2015-2016 Texas A&M Health Science Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Matched at TCOM, but really hoping to get in here!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
For anyone who did not match, DO NOT lose hope! If there is any school to waitlist at in Texas, this school is it. There is a ton of waitlist movement at this school from now all the way until June 1st or so.

I got in off the waitlist last cycle on May 19th as a reapplicant. At the beginning, I was pretty upset and checked my email constantly for updates. The best thing to do is not do that. If you want to get into med school bad enough, you will. Continue to stay positive and work on improving your application in the off chance you do not get in off the waitlist.

Good luck to all and congrats for making it this far!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have they sent out rejection emails to those who didn't match this morning? And did anyone get waitlist email?

I pre-matched here, and matched another school that I ranked higher. So there's one spot that someone will get! Good luck guys!

IS lol and it's not like he's a terrible applicant or anything, he prematched to UTH.
Thats awesome! I was never implying he was a weak candidate either, heck I'm the weak candidate! I was just asking to see if they had filled up a waitlist.

I haven't heard anything about being waitlisted or rejected from any schools I interviewed at. Should I just assume rejection?

Definitely not @njain546, wait for the schools to contact us regarding waitlist or rejection :). As others have said before coming off of a waitlist is a definite possibility and one that I'm really hopeful for as well. It's just waiting game part two and a little bit of prayer mixed in :D. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Thats awesome! I was never implying he was a weak candidate either, heck I'm the weak candidate! I was just asking to see if they had filled up a waitlist.
Oh no, I didn't say you implied it haha, I just wanted to say that he was a good applicant, better than myself actually. So that's why I was worried I may have been rejected too, but I somehow missed the email

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that prematched, have you received any additional info from the school concerning match day? Do you know if they will be mailing a packet to us?
Thanks!

Placed on alternate list!

Is everyone who hasn't matched here placed on the alternate list?

Last edited:
Got the alternate list email today. So how does this work? if we were accepted to another school, and i accepted that offer, does this affect my acceptance at the other school at all?

Rejected OOS post-interview just now.

Didn't get placed on the alternate list :/ so @navigator apparently not :(

HOWEVER, I do want to wish the best of luck to those on the alternate list and hope that you get into whatever school you're hoping for!!!

Last edited:
alternate list lol. As far as I know it seems like it.

Got the alternate list email today. So how does this work? if we were accepted to another school, and i accepted that offer, does this affect my acceptance at the other school at all?

Not one bit. Go ahead and accept the offer. If you would prefer A&M over the acceptance you have, hold on to the wait list and see if it nets you an acceptance! If you do not see yourself going here, the courteous thing to do is to email Ms. Diaz and forfeit your position on the wait list.

Placed on the alternate list. Anyone know how many they select?

I would estimate there are up to 20 of us from the wait list in c/o 2019.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been waitlisted. I really don't want to have to change my username haha. I'm really hoping for some luck here. A&M's been my top choice since day one, especially since I did my undergrad here. Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist, and to those lucky future doc's who've already made it!

Does anyone have an idea as to how many are on the wait list?

And when does the most movement happen? I am guessing in May.

That's just the number of students that matriculated after receiving offers of acceptance from the waitlist. There were probably even more offers made to waitlisted students that were declined! I am optimistic...
I have no stake in this, but just want to say that no matter how you slice it, still only 20 people got accepted off the waitlist. The only thing is that they probably went down beyond the #20 on the list to fill their class. So unless you know your ranking in the waitlist, this isn't much help. Does A&M let people know of their place in the waitlist? I know some schools give the top/middle/bottom ranking to waitlisted applicants.

I have no stake in this, but just want to say that no matter how you slice it, still only 20 people got accepted off the waitlist. The only thing is that they probably went down beyond the #20 on the list to fill their class. So unless you know your ranking in the waitlist, this isn't much help. Does A&M let people know of their place in the waitlist? I know some schools give the top/middle/bottom ranking to waitlisted applicants.

+1. I'd love to know.

I know you can submit updates if you're waitlisted, pretty sure atleast.

As Filo told me last year when I was in the same position, there is no definitive ranking. When someone in the current class withdraws from their acceptance, they search the alternate pool for those who are an apt replacement. They are building a puzzle, and they are trying to find the closest piece to the one that they lost.

As I've told others through PM and otherwise, there's nothing you can really do about this. It is just another waiting game, and it works for some and not for others. I'm not going to give anyone false hope and say their chances are great; they're not. The best thing you can do right now is find ways to come to terms with likely having to apply again, and work towards improving your application and getting it together to blast out of the gates on May 1st. Hopefully you don't have to use it, but that is the best use of your time and worry (Obviously this only applies to those who hold no acceptances; if you do, well...why are you so anxious?).

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone still have a copy of the most recent match list that they gave us at our interview? If someone could post a picture or scanned pdf i would really appreciate it! I lost mine and can't find the match list online anywhere. Thank you.

For those of you who are on the wait list - take a deep breath and relax. I'm a current M1 and I understand how anxiety inducing it can be, especially if its the only waitlist you are on (been through this). Whats done is done, don't check your email 10000 times throughout the day. Work on something else, keep busy. With that being said, I got off the wait list sometime in mid-June. Mid-June. So it's a long while yet, and there is definitely a chance you'll pull through!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
If we plan on submitting extra letters of recommendation, do we just email it to the address provided on the waitlist email? Is it possible to do it through interfolio and send it to the institution?

If we plan on submitting extra letters of recommendation, do we just email it to the address provided on the waitlist email? Is it possible to do it through interfolio and send it to the institution?

I actually called to ask this question... And they said that interfolio was acceptable.

Just curious, what effect does sending an extra letter of recommendation have, if any, when one is on the waitlist?

Just curious, what effect does sending an extra letter of recommendation have, if any, when one is on the waitlist?

If you have the opportunity to send it (I think you do), you should. Any help counts, and when everyone else is getting one sent, you don't want to be the alternate that didn't.

If you have the opportunity to send it (I think you do), you should. Any help counts, and when everyone else is getting one sent, you don't want to be the alternate that didn't.

By the same token, not all recommendations are created equal - if you have excellent ones already, and can at best only get an "okay" one at this point, I think it'd be better to send them a new personal statement/update instead.

Hey, another alternate here! I was wondering if any of you could answer my question regarding this statement:

"After June 1, 2016, no medical school in Texas may offer a position to an applicant on an alternate list already accepted by another medical school in Texas. This is the result of an agreement among Texas A&M HSC College of Medicine, the four UT System medical schools, Texas Tech HSC School of Medicine, Texas Tech HSC Foster School of Medicine El Paso, UNTHSC-Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine and Baylor College of Medicine. Only extraordinary circumstances warrant an exception to this policy. If this should occur, the Dean or Director of Admissions at the school wishing to extend an offer must receive approval from the Dean or Director of Admissions the school where the applicant is holding a position BEFORE the offer is extended."

So, if we are accepted at another Texas school, our application is withdrawn on June 1 from the alternate pool(s) at schools we are waitlisted at, if we haven't gotten off the waitlist yet? How come I have heard of people getting off waitlists at the last minute?

Edit: Also, UTMB's alternate pool email states "Applicants holding more than one acceptance must make a decision about which school they will attend by June 15, 2016. Applicants holding a position at a Texas school will automatically be withdrawn from the alternate pool at this time." Why is their stated date different?

Don't know about UTMBs difference, but this is a collaboration by the schools to not steal students from another school at the last minute. To extend such a late alternate acceptance to someone accepted at another school may result in that school having empty spots.

Basically, if you're on a waitlist and already accepted somewhere, once June comes around you are set. This is good news for those who have no acceptances, as they are the only ones who can receive offers past this point.

@girl.gone.medical from what I gathered, no offers can be extended to applicants already accepted elsewhere after June 1st per the agreement between schools. However, I think that a decision does not need to be made until the 15th of June if you have multiple offers. As far as people getting off the waitlist after that, Nysor was correct in stating that those people hold no offers at a Texas school and can still be offered until much later.