2015-2016 Texas A&M Health Science Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks @dm0005 ! Where did you end up deciding to go? :)and @Command , do you find it easy to take notes using that software? also is that for mac or what?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks @dm0005 ! Where did you end up deciding to go? :)and @Command , do you find it easy to take notes using that software? also is that for mac or what?
Preview for Mac. It's free and already installed

Onenote is more for PCs. It sucks on macs.

Also, a lot of ppl handwrite their notes

OneNote is awesome if you decide to get a Microsoft Surface Pro or Surface Book. They both come with pens and you can actually hand write your notes as well as save documents and hand write or draw on them. I loved OneNote on my Microsoft Surface Pro 3 in undergrad. I will be getting the Surface Book for med school simply because my current Surface Pro 3 doesn't meet the memory requirements or something.

Attachments

• F1SurfacePro_Figure3_hires_s.jpg
    F1SurfacePro_Figure3_hires_s.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 90
Members don't see this ad :)
TTUHSC- El Paso! I loved A&M but El Paso was just a better fir for me!

Yeah OneNote is nice cause you can import the pdf lectures and then type anywhere on them. I like it because you can add screenshots from the recorded lectures. Also you can control+find and search through all your lectures for a specific term because it has OCR.

@Command that sounds amazing! Once I get my bonus from the Air Force, (God willing I get my scholarship), I can get a computer specifically for notes in med school :). @dm005 Congratulations that's awesome! I wish you the best of luck man!

Hey folks! I am a current M1 at TAMHSC . I just wanted to congratulate those of you who have already been accepted and wish those still waiting luck! It has been forever since I have been on SDN, but I'll try to check back a couple times this weekend - feel free to ask any questions you have. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! Was wondering if there are any other veterans that interviewed this cycle? Also if there are any currently studying at TAMHSC.

Hey guys! Was wondering if there are any other veterans that interviewed this cycle? Also if there are any currently studying at TAMHSC.

There are several in the class of 2019.

Are there many Air Force HPSP/Veterans?

I'm a vet. Pre-matched, will see Monday morning if I'm going here or not!

In the class of 2019, I know there are some vets and one Navy HPSP. In my class (2018), there are 3 Navy HPSPs and 2 Air Force HPSPs. There are a couple of M3/M4s as well, but I don't know an exact number for each branch there. Several professors also have former service, including a clinical instructor who is a retired O6 (Captain -Navy) and is an awesome mentor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the responses! I was just wondering how many veterans are typically in each cycle and if I get accepted looking forward to meeting everyone.

Match Day is tomorrow guys!!!! I wanted to take this moment to wish you all the best of luck and for those of us put on wait-list let's not lose hope! WE WILL BE DOCTORS SOMEDAY!

I'm so nervous about tomorrow but I'm really hopeful for going to A&M HSC, and hoping to meet all the veterans/hpsp people! Assuming my physical goes well this thursday I'll get the opportunity to serve the Air Force!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm so nervous about tomorrow but I'm really hopeful for going to A&M HSC, and hoping to meet all the veterans/hpsp people! Assuming my physical goes well this thursday I'll get the opportunity to serve the Air Force!
All the best Aaron!! Rooting for you.

Thanks @texan2414 I hope you get in too! Looking forward to possibly being in the same class

Hey man I'm sure your physical will go fine! I served with a bunch of great guys from the air force while stationed in the Horn of Africa! Best of luck tomorrow hope we are classmates!

Is anybody up right now anticipating Match results possibly being announced at midnight?

Good luck to everyone anticipating Match Day. Hope you all get accepted somewhere. :)

Is anybody up right now anticipating Match results possibly being announced at midnight?

I'm pretty sure the results are announced at 8am :woot::nod::unsure::scared::doctor::eek:

Best of luck to EVERYONE!

Damn I didn't match :/ but best of luck to everyone else!

I didn't match either Is there a way to tell about waitlist?

Has anyone gotten the email saying they were wait listed?

I matched!! so excited! Does anyone know when A&M updates things or sends a conformation email? It still says i am "interviewed" on the A&M portal page

I feel like my interviews were amazing but I think my stats are a bit low so I was suprised to even interview even though I have unique ECs

Just read that the Alternate list isn't made until Feb 15th. So, I guess if you didn't match you have to wait until then to find out if you are waitlisted.

Just read that the Alternate list isn't made until Feb 15th. So, I guess if you didn't match you have to wait until then to find out if you are waitlisted.
O damn... that sucks! Where did you read that?

Nvm thank you for link

Ya I got accepted to St. George a few weeks ago in the Carribean, it was a last resort but now i just want to be a MD

Guess we just need to wait for the status on BAMF to change.
Congrats to everyone that got accepted!
Good luck to those of us still waiting!

To all those who haven't matched thus far: I know it's only been an hour, and this hour seems like the worst one of your life. At least, it did for me. Do not lose hope: the waitlist is a very real possibility, and people do get off of it, and do have amazing careers in medicine coming from bleak acceptances. Keep trying, do not let this stop you.

Ya I got accepted to St. George a few weeks ago in the Carribean, it was a last resort but now i just want to be a MD

Please really deeply consider this. Caribbean schools are like being thrown to sharks, and the chances of US residency aren't great for even the most distinguished Caribbean graduates. Talk to some folks or advisers, and see if maybe trying again isn't a better decision.

To all those who haven't matched thus far: I know it's only been an hour, and this hour seems like the worst one of your life. At least, it did for me. Do not lose hope: the waitlist is a very real possibility, and people do get off of it, and do have amazing careers in medicine coming from bleak acceptances. Keep trying, do not let this stop you.

Please really deeply consider this. Caribbean schools are like being thrown to sharks, and the chances of US residency aren't great for even the most distinguished Caribbean graduates. Talk to some folks or advisers, and see if maybe trying again isn't a better decision.

How long does it take for you to learn you were on the waitlist?

I know it lowers my chances but I'm getting old, did my 6 years of military out of high school followed by 3 years of undergrad and I don't know if I have another year of applying in me. SGU will be my last resort but I need to get started, atleast it's one of the big 4.

Also didn't match. But congrats to everyone who did! Staying optimistic for everyone on the waitlist.

Boooo okay I know my friend got a rejection letter from here (says there's no room on the waitlist for him) but i didn't get to ask him what it says on his bamf. My bamf says interviewed...does that mean I am still able to be on the waitlist? I really want to go here because of location and proximity to family if possible.

Please stop concerning yourself with analyzing what bamf says for you vs other people. It only serves to make you and everybody else more anxious. The portal is EXTREMELY SLOW - much slower than TMDSAS is to update. its possible you portal will not change if accepted till tomorrow. Also reviewed vs under review vs interviewed - means absolutely nothing. TAMHSC waitlist works differently - you are NOT automatically placed - you have to be invited i.e. ranked high enough after you interview that you JUST missed the cutoff for match. Match + Pre-match is just a game of numbers. You will have to send a letter of intent w/ update of grades + respond to any request for additional information...this was information provided to me by an adcom member. And there is a huge waitlist - practically everyone who didn't get matched/prematched and was not rejected is invited to join. TAMHSC waits specifically till Feb 15th (which is unique) b/c they want to rank students who will join the class if invited.

Last edited:
Please stop concerning yourself with analyzing what bamf says for you vs other people. It only serves to make you and everybody else more anxious. The portal is EXTREMELY SLOW - much slower than TMDSAS is to update. its possible you portal will not change if accepted till tomorrow. Also reviewed vs under review vs interviewed - means absolutely nothing. TAMHSC waitlist works differently - you are NOT automatically placed - you have to be invited i.e. ranked high enough after you interview that you JUST missed the cutoff for match. You will have to send a letter of intent w/ update of grades + respond to any request for additional information. That does not mean you as an applicant pester them with constant updates of activities/grades.
That was ....well tactless.

You're right about the portal. Friends of mine were prematched but their portal updated like a week later or something.
About the waitlist, yes it is true that not everyone is placed on the waitlist but there is absolutely no indication WHATSOEVER that you only have to miss the match cut off by whatever points to be placed on the waitlist. No one (except the admissions committee) knows how the waitlist process works so to make waiting candidates even more nervous by speculating on how the process works is just unnecessary.

Also, Ms. Diaz said that they do accept updates if and when you are waitlisted but those are not mandatory. She also categorically said that they will not take post-application grades into consideration for admissions purposes (except if you did a SMP program at UNT).

I know you're trying to inform people but you need to realize that it is incredibly disappointing for many people who don't match. You are compounding their anxiety by telling them they must be within some cutoff range to be invited to a waitlist when you don't know and cant comment on this process at all.

Reactions: 2 users
Boooo okay I know my friend got a rejection letter from here (says there's no room on the waitlist for him) but i didn't get to ask him what it says on his bamf. My bamf says interviewed...does that mean I am still able to be on the waitlist? I really want to go here because of location and proximity to family if possible.
O wow they already sent him a rejection letter? Was that today?

Keep calm everyone :) there are plenty of people in the current class of 2019 that got off the wait list. Don't lose hope!

Reactions: 1 users