2015-2016 University of Toledo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
still no news on this school. Is this even a medical school - I know it is but there is no sign of interview invites nor is there any clarity to what's going on with this school. I am so lost.

LOL thats funny lol lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Of course it is a medical school. They are probably interviewing fewer people as it is later in the season, or not many applicants are members on SDN who have been invited to interview.

LOL thats funny lol lol

I know it's a medical school. I am just getting frustrated that there is no sense of communication - I mean they don't even have a portal system. I would love to interview here, but I am frustrated with the lack of clarity.

Is anyone else going to the second look on the 19th? I have been looking at a ton of apartments in the area and it looks like it would be a great idea to room with someone. While it's not ideal to move in with a stranger I thought it might be nice to see who was going to go to the second look and see if anyone hits it off. PM me if you're looking for a roommate as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else going to the second look on the 19th? I have been looking at a ton of apartments in the area and it looks like it would be a great idea to room with someone. While it's not ideal to move in with a stranger I thought it might be nice to see who was going to go to the second look and see if anyone hits it off. PM me if you're looking for a roommate as well.

Plenty of people meet their roommates via the facebook group, so don't stress if you don't manage to find anyone at second look.

I'll be there!

Plenty of people meet their roommates via the facebook group, so don't stress if you don't manage to find anyone at second look.
Yeah agreed. I would say the majority.

Do most people go alone to Second Look? Would it be out of the ordinary to bring a parent/family member?

Looks like decisions are coming out today!

Does anyone know what's going on with this school? Are they still interviewing or sending out invites? I know they run later than some but it's been really quiet on here.

Reactions: 1 users
I heard that Toledo does have a ranked waitlist. Do they tell you where you stand?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what's going on with this school? Are they still interviewing or sending out invites? I know they run later than some but it's been really quiet on here.
Hmm, seems pretty late for interviews even by Toledo standards.

I heard that Toledo does have a ranked waitlist. Do they tell you where you stand?
Sort of. They tell you what "tier" you're in. High has a fair chance of getting in, low does not.

But their email only says we've been put on the Alternate List. How do you know your tier?

Are interviews over at U of Toledo? I haven't had any additional correspondence since the initial complete email; wondering whether I should give up hope or stay strong!

To current students or anyone else who may be able to chime in: when do scholarship notifications usually begin going out? Is it before April 30th? If not, is there any way to know if you're under consideration? Thanks!

To current students or anyone else who may be able to chime in: when do scholarship notifications usually begin going out? Is it before April 30th? If not, is there any way to know if you're under consideration? Thanks!
I think you apply. They'll send info.

Interviewed 3/21 (they said we were the last group) and accepted today!

Reactions: 6 users
does anyone who has been accepted know approximately how many people have committed to toledo so far for next year?

KinesiologyNerd,

I'm wondering about financial aid packages. I have heard that scholarship winners will not be announced until July or so. Are ANY scholarships included in the financial aid packages distributed in April?? It would be extremely helpful to know if we got any scholarships before the April 30 decision date.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
No idea. Didn't try for any scholarships.

KinesiologyNerd,

I'm wondering about financial aid packages. I have heard that scholarship winners will not be announced until July or so. Are ANY scholarships included in the financial aid packages distributed in April?? It would be extremely helpful to know if we got any scholarships before the April 30 decision date.

This is my dilemma as well. Not knowing about receipt of any scholarships or even the likelihood before April 30th is really putting a kink in my decision process lol. I believe some students don't find out until as late as September.

Lol yeah that's not okay... Other schools have already gotten back to me and it's tough to make a decision on the "possibility" of getting scholarships in September or whenever it is.

So, I was awarded a scholarship last year. I'd say about 15 M1s won one, with about 5 being minorities. I was notified on July 30th after nagging them for a month or so. Good luck!

Just withdrew! Hope my spot goes to one of you guys waiting!!!!

Has anyone gotten off the waitlist here yet or heard anything about when they are going to let us know what priority we are? I recently sent some updates but I haven't heard much.

Has anyone gotten off the waitlist here yet or heard anything about when they are going to let us know what priority we are? I recently sent some updates but I haven't heard much.

If I remember correctly the waitlist priority is sent out sometime shortly after the day where you can only hold an acceptance at one medical school, which I believe is May 15th.

Good luck to you!

If I remember correctly the waitlist priority is sent out sometime shortly after the day where you can only hold an acceptance at one medical school, which I believe is May 15th.

Good luck to you!
It was actually May 2 (just because April 30 was a Saturday)!! All of the waitlist movement should have begun this week. Once they receive notice of acceptance off the waitlist, they have 10 days to decide if they will be matriculating there or not. So now, the big movements should be about every 10 days until the schools have filled all of their seats!

Last edited:
It was actually May 2 (just because April 30 was a Saturday)!! All of the waitlist movement should have begun this week. Once they receive notice of acceptance off the waitlist, they have 10 days to decide if they will be matriculating there or not. So now, the big movements should be about every 10 days until the school have filled all of their seats!
Big movements yes, but Toledo always seems to have a fair amount of movement through the summer. I think 3 of my classmates got in the week before orientation.

Do they tell you what priority waitlist you are on? And when?

Just accepted off the waitlist. Will be declining this offer for another school, however.

Accepted off of the waitlist. Interviewed September, In State, MCAT 29, GPA 3.6. Good Luck to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have advice for incoming first years on which books to get? I know many of the books recommended by professors are a waste of money

And anyone also have advice on apartments in the area? I know there are plenty of affordable places in the area but I'm concerned about safety

Anyone have advice for incoming first years on which books to get? I know many of the books recommended by professors are a waste of money
You will get mixed reviews from everyone. I didn't use any books for biochemistry.

Anatomy: Netter's, Rohen's, BRS Embryology, Grey's Anatomy Review (tons of questions, some of which will look very familiar on test day)
DO NOT get Grant's dissector, even though they tell you to. They have it for you in the lab, and it is only helpful as a dissector, not as a study aid

Neuroscience: Definitely get the Atlas they recommend (can't remember what it's called). The textbook is unnecessary.
Behavioral: nothing

And anyone also have advice on apartments in the area? I know there are plenty of affordable places in the area but I'm concerned about safety
You can find plenty of info about apartments in old threads for this school, but here are a few. Many students live at:
Fox Chase
Heather Village
Chelsea Place (extremely and unnecessarily expensive)
Quail Hollow

There are others, but I can't remember them. Avoid places within walking distance of school; the area is very seedy. Good 'suburbs' are Maumee, Sylvania (far), Perrysburg, Ottawa Hills

I'll just add to what mbeus said, definitely do not buy any books for Biochem or Behavioral. It will be a waste of your money. Also, it was pretty easy to get a hold of the PDF versions of all of the anatomy textbooks. I used the PDF and liked them but I know some people really like an actual book. With that in mind, you can opt for an older edition or two which will be much cheaper. Anatomy really hasn't changed much over the last few decades, they just add some cool pictures or tables and call it a new edition.

does this school have a preference for its in state students? and how competitive is this school

Has anyone had any luck with an internet provider other than Buckeye in the Toledo area? Thanks!

No books for biochem. Anatomy I had an atlas and question book pdf. Neuroscience I had a pdf atlas.

Fox chase, quail hollow, the ridge, chelsea place, anything in Perrysburg. As a general rule in Toledo, the further west you are the safer it is. Anything west of Reynolds Rd(ish) will be fine. Obviously there are exceptions, but that's a good rule to start with.

Editorial: I started at Fox chase. It was ok, and a good deal for a 2 bedroom (795). It is, however, greatly showing it's age. They wanted to jack the rent so I moved to Chelsea Place. Paying the same for a 1 bedroom (2 bed starts at ~1200), but it's much newer and way better management. It's 20 minutes to school, but general rule about Toledo #2: everything in NW Ohio is 20 minutes away.

Has anyone had any luck with an internet provider other than Buckeye in the Toledo area? Thanks!
I'm looking forward to my buckeye contract ending more than match day. So I would try someone else.

I'm looking forward to my buckeye contract ending more than match day. So I would try someone else.

Do you know of any other providers in the area? I've been looking, and it seems like there are very few, if any, other options in Toledo?

Do you know of any other providers in the area? I've been looking, and it seems like there are very few, if any, other options in Toledo?
It's pretty spotty for the other big companies. I'm pretty sure I've had buckeye my entire life.

I have AT&T at my place and it works really well. It was cheaper that buckeye and I haven't had any problems all year. I know that at some of the apartment buildings, you are restricted on what Internet/cable company you can get so definitely look into that.