2015-2016 University of Toledo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea I didn't get it in my acceptance email either. Maybe after turning in the acceptance form?

Edit: Yea not after that either
Hmm that's weird. Maybe they're waiting until later on in the app cycle this year?

Members don't see this ad.

How can I inquire about my application without sounding too annoying. I understand adcoms get alot but Iwould love more transparency. I seriosuly think my app just gets lost somewhere. OOS applicant doesnt make it any easier.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone that interview at the end of October hear back yet?

Why won't Toledo give me an interview? Second time applying, Lizzy m 70, in state, lots of good stuff goin on here. Show me some love Toledo!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Does Toledo accept updates? I wasn't able to find any info on the website.

I don't believe that they do, this is what the email says: "Submission of updates or supplemental application materials are not necessary or required, unless it is upon request from the Medical School Admission Office."

Thanks so much, I definitely did not read that email well enough. Thank you!

Could any of the currents students tell me how soon we should start looking for an apartment? Do many places fill up quick or is it relatively easy to find a place. I was looking into either fox chase or Chelsea place. If anyone has other recommendation please do share!

Members don't see this ad :)
Could any of the currents students tell me how soon we should start looking for an apartment? Do many places fill up quick or is it relatively easy to find a place. I was looking into either fox chase or Chelsea place. If anyone has other recommendation please do share!
Fox chase does fill up quickly, but chelsea place doesn't because it's so expensive. I had no problem finding a place in april/may.

Fox chase does fill up quickly, but chelsea place doesn't because it's so expensive. I had no problem finding a place in april/may.
Could you or any other current students maybe give a list of some of the more common apartments or housing options students choose? Thanks in advance!

Could you or any other current students maybe give a list of some of the more common apartments or housing options students choose? Thanks in advance!
I lucked out and found a townhouse owned by a former student here.
Many people live in Fox Chase, Quail Hollow, Chelsea Place, Heather Village
Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. If you look at last year's application thread, someone gave a very in-depth list of common places people live

Reactions: 2 users

Off the top of my head these are the main four apartment complexes that students live in. You can't go wrong with any of them but they do vary in price and location.

The Ridge
Quail Hollow (Fills up FAST and they're real nice apartments. Really wanted a spot here but didn't get it in time).
Chelsea Place
Fox Chase

Other people live in houses, other complexes, or with their parents/family members. I would avoid being super near to the medical center since the surround area isn't very nice. People live all over town as well in Holland, Maumee, Perrysburg, Ottawa Hills, and Sylvania. I know a dude that even lives out in Oregon.

Last year's thread had a more comprehensive list of apartments that included amenities, cost and distance from school.

Hey all, just wanted to share some insight with those accepted about UT and those interviewing about the process!

A little about myself, I went through the MSBS program last year so I have taken Biochemistry and Neuroscience at UT. I honored both of those classes, unfortunately fell just short of an A in a grad class and got an A- in another....ended up with a 3.83 GPA in the program and got deferred. I did accept my seat for the 2015-2016 class!

I agree with the consensus on this thread that this school and classes are very helpful and it doesn't seem like a "cutthroat" type school at all. It is very relaxing to know that you will be with people that genuinely care about the success of everyone else. Most averages for the exam are 80%+, that being said it is not an "easier" workload at all and the statistics of UT for the USMLE exams is decently above the national average. Every year there are about 5-10 student that match in the more "prestigious" residencies, if you will (surgery, ENT, Derm, Plastics). In the past couple years I have had friends match at Northwestern for Orthopedic surgery, Yale, UofM, Ohio State. Most of them also went through the MSBS program and were not exactly 4.0 and 30+ MCAT students from undergrad. I am saying that because it is very possible to achieve your goals here with hard work, and I know many, many other medical schools can say the same.

Interview process is much as what has already been stated. Just be yourself and come in confident knowing you got an interview because UT believes you qualify for their school from an academic prospective.

Feel free to PM me if any of you have any other questions!

Also, the UTCOM Class of 2020 FB is now active! If any of you need help with it, PM me!

Do accepted students need to do anything to make sure they secure their spot? The email says there is no deposit, but is there something else we need to do to make sure we are securing our position? Thank you so much!

They say no, but I put them on blast after I was wait listed. Had a lot of alumni send them letters on my behalf.

Go to Chelsea Place. I've lived at both, and have been much happier at Chelsea place. Much much nicer and has competent management. Little further to get to UTMC, but way closer to the other hospitals.

Go to Chelsea Place. I've lived at both, and have been much happier at Chelsea place. Much much nicer and has competent management. Little further to get to UTMC, but way closer to the other hospitals.

Chelsea place is considerably more expensive, right?? I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Will any current UT medical students describe what the daily schedule is like during the first 2 years of Med School at UT?

Also is lecture attendance mandatory? Any PBL or is it all traditional lectures? Thank you!

Just got this email from admissions.

The University of Toledo Medical School Admissions Committee is currently reviewing applications and will continue until the end of March 2016.

We request your patience and thank you for your interest in pursuing medical education at the University of Toledo College of Medicine.

Blah Blah Blah repeating the original email received in August saying I was complete.

Okay, been waiting for months, not sure what this means, but not having a portal like most other schools must be causing a lot of phone calls, hence the email, we'll call you, don't call us.

The University of Toledo Medical School Admissions Committee is currently reviewing applications and will continue until the end of March 2016.

We request your patience and thank you for your interest in pursuing medical education at the University of Toledo College of Medicine.

Blah Blah Blah repeating the original email received in August saying I was complete.

Okay, been waiting for months, not sure what this means, but not having a portal like most other schools must be causing a lot of phone calls, hence the email, we'll call you, don't call us.
got this one too. really surprises me that they don't maintain a portal to access throughout the cycle...thought that was pretty standard. have they been sending out any rejections so far?

I got the same email.

Thanks for the update. Have heard very good things about the MSBS program btw!

I am an Ohio resident and was accepted here back in 10/2015. Toledo always has an impressive Match list, and routinely the board scores are excellent. I had a very positive interview day and would be willing to answer any pending interviewee questions! The new sim center and the partnership with Promedica seems promising for the med school's future!

Hello,

I'm interviewing in February. Were there any interview questions that stumped you? Were there certain themes/trends in the questions that both interviewers asked you? Also how'd you do finding you're interviewers? I've heard that it's like navigating a maze. What's with all the talk about tunnels in Toledo? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Will any current UT medical students describe what the daily schedule is like during the first 2 years of Med School at UT?

Also is lecture attendance mandatory? Any PBL or is it all traditional lectures? Thank you!

I am a first year here at UTCOM. I clearly haven't taken any second year classes but I'm sure they are similar to our schedule. Every block (each block is a different course) is a bit different.

1. Biochem: We have biochem first and usually we would have 2 lectures in the morning from 8-12 and then maybe 2-3 classes in the afternoon throughout the week. Some of the afternoon classes are biochem and some of them are a class we call clinical decision making where we learn about business of medicine, ethics, interviewing skills, and physical exam skills. Classes typically start at 8 and usually don't go past 3 pm.

2. Anatomy: We typically have 2 lectures every morning from 8-12 and then we spend a few hours in the lab in the afternoon every other day. It is every other day because only half of the class is in the lab at one time. Lab typically ends at 3 but sometimes goes till 5 pm, it just depends on the day.

3. Neuroscience and behavioral science: I haven't taken this block yet but I heard that the schedule is similar to biochem.

Most lectures are not mandatory and all of them are recorded with audio and visual of the powerpoint. The recorded lectures are the actual lectures that you would see if you went to class, meaning they are not lectures recorded from previous years!

Almost all of our lectures are traditional lectures but we do meet every Wednesday morning for 2 hours for PBL style learning. We work through a clinical case and do a SOAP note.

I really like the pre-clinical curriculum here and I really think that it shows with great board scores and great match results! The professors are very open to student feedback and there has been clear changes from feedback of the current 2nd and 3rd years. I hope this answers your question well!

I am a first year here at UTCOM. I clearly haven't taken any second year classes but I'm sure they are similar to our schedule. Every block (each block is a different course) is a bit different.

1. Biochem: We have biochem first and usually we would have 2 lectures in the morning from 8-12 and then maybe 2-3 classes in the afternoon throughout the week. Some of the afternoon classes are biochem and some of them are a class we call clinical decision making where we learn about business of medicine, ethics, interviewing skills, and physical exam skills. Classes typically start at 8 and usually don't go past 3 pm.

2. Anatomy: We typically have 2 lectures every morning from 8-12 and then we spend a few hours in the lab in the afternoon every other day. It is every other day because only half of the class is in the lab at one time. Lab typically ends at 3 but sometimes goes till 5 pm, it just depends on the day.

3. Neuroscience and behavioral science: I haven't taken this block yet but I heard that the schedule is similar to biochem.

Most lectures are not mandatory and all of them are recorded with audio and visual of the powerpoint. The recorded lectures are the actual lectures that you would see if you went to class, meaning they are not lectures recorded from previous years!

Almost all of our lectures are traditional lectures but we do meet every Wednesday morning for 2 hours for PBL style learning. We work through a clinical case and do a SOAP note.

I really like the pre-clinical curriculum here and I really think that it shows with great board scores and great match results! The professors are very open to student feedback and there has been clear changes from feedback of the current 2nd and 3rd years. I hope this answers your question well!

Thank you very much for all that info Waterskier! I really appreciate it.

Accepted today ! I'm going to be a Doctor !

Reactions: 5 users
Is Toledo done sending interviews? It's been pretty quiet on here.

Is Toledo done sending interviews? It's been pretty quiet on here.
I don't think so. They sent an email a couple weeks ago saying they would be reviewing apps until late March. Based on last year's thread it looks like they interview through April.

Is it possible for Michigan residents to apply for in state tuition? I feel like I read that somewhere but can't find it now...

Is it possible for Michigan residents to apply for in state tuition? I feel like I read that somewhere but can't find it now...

Yes, if you live in Monroe County, Michigan you're considered in state.

Also, anybody can apply and receive in-state tuition for 2nd-4th years.

anyone know the likelihood of getting off the waitlist here?

Has anyone received an II here recently? This thread has been dead silent.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Has anyone received an II here recently? This thread has been dead silent.

nope. I don't understand what's going on in this school...

Interviewed 2/7, waitlisted this week, looks like I'll be waiting until May to hear anything definitive

what is everyone's take on calling the school and asking for any information because I am lost as to what is going on.

still no news on this school. Is this even a medical school - I know it is but there is no sign of interview invites nor is there any clarity to what's going on with this school. I am so lost.

I interviewed a few weeks ago and was recently put on the waitlist! So they are processing SOME applications....

I interviewed a few weeks ago and was recently put on the waitlist! So they are processing SOME applications....
Thanks for the info, I haven't heard anything about this place in ages.

still no news on this school. Is this even a medical school - I know it is but there is no sign of interview invites nor is there any clarity to what's going on with this school. I am so lost.

Of course it is a medical school. They are probably interviewing fewer people as it is later in the season, or not many applicants are members on SDN who have been invited to interview.