2015-2016 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry, rejections always suck. To be honest they probably assume you wouldn't matriculate because, I don't think this is surprising, your numbers are very high and they're still a newer school.

Also please tell me your SDN name is a Scrubs reference haha

Yeah it from Scrubs lol. And I know my numbers are good for TCMC, I hope that's why they rejected. I really would go there though, I want to stay in state, I should have written a letter of interest I guess.
 
Yeah it from Scrubs lol. And I know my numbers are good for TCMC, I hope that's why they rejected. I really would go there though, I want to stay in state, I should have written a letter of interest I guess.

I'm sure it'll work out for you in the end! Best of luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You really dont need any of that. Know about tcmc though.

This is poor advice. TCMC is really big on the happenings in the community, since it's recent foundation is based on those very needs. I would say certainly do your homework on the school, but if you want to show them you've gone the extra mile, then be familiar with what's currently ailing the community, and in NEPA in general.
 
This is poor advice. TCMC is really big on the happenings in the community, since it's recent foundation is based on those very needs. I would say certainly do your homework on the school, but if you want to show them you've gone the extra mile, then be familiar with what's currently ailing the community, and in NEPA in general.

I wasnt asked about any of that during my interview.
 
TCMC was founded by local businessmen and medical leaders in the community to address the healthcare issues facing the area. So I would suggest that interviewees be familiar with the healthcare issues in the region.
 
I wasnt asked about any of that during my interview.

That doesn't mean that being knowledgeable about it, and bringing it up on your own doesn't make a difference.

2nd year here with insight on all of this.

If you've done your homework on NEPA and/or Scranton - esp if you're out of state - I'm going to have a lot of respect for you. Students aren't trying to bounce you out of this process - so don't treat us with less respect. We're an interviewer and ultimately a part of that tabulated score, so take it seriously.
 
Last edited:
I'm OOS, and I am interviewing here this week. Do you guys have any recommendations for where I could read up on local information? I checked the newspaper in Scranton, but are there other sources you would recommend?
 
I'm OOS, and I am interviewing here this week. Do you guys have any recommendations for where I could read up on local information? I checked the newspaper in Scranton, but are there other sources you would recommend?
You don't need to really know all that much about Scranton or NEPA, besides that the it was former coal town, aging population, and there is a large influx of immigrants (particularly Latino) to the area. From my interview and talking to other interviewees, it seems to be important that you have thought about 'community-based' care and working with undeserved.
 
You don't need to really know all that much about Scranton or NEPA, besides that the it was former coal town, aging population, and there is a large influx of immigrants (particularly Latino) to the area. From my interview and talking to other interviewees, it seems to be important that you have thought about 'community-based' care and working with undeserved.
This. Just know that scranton has a large, underserved, aging population. Discuss how you "think it's important to get to know the patient" and that "dr-patient relationships are key to medicine". No history of Scranton needed.
 
Can anyone who interviewed tell me where they found the information for Thank Yous on the application portal? I can't seem to find it
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
10 weeks later... and TCMC still doesn't give a hoot about my app 🙁
 
Can anyone who interviewed tell me where they found the information for Thank Yous on the application portal? I can't seem to find it

some email addresses were given to me and they said to email admissions for the rest.
 
Man... this is simply unfortunate on my part... I feel that at this point, I must have a silent rejected 🙁
 
Anyone have any idea what % of interviewed applicants get accepted? IS/OOS if possible.

I saw that they interview ~450 IS students for about 80 IS spots, but I didn't see them on USNWR so I'm wondering how many of them get accepted.
 
Anyone have any idea what % of interviewed applicants get accepted? IS/OOS if possible.

I saw that they interview ~450 IS students for about 80 IS spots, but I didn't see them on USNWR so I'm wondering how many of them get accepted.
About 1/3 are accepted overall, not sure of specifics in regards to in-state vs. out-of-state.
 
Thanks where did you read that? Some schools list this stuff on their website but I haven't seen it on TCMC's and MSAR only states matriculants.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you! That's a good bit lower than some other schools though 🙁 Any advice for the interview?
Honestly every interview is different but they're all pretty conversational. I know it's impossible to not worry but it really isn't all that stressful once it starts. The biggest advice is to figure out a good answer for "why TCMC." The school is very mission-based so if you aren't from PA you have to convince them that you somehow fit into what they're looking for. TCMC is VERY big on patient-centered medicine so that may be a good place to start.
 
Honestly every interview is different but they're all pretty conversational. I know it's impossible to not worry but it really isn't all that stressful once it starts. The biggest advice is to figure out a good answer for "why TCMC." The school is very mission-based so if you aren't from PA you have to convince them that you somehow fit into what they're looking for. TCMC is VERY big on patient-centered medicine so that may be a good place to start.

Thanks that's reassuring. My last II was conversational as well, and I'm from PA so I'll just look more into their mission 🙂 How do you like TCMC so far?
 
Thanks that's reassuring. My last II was conversational as well, and I'm from PA so I'll just look more into their mission 🙂 How do you like TCMC so far?
I really like it a lot and have had a great transition into medical school. TCMC has a great, small, supportive student body. It feels very similar to my small liberal arts college undergrad. I love some professors and really dislike others but I think that's just the nature of school anywhere. Parts of the curriculum are put together very intelligently and parts seem like a hassle. I could go on but I don't really feel like writing a novel at the moment [emoji6]
 
Can someone please tell me what the interview format is at TCMC? Is it blind? Open? Partial blind? If it's partial blind, what information do the interviewers have access to?
 
Can someone please tell me what the interview format is at TCMC? Is it blind? Open? Partial blind? If it's partial blind, what information do the interviewers have access to?

Faculty had access to your secondary, amcas activities and PS.

Student had access to secondary only.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad