2015-2016 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you who have had an interview at MSU, do they take the time to go over the new curriculum in depth at some point during the interview day?

Yes, they go over the new curriculum in depth.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, do they send another email about the time of the interview? I see a sample agenda online, but do not have a start time for the day provided any where else.
They should send you an email with the start time sometime soon before your interview.. if not, just give them a call.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received an II on Tuesday! LizzyM 72, IS.

Reactions: 1 users
II on Tuesday as well

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just curious if anyone placed on hold for comparison heard anything new from them...o_O

Still no word, forwarded for preliminary review on 8/28.. anyone with a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected, womp womp. Forward for review late August, did not hear a peep since then.

Good luck all!

EDIT: OOS.

Last edited:
Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know the acceptance rate after an interview?

Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know the acceptance rate after an interview?

According to MSAR, about 40% for instate, 24% for out of state.

(Interesting side note, just over 3 times as many OOS applicants as IS)

I'm not missing a "submit" button somewhere on the "interview" tab for my interview, am I? I finished all the paper work needed to be completed before the interview, but don't see a way to do any more than upload it.

I'm not missing a "submit" button somewhere on the "interview" tab for my interview, am I? I finished all the paper work needed to be completed before the interview, but don't see a way to do any more than upload it.
All you have to do is upload it. Bring a copy with you just in case. Hope all goes well!

Anyone send in updates on the waitlist? Is there a certain time we can send them in for msuchm

My application status used to be "on hold for comparison to a larger applicant pool," but I just checked again and now it only says "Forwarded for preliminary review" and the hold status is gone. Does this mean I've been rejected?

Regarding the prereq paperwork that gets filled out prior to the II, do they look at those grades specifically, or just a check to make sure they're done.

I am a non traditional, and the anatomy and physiology classes that I took were 200 level, will those be accepted for upper division bio requirements? (The paperwork wording is "usually junior or senior level") I also took a 400 level biochem, but got a B-, so I'd rather put the A's from the A & P classes I took. Just wondering if anyone else has knowledge about these things. I am waiting to hear back from the admissions office for more info as well.

Thanks.

Regarding the prereq paperwork that gets filled out prior to the II, do they look at those grades specifically, or just a check to make sure they're done.

I am a non traditional, and the anatomy and physiology classes that I took were 200 level, will those be accepted for upper division bio requirements? (The paperwork wording is "usually junior or senior level") I also took a 400 level biochem, but got a B-, so I'd rather put the A's from the A & P classes I took. Just wondering if anyone else has knowledge about these things. I am waiting to hear back from the admissions office for more info as well.

Thanks.

Let us know what they say! I was curious about that as well, being nontraditional with a similar situation. I figured that they looked at my classes already, before determining if I was eligible for an interview... and thus explained my classes on the forms. Curious what they will tell you though. :)

My application status used to be "on hold for comparison to a larger applicant pool," but I just checked again and now it only says "Forwarded for preliminary review" and the hold status is gone. Does this mean I've been rejected?
I just checked mine, and it says the same thing. Do you think they might have opened our files to reassess our application???

I just checked mine, and it says the same thing. Do you think they might have opened our files to reassess our application???

Let's hope so! Maybe we'll get an II this week!

Let us know what they say! I was curious about that as well, being nontraditional with a similar situation. I figured that they looked at my classes already, before determining if I was eligible for an interview... and thus explained my classes on the forms. Curious what they will tell you though. :)

I'm hoping to hear back tomorrow, and will update accordingly. Did you end up submitting 200 level classes for the upper division bio?
When's your interview?

I'm hoping to hear back tomorrow, and will update accordingly. Did you end up submitting 200 level classes for the upper division bio?
When's your interview?

I did, but my 200 level CC classes transfer to MSU as upper division level, which I explained in that box at the end of the form.

Interview in GR on March 4. I'm quite excited!

Also a member of the "recently taken off of hold" club. I'll keep you guys posted on news but since I didn't get a single MD interview I'm not holding my breath.

I did, but my 200 level CC classes transfer to MSU as upper division level, which I explained in that box at the end of the form.

Interview in GR on March 4. I'm quite excited!

Talked to admissions (while I was half asleep thanks to night shift), and she communicated that the "upper level" was a suggestion. I told her the classes were 200 level anatomy and physiology classes, and she said those would be fine.

Good luck at your interview!

Talked to admissions (while I was half asleep thanks to night shift), and she communicated that the "upper level" was a suggestion. I told her the classes were 200 level anatomy and physiology classes, and she said those would be fine.

Good luck at your interview!

Awesome, thank you! Best of luck to you as well! My interview is March 4, by the way. :)

Also a member of the "recently taken off of hold" club. I'll keep you guys posted on news but since I didn't get a single MD interview I'm not holding my breath.

I've just been obsessively checking my email

Officially got my full acceptance today after the background check!

I'm sorry if this has been discussed at length before, but does anyone have any extra info about the new curriculum? I read their website but I don't understand how someone in this curriculum learns the typical things medical students learn from lecture slides by going to a clinic and talking about it in a group during M1 and M2. Things like histology, pathology, anatomy and physiology, etc. Seems like a cool curriculum otherwise. Maybe I'm missing something?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed at length before, but does anyone have any extra info about the new curriculum? I read their website but I don't understand how someone in this curriculum learns the typical things medical students learn from lecture slides by going to a clinic and talking about it in a group during M1 and M2. Things like histology, pathology, anatomy and physiology, etc. Seems like a cool curriculum otherwise. Maybe I'm missing something?

I second this question! I'm hoping they will go into this at length at the second look day

So I was rejected pre interview (3.6/31)

Does anyone know if MSU allows you to call admissions and they can give you advice on how to improve your application?

Recommended for ABLE today. Hopefully I'll be starting in the fall with some of you that were also recommended. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Recommended for ABLE today. Hopefully I'll be starting in the fall with some of you that were also recommended. Good luck!

Also interviewed on 1/29...did you get an email or did you just check the portal?

So I was rejected pre interview (3.6/31)

Does anyone know if MSU allows you to call admissions and they can give you advice on how to improve your application?

"While we cannot offer specifics about why you were not accepted to CHM, there are steps you can take to become more competitive if you intend to reapply to our college in the future. If you anticipate being a re-applicant, we encourage you to carefully review and evaluate your application by following the procedure outlined in the Self-Assessment Guide section of thePremedical Handbook and Self-Assessment Guide. We advise that you initiate your plans for improvement as soon as possible.

Unsuccessful applicants may complete and submit the Self-Assessment Guide for review. Feedback is available for unsuccessful applicants who:

1. Have completed and submitted their Self-Assessment Guide
2. Have been rejected from all other schools, and
3. Have not yet submitted the AMCAS application for the next application cycle

Once the above criteria are met, you may submit your completed Self-Assessment Guide to us by email attachment, fax at (517) 432-0021 or by mail.
"

I feel silly asking, but for the premedical course requirements should I use the AMCAS grades or the grades on my original transcript/

Does anyone know when the Second Look Day will be? Or when they will let us know?