only fit so much in.
DO schools are generally more primary care focused. My favorites, based heavily upon geography: LECOM & PCOM I keep going back and forth about which one I think is better, as if that is my call to make. I will marry the one that accepts my proposal.
I am not applying to WVU, for personal reasons, but I can attest to the quality of their graduates with whom I have worked. Any school with rural/underserved communities around it is a good bet. They are praying that some of their grads will hang around and help meet local needs.
Another MD school along those same lines is the newish TCMC. Here, read this: http://www.medicaleducationfutures.org/featured-programs/commonwealth-medical-college
I am pretty much aiming for a tight circle around my home, else I would consider a lot more schools out west.
DO schools are generally more primary care focused. My favorites, based heavily upon geography: LECOM & PCOM I keep going back and forth about which one I think is better, as if that is my call to make. I will marry the one that accepts my proposal.
I am not applying to WVU, for personal reasons, but I can attest to the quality of their graduates with whom I have worked. Any school with rural/underserved communities around it is a good bet. They are praying that some of their grads will hang around and help meet local needs.
Another MD school along those same lines is the newish TCMC. Here, read this: http://www.medicaleducationfutures.org/featured-programs/commonwealth-medical-college
I am pretty much aiming for a tight circle around my home, else I would consider a lot more schools out west.
Thank you!I can't remember that actual name of it (it is on their website under curriculum). Basically at the begining of MS1 spring term you pick a concentration (there are seven or you can make your own) like global health or translational research. You then spend part of that semester and all of MS2 taking classes in your area of concentration. Dont seem to have to do much with it in your MS3 year (too busy I guess) but you have 8 weeks set aside in your MS4 year to work on a project.
Secondary received
Prompts:
All 250 words
What area of medicine do you envision yourself working in at the end of your training? What is shaping your vision?
What in your life experience or philosophy will help you work effectively in health care with patients and colleagues whose life experiences have been different from your own?
Answer only 2 of the following
Detail something about yourself (quality or accomplishment) that makes you extremely proud.
If you couldn't work in health care or the sciences, what career would you choose and why?
Give an example of when you have changed or altered your practice or behavior because of working with a diverse group.
All 250 words
What area of medicine do you envision yourself working in at the end of your training? What is shaping your vision?
What in your life experience or philosophy will help you work effectively in health care with patients and colleagues whose life experiences have been different from your own?
Answer only 2 of the following
Detail something about yourself (quality or accomplishment) that makes you extremely proud.
If you couldn't work in health care or the sciences, what career would you choose and why?
Give an example of when you have changed or altered your practice or behavior because of working with a diverse group.
There's also a question in the demographic section for non-trads and gap years:
If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student, how will you be spending/intend to spend your time during your application year?
If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student, how will you be spending/intend to spend your time during your application year?
Prompts:
All 250 words
What area of medicine do you envision yourself working in at the end of your training? What is shaping your vision?
What in your life experience or philosophy will help you work effectively in health care with patients and colleagues whose life experiences have been different from your own?
Answer only 2 of the following
Detail something about yourself (quality or accomplishment) that makes you extremely proud.
If you couldn't work in health care or the sciences, what career would you choose and why?
Give an example of when you have changed or altered your practice or behavior because of working with a diverse group.
Cheers, those secondary questions arent that bad. Now to hoping i actually get the secondary (still haven't gotten it) 🙁 🙁. What were your stats? I think quinnipiac prescreens.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To my knowledge all schools send secondaries without LORs, they just need them for you to be complete.Would quinnipiac (and other schools) send secondaries before receiving letters of rec? My app's been verified with a 33mcat and 3.9 gpa...is there anything else I should've done after it's been verified? Wondering about the lack of a secondary so far...
<3.5 & 36Cheers, those secondary questions arent that bad. Now to hoping i actually get the secondary (still haven't gotten it) 🙁 🙁. What were your stats? I think quinnipiac prescreens.
<3.5 & 36
your mcat rocks. that might explain it.
I'm a little surprised that a school so well known for its "stingy" pre-screening has already sent its secondary out.
Last edited:
Not me. WTF?!
Not verified yet, I submitted on day 1 :/
Me neither 🙁Not me. WTF?!
OK! Just pre-wrote the new prompts. Reapplicant hoping for a chance this year!
PreciousHamburgers- what are your stats?
Non-trad. GPA <3.5, MCAT 34. Much better application this time...
Not to worry everyone, literally they got applications Friday and so that was maybe a full working day to screen applicants. This cycle is toooo long to be worrying about not getting this secondary on the first day apps were released!
Did you guys put number of credits (i.e. 1 per class) or number of credit hours (i.e. 1 class= 4 credit hours)?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not verified yet, I submitted on day 1 :/
You submitted on 6/03 and still are not verified? This is definitely not normal.
Could be because transcripts weren't received until after that. I'm having the same problem.
Yea, you won't get put in line to be verified until after your transcripts are received, happened to me last year.Could be because transcripts weren't received until after that. I'm having the same problem.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K

