2015-2016 Indiana University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yo guys. MS1 here. Went through this whole awful but exciting application process last year. Idk if I can help anyone but feel free to PM me or ask me questions on here and I can try to help out as best as I can.

Members don't see this ad.

Yo guys. MS1 here. Went through this whole awful but exciting application process last year. Idk if I can help anyone but feel free to PM me or ask me questions on here and I can try to help out as best as I can.
Thanks for your help! How is it determined which campus you end up at?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your help! How is it determined which campus you end up at?
If you do early decision and get accepted then you can just choose. If you don't do early decision...if you get accepted you will gain access to an online portal where be able to rank the locations by your preference and then you will find out where you are placed sometime in April after they have completed all interviews and have accepted their class size (I believe this process is random and they just use a computer simulation and some ppl get their top choice and some ppl don't....a lot of ppl put Indy as their top choice so if you put a satellite campus as your top then you'll probably get it). They're pretty good about placing everyone at 1 of their top 2 choices...I was placed at my second choice. If you receive a scholarship then that process will happen sooner and you'll find out like a month early and probably get your top location. If you get wait listed and are then accepted over the summer you don't get a say in your location and will be placed at a satellite campus(not Indianapolis)... IU can be frustrating...I have many friends who interviewed at IU in the fall and didn't hear anything until April....no one gets wait listed or rejected until April, after they interview everyone...if you interview in the fall and don't hear anything after a month or 2, then that is a bad sign that you're either going to be waitlisted or rejected but you won't know for sure until April...of course you can theoretically get accepted 4 months later in February or something but that's not likely.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for you help with that last question. While we're at it, I do have a question about how IU does the clinical years...is the default destination being in Indianapolis, and you can elect to do the branch campuses for your rotations? Or is it the other way around? I really do appreciate your help because there's very little info about this stuff online and there are so many different websites for each campus and the website is so slow haha

Thanks so much for you help with that last question. While we're at it, I do have a question about how IU does the clinical years...is the default destination being in Indianapolis, and you can elect to do the branch campuses for your rotations? Or is it the other way around? I really do appreciate your help because there's very little info about this stuff online and there are so many different websites for each campus and the website is so slow haha
So if you go to a satellite campus for the first 2 years, then you can either do the final 2 at the campus in indianapolis or at your satellite campus...it's completely up to you. Most people end up at indy for years 3 and 4. But I am pretty sure all regional campuses offer 4 year programs but I could be mistaken....most of them definitely do offer 4 years though....you'll find out that those campuses all differ by quite a bit....for example gary, south bend, and muncie all have block curriculums and the other campuses have traditional curriculums...which obviously is a huge difference. A block curriculum was a must for me....so if you do get accepted you'll have to figure out what you are willing to sacrifice when you rank the locations...for me, block curriculum at a regional campus and then indy for rotations is ideal. Anyways, at some point though you will have to do some rotations in Indianapolis because only Indianapolis has the resources for certain rotations but I am not sure about the specifics behind that. I am also unsure about whether you can for instance....go to Indianapolis for 2 years and then transfer to a regional campus or whether you can do 2 years at one regional campuses and then 2 at another.....but I would imagine that can be arranged if the regional campus offers 3rd and 4th years...but that is a blind guess. My plan is to go to indy for years 3 and 4 because that is where all the action is, so I haven't looked into other options very much.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So if you go to a satellite campus for the first 2 years, then you can either do the final 2 at the campus in indianapolis or at your satellite campus...it's completely up to you. Most people end up at indy for years 3 and 4. But I am pretty sure all regional campuses offer 4 year programs but I could be mistaken....most of them definitely do offer 4 years though....you'll find out that those campuses all differ by quite a bit....for example gary, south bend, and muncie all have block curriculums and the other campuses have traditional curriculums...which obviously is a huge difference. A block curriculum was a must for me....so if you do get accepted you'll have to figure out what you are willing to sacrifice when you rank the locations...for me, block curriculum at a regional campus and then indy for rotations is ideal. Anyways, at some point though you will have to do some rotations in Indianapolis because only Indianapolis has the resources for certain rotations but I am not sure about the specifics behind that. I am also unsure about whether you can for instance....go to Indianapolis for 2 years and then transfer to a regional campus or whether you can do 2 years at one regional campuses and then 2 at another.....but I would imagine that can be arranged if the regional campus offers 3rd and 4th years...but that is a blind guess. My plan is to go to indy for years 3 and 4 because that is where all the action is, so I haven't looked into other options very much.
Thank you so much for your response! The notion I got from people I know at IU is that most people end up in Indy for 3/4 but I wasn't sure if it was everyone had to do it, you know? And yeah it's amazing how different each satellite campus is...

So we are all patiently waiting for Indiana to get this party rolling?? Nothing since the first email way back at the beginning of July.

So we are all patiently waiting for Indiana to get this party rolling?? Nothing since the first email way back at the beginning of July.
Hehe yeah I think the admissions season for IU is one of the longer ones, so hold on tight haha

They are very notorious for favoring in state applications. Something about that in-state D, that just makes them go ga ga.

They are very notorious for favoring in state applications. Something about that in-state D, that just makes them go ga ga.
I mean they ARE the only MD school in the state for a class of 300+ haha...

Still no secondary either. OOS, no idea why I applied here. (Probably cuz no secondary + high rate of accepted interviewees)

Members don't see this ad :)
Right. It's not really even a secondary, it's just an interview invitation and they just have you fill out some information with it too. It's the end of July, I wouldn't be worrying at all if you haven't got a II yet.... Timeline for me was

Primary application submitted in Sept.
II in January
Interviewed in Feb
Accepted in March

Right. It's not really even a secondary, it's just an interview invitation and they just have you fill out some information with it too. It's the end of July, I wouldn't be worrying at all if you haven't got a II yet.... Timeline for me was

Primary application submitted in Sept.
II in January
Interviewed in Feb
Accepted in March

Only reason i'm getting antsy is, the first II went out on July 30 for their MD/PhD program, last cycle.

But ofc I can't expect to be at the front of interviews with my lizzy M of 73

Only reason i'm getting antsy is, the first II went out on July 30 for their MD/PhD program, last cycle.

I dont know if you realize this, but making comments insinuating that your LizzyM score of a 73 is somehow deficient makes people like me with a LizzyM of 67 feel pretty bad.

We both know that a 73 LizzyM is very high. Excessive Modesty is not a good thing.

Sorry Gandy! I really didn't realize that. For MD/PhD, everyone says numbers above 75+ (I haven't seen anyone with a GPA as low as mine applying for MD/PhD) which is why I said that

Also remember that this year the whole process was shifted back a week, i.e. the first transmission of data from AMCAS happened on July 1 instead of last week of June to accommodate the people getting the May 22 MCAT scores

I think the comment is valid for MD/PhD. Good luck! If I had a LizzyM that high I would go for it too!

just got an email about supplemental materials, anyone else? I know people have said IU only asks for those for their II candidates so I'm kind of confused

never mind just got the official II invite a minute later! so excited

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats! Can you let us know the dates that they are starting to interview (at least a ball park)?

the email says they'll inform us by email about 4 weeks before our interview date

the email says they'll inform us by email about 4 weeks before our interview date
OMG they STILL aren't giving interview dates?? Jeez, they're moving so slowly. I just saw my PCP whose son just finished at IU and when I told her I've already gotten II's at all these places but nothing yet from IU she was really surprised they were dragging it out so long.

OMG they STILL aren't giving interview dates?? Jeez, they're moving so slowly. I just saw my PCP whose son just finished at IU and when I told her I've already gotten II's at all these places but nothing yet from IU she was really surprised they were dragging it out so long.

Last year they gave me my interview date two weeks before I was supposed to be there. They definitely move slowly. Sit tight fellow panda!

I am IS as well and just got my invitation to interview today. Did anyone have any problem with their Online Graduation Application? Mine was a little bit weird. It didn't let me enter my new Mcat score because it was three digits instead of the old one, so I just entered the last two digits don't know if that will affect it too much.

I am IS as well and just got my invitation to interview today. Did anyone have any problem with their Online Graduation Application? Mine was a little bit weird. It didn't let me enter my new Mcat score because it was three digits instead of the old one, so I just entered the last two digits don't know if that will affect it too much.

I had a problem with the "When do you wish to enroll in classes?" question. Fall 2016 is not an option. I am going to ask about it tomorrow. Also do we really have to "have the testing agency send scores directly to IUPUI?"

I had a problem with the "When do you wish to enroll in classes?" question. Fall 2016 is not an option. I am going to ask about it tomorrow. Also do we really have to "have the testing agency send scores directly to IUPUI?"
Yes I had that problem too. I just put the fall 2015 assuming that it is the fall they are interested in and not spring. I e-mailed them hoping they would have a reply soon.

It sounds like they sent you last year's application (no spot for new MCAT and no 2016 option)...

It sounds like they sent you last year's application (no spot for new MCAT and no 2016 option)...

Gosh I hope they would fix it somehow but I already submitted it. I don't know how that will affect it? Will I have to reapply?

Gosh I hope they would fix it somehow but I already submitted it. I don't know how that will affect it? Will I have to reapply?
I called just now and she said that they will be updating the application so to check later in the day. However, she also said that the school should understand if you chose "Fall 2015." I would not worry about it.

+1... Yikes. First one, but my other II really made that sting less.

rejected here. OOS

No news is good news...
...my new attitude in regard to applications :shrug:

//long sighhh
5th rejection, no II's.... Gonna stay positive though! Still early in the game! :)

Rejected today, OOS

LizzyM was 70, I'll just say my ECs and upbringing are rather unique, but I was expecting rejections at some point. So it begins lol

Also live close to Indiana, that didn't help apparently :p

are they rejecting pre or post secondary

I assume there is still a second fee to be submitted instead of a secondary though?

I'm considering adding this school but are they rejecting OOS people before or after they pay this fee, just out of curiosity?

I assume there is still a second fee to be submitted instead of a secondary though?

I'm considering adding this school but are they rejecting OOS people before or after they pay this fee, just out of curiosity?

no secondary fee.