2014-2015 Tulane University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine (150 Words):

2. Have you graduated? What have you been pursuing since you graduated? (150 Words)

3. Are you participating or have you participated in a study abroad program at your university? Please give a short description (100 Words):

4. List any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held during college (100 words):

5. Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests (150 words):

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm applying here this cycle. I'm really excited about this school! Are there any current medical students willing to dish out some secondary/interview advice?

I'm also applying. Any info on the curriculum and grading system?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also applying. Any info on the curriculum and grading system?
Pass fail first two years. And it's actually pass fail. Curriculum, you can find it online, but it's probably similar to elsewhere core sciences first year, more clinical (though I just started the second year curriculum so not sure how related it will be but at least it is more interesting) related classroom stuff second year.

As for advice, don't try to BS stuff. It's much easier to pick out fake attempts to be what you think a school wants you to be. Besides that like any school show a passion for why tulane, why New Orleans? Your going to be spending at least 4 years here better make sure it's the place you wanna be. You can probably find hints about secondary or at least the gist of the secondary around the web. Also check last years thread there could be some good advice.

Good luck

Tossing my application in. I would absolutely love to live in New Orleans for 4 years and there emphasis on rural/underserved populations is right up my alley, but given how many applications they get it seems I am not the only one.

During student interviews, I was never really impressed when someone talked about how much they loved New Orleans, but they had never visited prior to the interview and had just flown in at 9 the night before. If possible, come down on vacation, or a day before the interview. New Orleans is different; you don't want to end up going somewhere so connected to the city when you can barely tolerate the city.

Reactions: 4 users
Pro tip: If you have a Friday interview, fly in Wednesday night and stay the weekend, if at all possible. Likewise, fly in Friday night for a Monday interview if you can swing it.

We schedule our interviews next to the weekend for a reason. You are going to be asked what you've done / what your plans are in New Orleans during the interview. There is a big and important line on our interviewee evaluations that asks us how much the candidate is familiar with New Orleans, and you do NOT want a bad score there.

Reactions: 1 users
Pro tip: If you have a Friday interview, fly in Wednesday night and stay the weekend, if at all possible. Likewise, fly in Friday night for a Monday interview if you can swing it.

We schedule our interviews next to the weekend for a reason. You are going to be asked what you've done / what your plans are in New Orleans during the interview. There is a big and important line on our interviewee evaluations that asks us how much the candidate is familiar with New Orleans, and you do NOT want a bad score there.

What do you suggest to do in New Orleans?

Secondary questions for this cycle:

Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine:
Word Count 150

List any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held during college:
Word Count 100

Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests:
Word Count 150

Good luck, everyone!

Also potentially:
What have you been pursuing since you graduated? (150 words)

Are you currently volunteering or have you volunteered abroad? Please give a short description (100 words)

Are you participating or have you participated in a study abroad program at your university? (100 words)

Are you currently working or have worked for one of the following organizations? Americorps, Peace Corps, TFA. Please describe your work if you have worked or currently working with one of the organizations (100 words)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else having issues with the payment? Its says I paid on my bank account but their website says I haven't paid?

Anyone else having issues with the payment? Its says I paid on my bank account but their website says I haven't paid?

I have the same exact issue. I'm thinking there's some time lag between processing and receiving it. just dont try and paying again. the secondary is already $125.

I have the same exact issue. I'm thinking there's some time lag between processing and receiving it. just dont try and paying again. the secondary is already $125.
Haha yeah. My most expensive secondary. Hopefully worth it since its one of my top 5 choices

+1 to the payment lag. It shows in my bank account as well, but it won't let me submit the secondary until it the website shows it as paid. I imagine no one else has been able to actually submit it either. Correct?

Oakland has a similar setup and you had to click something to make it go through. I assume the same may be the case for Tulane. So how to fix that?

for the "Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests" question, did y'all do an actual list, a list with like a sentence description for each, or a paragraph?

for the "Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests" question, did y'all do an actual list, a list with like a sentence description for each, or a paragraph?
Mine is a list because I believe they are fairly self-explanatory.

So if the secondary app says LORs not received, this just means AAMC is lagging, right?

Anyone else having a issue with not being able to submit the fee at all anymore?

It says something about payment issues?

So whenever I answer no to "are you applying to the early decision program?" then I finish that section and mark it as complete but then when I go back to that section the question is unanswered again??? Anyone else having issues with this? Any suggestions? Email the school?

So whenever I answer no to "are you applying to the early decision program?" then I finish that section and mark it as complete but then when I go back to that section the question is unanswered again??? Anyone else having issues with this? Any suggestions? Email the school?
+1

yea it's glitched. i emailed them about that.

Got my secondary! (I'm gonna have to change my spam settings lol) Verified 6/5.

Can anyone give me some input into the questions about describing your study abroad experience and volunteer abroad experience. The word limit is 100 words for people who haven't seen it yet, but I feel like I am saying EXACTLY what I said on my AMCAS; how could I potentially say something different in such a little space? I feel like the question is asking me more about the logistics (i.e. I studied (theoretically) in Mexico from June to August through this program and took this course etc etc). For someone like me who's studied in more than one country and one program, I also feel like those 100 words would only be logistical issues and not sound meaningful whatsoever. What do other people think?

Last edited:
Can anyone give me some input into the questions about describing your study abroad experience and volunteer abroad experience. The word limit is 100 words for people who haven't seen it yet, but I feel like I am saying EXACTLY what I said on my AMCAS; how could I potentially say something different in such a little space? I feel like the question is asking me more about the logistics (i.e. I studied (theoretically) in Mexico from June to August through this program and took this course etc etc). For someone like me who's studied in more than one country and one program, I also feel like those 100 words would only be logistical issues and not sound meaningful whatsoever. What do other people think?
Yeah it was hard to get across a whole lot of meaning (I too had several experiences to describe w/in the 100 words). I tried to treat it like a resume -- active language, succinct descriptions of what I did, etc. I figure if they want to read about me really reflecting on those experiences they'll look at my primary (I hope).

Has anyone else not received a secondary yet? I was verified 6/16.

I haven't received a secondary yet either. Verified 6/9

That's weird you guys didn't. I was verified 6/10. Maybe my stats are higher? 34/3.8 I got the Tulane secondary first thing this morning though so it's probably just processing stuff on their end/sending it out in batches etc. You guys should of course not worry! (I hope!)

Yeah it was hard to get across a whole lot of meaning (I too had several experiences to describe w/in the 100 words). I tried to treat it like a resume -- active language, succinct descriptions of what I did, etc. I figure if they want to read about me really reflecting on those experiences they'll look at my primary (I hope).

Basically what I am currently doing. Keeping it short and sweet. Trying to play on that whole "less is more" thing.

Also, got the secondary today. Have pretty average stats.

Anyone else have FAP here? My payment page shows $62.50. However, it also states on the same page that Tulane waives the fee. Is it only a fee reduction?

No secondary for me yet, either. My father suggested that perhaps they are sending them to people in alphabetical order? (My friend who also applied received one, and her last name begins with an A. I'm an I.)

If they want us to discuss leadership positions in college, is it okay to discuss things like TAing and tutoring? I wasn't involved in any clubs, and certainly not in a leadership position, per se.

Good luck everybody!

Hey guys. Does anyone know how hard the 31 MCAT requirement is? Is it a true no one under 31 need apply or It depends on whatever other good things you have to offer? Also what effect does Americorp service in New Orleans have at this school?

No secondary for me yet, either. My father suggested that perhaps they are sending them to people in alphabetical order? (My friend who also applied received one, and her last name begins with an A. I'm an I.)

If they want us to discuss leadership positions in college, is it okay to discuss things like TAing and tutoring? I wasn't involved in any clubs, and certainly not in a leadership position, per se.

Good luck everybody!

i don't think it's alphabetical because i'm in the second half of the alphabet and i received the secondary around mid-day yesterday

i don't think it's alphabetical because i'm in the second half of the alphabet and i received the secondary around mid-day yesterday

Hmm... well, I guess they just don't like me. ;)

Hey guys. Does anyone know how hard the 31 MCAT requirement is? Is it a true no one under 31 need apply or It depends on whatever other good things you have to offer? Also what effect does Americorp service in New Orleans have at this school?
It is a fact that below 31 MCAT will still be considered for an interview this year. If you think you have something significant to contribute to the student body, by all means apply. While I am not on the admissions committee, I have several friends who are and they assured me directly and repeatedly that there is no automatic cutoff MCAT score for the 2014 season.

Americorps service anywhere adds significantly to your application. It is absurd how many students here have americorps / peace corps / teach for America experience. Again, this is just a personal observation, but those kinds of experiences must really improve your fit here. In years past it also bought you a discount on the sky-high secondary fees; not sure if that is still in effect this year.

Does having such an experience in New Orleans itself really add anything extra? It might a little, because it combines service and nexus, but it is easy enough to do service where it is convenient for you and then demonstrate New Orleans enthusiasm via other channels. A buddy of mine flew in a week before his interview and did some service project in one of our run down neighborhoods- he was still rejected, so it isn't like local service is a secret back door to admission.

It is a fact that below 31 MCAT will still be considered for an interview this year. If you think you have something significant to contribute to the student body, by all means apply. While I am not on the admissions committee, I have several friends who are and they assured me directly and repeatedly that there is no automatic cutoff MCAT score for the 2014 season.

Americorps service anywhere adds significantly to your application. It is absurd how many students here have americorps / peace corps / teach for America experience. Again, this is just a personal observation, but those kinds of experiences must really improve your fit here. In years past it also bought you a discount on the sky-high secondary fees; not sure if that is still in effect this year.

Does having such an experience in New Orleans itself really add anything extra? It might a little, because it combines service and nexus, but it is easy enough to do service where it is convenient for you and then demonstrate New Orleans enthusiasm via other channels. A buddy of mine flew in a week before his interview and did some service project in one of our run down neighborhoods- he was still rejected, so it isn't like local service is a secret back door to admission.
Awesome. Thanks

They're having a few issues with secondary applications right now which is why they're probably not sending it out I'd reckon to more students (aka they don't want more emails coming in about "fix this please!"). The application can't be submitted until Monday at the earliest right now because they are having too many payment issues as an FYI.

I see that Tulane requires three LORs (2 science, 1 of your choice); however, I am not finding any information about additional letters. Does anyone know if they take extras or are they strict about just three?

Awesome. Thanks
To plus one this post. As a your guide one of the things the like us to emphasize is how we won an award a few years ago for service. Likewise you have a required 50 hours of two years to do. Tulane likes to project an image of a socially conscious institution and is well aware of the challenges in New Orleans. Again, echoing what sazerac said, tons of people do long term service commitment a before coming. Not a requirement but I think here more than anywhere else americorps/peace corps/ TFA can help smooth over some deficiencies in your app. I would suggest that you get actively involved in some sort of volunteerism. Because it is good to volunteer and it can only help your application here. (It doesn't need to be americorps intense).

I see that Tulane requires three LORs (2 science, 1 of your choice); however, I am not finding any information about additional letters. Does anyone know if they take extras or are they strict about just three?

The prospective student FAQ on their website states a maximum of three letters.

Is anyone else's secondary site down?

Submitted Tulane secondary today! Verified 6/5. I think they're still sending out secondaries since a LOT of people apply here, so y'all shouldn't worry too much.