2015-2016 University of Miami (Miller) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, I moved to "been scored and interviews are offered Sept through March. yada yada yada. Waiting for an II, if one ever will show up. My brother didn't get an II until Feb 2 cycles ago. They do go much slower with II than other schools.

I wish my status will change already. ive seen people who completed later than me with status change and im still sitting with this status since july sigh

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
II today. IS, complete around mid July.

Members don't see this ad :)
Were you able to schedule an interview date through the link in the email?

Yea they gave me 4 options, the earliest being next Friday. Should contact them if you can't do that.

Does anyone know if students with an MSPH would still be eligible for the MD/MPH program?

Is anyone interviewing for the MD/MPH program on Monday and Tuesday? The Palm Beach campus couldn't find a host for me. I'm trying to decide if its better to stay in Miami and rent a car and drive to Palm Beach on Tuesday morning, or stay overnight at Palm Beach.

I would be more than happy to split lodging/travel costs with someone!

Also, for those that already interviewed, what did you think? How did the interview go (as in, is it conversational or do they go through boring "describe greatest challenge/situation where you worked with others" types of questions)? Is there anything I should look out or ask for during interview day? I'm very excited about this interview and want it to go well.

Is anyone interviewing for the MD/MPH program on Monday and Tuesday? The Palm Beach campus couldn't find a host for me. I'm trying to decide if its better to stay in Miami and rent a car and drive to Palm Beach on Tuesday morning, or stay overnight at Palm Beach.

Also, for those that already interviewed, what did you think? How did the interview go (as in, is it conversational or do they go through boring "describe greatest challenge/situation where you worked with others" types of questions)? Is there anything I should look out or ask for during interview day? I'm very excited about this interview and want it to go well.

If I remember correctly, it was way cheaper to fly into and rent a car in Ft. Lauderdale.

Make sure to enjoy the beach when you're interviewing. It was my favorite part of the interview there.

Interviewing for the MPH portion on the Palm Beach campus November 10th, and they can't find a host. Anyone else in the same situation and wanting to split a hotel or AirBnB? Message me plsss!

Have a II scheduled for November 20th. Any student hosts willing to accommodate me for the night prior? Wouldn't mind splitting hotel costs with someone either. PM me!

If I remember correctly, it was way cheaper to fly into and rent a car in Ft. Lauderdale.

Make sure to enjoy the beach when you're interviewing. It was my favorite part of the interview there.

My cheapest option would be the Tri-rail from Miami to Palm Beach but it takes longer. Its still way cheaper than renting a car, though. Maybe AirBnB is the way to go.

Also, thanks for the beach suggestion! I grew up on an island so I can skip that. Besides, I'm flying back to Boston right after the interview, work the rest of the week... Can't wait until May 31st, my last day!

My cheapest option would be the Tri-rail from Miami to Palm Beach but it takes longer. Its still way cheaper than renting a car, though. Maybe AirBnB is the way to go.

Also, thanks for the beach suggestion! I grew up on an island so I can skip that. Besides, I'm flying back to Boston right after the interview, work the rest of the week... Can't wait until May 31st, my last day!

I interviewed early in the year this year and almost got stuck in Miami due to the blizzards in Mass. I had other interviews when I got back so those flight cancellations were hella unnerving.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user

Hi! I'm interviewing Monday and Tuesday... We could split the rent of a car together to drive to palm beach tomorrow afternoon :) PM me if you wanna carpool

Damn Miami after interviewing today you skyrocketed on my list.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have a II scheduled for November 20th. Any student hosts willing to accommodate me for the night prior? Wouldn't mind splitting hotel costs with someone either. PM me!

You can request a student host through the admissions office. I've copied the instructions @Dr. Retractor posted earlier in the thread below:

"To clarify, you go to the website in the email, go to Interview FAQs, click on Miami Interview Information and scroll all the way down."

Sorry if this was asked before, but what comes after the "under review" status? Thanks in advance!

There's really no one else on this site who is doing an MPH interview November 10th that would want to split a room or AirBnB to save money?

When you are scored does not reflect your competitiveness.

When you are scored does not reflect your competitiveness.
So are applications not scored chronologically?

It is a little disconcerting when someone who submits after you gets scored before you and gets an II. What explains this? The speed of different reviewers?

I don't know how exactly the process is done, but I know 100% that just because you are not scored yet does not mean that you are less competitive than someone scored early

Reactions: 4 users
submitted around the same time and am also still unscored
Also complete around 8/20 - also unscored. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Hopefully we all hear back soon and hopefully it's good news for all of us!

"Your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. At this time, a final decision has not been reached on your application." ~ "At this time, we are trying to find the right way to reject you."
+1

This is torture waiting on a final decision...

Has anyone sent in status updates to the committee? If so, how would I do it?

I did via email, but they warned me that no one would see that update unless I was actually granted an interview. The way they worded it made it seem pointless to do unless you're post-interview

This is torture waiting on a final decision...
At least they have given us the dates when they will be making decisions (and how many people they accept on each date, that being 20 people who are scored the highest at the decision time). No other school I have interviewed at does that. Everyone else has left me in the dark. That is another thing I love about this school is how transparent they were with the admissions process. November 4th is coming up quick..... I'm not freaking out.... actually I am.

So I've been "under review" since 7/12. Should I just assume a silent rejection?

I will repost for those who didn't see this before: no such thing as a silent rejection.

Love me Miller, I will love you back, promise ! ;)

At least they have given us the dates when they will be making decisions (and how many people they accept on each date, that being 20 people who are scored the highest at the decision time). No other school I have interviewed at does that. Everyone else has left me in the dark. That is another thing I love about this school is how transparent they were with the admissions process. November 4th is coming up quick..... I'm not freaking out.... actually I am.
With that said, the admission lady told me if you don't get accepted in the first round there is great chance to get accepted later on, and the most "movement" happens on April. Also, I stayed with a student host who told me that himself and most of his friends were not accepted right off the bat, meaning that they were in "wait list" for a few "cycles" before they got accepted. I think that the consensus for Miami is that if you got interviewed you have a very good chance to get accepted, although it may take a few months. We are still kinda of early in the cycle for acceptances and I believe that schools will "cherry pick" the most competitive applicants at first. If you are a normal applicant ( like myself -avg mcat and Etc...) you will probably hear later on the cycle from most schools, so do not lose faith peeps.

Haha, way to "silver lining". That's a good point. All other schools are ambiguous. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing though lol.

With that said, the admission lady told me if you don't get accepted in the first round there is great chance to get accepted later on, and the most "movement" happens on April. Also, I stayed with a student host who told me that himself and most of his friends were not accepted right off the bat, meaning that they were in "wait list" for a few "cycles" before they got accepted. I think that the consensus for Miami is that if you got interviewed you have a very good chance to get accepted, although it may take a few months. We are still kinda of early in the cycle for acceptances and I believe that schools will "cherry pick" the most competitive applicants at first. If you are a normal applicant ( like myself -avg mcat and Etc...) you will probably hear later on the cycle from most schools, so do not lose faith peeps.

This made me feel so much better. Just hearing again that you stand a good chance of getting in post-II alleviates a bit of the anxiety. What was it last year, 357 accepted/600 II's?

Thanks B-wildered! I really needed to hear this after being put in the alternate list :)

"A final decision has been reached by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine on your application. Contact the admissions ofice 305-243-3234upload_2015-11-2_10-55-45.png or [email protected] if you do not receive a telephone call, an e-mail or a letter within seven days."

:eek::eek::eek:

"A final decision has been reached by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine on your application. Contact the admissions ofice 305-243-3234View attachment 197541 or [email protected] if you do not receive a telephone call, an e-mail or a letter within seven days."

:eek::eek::eek:

What week did you interview?

Finally reviewed! Let the games begin.

Reactions: 3 users
A final decision has been reached on my application! :nailbiting:

Interviewed early October:scared:

Did you guys get an email about a decision being made or just saw it on the portal?

Btw, it seems like "final decision" means accepted, since if you're not accepted right away, the decision isn't final...