2015-2016 University of California - Irvine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+2 LizzyM ~68, Verified 7/08
After losing faith, they finally gave one to me. They gave me the secondary email ten minutes before the "application received" email.

Members don't see this ad.

+2 LizzyM ~68, Verified 7/08
After losing faith, they finally gave one to me. They gave me the secondary email ten minutes before the "application received" email.
That's interesting timing, haha. I got the secondary e-mail literally seconds after the "application received" e-mail - my phone vibrated twice in less than 30 seconds and I was like dang who needs me right now. Glad to see it was UCI!

Edit:
People with IIs, did you write about a school-related achievement?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I just checked the portal and all of my fields are blank so I'm assuming I haven't been awarded a secondary yet. Wow can you imagine if I was awarded one and had absolutely no idea?! Thanks for pointing that out!

:O :O :O Glad I read this too. Just checked my application portal...still blank on this end too hahah

Members don't see this ad :)
:O :O :O Glad I read this too. Just checked my application portal...still blank on this end too hahah
I asked in the UCLA thread and they said that you'll get an email if you get invited for a secondary. Whew! I cannot imagine if I were to log in a find that my secondary had been sitting all month! @_____@

I asked in the UCLA thread and they said that you'll get an email if you get invited for a secondary. Whew! I cannot imagine if I were to log in a find that my secondary had been sitting all month! @_____@
hahah good to know!!

Guys - if I may be of help, the UC's truly are the beasts of the West. As a California resident, I would be hard pressed to pick even a T10 over any one of them. If you are a California resident and are on the fence about applying, I say go for it no matter what, but tread with caution. While numbers aren't everything, they will get you an invite to the party of all parties and make this process far less grueling.

This is my first interview and I can't wait. 39 MCAT, powerful upward trend. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
I wanted to say good luck to everyone. I will be matriculating in a week or so. I skimmed some posts and there were some points to be addressed.

1. Last cycle there wasn't much movement from the wait list.
2. You can use academic achievement as your greatest accomplishment. I talked about research and grants in mine.
3. I got an interview with a Lizzy M of ~64 so don't give up hope based on numbers. (Asian, IS)
4. For activities, I just put what was on my AMCAS and a few other smaller ones (<100 hours total).

2' invite 7/14
2' submitted 7/25
II 9/6
Interview early Nov
Acceptance early Dec

Reactions: 10 users
Hi everyone,

For the personal accomplishment essay, would it reflect badly if I wrote about achieving my black belt back in high school? Taekwondo is not mentioned on my primary because I don't train formally anymore, but my black belt is probably the biggest long-term goal that I've accomplished

For the personal accomplishment essay, would it be OK to write about teaching English to an immigrant, which helped her to get a promotion at her job? The promotion is obviously not my own accomplishment, but I was able to help my student by teaching English. Could this be considered a personal accomplishment?

Hi everyone,

For the personal accomplishment essay, would it reflect badly if I wrote about achieving my black belt back in high school? Taekwondo is not mentioned on my primary because I don't train formally anymore, but my black belt is probably the biggest long-term goal that I've accomplished

I personally think if you write about it from a perspective of commitment to a long-term goal, preservation in face of difficulties (injuries, losing competitions, etc.), motivation to succeed, then I think it could be a good essay that says a lot about your ability to succeed in medical school. It's also an interesting and unique topic! Good luck!

I personally think if you write about it from a perspective of commitment to a long-term goal, preservation in face of difficulties (injuries, losing competitions, etc.), motivation to succeed, then I think it could be a good essay that says a lot about your ability to succeed in medical school. It's also an interesting and unique topic! Good luck!

I strongly believe that any topic is fair game. I think that it is just a matter if you are able to "bring together - link" the topic of your choice to the prompt and how good you are at writing IMHO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Black belt in high school might indicate lack of achievements in college.
Promotion one is fine as long as you highlight your involvement. Don't let the promotion be the main point of your essay.

So they ask you to write 3 semesters of Bio classes (or 5 quarters), but there are 8 slots... Did you all just leave the extra spots blank, or did you fill them in with other classes??

Thanks!

So they ask you to write 3 semesters of Bio classes (or 5 quarters), but there are 8 slots... Did you all just leave the extra spots blank, or did you fill them in with other classes??

Thanks!

I personally filled them with my other classes that I took (Immunology, Endocrinology, etc)

Thanks!
I emailed the admission office and that was their answer " On the secondary, you can list two lower and one upper division Biology course"

I emailed the admission office and that was their answer " On the secondary, you can list two lower and one upper division Biology course"

To clarify, they said to leave it blank? Thanks

To clarify, they said to leave it blank? Thanks
I sent them a list with 6 classes that I was intending put down, then they replied that answer. So I left the other slots in blank. You always call them to confirm. I am just passing down my own experience.

Do you guys think it matters what combination of G-chem O-Chem or Biochem classes you put down? I have taken 2 of each and they ask for 4 classes total. So idk if it matters if it is 2 G-chem and 1 Ochem and 1 biochem, or some other combination. Thanks

Still no word from UCI or UCLA. Starting to get neurotically nervous as I've heard from all of the other CA schools :(

Still no word from UCI or UCLA. Starting to get neurotically nervous as I've heard from all of the other CA schools :(
It's okay, I'm still waiting for UCLA and UCR and I was verified June 12 so I know how you feel! I think it's normal for the UC's to send their secondaries in batches throughout August even so the best we can do is wait--as long as we designated those schools on AMCAS, then we know the schools have received them and it's just a matter of time. I know it's frustrating because people have already gotten II's or received secondaries when they were verified at a later date but I think as long as you submit your secondary within 2 weeks of receipt, you will have full consideration and evaluation. There are A TON of people in the same boat as you and I--just remember that the people who post on forums are a super small percentage of applicants so don't feel discouraged! What's meant to be will happen in its own time :)

Reactions: 1 users
It's okay, I'm still waiting for UCLA and UCR and I was verified June 12 so I know how you feel! I think it's normal for the UC's to send their secondaries in batches throughout August even so the best we can do is wait--as long as we designated those schools on AMCAS, then we know the schools have received them and it's just a matter of time. I know it's frustrating because people have already gotten II's or received secondaries when they were verified at a later date but I think as long as you submit your secondary within 2 weeks of receipt, you will have full consideration and evaluation. There are A TON of people in the same boat as you and I--just remember that the people who post on forums are a super small percentage of applicants so don't feel discouraged! What's meant to be will happen in its own time :)
Thank you for that! I've been verified since 6/3 and know people with lower stats than me (in person) that already received secondaries and it's making me wonder lol but I guess all you can really do is just be patient and think of something else to do in the meantime! Hopefully we'll hear something soon :)

Has anyone not gotten a secondary from here yet? I was verified 6/17 and have secondaries from Riverside and SD but not from here, Davis, LA, or SF.
Same! JUST SD for me actually. mine was verified in july 15 this doesnt make sense.

Question for permanent residents:

Did you get a confirmation of receipt e-mail when you sent in the copy of your green card?

Question for permanent residents:

Did you get a confirmation of receipt e-mail when you sent in the copy of your green card?

Yeah, I got a brief email stating that the card would be included in my file.

Rejected just now, post-secondary/pre-interview, and complete on 7/17.

Best of luck!

Best of luck!

Same here. Post secondary/pre interview. First rejection. Kinda hurts but I'm trying not to think too much about it.

Best of luck!
Ahh sorry to hear that! At least they don't do silent rejections and leave you hanging until March/April. Best of luck with your other applications! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone from Irvine/Orange County have any recommendations on where to stay for interview day?

Anyone from Irvine/Orange County have any recommendations on where to stay for interview day?
I think the office of admissions has a pdf file for applicants with interview invites and that file has some recommendations for lodging. One of them I remember is the Ayres Hotel and they do have a shuttle that will take interview applicants from the hotel to the school for the interview day. I think they can also pick you up from John Wayne airport as well.

Interviewing here out of state!!! Got the email 9 PM yesterday

Reactions: 3 users
@azzeh123 my complete date was July seventeenth, and I know they start August 31 and go into February, but I'm not sure exactly what the list of dates is, sorry!

Congrats!

What was your complete date?
Also if you don't mind what dates are available?

From their Google form for interview hosts they have the following dates listed for interviews:
  • 1) Monday, 8/31/15
  • 2) Friday, 9/18/15
  • 3) Monday, 9/28/15
  • 4) Thursday, 10/8/15
  • 5) Tuesday, 10/20/15
  • 6) Monday, 11/2/15
  • 7) Wednesday, 11/18/15
  • 8) Monday, 12/7/15
  • 9) Tuesday, 12/15/15
  • 10) Monday, 1/11/16
  • 11) Tuesday, 1/26/16
  • 12) Monday, 2/8/16
  • 13) Monday, 2/22/16
  • 14) Monday 3/7/16
They have another section for "Other date", so I assume they may be flexible with interview dates if needed. I was only able to select from 8/31 and 9/18 when I was given an II.

Got my hopes up reading these last few posts. I got the application received email 30 min ago but have not received the secondary. :(

secondary received!! yay!!!

LM ~65!!

Reactions: 3 users
Verified 7/28
Received secondary today about the same time as confirmation of the receipt of my AMCAS application. First UC school secondary.

Verified 7/17
Received email of application received 7/27

No secondary yet...

Received email of application received 7/27

No secondary yet...

Ditto.

But I think we're still in the running. Otherwise they would have blatantly told us, "Not Awarded". Maybe this is their way of putting us "on hold".

Has anyone received a secondary more than 3 weeks after getting an e-mail about them receiving the primary app? I'm starting to wonder whether I have been screened out (got the e-mail in mid-July)...

I may just be reading too much into this but does having a "Student ID" on the upper left corner of the status page mean anything? I've been checking every other day-ish since I submitted and that just appeared today. Previously only my name, AAMC ID, and the link to activate UCINetID were there.