You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted yesterday via early decision! Best of luck to everyone else!
Before I scheduled my interview, I read on the portal instructions for possibly touring the Inova campus. Now that I have scheduled my interview, I can't find that information anywhere. I should have written it down 🙁
I'd rather not bother admissions unless I have to, so does anyone know what it said? Thanks!
I'd rather not bother admissions unless I have to, so does anyone know what it said? Thanks!
Before I scheduled my interview, I read on the portal instructions for possibly touring the Inova campus. Now that I have scheduled my interview, I can't find that information anywhere. I should have written it down 🙁
I'd rather not bother admissions unless I have to, so does anyone know what it said? Thanks!
Email Dr. Emily Marko - [email protected]
I was under review but went back to the original file complete status yesterday. Weird...
+1 I got all excited by the email from VCU for an actual status change (been complete since some time in July) only to be disappointed that I had reverted back.I was under review but went back to the original file complete status yesterday. Weird...
was it via status update or did you receive a phone call?Accepted yesterday via early decision! Best of luck to everyone else!
was it via status update or did you receive a phone call?
Status update!
It varies day to day - my day there were like 15 applicants, the day before they had 1.how many applicants interview per day at vcu? just curious..
Just got the "further" status. I was complete 7/30.
the day before they had 1.
... as much as I would LOVE an II, I would HATE to be that one person hahaha
OOS with a 29 and 3.93. . . really hope I get an interview. I know my MCAT is weak sauce for an OOS applicant :/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everybody - just got my first M.D. interview at VCU! My stats are 3.82sGPA, 3.67 overall, and a 27 (9/9/9) MCAT which I am NOT proud of. But that goes to show that there is hope to all of you who don't think you have the best stats, just stay confident. My status on their site went from the 'unlikely' (sub-committee) to getting an actual interview, without changing to LIKELY. Anyway, best of luck to everyone. I've got 29 days to prepare for the interview....
That would be terrifying.
It varies day to day - my day there were like 15 applicants, the day before they had 1.
Dumb question, but hopefully someone has the patience to enlighten me-will VCU send an email upon a status update or are status changes only reflected in the secondary application portal?
May status today!!! So excited!
Where is the status update you all are referring to? The file status in the secondary application page? Mine just says complete. So it changes to MAY if I might get an interview and VERY if I'm very likely to get an interview?
Sorry, didn't notice this earlier, but they email you with a status update. It usually is around 6:30 pm but I got mine at 1:15 pm today and other people got theirs in the morning too (10 am I think).Dumb question, but hopefully someone has the patience to enlighten me-will VCU send an email upon a status update or are status changes only reflected in the secondary application portal?
It's right when you log into the site. I guess you have the "Complete" status?Where is the status update you all are referring to? The file status? Mine just says complete. So it changes to MAY if I might get an interview and VERY if I'm very likely to get an interview?
Yeah, it doesn't pop up as soon as I log in though. I have to click on the file status page. I suppose my application hasn't been looked at yet. Thank you for the clarificationIt's right when you log into the site. I guess you have the "Complete" status?
This is really frustratinggggggggggggggg! It's been over 2 months! DAAAAA HELL!!! 




Last edited:
Finally, just received the "Further" status after being complete since 7/09 I believe.
Looking at the proposed depth chart of the statuses, this looks to be the middle of the pack in terms of how "good" the news is, but people with this status have been receiving interviews so there is hope. I am really hoping for an interview here!
Looking at the proposed depth chart of the statuses, this looks to be the middle of the pack in terms of how "good" the news is, but people with this status have been receiving interviews so there is hope. I am really hoping for an interview here!
Does anyone know if they are open to pre-II update letters?
VCU is not open to pre-II update letters. Their website is pretty clear about this!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm also curious about this! Are we supposed to call them directly (because the only contact info we have are their phone numbers --- no emails)?Does anyone know if we should to contact student hosts directly off the contact list they gave us or are we supposed to go through a particular school committee for hosts?
Does anyone know if we should to contact student hosts directly off the contact list they gave us or are we supposed to go through a particular school committee for hosts?
I just contacted a student directly who was extremely nice and helpful. I'm fairly certain that's how we're supposed to sign up for hosting!
Hey everybody - just got my first M.D. interview at VCU! My stats are 3.82sGPA, 3.67 overall, and a 27 (9/9/9) MCAT which I am NOT proud of. But that goes to show that there is hope to all of you who don't think you have the best stats, just stay confident. My status on their site went from the 'unlikely' (sub-committee) to getting an actual interview, without changing to LIKELY. Anyway, best of luck to everyone. I've got 29 days to prepare for the interview....
Very unusual, how were you able to get an interview date so soon? Seems like most people, including myself, found dates only open in January :\
Very unusual, how were you able to get an interview date so soon? Seems like most people, including myself, found dates only open in January :\
Read through this whole thread; it appears that the dates available are different for different applicants, even when they are offered interviews around the same time.
Hey Guys,
As far as I know regarding available interview dates, some people are able to schedule earlier dates just because availability happened to open up at that time. You may have not had an earlier date available either because there isn't as space yet (as this is somewhat dependent on interviewer schedules) and/or someone has rescheduled and now their spot is available. It is not dependent on what "type" of applicant you are, unless you were Early Decision.
As far as I know regarding available interview dates, some people are able to schedule earlier dates just because availability happened to open up at that time. You may have not had an earlier date available either because there isn't as space yet (as this is somewhat dependent on interviewer schedules) and/or someone has rescheduled and now their spot is available. It is not dependent on what "type" of applicant you are, unless you were Early Decision.
hey guys would anyone with a november or december interview date like to switch with my interview at the end of this month? i have a family emergency and would really really appreciate the help. pm me if you can help, thanks!
Last edited:
Just got an interview!! 🙂 No dates available on the site, but I may call tomorrow and ask. For anyone who's gotten an interview recently, are there any spots available this year?
Just got an interview!! 🙂 No dates available on the site, but I may call tomorrow and ask. For anyone who's gotten an interview recently, are there any spots available this year?
Has anyone gotten an II long after they received their status? I've been sitting on my "further" status for a month.
Surely they can't be done sending out II's.Just got an interview!! 🙂 No dates available on the site, but I may call tomorrow and ask. For anyone who's gotten an interview recently, are there any spots available this year?
Very unusual, how were you able to get an interview date so soon? Seems like most people, including myself, found dates only open in January :\
Really? Well I was honestly wondering the same thing. I'm an IS applicant which may have helped but I doubt it. I literally went from what I thought was the 'almost rejected' option to a , "congratulations" we'd like to interview you. "Your interview with our school is now scheduled for Oct 14, 2014 8:30a - 9:30a." Perhaps they want to interview me early and get it over with so I can be one more student out of the way of the rest, but I'm trying to think optimistically and tell myself that someone in the sub-committee really liked my profile.
I guess we'll see. Good luck to you Aszyrian and the rest!
I rechecked the portal this morning and they still have many spots in November & December, maybe also one day in October. So it's not over yet for people still waiting!Surely they can't be done sending out II's.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a status update but it just changed the screen with less wording and I'm still being forwarded to the admissions committee. When did this happen for most people? I was complete in July.. I thought!
That happened to me about 8 days after I submitted. Then it switched back to the "Complete" status with more words. Maybe it means they're starting to look at your file?I got a status update but it just changed the screen with less wording and I'm still being forwarded to the admissions committee. When did this happen for most people? I was complete in July.. I thought!
I did. I was told most applicants get a status update around 6-8 weeks after submitting their secondary applications.Has anyone tried giving VCU a call? It's been over 2 months and I am considering doing that.
Has anyone that was complete around 8/14 been given a status update, or are they still in the July applications? I'd prefer to not read 27 pages of posts, although I'm sure the answer has already been posted.