-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
II today!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
...I think with a name like Johnny Reb, you don't need to tell us you're a Virginian! 😉II this AM! My first! IS applicant, sGPA 3.99, 31
x
Last edited:
How late is 10/30 considered for an interview here? Wondering if my chances are significantly lower and how much the rolling admission matters... Earliest spot for me was early october when I checked this morning, had to figure out some traveling plans and now the earliest is 10/30 🙁
They interview pretty late. I submitted 7/2 and received an II like 7/29ish but only was able to select January and February dates (unless my phone messed that up haha). I wouldn't be overly concerned. Usually I schedule the earliest opening and then figure out traveling plans... Have seen his happen to quite a few friends so book ASAP!
If URM. Otherwise that seems on the low side.
Not URM, but got a 30 on my retake! I think I'm going to go ahead and apply
Not URM, but got a 30 on my retake! I think I'm going to go ahead and apply
VCU does have higher standards for OOS students. If your ECs are extraordinary (they really really like students with a lot of clinical experience under their belt), then you could especially if you can write a strong essay.
VCU does have higher standards for OOS students. If your ECs are extraordinary (they really really like students with a lot of clinical experience under their belt), then you could especially if you can write a strong essay.
Thanks for the info! I have over 700 hours as an ER scribe to go along with hospital volunteering, teaching assistant, research, etc. I'm hoping that would make up for my average stats. Also, if that's the correct secondary on the first page, I think I can right a strong essay.
Thanks for the info! I have over 700 hours as an ER scribe to go along with hospital volunteering, teaching assistant, research, etc. I'm hoping that would make up for my average stats. Also, if that's the correct secondary on the first page, I think I can right a strong essay.
VCU allegedly has a 43% for non-resident matriculants so it shouldn't hurt to apply. If you really love VCU, then go ahead since not applying means you 100% do not have a chance. Good luck!
VCU allegedly has a 43% for non-resident matriculants so it shouldn't hurt to apply. If you really love VCU, then go ahead since not applying means you 100% do not have a chance. Good luck!
Awesome, going to add it to AMCAS tonight. A doctor I scribed with told be great things about VCU so it's at the top of my OOS school list!
Awesome, going to add it to AMCAS tonight. A doctor I scribed with told be great things about VCU so it's at the top of my OOS school list!
Great! They do screen before sending secondaries, but hopefully that process will go quickly. At least it gives you time to pre-write!
I attended one of their open houses, which was such a great experience. It was very informative and enjoyable despite the fact that the medical students giving a tour got us locked in the stairwell of the hospital haha. Needless to say, we did not get to see everything!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anybody remember what the character limit was for the secondary prompt? I haven't received a secondary yet, but I plan to start pre-writing today.
2000 characters with spaces.
Great! They do screen before sending secondaries, but hopefully that process will go quickly. At least it gives you time to pre-write!
I attended one of their open houses, which was such a great experience. It was very informative and enjoyable despite the fact that the medical students giving a tour got us locked in the stairwell of the hospital haha. Needless to say, we did not get to see everything!
Haha sounds like a pretty exciting tour!
Btw, when they screen, do they look at just the stats or primary app as well?
This will definitely make up for average stats, VCU does really value those experiences. However, you can't be too low on the MCAT or GPA side of things either.Thanks for the info! I have over 700 hours as an ER scribe to go along with hospital volunteering, teaching assistant, research, etc. I'm hoping that would make up for my average stats. Also, if that's the correct secondary on the first page, I think I can right a strong essay.
It's more like 50% IS 50% OS. So very out of state friendly!VCU allegedly has a 43% for non-resident matriculants so it shouldn't hurt to apply. If you really love VCU, then go ahead since not applying means you 100% do not have a chance. Good luck!
I was complete 7/23 and still no new updates other than in review. Anyone else in same boat?
I was complete 7/23 and still no new updates other than in review. Anyone else in same boat?
Complete 7/18... nada
Complete since 7/10 and nothing.. It's officially been 2 months..
stupidly waited to even open their initial email so i could pre-write their secondary along with all my other ones, not knowing they screened AFTER that, so now i'm waiting to get the secondary back. how long does this usually take?
So we've basically decided in meanings for all the status updates, but what does not getting an update mean at VCU? Others have been rejected so you would assume if they looked at our apps and didn't like it they would reject us? But if they looked at out apps and did like us then we would get a status change? Complete 7/9 and just bored...
Got a status update...and now I'm back at the original complete status.


I had a status update but is just said that they would review my application. That was my status before. I was complete around the same time as you.I was complete 7/23 and still no new updates other than in review. Anyone else in same boat?
+1I had a status update but is just said that they would review my application. That was my status before. I was complete around the same time as you.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any concensus on if a "very" status warrants an II, and if so how long it usually takes?
I've been under "very" interested since 7/30... the moral of the story: don't read into these statuses too much. 😉
Yes, they do. In general they tend to update statuses around 6:30 pm EDT but there have been some updates at other times.Do they email you guys when you get a status update with a very, may, etc?
Yes, they do. In general they tend to update statuses around 6:30 pm EDT but there have been some updates at other times.
To you and others who've received May, Further, and Very updates:
About how long after ya'll received the "complete, sent to admissions committee for review" email/update did you guys receive these more important updates? A few days or more like weeks?
Thanks!
For me it was a month less one day between getting the complete and the further status. End of July and and of August, to be more precise. So be prepared for a bit of wait.To you and others who've received May, Further, and Very updates:
About how long after ya'll received the "complete, sent to admissions committee for review" email/update did you guys receive these more important updates? A few days or more like weeks?
Thanks!
To you and others who've received May, Further, and Very updates:
About how long after ya'll received the "complete, sent to admissions committee for review" email/update did you guys receive these more important updates? A few days or more like weeks?
Thanks!
I was complete 7/11 I think, got MAY on 8/28, got II on 9/5.
I was complete on 7/9. On 8/15 I got a status update saying my review was complete and my app had been forwarded for a decision. On 8/17 I got another status update and my status reverted to the previous one just saying that my application was complete and would be reviewed soon. I haven't heard anything else since then. Has anyone else had anything similar happen?
I got mine at 9:30am ESTDumb question, but have you guys all been getting your update emails at 6:30pm?
Complete since 7/18. Still have the "Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application" status. Anyone else in the same boat? 🙁
Complete since 7/18. Still have the "Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application" status. Anyone else in the same boat? 🙁
Same boat since 7/11
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Complete since 7/18. Still have the "Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application" status. Anyone else in the same boat? 🙁
Same status and complete date.
got a status update at 10:50am today (I guess the 6:30pm updates are no longer the only time for updates?) saying that the committee has met to discuss my file (I already interviewed a couple weeks ago) and that my file will be placed on hold until a later date to take action and then it lists the four decision dates. anyone else get this status? any early decision people get acceptances yet?