2015-2016 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Surely today we hear something from someone in an hour...on a bright note: I have finished up half of my secondaries!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Surely today we hear something from someone in an hour...on a bright note: I have finished up half of my secondaries!
What do ou mean by half your secondaries? For the 2016-2017 cycle??

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How are secondaries out? Has AMCAS even sent the applications to the schools? Sorry I'm a little confused, don't secondaries usually come out the end of June early July?

I have submitted a few of the DO ones I have gotten and have pre-written over half of the md secondaries over the past couple of months...

I am assuming wait list movement has slowed down tremendously so gotta be prepared for next cycle lol

Accepted today!!!!

By far one of the happiest days of my life. All my hard work and sacrifices over the years have paid off. :biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove:

Beyond excited to join all my fellow classmates this August

Reactions: 15 users
Accepted today!!!!

By far one of the happiest days of my life. All my hard work and sacrifices over the years have paid off. :biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove:

Nice! Stats if u don't mind? Did you get it today?

Accepted today!!!!

Awesome congrats!!! Would you mind sharing your stats as well as IS/OOS?

IS. 506 MCAT, 3.76 GPA. ORM, E01 disadvantaged.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. Do u know if many acceptances go out in July?

Good luck to you. We definitely deserve to get in somewhere!
No idea! I'm assuming it's just going to be attenuating from now on. Probably not likely :\
I just retook my mcat this past weekend to prep for a new cycle.

Thank you! I hope you get in as well!

Accepted today!!!!

See ya there in August! . Congrats again.

Do you know if there is more wait list movement at the moment at the school??
I got an email from MWC saying the last day of withdrawals is 8/1. Take that for what it is worth.

I highly doubt there is gonna be any more substantial wait list movement...

I'm guessing 10-20 people?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey. Im applying here in about 3 weeks! Let the torturous waiting begin.

Reactions: 1 users
Please VCU give me freedom from wait list purgatory!

For those still on the waiting list, don't lose hope! They have been known to accept people even until early August. And they accept 75% from the wait list which I think are pretty good odds compared to other schools. ALSO, VCU gives a scholarship exclusively for the last person admitted to the incoming class every year. So, you never know, this waiting could be a good thing ;)

https://news.vcu.edu/article/Last_seat_in_medical_school_holds_great_honor

For those still on the waiting list, don't lose hope! They have been known to accept people even until early August. And they accept 75% from the wait list which I think are pretty good odds compared to other schools. ALSO, VCU gives a scholarship exclusively for the last person admitted to the incoming class every year. So, you never know, this waiting could be a good thing ;)

https://news.vcu.edu/article/Last_seat_in_medical_school_holds_great_honor

Don't know if I should be happy or sad hearing that...I must have had a really bad application last year to be in the 25 that doesn't get in lmao

Hopefully better luck next cycle...

Don't know if I should be happy or sad hearing that...I must have had a really bad application last year to be in the 25 that doesn't get in lmao

No, this is supposed to be a post of hope! Did you mean you are a reapplicant at VCU (like you applied in the 2014-15 cycle as well) or that you already got rejected?

Because if you're still on the waiting list for VCU now, you can get a call even late July, early August and by some miracle, if you're the last one to get in, then you will get a $$$ship too which makes the wait all the more worth it.

Also, note that the 75% gives preference to the in-state candidates on the waitlist first, so don't be sad about your application. It's just difficult for OOS and we all know that getting into med school in general is a crapshoot.

I think they meant 75% of the class is from the waitlist, not 75% of the waitlist gets accepted...that would be ridiculous

I think they meant 75% of the class is from the waitlist, not 75% of the waitlist gets accepted...that would be ridiculous
MSAR says 75 out of 100 waitlisted applicants were accepted last cycle, class of 210. So actually 75% of WL accepted! Unknown how many of those matriculated. Best of luck to those still waiting.

MSAR says 75 out of 100 waitlisted applicants were accepted last cycle, class of 210. So actually 75% of WL accepted! Unknown how many of those matriculated. Best of luck to those still waiting.
Yeah we've discussed it previously on the thread, but it seems like MSAR doesn't line up exactly with what some were told on interview day. In any case, it's July, so regardless of stats, most seats have been filled and very few of us who are still waiting will be getting in. But we can all hold out hope for that final seat. ;-)

No, this is supposed to be a post of hope! Did you mean you are a reapplicant at VCU (like you applied in the 2014-15 cycle as well) or that you already got rejected?

Because if you're still on the waiting list for VCU now, you can get a call even late July, early August and by some miracle, if you're the last one to get in, then you will get a $$$ship too which makes the wait all the more worth it.

Also, note that the 75% gives preference to the in-state candidates on the waitlist first, so don't be sad about your application. It's just difficult for OOS and we all know that getting into med school in general is a crapshoot.

Nope but will be a reapp next cycle...got swallow that reality pill sometime...its July and schools start in a month so most seats are probably filled..

Nope but will be a reapp next cycle...got swallow that reality pill sometime...its July and schools start in a month so most seats are probably filled..

Sorry to hear that :( It looks like your application wasn't that bad though...your stats are right at the matriculant average and you mentioned you received 3 IIs which is pretty good. When were you complete at most schools? Did you apply DO last time?

Sorry to hear that :( It looks like your application wasn't that bad though...your stats are right at the matriculant average and you mentioned you received 3 IIs which is pretty good. When were you complete at most schools? Did you apply DO last time?

Complete early August at all schools...applied broadly...biggest mistake wasn't applying DO

Complete early August at all schools...applied broadly...biggest mistake wasn't applying DO

Oh wow, that's not even late. I'm going to be complete late August, early September at all schools this cycle because of my late MCAT. However, form what I've heard, before labor day is fine so I don't know what happened in your case. Did you try calling the schools for feedback? Maybe it was an II or essay or LOR problem? Because I'm almost certain it couldn't have been just the stats or ECs. Yours are pretty good!

In any case, I think you will have better luck this time. Enjoy the year off (if the WL doesn't work out) and consider it your last free, fun year to explore all those things you never had time to do, before medicine takes over your life :)

I hope they still accept a few more this month...

anyone know the last day acceptances are sent out? Still trying to keep hope....

Is anyone else still waiting on financial aid? This is painful.

Is anyone else still waiting on financial aid? This is painful.

They take forever! If you were recently admitted and have submitted your FAFSA, I'd wait till next week but if it's been awhile, I'd call in and check. I submitted everything a long time ago but it wasn't until I called and checked in with them that they started processing my financial aid.